2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Will we see the end of concrete/asphalt cart paths in the next few decades?

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

1.  More opportunity to land on the middle-of-fairway cart path and get pro length on your drives.

2.  If you put your music in the bottle holder where are you going to put your traveling cocktail???

Water bottle goes into the netting under, I don't walk very often but I got it figured out for when I do!  I personally save the cocktails for after the round!

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Many golf courses in Japan use a slurry-like material made from old tires that’s poured then hardens into a spongy surface that’s easy on golf balls and deadens the bounce. It’s great around the clubhouse.

And there are still courses that are walking only with caddies.

• Like 3

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

48 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Now that's the answer.  I've done it twice.  Once in the Dominican and the other time in Venezuela, a long, long time ago...

It's the only way to fly! 😉

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Agree Cart paths should run down the center of each hole, not along the sides.  Hitting it dead straight would result in a deserved big bounce forward.  A ball would never bounce off of the path and go OB or into a hazard.  On cart path only days,  walk time to and from the ball would be reduced, resulting in faster rounds.  Distances to the green could be marked on the path.

28 minutes ago, DonatelloNobodie said:

Agree Cart paths should run down the center of each hole, not along the sides.  Hitting it dead straight would result in a deserved big bounce forward.  A ball would never bounce off of the path and go OB or into a hazard.  On cart path only days,  walk time to and from the ball would be reduced, resulting in faster rounds.  Distances to the green could be marked on the path.

If I want to look at concrete straight in front of me I'll take the freeway. 😁

• Like 2

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

15 hours ago, ruascott said:

Our club ditched asphalt paths and replaced them with a crushed granite product that uses some kind of binding polymer. 

Big improvement... any ball that hits them just dies in place.... hopefully they hold up.  Something like this 

spacer.png

That's a classy look too.

Local private course has paths that end at the start of the fairway.  You then scatter the cart traffic through the fairway.  Path picks back up somewhere around the green.  Most par threes have a full length path.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smashdn said:

That's a classy look too.

Local private course has paths that end at the start of the fairway.  You then scatter the cart traffic through the fairway.  Path picks back up somewhere around the green.  Most par threes have a full length path.

That works great for private courses. They have the member's money regardless of whether they're playing or not. Most public courses depend on the cart paths for revenue. Whether it's the cart fees, or simply the rounds played when the weather doesn't allow carts on the fairways (CPO), contiguous paths are a necessity. I know of several public courses that had no choice but to extend the paths throughout the course. Simply too many missed rounds when it was walking only. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

19 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

That works great for private courses. They have the member's money regardless of whether they're playing or not. Most public courses depend on the cart paths for revenue. Whether it's the cart fees, or simply the rounds played when the weather doesn't allow carts on the fairways (CPO), contiguous paths are a necessity. I know of several public courses that had no choice but to extend the paths throughout the course. Simply too many missed rounds when it was walking only. 

For public, no question that continuous paths are needed both for allowing play on CPO days as well as serving clientele that is going to be majority riding unless you're a destination resort. I am a fan neither of cart paths nor riding in general, but this is the reality and riding does have a place in golf for those who prefer it. 

I'm pretty torn on the concrete/asphalt vs. sand/gravel debate, sand/gravel looks nicer if maintained and it impacts play less, but it also definitely requires more frequent maintenance and the dust can also be a real issue. When not maintained, a potholed or washboarded gravel path is a nightmare to drive on and also really loud for surrounding players. 

At our private, majority walking club we replaced a lot of our crushed stone paths with sod a few years ago and also paved over some problematic high-traffic gravel ones to combat dust and frequent maintenance needs. This has worked well for us, but would not be viable for a public course or one where carts were used by more than 25% of golfers. I love the idea of the crushed stone + binder (presumably Klingstone or something similar) idea @ruascott noted above for courses like ours, but also not really an option for most public tracks. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08 @51
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 57*
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

On 5/20/2022 at 6:50 PM, MountainKing said:

it would speed up cart path only and you wouldn't have to worry about landing on one that results in the ball going in a hazard or OB.

It would be an eyesore but I cannot argue with your logic. A cartpath down the middle makes sense for numerous reasons, the one you mentioned AND when it is cart path only you have 1/2 as far to walk in many cases. Again, I mostly walk but it is most frustrating when you miss a green 5 yards left and hit the CP and bounce OB. That absolutely sucks. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

On 5/23/2022 at 5:08 AM, DonatelloNobodie said:

Reminds me of an old joke among greenskeepers. 

“what’s the safest place on a golf course?”

right next to the flag stick

On 5/23/2022 at 5:08 AM, DonatelloNobodie said:

Uh, no...  It's bad enough scuffing up balls on paths to the side of the fairway, hitting a perfect shot down the middle and ruining a ball would be really annoying.  Not to mention trying to lay up short of water or what have you and having the ball hit the path and go too far into the penalty area.  LOL I hate cart paths but putting them in the middle of the fairway would not be such a good idea. 

• Like 1

Aesthetically zero paths and properly maintained rough on a private course.

Public's need paths even though they look terrible. Until you have played a course with ZERO cart paths of any sort, you don't realize how visual the difference is. Courses that utilize sand/gravel of some sort that blends in with the landscape is ideal... but nothing is worse than dry dust kicking up - and as mentioned, pot holes. Paving asphalt is probably a larger upfront cost but less to maintain over 10 years unless the club is a dog track and doesn't maintain their gravel paths.

