Do I really need a 5 iron?

darkairplane

I bought the same set and have a high handicap (28). I did not get the 5 iron and bought 6-W1, since the loft (23 degrees) is simply too low to get airborne consistently. Now your swing speed sems pretty high for a beginner if you carry your 7 iron over 160 yards (although that might be because the launch is low), so you might be able to get some distance out of it, but still, if you only manage to do that 1 time out of 10 you'll still be better of getting a 23 degree hybrid. Those are way easier to get distance and height out of than the 5 iron. I'm surprised about your height and spin number btw, I was under the impression that the AMT red was a high launching, high spinning shaft. I have the AMT red in regular and launch conditions seem fine, although I have not measured them.

I did order the W2 wedge afterwards, which is 53 degrees and that thing is a life saver around the greens and for pitches inside 70 yards. It is very easy to chip/pitch with, much easier than most bladed wedges, so if you're going to consider an extra club, then I would recommend you get the W2 instead of the 5. I know I got much more use out of that one, than I would ever get out of the 5. 

Edited by BasK
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesWA said:

Still mentally a bit hard for me to get rid of the 5 iron. Especially in graphite which gets my speed up.

I never played a 2 iron, while the 3 and 4 irons of my youth are long gone. 

I played a 3 iron as a little kid and couldn't figure out why the 5 iron was just as long! 

It took a lot of hunting on eBay, but I found a ladies Mavrik Max 4 iron 22* with a 40g LL graphite shaft that I use as a driving iron!

I use it in the fairway to hit under trees or up an incline.

I agree that most folks would be better off without low lofted irons unless you have already learned to hit low lofted irons.

Edited by ShortGolfer

Sure you don't need a 5i. I'm pushing 50 and I recently swapped mine out with a 5h and even then I don't hit it all that often.

I'm not even going to comment on all the nonsense about not being able to hit certain lofts without taking everything else into consideration, such as shaft, head type, etc. Just go get fit and stop reading the internet.

11 hours ago, darkairplane said:

Will the regular flex r300 help my numbers?  I can try other shafts when I get a chance to go back.

A couple of things to consider. You chart your CHS with a 7i at 77-81 MPH. This is slightly above average for everyday golfers, especially beginners. With clubhead speed, and the fact you get low launch and low spin with a mid-high launch shaft, I would suggest a tune-up lesson.

A good instructor can point out any bad moves in your swing that are hurting your impact. And, a good instructor can take you further in a half hour than you can take yourself - hit and miss - in a whole season. Since you're a beginner, get any glaring errors teased out of your swing at the beginning.

image.png.941534a6c2a29acd3bff23c55e0e5bee.pngBack to shafts. Here are two of the lighter stock shafts offered with the T300:

Your AMT Red and the Tensei Blue are both AMT shafts. This is ascending mass technology, meaning the longer iron shafts are lighter than the shorter shafts. This helps with launch on the longer irons, and helps keep the shorter shafts from ballooning (flying too high).

In AMT Red, 4i-7i are all 94 or 95 grams, and then increase in 3-gram increments from 8i shaft on up.

image.png.958b954942f564cc3941e69d4c66ae81.png

The Tensei Blue has a similar plan, but increases in 2-gram increments from 3i up through wedges. In this shaft, the main difference between R and S flexes is torque and stiffness.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

19 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

A couple of things to consider. You chart your CHS with a 7i at 77-81 MPH. This is slightly above average for everyday golfers, especially beginners. With clubhead speed, and the fact you get low launch and low spin with a mid-high launch shaft, I would suggest a tune-up lesson.

A good instructor can point out any bad moves in your swing that are hurting your impact. And, a good instructor can take you further in a half hour than you can take yourself - hit and miss - in a whole season. Since you're a beginner, get any glaring errors teased out of your swing at the beginning.

image.png.941534a6c2a29acd3bff23c55e0e5bee.pngBack to shafts. Here are two of the lighter stock shafts offered with the T300:

Your AMT Red and the Tensei Blue are both AMT shafts. This is ascending mass technology, meaning the longer iron shafts are lighter than the shorter shafts. This helps with launch on the longer irons, and helps keep the shorter shafts from ballooning (flying too high).

In AMT Red, 4i-7i are all 94 or 95 grams, and then increase in 3-gram increments from 8i shaft on up.

image.png.958b954942f564cc3941e69d4c66ae81.png

The Tensei Blue has a similar plan, but increases in 2-gram increments from 3i up through wedges. In this shaft, the main difference between R and S flexes is torque and stiffness.

