2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Help a newbie out!

PracticeSwinger

Long story short, ex hockey guy that started to play two years ago regularly (40-50ish rounds/year), decent ball striker (but nothing elite obviously) playing to a 5-6ish cap – got relatively recent driver (G410), 3wood (G425), 3hybrid (Sim2 19*) and wedges (50*: TM MG2 / 54*: RTX / 58*: SM8) … and I’m playing G10s 4-W (46*), efficient but old clubs (especially for WRXers!) … and I’m looking for the general opinion on; worth the move, and if so, what type of irons are we talking about?... I’m still at the improving / grooving state swing wise but relatively consistent carry distances and misses are usually pulls due to an out-in 2-3* path and a matching face, that are baby fades when the face hasn’t closed as much… all ears

Just now, getitdaily said:

Do you anticipate continuing to play a ton and continuing to get better?

That's the plan - probably the same amount of rounds (and practices) in the next couple years and hoping for more playing time afterwards... I'm quite the gritty guy that loves to groove it out... and golf is a 'priority' (as much as it can be for a regular office working dude)

22 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

That's the plan - probably the same amount of rounds (and practices) in the next couple years and hoping for more playing time afterwards... I'm quite the gritty guy that loves to groove it out... and golf is a 'priority' (as much as it can be for a regular office working dude)

5-6 cap and getting better. It's time for better player clubs...

You're a good candidate for t100 or a blended mizuno set (forgiving 4 and 5 irons).

• Thanks 1

Just now, getitdaily said:

5-6 cap and getting better. It's time for better player clubs...

You're a good candidate for t100 or a blended mizuno set (forgiving 4 and 5 irons).

Thanks - I've looked at the T100s and 221/223/225 or Hot Metal mixed set (and read a few threads on them here)... I've never hit a players iron and I'm wondering if my shovels are hiding faults (but I certainly don't want this thread to become a nth blade/GI debate haha); guess there's only one way to find out!

5 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

Thanks - I've looked at the T100s and 221/223/225 or Hot Metal mixed set (and read a few threads on them here)... I've never hit a players iron and I'm wondering if my shovels are hiding faults (but I certainly don't want this thread to become a nth blade/GI debate haha); guess there's only one way to find out!

Do it.

21 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

I would go to a local box store if you can and try out some stuff. Some will let you rent demo clubs (maybe try a few 7i) and hit the range and the course. Personally I wouldn’t rush buying a set just to get “better players clubs.” If you truly are a 5-6 after 2 years, why not get fit? Try some stuff and see what you like and then have someone spec you out properly. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LoopySwing13 said:

I would go to a local box store if you can and try out some stuff. Some will let you rent demo clubs (maybe try a few 7i) and hit the range and the course. Personally I wouldn’t rush buying a set just to get “better players clubs.” If you truly are a 5-6 after 2 years, why not get fit? Try some stuff and see what you like and then have someone spec you out properly. 

Fitting will definitely be the way to go... and interesting idea on demo rentals (will try to look into this) - and hitting the executive course nearby

I pIayed a full Ping G15 bag (save for LW) when i was +0.5 and playing in tournaments like 10yrs ago. G's won't really hold you back if you like them and are comfortable with them. G10's are still fine clubs

It's really what you want to do, i use blades now and have used everything in between (Player's distance, forged CBs etc)

There's differences between them, but i think if you go into it thinking clubs will change your game in some kind of significant way, it's usually not the case.

Only thing i'd caution against is playing clubs that are too small before you are really confident in your swing. More for visual reasons than anything. They aren't impossible to hit, it's just that 4 iron can look mighty small on days where you aren't confident

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

16 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I pIayed a full Ping G15 bag (save for LW) when i was +0.5 and playing in tournaments like 10yrs ago. G's won't really hold you back if you like them and are comfortable with them. G10's are still fine clubs

It's really what you want to do, i use blades now and have used everything in between (Player's distance, forged CBs etc)

There's differences between them, but i think if you go into it thinking clubs will change your game in some kind of significant way, it's usually not the case.

Only thing i'd caution against is playing clubs that are too small before you are really confident in your swing. More for visual reasons than anything. They aren't impossible to hit, it's just that 4 iron can look mighty small on days where you aren't confident

As usual - sound advice… guess I’m just trying to figure out if G10s will eventually hold me back when I get better at it (looks like they won’t) - and if I end up pulling the trigger I don’t want to go with new SGI irons (what would be the point; unless there is significant technology upgrade that I’m not aware off - comparing G425 to G10 for example)… so I’m looking at players club (to have some kind of difference between sets) - and might become a true WRXer doing so / flipping sets on a quarterly basis haha 

4 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

As usual - sound advice… guess I’m just trying to figure out if G10s will eventually hold me back when I get better at it (looks like they won’t) - and if I end up pulling the trigger I don’t want to go with new SGI irons (what would be the point; unless there is significant technology upgrade that I’m not aware off - comparing G425 to G10 for example)… so I’m looking at players club (to have some kind of difference between sets) - and might become a true WRXer doing so / flipping sets on a quarterly basis haha 

One thing that is absolutely true is that you will enjoy hitting pure shots more with a forged , smaller club. I hate admitting this because i was an SGI guy for so long. But hitting a nice 4-5-6 iron with a forged players club makes you feel awesome and you chase that feeling LOL

Last weekend i put one to 5 feet from like 186 or something with my 6 iron and then just yelled at all of my playing partners to take my name out of their mouth.

• Haha 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

G10s are good clubs ... what are the shafts? 

