TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

25 minutes ago, golfheaven69 said:

If Tiger can come back from his fiasco so can Phil. Time is all it takes. 

Time is what it takes.  However unlike Phil, Tiger didn't turn on the organizations that enriched him to unimaginable levels. 

I'm glad Phil wasn't an engineer working on secret government projects. A guy with a personality like his would rationalize turning over classified information to a foreign government in exchange for cash. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, bobfoster said:

I think you nailed it. Look at all the controversy around the book - and it hasn't even been released yet. 

The scenario could turn into an utter nightmare for Phil. The books hits the streets two days before the tourney begins (every journalist and TV announcer will have read it immediately). Everyone is going to be talking about it even if Phil isn't at the tournament. If he showed up, it would turn into a media frenzy - he'd basically be chum tossed into a bay full of sharks. 

Add to that the fact that he probably wouldn't play very well. This isn't just a normal PGA tourney you show up to play casually. The field will have most of the world's best, playing on a pretty tough course, and (importantly) Phil hasn't played a competitive round in over three months.

Combine the controversy that will be raging, with the fact that his golf itself could very well suck, and the picture that emerges is one in which there's virtually nothing positive that could come out of his appearance. It's all potential downsides, no upsides. 

His best bet (IMO) would be to let the book get released. Let it get publicly digested for a couple months. The public has the attention span of a gnat. (Things become yesterday's news pretty quickly. Won't be forgotten, but won't be as important.) After a couple months, play a Champion's event or two to get tournament ready again before getting back on the PGAT. 

NOTE: Of course, there's still a massive wild card looming over everything. We know the PGAT has formally denied applicants permission to play the June LIV event. As of yet, we don't know how many golfers will play it anyway, or what type and level of penalties the Tour will impose on those that do. Or how the nearly inevitable court battles over the penalties will turn out.

In truth, there's at least some chance we may never see Phil on the PGAT again. He'll have to play the LIV. His days on the PGAT are nearly over anyway, and there's no way he can afford his lifestyle - with an apparently serious gambling addition, huge house, private jet & etc. - from Champion's winnings and making cuts on the PGAT. 

He sold the jet.

17 hours ago, mattwood said:

The good news for Phil with all of his recent financial downfalls is he is a shoe in for winning the PGA Player Impact Progam bonus.🤨

Wrong. As long as Tiger Woods is somewhat active on the PGA Tour he will automatically win the PIP every year. He had that thing locked up with the tweet about Augusta. I remember him taking a plane ride to Augusta 2 days after Scheffler became world no 1, and Tiger was trending on twitter all morning.

Also this is Tiger on 18 on during a practice round at Augusta vs Scottie on Sun. Tiger was huge before the accident, but post-accident w this comeback the guy is immortal and every single public sighting will be news in the golf world.

image.jpeg.0ccdbfc74515e267d98fa659bdc4a0e3.jpegimage.jpeg.bb43fca02e88674efc178d92282823bc.jpeg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, golfheaven69 said:

If Tiger can come back from his fiasco so can Phil. Time is all it takes. 

Tiger had family troubles, injuries, etc and he lost sponsors. But Phil actively "undermined" the tour (call it that if you want to), rationalized playing for the Saudi's despite there human rights records, and basically burned bridges with the PGA Tour and potentially LIV. It's honestly hilarious that year ago Phil was on top of the world and it was possible Tiger would never play on the PGA Tour again. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, miamistomp said:

As someone else noted, time is NOT on Phil's side

He is getting

Too Old To Rock'n'Roll: Too Young To Die! | LP (1976, Gatefold) von ...

In the shuffling madness
Of the locomotive breath
Runs the all-time loser
Headlong to his death

Oh, he feels the piston scraping
Steam breaking on his brow
Old Charlie stole the handle
And the train it won't stop 
Oh no way to slow down
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Time is what it takes.  However unlike Phil, Tiger didn't turn on the organizations that enriched him to unimaginable levels. 

I'm glad Phil wasn't an engineer working on secret government projects. A guy with a personality like his would rationalize turning over classified information to a foreign government in exchange for cash. 

That job is already taken by many others .