• Like 1

TM Qi10LS 8*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Series 70 Flex-X

PXG 0341 X Gen 2 3W 15*, Devotion 75 Flex 04 (S) 

Titleist T-100 (2019) 3-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 Flex S

Titleist Vokey SM9 50* 08F, 56* 14F, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 125 Wedge Flex S

Titleist Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5

22 hours ago, blackbdmillsaps said:

It would be an eyesore but I cannot argue with your logic. A cartpath down the middle makes sense for numerous reasons, the one you mentioned AND when it is cart path only you have 1/2 as far to walk in many cases. Again, I mostly walk but it is most frustrating when you miss a green 5 yards left and hit the CP and bounce OB. That absolutely sucks. 

It would be a total eyesore, but one I'm willing to put up with to improve pace on CPO days and decrease those awful bounces you get on the path that throw the ball in a bad place or a hazard.  Or maybe not even that extreme, just have the path cross the fairway at some pont like you see on a lot of holes.   

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Just now, PNWGuy said:

Why does almost every thread include a negative allusion to loud music? 

grumpy old men love to complain, and now they have access to the internet.

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

On 5/22/2022 at 9:57 PM, Soloman1 said:

Many golf courses in Japan use a slurry-like material made from old tires that’s poured then hardens into a spongy surface that’s easy on golf balls and deadens the bounce. It’s great around the clubhouse.

That is how they make those rubbery feeling running tracks.  I worked at a rubber component manufacturer and we would ship our cured runners and flash to a company in Ohio to grind and re-process into either crumb rubber for turf athletic fields or integrate into the running track.

On 5/25/2022 at 12:10 PM, PNWGuy said:

Why does almost every thread include a complaint about loud music? 

With the exception of the person playing the music, it is generally not well received.  You have a large segment who doesn't want to hear the music on the course and another that probably doesn't want to hear the music you want to hear on the course.  I don't see many golfers, even those who choose to listen to music, who condone playing it loudly on the course.

One of the least enjoyable rounds on the course was made that way due to the contribution of music that was both inappropriate for the company and at a volume magnitudes beyond excessive.  Long story short, you don't blast gangster rap from your cart in a mixed sexes scramble.  Especially after the lady has informed you she doesn't appreciate the lyrics.

Edited by smashdn
  • Like 2

Cart paths are necessary, but there has to be a better solution than asphalt or concrete.  They almost always turn into bumpy pot hole ridden messes around here and courses cannot afford to repair them.  

It seems to me that sand or gravel with high traffic areas in asphalt or concrete works better.  I have played a few courses with that setup and it seemed to work better. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Subsonic said:

Cart paths are necessary, but there has to be a better solution than asphalt or concrete.  They almost always turn into bumpy pot hole ridden messes around here and courses cannot afford to repair them.  

It seems to me that sand or gravel with high traffic areas in asphalt or concrete works better.  I have played a few courses with that setup and it seemed to work better. 

The course I played yesterday had packed sand paths. A little rough in spots, but certainly no worse than the worst asphalt paths I've run across. Certainly looks a lot better than endless sea of concrete or asphalt. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 5/27/2022 at 7:38 AM, smashdn said:

That is how they make those rubbery feeling running tracks.  I worked at a rubber component manufacturer and we would ship our cured runners and flash to a company in Ohio to grind and re-process into either crumb rubber for turf athletic fields or integrate into the running track.

With the exception of the person playing the music, it is generally not well received.  You have a large segment who doesn't want to hear the music on the course and another that probably doesn't want to hear the music you want to hear on the course.  I don't see many golfers, even those who choose to listen to music, who condone playing it loudly on the course.

One of the least enjoyable rounds on the course was made that way due to the contribution of music that was both inappropriate for the company and at a volume magnitudes beyond excessive.  Long story short, you don't blast gangster rap from your cart in a mixed sexes scramble.  Especially after the lady has informed you she doesn't appreciate the lyrics.

Regarding my comment...  I totally understand where you are coming from.  I was asking why comments about music on the course show as non-sequiturs to the original topic.  I'm not sure how music on the course relates to cart paths.  I guess it is on people's minds.

I can totally see a blades vs. cavity backs or denim on course post on the horizon.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, PNWGuy said:

Regarding my comment...  I totally understand where you are coming from.  I was asking why comments about music on the course show as non-sequiturs to the original topic.  I'm not sure how music on the course relates to cart paths.  I guess it is on people's minds.

I can totally see a blades vs. cavity backs or denim on course post on the horizon.

I just think folks want to go off topic, get their non-sequitur in on their pet peeves, when and where they can.

Now, about those Levis on the cart path...

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Haha 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

On 5/18/2022 at 12:50 PM, blackbdmillsaps said:

Cart paths are terrible. Straight up. They almost never "help" you and for every time you get an added 30 yards on your drive from hitting the cart path, ......

I've played courses for decades with cart paths and my guess is that I hit a path less than one time out of 100 rounds of golf, or one out of 1800 tee shots.  So, I think this problem should go to the bottom of the list of golf course issues.