Lose the Yardage Markers

Consider this.  Regarding on-course yardage markers in this century.  Aesthetically things such as artificial markers, poles, painted rocks, etc. are just not pleasing to the eye in an almost-natural environment.  And they, including the small shrubs, just don't need to be there anymore.  Pull 'em off/out of the ground.  Replant the dwarf evergreens elsewhere on the course.

It is 2022 and we have free apps for GPS yardage to the front, center, back of the green.  We have rangefinders for exact yardage to the pin.  Now, I understand if someone doesn't carry/own a smart phone nor wants to invest in a rangefinder.  Courses rent push carts and clubs... why not rent yardage devices?  Or let the guy/gal who wants none of the above just suck yardage from his playing partner who carries a rangefinder.

And here's a shocker:  Regarding those yardage markers, is it 150 yards from the marker to the center of the green?  Or 150 yards from the center of the fairway, equidistant between the markers?  Think about it... it can't be both.

As an example, to make things clearer... take the driving range.  On this range teeing areas run straight across the range.  And at 250 yards there is a tall net (to keep long hitters from hitting the houses beyond) that runs parallel to the tee ground.  Say you set up one Saturday morning at the far right end of the range.  If you hit that net by hitting down the right side the question becomes "Will you also hit the net if you aim for the middle section, down the center of the range?  Will you even get close to it if you aim cross range to the left side?"  Of course not.

Therein lies the problem with yardage markers on the course.

Besides the aesthetics, of course.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

1 minute ago, Warrior42111 said:

I think they can still serve a purpose if used correctly.

I know if me and my partner are on other sides of the hole we'll stop in the middle. I'll grab a couple clubs based on the yardage marker then go to the ball with my GPS, that way I have the right club ready and am not the douchecanoe going to the ball, measuring, walking back to the cart slowing down play. 

Good point.  I do that, as well, if I'm not walking.  Or, in a cart, cartpaths only, you can do what a slo-mo golf buddy of mine does:  He'll walk to his ball, use his rangefinder, then walk back to his cart and get his club!

Yeah i'm not on board with this one, the amount of golfers not using Rangefinders or GPS even at private clubs is still probably decent. If i had to guess at my club, maybe 50%+ still don't.

When talking about the unkempt masses that play public courses this is probably way less. And i'm not sure forcing them to use GPS apps on their phone won't slow down play a bit

I don't find the markers that distracting. Most places i've seen use those little dinner plate type things in the ground. So appearance wise it barely makes a difference

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

44 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

And here's a shocker:  Regarding those yardage markers, is it 150 yards from the marker to the center of the green?  Or 150 yards from the center of the fairway, equidistant between the markers?  Think about it... it can't be both.

Since the history of mankind, or at least, as long as I have been playing, it's 150 from the marker to the center of the green.

However, if you have two 150 yard markers on each side of a 30 yard wide fairway, and you're right between them, some quick trig shows that you're at 149.2 yards, so within the tolerance of most laser range finders.

They absolutely still have their purpose, especially if they are ABOVE ground, since you can then laser off to specific points from the tee box.

Edited by larrybud
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

the amount of golfers not using Rangefinders or GPS even at private clubs is still probably decent. If i had to guess at my club, maybe 50%+ still don't.

Found this from a 2012 article on GolfTamers.com:

It’s hard to say “no” to a convenient device that makes getting the distance you need fast and accurately.

In fact, a poll done in 2012 revealed that about 69 percent of golf players that participated in the poll use a rangefinder.

I'm sure it varies from course to course, but I'd think the percentage would be much high 10 years later.

4 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Found this from a 2012 article on GolfTamers.com:

It’s hard to say “no” to a convenient device that makes getting the distance you need fast and accurately.

In fact, a poll done in 2012 revealed that about 69 percent of golf players that participated in the poll use a rangefinder.

I'm sure it varies from course to course, but I'd think the percentage would be much high 10 years later.

7 of 10 sounds very high to me. Maybe i am wrong --I definitely could see it among serious golfers. Like of the top 50 players in my club it's probably 90+ percent.

But i think a lot of weekend golfers still don't, like dudes who play public courses etc. So unless it's a major distraction (i don't find it to be) i don't see any real urgency to change things

as @larrybud points out above using them to calculate layup shots with your rangefinder could also be a good use of them.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

3 minutes ago, larrybud said:

However, if you have two 150 yard markers on each side of a 30 yard wide fairway, and you're right between them, some quick trig shows that you're at 149.2 yards, so within the tolerance of most laser range finders.

I think it depends on the distance between the two markers.  The further apart they are (a mile?) the closer you are to the center of the green.  The next time I'm on the course, if I get the opportunity, I will scope the distance from both markers, and from the center of the fairway, to the center of the green.  Larry, using your trig, how far apart did you put the markers?