I had Nippon 750GHs in my 2009 AP2s and then when I got fit for irons last fall, my TPI fitter and I got it down between the Zelos 7 (next gen 750) and the AV Blue AM2s in a set of T100, as the numbers were pretty much identical I went with the AM2s as the Zelos 7 felt too tip stiff for me, and I'm glad I did. Ball flies higher than ever before. I almost wonder what would have happened if I were to have tried the AV Reds (higher launch, higher spin), but my fitter said my numbers for height and land angle were on the money.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

20 hours ago, darkairplane said:

Beginner here.  I would like to purchase a set of 2021 T300 irons.  I'm thinking I should order 6-W1 in order to be somewhat close to "traditional" lofts.  Do I really need the T300 5 iron (23 degree loft)?  23 degree loft is more like a 4 iron.  I don't think I can generate enough speed to hit 23 degrees longer than the t300 6 iron (26 degrees).

I wouldn't bother with the 5 iron. Go 6-W and get a hybrid or GAPR type clube. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, darkairplane said:

Ok, I went to my local shop to get some numbers.  Unfortunately since supply is low everywhere they only had STIFF S300 AMT RED steel in the 2021 T300 irons.  I know I’m not fast enough for stiff so I just wanted to get some numbers to post here.  Will the regular shaft increase my decent angle? The numbers shown are from a 2021 T300 7 iron (29 degrees).

A9D857B4-BD84-4818-90F1-ADA2ED450BBB.jpeg

2589F707-6EC0-4693-86B1-47DEDEF44322.jpeg

Just curious, but what golf ball was used for this session? Like others have mentioned, your spin numbers are very low...I have a similar issue.  What I learned in my fitting was the golf ball and loft make a much larger impact to your spin numbers vs something like a shaft change.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

I dumped my 5i for the 5h - 100g shaft built 38.75" also play 4udi & 9wd

Extended testing stated I might hit the 5i closer 3 outta 20 solid shots. The 5h produced groupings that were unmatched by the 5i irregardless 

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

16 hours ago, JamesWA said:

Still mentally a bit hard for me to get rid of the 5 iron. Especially in graphite which gets my speed up.

I never played a 2 iron, while the 3 and 4 irons of my youth are long gone. 

I still have a MINT MP-32 3-iron in my garage. Got it with the set and never put it in my bag. Even when I was hitting a 35-degree 8-iron 150, I couldn't hit anything but stingers with the 3-iron. 5-wood always made more sense. 

I'm hanging onto my 5-iron because with lighter shafts (went from 120g Project X 6.0 to Modus 105), I can still hit it. My SS on 7-iron is around 82mph. Under 80mph should be looking to 22 degree hybrid over a 5-iron IMHO.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, djmohab2 said:

AV Blue AM2s in a set of T100, as numbers were pretty much identical I went with the AM2s as the Zelos 7 felt too tip stiff...

I almost wonder what would have happened if I were to have tried the AV Reds (higher launch, higher spin), but my fitter said my numbers for height and land angle were on the money.

image.png.782b9824982466d2a69c26a7741a5b98.png

The AMT Reds weigh about 25 grams more than the AV Blues. This likely would have cut down on clubhead speed, costing you distance. Shaft weight: too heavy slows swing, too light you can't feel when at top. (Torque is more of a feel thing, helps square up.)

Sounds like you hit happy medium!

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Ask yourself this... Can you hit the ball further and better than Nelly Korda the top woman player, or at least was

Nelly only carries up to 27 degree iron. 

Must people would do better looking in the bags of lpga players. 

If you swing a driver at 105mph+, it can be worth trying a 23-24* iron, or if you play links style and value low runners over height. 

• Like 3

Hybrids all day from 5 up. I will dabble from time to time with srixon zu85 4 and 5 irons in the bag but inevitably go back to my hybrids. 

I will say the 4,5 iron zu85 have stayed in the bag longer of late since putting a recoil shaft in them.

but for a beginner, make the game as fun and easy as possible. 

just my two cents

• Like 1

Current WITB 2023...