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

3 hours ago, KizIsTheMan said:

Tiger had family troubles, injuries, etc and he lost sponsors. But Phil actively "undermined" the tour (call it that if you want to), rationalized playing for the Saudi's despite there human rights records, and basically burned bridges with the PGA Tour and potentially LIV. It's honestly hilarious that year ago Phil was on top of the world and it was possible Tiger would never play on the PGA Tour again. 

Absolutely correct with @krizistheman. 

There’s something about the news conference after Phil won a year ago. There was just an odd facial expression from time to time. Maybe exhaustion. Maybe surprise. Did anyone notice that? I mean he was doing this fasting thing, and not eating. Take a peek.  Hindsight 20/20, but even then he was involved with LIV and a plan to convince players to move over to another league. I think the thing that struck me after seeing it again he looked a bit guilty.

All of a sudden he wins this major, tells about his new regime of exercise and diet, but his eyes seemed, at least to me, showed something else. Initially I thought it was surprise; but maybe it was guilt. 
You pull off this miracle, agreed “lightning in a bottle” from another poster, but the devil is on his shoulder with the immense gambling debt and a gambling problem. 
Its quite sad really. There was just something about that post news conference and I said to myself, somethings not quite right here. 

4 hours ago, KizIsTheMan said:

Wrong. As long as Tiger Woods is somewhat active on the PGA Tour he will automatically win the PIP every year. He had that thing locked up with the tweet about Augusta. I remember him taking a plane ride to Augusta 2 days after Scheffler became world no 1, and Tiger was trending on twitter all morning.

Also this is Tiger on 18 on during a practice round at Augusta vs Scottie on Sun. Tiger was huge before the accident, but post-accident w this comeback the guy is immortal and every single public sighting will be news in the golf world.

image.jpeg.0ccdbfc74515e267d98fa659bdc4a0e3.jpegimage.jpeg.bb43fca02e88674efc178d92282823bc.jpeg

We'll see.  You may be right but Tiger didn't beat him by that much last year and this is before Phil's recent guffaws.  Either way, he's sure to make a few million of this mess.

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125, 54*,58* Titleist Vokey wedges
Odessey White Hot #5

I have few family and friend problem gamblers and it is a life long problem and the actual problem is worst than everyone can imagine. A friend killed himself after losing everything with the house, 401k and he even cashed out his pension leaving behind a broke wife and 2 kids. Phil losing $40 mil in 4 years is probably not everything that he has lost in those 4 years. The gambling addiction will only get worst over the years. I don't believe that Phil's net worth is currently $400 mil as stated in a few news articles. No one with $400 mil is willing to risk everything.

Phil could have been patient. Arnold and Jack made most of their money lending their names to golf course design, endorsements and collect $30 to $50 mil a year. Golf is expanding globally and Phil's brand and potential was really really good. One common thing about the problem gamblers that I know is that as they become desperate they lose the ability to think strategically. Phil is acting like an addict that needs an immediate fix.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, woodriff said:

Absolutely correct with @krizistheman. 

There’s something about the news conference after Phil won a year ago. There was just an odd facial expression from time to time. Maybe exhaustion. Maybe surprise. Did anyone notice that? I mean he was doing this fasting thing, and not eating. Take a peek.  Hindsight 20/20, but even then he was involved with LIV and a plan to convince players to move over to another league. I think the thing that struck me after seeing it again he looked a bit guilty.

All of a sudden he wins this major, tells about his new regime of exercise and diet, but his eyes seemed, at least to me, showed something else. Initially I thought it was surprise; but maybe it was guilt. 
You pull off this miracle, agreed “lightning in a bottle” from another poster, but the devil is on his shoulder with the immense gambling debt and a gambling problem. 
Its quite sad really. There was just something about that post news conference and I said to myself, somethings not quite right here. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that Phil started playing the Saudi International as soon as talk of this new league started back in 2020. I feel like Phil's been involved with this since 2019.  He's had 2 top 10s on tour since the COVID restart and honestly the Champions tour is probably boring AF for Phil.  I also agree that Phil's been involved with this for a really long time and if he didn't win the PGA last year I highly doubt anyone would've cared. 

41 minutes ago, mattwood said:

We'll see.  You may be right but Tiger didn't beat him by that much last year and this is before Phil's recent guffaws.  Either way, he's sure to make a few million of this mess.

