2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

is pasatiempo @ $345 worth it?

JohnDrives2222

2 hours ago, callawayjay said:

Pebble beach is always worth it. The Brandon Dunes homers will say it’s a waste but it’s always worth it. If you can afford it, there’s nothing better. As stated above ymmv 

I think Pebble is totally worth it, everyone should make the trip if you love golf. That being said, give me 3 rounds of Bandon over 1 at pebble. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2022 at 12:34 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

It's all relative to your bank account and what's in your investment portfolio.

But my best advice is to play Pebble Beach at least once in your lifetime (you don't get a 2nd lifetime) for the reason it's the mecca of golf in America.  You'll be walking in the footsteps of Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson and Tiger Woods.  Can you say that about your local course?

I can go out and play Rancho Park for $16 at super-twilight...Jack won his first check there, I believe.  And AP made an infamous 12 on 18...there is a plaque commemorating the feat!  I'm sure hundreds of other pros including Watson and Woods have played there too.  Or go to Encino where you might run into Jim Brown...or Penmar where I changed shoes in the parking lot next to Sugar Ray Leonard.   

When I played Pebble, I can't recall thinking about a PGA pro once during my round.  I did at Merion...mainly because every member feels the need to brag about Jones on number 11!

On 5/16/2022 at 6:59 PM, JohnDrives2222 said:

One of my friends is leaving bay area, so we are trying to get one last round in at a top-tier course in the area.

I've always wanted to go play pasa, but it's now at $345 + $45 (the reservation fee), which pretty much makes it the most expensive tee time beside Pebble.

Given I have duke's membership, a round at spyglass would be around $250, so the thought experiment of the day is, would you pay ~$400 to play Pasatiempo or ~$300 to play Spyglass? 😛

There was a thread about "worst feelings in golf" - and mine was the sadness of playing a final round with a friend, knowing it will probably be the last time you ever play with each other.   😞 

For $100 difference...choose the best experience YOU can imagine - we don't know your friend.   Make it special.  

Here’s how I look at it, if pebble’s layout was built 5 miles inland it’s an average course at best. However, if Pasatiempo’s layout was built on the coast, it would be a top course, not in the country, in the world. That being said, I’ve played both courses many times. If I had the option to play one round of golf in that area, it would Pasa all day every day. $345 isn’t chump change obviously, but $595 for Pebble should come with a jar of lube.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 hour ago, ChipDriver said:

There was a thread about "worst feelings in golf" - and mine was the sadness of playing a final round with a friend, knowing it will probably be the last time you ever play with each other.   😞 

For $100 difference...choose the best experience YOU can imagine - we don't know your friend.   Make it special.  

Great response! I've played both but at a much lower rate than you mentioned.

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

On 8/27/2022 at 3:59 PM, hammergolf said:

Here’s how I look at it, if pebble’s layout was built 5 miles inland it’s an average course at best. However, if Pasatiempo’s layout was built on the coast, it would be a top course, not in the country, in the world. That being said, I’ve played both courses many times. If I had the option to play one round of golf in that area, it would Pasa all day every day. $345 isn’t chump change obviously, but $595 for Pebble should come with a jar of lube.

I feel like with some tour stops within $150 or so of that $595 rate that pebble could be underpriced. 

i agree about moving the courses. Pasa is still great. The architecture is astounding. 

that said….i spend money on golf. If i pump money into fittings and equipment and apparel then I shouldn’t stop at courses because it’s too much. 

Edited by callawayjay

1 hour ago, callawayjay said:

I feel like with some tour stops within $150 or so of that $595 rate that pebble could be underpriced. 

i agree about moving the courses. Pasa is still great. The architecture is astounding. 

that said….i spend money on golf. If i pump money into fittings and equipment and apparel then I shouldn’t stop at courses because it’s too much. 

I spend money traveling and playing golf as well. Going to Ireland for 2 weeks in October, going to Portugal next year for 2 weeks to play golf,  and generally go to Scotland or Ireland every year as well as other domestic trips as well. But if you compare Pebble at $595 (plus mandatory caddy) to Pasa at $350 or Ballybunion at $300, Lahinch at $300, Tralee at $300, Muirfield at $300, Dornoch at $250, Bandon at $250 and sooo many others, Pebble by far is the bottom of the list for golf course vs cost. Pebble is great experience, I’m not bashing it, been there 3 times, but it’s overpriced at $595. However, they keep their tee sheet full so more power to them. One of my guys who went to Ireland with me last year commented that after playing Ballybunion, Lahinch, and Tralee “these courses piss on pebble”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, callawayjay said:

There are certain courses you've got to play in your lifetime.  After you're dead you're not allowed on those courses.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

One of my guys who went to Ireland with me last year commented that after playing Ballybunion, Lahinch, and Tralee “these courses piss on pebble”

Yes, but how much DNA was left behind by Hogan, Arnie Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Tiger?  Pebble is where the greats have walked...