• Callaway Epic Speed 9.5 - Hzrudus RDX Smoke Black 6.5 60g
  • Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 16.5 4W
  • Adams Idea Pro A12 3 Hybrid 20 & 23 - Matrix Ozik Altus S Flex
  • SRIXON ZX5 / ZX7 COMBO 5-PW
  • SM7 50.08F, SM8 56.12F, SM8 58 M 
  • Odyssey Tri Hot Triple Wide

No don't do it.....there's an old gambling term 6 will get you 5....in this case your 6 is a 5.....play the gap numbers game and get into a hybrid/wood as quick as you can for those shots i'm assuming over 180-200+ yards.....i'd also suggest when moving into hybrids and fairway woods, look for ones that are adjustable to tune your gaps and ball flight

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 9:16 AM, ShortGolfer said:

I agree that most folks would be better off without low lofted irons unless you have already learned to hit low lofted irons.

I actually just went the other direction. I've always hit long irons decently, but during my recent fitting they recommended getting 5-pw. During the rounds I've played so far this year, the gap between my 5i and 4h was too big. The 5i didn't go far enough for multiple scenarios, yet the 4h was going much to far. I kept finding my self in situations where I thought man it would be nice to have a 4i still! 😆 "Finessing" a 4h doesn't generally work well for me. Just ordered the 4i to go with my set which I have, but haven't hit yet. It's really a 3i, and I always liked having/hitting a 3i.

But I do agree newer players, or those who struggle with longer irons may not need a 5i.

• Like 1

There are a two holes in which I routinely hit low runners off the tee.

The 2nd hole has a nasty hill.  If you get past it there is no telling where the ball will bounce!  It could be in the woods or hiding in the patchy grass.  Maybe buried in the dirt.

The fifth hole is really short but in a hollow with very poor light.  If I hit it high in the air half the time I never see it again. 

Better to hit a low shot and watch it skip along the grass.  Really tough hole when the ground is covered with fall leaves.

I've used a low runner go get past a tree guarding a hole, but have avoided doing that with better course management skills.

Edited by ShortGolfer

Just ordered a 5h to match my 4h.  I can hit my 5i maybe 4 out of 5 times with intended results, but my confidence level before the swing is less than that, if that makes any sense.  I'm about 90% confident with my 4h, so I'm expecting more consistency from the 5h when it arrives.  Trajectory/distance/accuracy comparisons will also be factors as to which one stays in the bag.

Edited by Short Bucket
  • Like 2

I dropped my 5i 23* for a 27* hybrid because I struggled to hit my 5i consistently well.

What was just an experiment turned out great. Consistent carry gap I needed in my set.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

I went to the shop to try out a 23 degree hybrid to possibly replace the 5 iron 2021 T300 (23 degrees).  Id like to remind everyone that I am a beginner so the following was my experience.  When I tried the 5 iron the ball went straight but low.  When I tried the hybrid the the ball went to the right.  With both shots my ball placement was inside my left foot (right handed player).  The attendant at the shop stated that with hybrids I am to place the ball more in the center of my stance.  Is this correct?  I personally like the look of an iron than a hybrid but I will go with the one that performs better.  I will return later this week to get numbers and performance for both.

Edited by darkairplane

On 5/19/2022 at 3:12 PM, rondre3000 said:

Just curious, but what golf ball was used for this session? Like others have mentioned, your spin numbers are very low...I have a similar issue.  What I learned in my fitting was the golf ball and loft make a much larger impact to your spin numbers vs something like a shaft change.

I will double check later this week.

Those are pretty solid numbers especially for beginner. Accuracy and standard deviations better with the iron, higher ball speed indicating a better strike etc. Also wouldn’t call a peak height of 102 with a descent of 44.5 low, and only likely to improve as you gain speed

Probably unnecessary to overthink things and just go with the iron, but you could try the adjusting the lie angle on the hybrid more upright (A2 setting) and see if that straightens it out.  

I wouldn’t say you play a hybrid more back in the stance than an iron; it’s more that you have to ensure that the ball is not creeping too far forward with the hybrid and you hit it the same as the iron. Lots of people (myself included) look at a hybrid and then want to sweep it like a wood, but you have to Jedi mind trick yourself into thinking that you’re looking at an iron.

As @GolfTurkey stated, we hit hybrids (generally) more like irons than woods. So down a bit onto the ball. But a lot less so than a 6i.

Also a 23* hybrid will go quite a bit farther (and higher) than a 23* iron all else being equal. Your iron being further than your hybrid of the same degree suggests to me that you are not hitting the hybrid well. Too down on it maybe?

Edited by sshadow2

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3