It was probably as close as it was because Phil won a major while the only golf Tiger played was a father/son event.  I don't really know how I feel about the PIP. On one hand I think Tiger deserves the first prize for as long as he's somewhat active on tour. He is the reason Golf is even mentioned on ESPN.  On the other hand I think some of that money should be allocated to the purses of the mini-tours and alternate field events sanctioned by the tour.  

54 minutes ago, khalespace said:

I have few family and friend problem gamblers and it is a life long problem and the actual problem is worst than everyone can imagine. A friend killed himself after losing everything with the house, 401k and he even cashed out his pension leaving behind a broke wife and 2 kids. Phil losing $40 mil in 4 years is probably not everything that he has lost in those 4 years. The gambling addiction will only get worst over the years. I don't believe that Phil's net worth is currently $400 mil as stated in a few news articles. No one with $400 mil is willing to risk everything.

Phil could have been patient. Arnold and Jack made most of their money lending their names to golf course design, endorsements and collect $30 to $50 mil a year. Golf is expanding globally and Phil's brand and potential was really really good. One common thing about the problem gamblers that I know is that as they become desperate they lose the ability to think strategically. Phil is acting like an addict that needs an immediate fix.

Ya, Doing a deal with a guy who gets convicted of insider trading…on that very stock

And reportedly not paying Bones 900k

Dont sound like a guy who has 400MM

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Haha 2

On 5/13/2022 at 2:48 PM, bladehunter said:

My question is why.  ? 

mis it because of the media heat ? 

This is obviously speculation, but it could be because he has truly switched his loyalty/interest from the PGA to the LIV.

after bashing the PGA Tour, maybe he feels weird/disingenuous/stupid going back and playing there.

Also maybe some influence of pride/ego not wanting to admit that maybe he needs the PGA. 

and/or

maybe he is in some intensive gambling/addiction treatment facility somewhere (because Amy gave him an ultimatum?)

Edited by straightshot7
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Ya, Doing a deal with a guy who gets convicted of insider trading…on that very stock

And reportedly not paying Bones 900k

Dont sound like a guy who has 400MM

Phil probably doesn't have any cash or liquid assets right now. Property might be the only asset of value. I think I saw on twitter that Phil sold the place he bought in Jupiter, so he must really be grasping straws rn

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 2:03 PM, mattwood said:

The good news for Phil with all of his recent financial downfalls is he is a shoe in for winning the PGA Player Impact Progam bonus.🤨

We thought that last year too, but Tiger once again bested him

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

I don't think it's a coincidence that Phil started playing the Saudi International as soon as talk of this new league started back in 2020. I feel like Phil's been involved with this since 2019.  He's had 2 top 10s on tour since the COVID restart and honestly the Champions tour is probably boring AF for Phil.  I also agree that Phil's been involved with this for a really long time and if he didn't win the PGA last year I highly doubt anyone would've cared. 

You are probably right about long term involvement - There was some interview that he stated his team was involved in writing the Operating agreement which would have taken place a while ago  He and His manager Steve Loy also sold off their management company and golf courses in the last couple years ( could be though that the value of those properties are high right now).  Right now he is in a PR firestorm but he really has nothing to lose - he can play the saudi events and pocket millions with very little pressure and then can have up to 12 starts on the PGA Tour as a non member  ( Seven sponsor exemptions)  he also has the Masters , PGA  and I don't know about the open. The PGA also administers the RYDER Cup and they went out of their way to point out that he is still a lifetime member so HMMMMM maybe this was his master plan all along. 

Phil probably doesn't have any cash or liquid assets right now. Property might be the only asset of value. I think I saw on twitter that Phil sold the place he bought in Jupiter, so he must really be grasping straws rn

There was chatter awhile back about him moving from SoCal -> Jupiter to avoid high taxes so other than family, why would he sell the FL property if the Saudi earnings could be taxed at high rates in Cali ?

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Snead said:

There was chatter awhile back about him moving from SoCal -> Jupiter to avoid high taxes so other than family, why would he sell the FL property if the Saudi earnings could be taxed at high rates in Cali ?

Could be a number of different reasons…

maybe he needs the money.

maybe he has another property in Florida or a different state.

there’s no reason to think he’s staying in california just because of this one sale.