• Like 1

I haven’t paid for a caddy at pebble the last few times I’ve been. It’s a great walk with a pushcart by yourself. 

with Big Sur, the aquarium, the boardwalk in Santa Cruz, and surfing and kayaking it’s always a great trip with my family. I’ll get to Bandon at some point but I love traveling with my family too. 

9 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Yes, but how much DNA was left behind by Hogan, Arnie Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Tiger?  Pebble is where the greats have walked...

Ever heard of Tom Morris, Dr. Alister MacKenzie? Btw, Arnold Palmer designed Lahinch…

Just now, hammergolf said:

Ever heard of Tom Morris, Dr. Alister MacKenzie? Btw, Arnold Palmer designed Lahinch…

I walked by Dr. MacKenzie's house (he was not around to invite me in for a cocktail) at the $345 Pasatiempo course.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I walked by Dr. MacKenzie's house (he was not around to invite me in for a cocktail) at the $345 Pasatiempo course.

He remodeled Lahinch after it was designed by Old Tom Morris. Tom Watson said the best golf course in the world is Ballybunion. I can play both of those courses for less than the price as Pebble. 

3 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

He remodeled Lahinch after it was designed by Old Tom Morris. Tom Watson said the best golf course in the world is Ballybunion. I can play both of those courses for less than the price as Pebble. 

The mecca of golf in America is Pebble Beach. On my deathbed I do not want to say I didn't play Pebble Beach because it was too expensive.  With certain golf courses price should be no matter...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

The mecca of golf in America is Pebble Beach. On my deathbed I do not want to say I didn't play Pebble Beach because it was too expensive.  With certain golf courses price should be no matter...

Good for you.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

It is expensive and I’ve still chosen to get out there as often as possible. What irks me is that I didn’t discover pasa (always knew it was there) until recently and now I’d prob consider it my favorite out there. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 1:14 PM, manku said:

I can go out and play Rancho Park for $16 at super-twilight...Jack won his first check there, I believe.  And AP made an infamous 12 on 18...there is a plaque commemorating the feat!  I'm sure hundreds of other pros including Watson and Woods have played there too.  Or go to Encino where you might run into Jim Brown...or Penmar where I changed shoes in the parking lot next to Sugar Ray Leonard.   

When I played Pebble, I can't recall thinking about a PGA pro once during my round.  I did at Merion...mainly because every member feels the need to brag about Jones on number 11!

It's funny you mention the super twilight because that's literally the only tee time you can get (for the last 2+ yrs).  I used to play Rancho every Friday morning but haven't been able to get a tee time before 5pm since COVID and I had a LA city golf card!

On 8/28/2022 at 9:05 PM, callawayjay said:

It is expensive and I’ve still chosen to get out there as often as possible. What irks me is that I didn’t discover pasa (always knew it was there) until recently and now I’d prob consider it my favorite out there. 

The more I think about it, to me, Pasa might be the best designed 18 holes of public golf in the US. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Every person not a multi millionaire has a cost threshold (basic vs luxury) for any expenditure. Greens fees are no different.

For me, that’s ~$150. There are a ton of options under $150 for me. Anything above, it’s not just a round of golf anymore. You’re paying for a special experience , not just playing golf.

I’ve played Pebble (with a caddy), Spyglass multiple times, Spanish Bay (multi), Pasa (couple)…. Those were special. Golf was a thrown-in bonus.

Edited by 95124hacker
  • Like 1

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

Just played rounds on Sunday and Monday at Pasa and had a blast. Also interesting to note that they reduce green fees if you stay at the Inn at Pasatiempo.

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

On 9/5/2022 at 9:42 AM, mci711 said:

The more I think about it, to me, Pasa might be the best designed 18 holes of public golf in the US. 

Now that I've played here twice, I absolutely agree. it's become one of my favorites. Having said that, I'd gladly pay ~$200 for a round here but $350 is a bit too much. For 350, I'd expect pebble resort level amenities + conditions, and it's not quite there yet

1 hour ago, JohnDrives2222 said:

Now that I've played here twice, I absolutely agree. it's become one of my favorites. Having said that, I'd gladly pay ~$200 for a round here but $350 is a bit too much. For 350, I'd expect pebble resort level amenities + conditions, and it's not quite there yet

I understand it's $345, but considering what normal courses not ranked in the top public 100 courses charge, I understand why Pasa is priced the way it is. Also have to remember what Pasa members pay for a share.

• Like 1

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x