I have never used a rangefinder or GPS on the course, unless it was installed in a cart.  I used the numbers on sprinkler heads and never found the 150 post distracting.  Then again, I just started back after 10 years, so I would probably be more likely to use now than in the past.  

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

32 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

... but they're so unsightly.

Disagree.  I enjoy seeing a barber pole marking 150 yards in.  Of course that's a matter of personal taste and purely subjective, I don't particularly care for some of the other things that I've seen used to mark distance.

• Like 1

If a little White and Red stick are that much of an eye sore on a course that already has red markers to mark OB then I really don't know what to say.

I've played a few courses where the markers were on the cart path and it was completely useless unless you were on the cart path and knew where you ball was which you couldn't see from said cart path most of the time.

As for renting out distance devices that's extra money for the course to put up at the start where a wooden stake costs them what $100 for the whole course? 

Also while I don't rely on them when hitting into a green they are helpful off the tee if you can see it to give an idea of what you can hit to give yourself a better distance into the green, as for into the green if walking or cart path the ball around a marker gives me a general idea so I grab a few clubs, ping the flag with my rangefinder and then hit. 

They're not really useless or that unsightly, heck I see more garbage on courses half the time that's even worse. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

One of the courses I play uses painted (red-white-blue) rocks on either side of the fairway.  They're about medicine ball size.

But you sure don't want to hit one of them with your drive and go careening off sideways.  Unless you're catapulted back to the center of the fairway.😁

13 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I think it depends on the distance between the two markers.  The further apart they are (a mile?) the closer you are to the center of the green.  The next time I'm on the course, if I get the opportunity, I will scope the distance from both markers, and from the center of the fairway, to the center of the green.  Larry, using your trig, how far apart did you put the markers?

I put them 30 yards apart, which I figure is a good average for the width of fairways, if you had one on each side of the FW.

But whether it's 20 apart of 50 apart, the difference is small. Even if they were 50 yards apart and you're at the 100 yard marker (closer you are, the larger the error), the center of the FW between the two is 97 yards from the center of the green.

Pythagoras theorem:

sqrt(100^2 - 25^2) = 96.8

2 minutes ago, larrybud said:

Even if they were 50 yards apart and you're at the 100 yard marker (closer you are, the larger the error), the center of the FW between the two is 97 yards from the center of the green.

And who among us is accurate enough to have a + or - 3 yards variance?  Unless you're a plus handicap.

5 minutes ago, larrybud said:

Thus my point. BTW, 3 yards is still more accurate than consumer GPS.

Though I guess I still like to get the exact yardage, to at least limit that variable, via a laser rangefinder.  Just my preference.

I think the markers, regardless of whether they are stakes, rocks, plates, or anything else, give a course character. Obviously they should be maintained once in a while but I appreciate them being out there. 

• Like 1

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

Just now, iknowbagu said:

I think the markers, regardless of whether they are stakes, rocks, plates, or anything else, give a course character. Obviously they should be maintained once in a while but I appreciate them being out there. 

I love the plastic tubes in the ground that an angry golfer will hack off half-way down the post.

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Or, in a cart, cartpaths only,

You want to talk about UNSIGHTLY? Cart paths are the very top of the list. 

• Like 2

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I love the plastic tubes in the ground that an angry golfer will hack off half-way down the post.

The trick is to fill those plastic tubes with cement. Let the angry guy break his club or his wrist instead of the course. 

• Like 2

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

1 minute ago, blackbdmillsaps said:

You want to talk about UNSIGHTLY? Cart paths are the very top of the list. 

Agreed.  Chambers Bay has no cart paths... at least that I can see.  And Pebble Beach put theirs out of view up in the trees, away from the ocean cliffs.  Bandon Dunes is similar.

6 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Agreed.  Chambers Bay has no cart paths... at least that I can see.  And Pebble Beach put theirs out of view up in the trees, away from the ocean cliffs.  Bandon Dunes is similar.

So let's focus on that. If you asked golfers whether they had more of an issue with unsightly cart paths (of which there are miles and miles on golf courses) or small poles in the fairway...I would bet on the paths. ESPECIALLY CART PATHS AROUND GREENS. I might have to go find the latest "death to cart paths" thread and get some of my angst out there. Cart paths rarely "help" good players.

Did anyone mention that you can aim at the yardage poles on unfamiliar courses? I find that helpful as it tells you (usually) the widest part of the fairway at 150 yds out. 

Edited by blackbdmillsaps

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

One thing they do help is with people not familiar with the course, gives them some guidance on where the center of the fairway is.  Once played with a friend who was just starting out and learning golf terms, he was laying up to the 150 pole after a wayward drive and said "Be right...."  Gives us a good laugh looking back at that moment now that he knows to reserve that saying for when he is about to stick the flag, not the yardage marker.