At that index, probably time to get fitted. If you need new specs, go for it. I honestly don't think they're holding you back otherwise.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

1 minute ago, MtlJeff said:

One thing that is absolutely true is that you will enjoy hitting pure shots more with a forged , smaller club. I hate admitting this because i was an SGI guy for so long. But hitting a nice 4-5-6 iron with a forged players club makes you feel awesome and you chase that feeling LOL

Last weekend i put one to 5 feet from like 186 or something with my 6 iron and then just yelled at all of my playing partners to take my name out of their mouth.

Haha I can only imagine - and that's not helping me trying to rationalize not getting forged irons!

6 minutes ago, tatertot said:

G10s are good clubs ... what are the shafts? 

At that index, probably time to get fitted. If you need new specs, go for it. I honestly don't think they're holding you back otherwise.

The original AWT shafts / stiff

Adding driver SS is around 105; 250ish carry

Edited by MtlJayMan

4 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

The original AWT shafts / stiff 

Pretty solid ... might launch a little high for a high swing speed. 

Get fitted and make your choice. The clubheads aren't hurting you.

EDIT: I played the G5, I10 and G15 ... I would have been happy to keep any of them, but was always looking for the next best thing.

Edited by tatertot
  • Thanks 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

2 minutes ago, jt2gt said:

If no fitting...I would say the new TM P790.  Only irons I have seen everyone from club pros to young college golfers to 12-15 caps playing and enjoying.  I don't play them cause I am stuck on srixon Z745 irons, but they are on my list to test.  

P790... significant differences between the 2019 and 2021 models?... seeing some sweet deals on the older ones (but obviously no fitting there)

14 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

Something like the Mizuno 225’s, ping i525 or the new forged Tec may be perfect for you.  Small, but not too small footprint.  Appealing shape.  Strong lofts, but not absurdly strong.  Clubs like these should also keep you from feeling like you need to upgrade soon as you continue to improve.  T100’s are great but they really are a very small head.  Zx5/zx7 combo would be another good option if you don’t want hollow body or strong lofts.  They are player shapes and feel great, but are not tiny and unforgiving.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Bob would be proud 

4 minutes ago, LoopySwing13 said:

Bob would be proud 

"NOBODY HITS SHOTS LIKE I DO!!!"

• Haha 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Great info and advices so far!… anything on graphite vs steel shafts?… no injury to speak of / wrists and elbows - and as mentioned earlier around 105 driver SS… is graphite the new way to go or still a dispersion advantage with steel? (Think that was debunked)

I played G10s down to a 2 cap.   Those sticks will not stop you from going 60s. I scored 69 twice with them.  

If you are changing to lower scores that will probably not happen, I don't care what clubs you change to.  If you are changing to get the new clubs to perform the same task in a different way, then go for it.  Lots of people say you can't work a SGI club but that's not true at all.  I could work those G10s in either direction.  The only difference was the G10s were hard to flight down.  They just wanted to launch high, which I love.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

Great info and advices so far!… anything on graphite vs steel shafts?… no injury to speak of / wrists and elbows - and as mentioned earlier around 105 driver SS… is graphite the new way to go or still a dispersion advantage with steel? (Think that was debunked)

This is why I suggested a fit.. I played Steelfiber 110 stiff for the past 4+ years. I used to be a fitter and tested a bunch of combos and what not and built my own set. They were great and did everything I needed.. then I got fit and I was put in PX 6.5. 100% not a shaft I would have expected and never played even back in college. But I tell you what, it 100% works for me. I picked up 8 yards per iron and the ball flight is much better. Sometimes you have to see what the “correct flight” looks like. 

It is very hard to know for sure (unless you have unlimited access to shafts and heads) what truly works best. Hate to be the broken record on the “get fit train” but especially since you are relatively new still. Take your time and do it right, and you won’t have to be a club ho for 10 years like I was. 

Edited by LoopySwing13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LoopySwing13 said:

This is why I suggested a fit.. I played Steelfiber 110 stiff for the past 4+ years. I used to be a fitter and tested a bunch of combos and what not and built my own set. They were great and did everything I needed.. then I got fit and I was put in PX 6.5. 100% not a shaft I would have expected and never played even back in college. But I tell you what, it 100% works for me. I picked up 8 yards per iron and the ball flight is much better. Sometimes you have to see what the “correct flight” looks like. 

It is very hard to know for sure (unless you have unlimited access to shafts and heads) what truly works best. Hate to be the broken record on the “get fit train” but especially since you are relatively new still. Take your time and do it right, and you won’t have to be a club ho for 10 years like I was. 

Yes fitting is definitely the plan (especially since I’m 6’4” too)

3 hours ago, 596 said:

I played G10s down to a 2 cap.   Those sticks will not stop you from going 60s. I scored 69 twice with them.  

Depends a lot on which shafts you have. I tried G10 at end of its production run with lighter shafts and had trouble ballooning short irons and wedges.

@MtlJayMan,in Pingland, at least give the G425 irons a try. With traditional retro-loft option (7i =  32*  | PW = 47*) and robust shafts (being you're a hockey guy), this might be your ticket.

Also, consider Srixon irons with beveled sole, for another feel in turf interaction.

Callaway as a variety of head options in Apex line, plus some sets that are pre-blended. This depends in part of whether Callaway could send you your desired set before Christmas.

Try out different models and iron head designs. Three years ago an assistant pro blogged on his iron fitting journey. He was really blown away by the different turf interaction feels, just within the Titleist line.

P.S.... are you related to @MtlJeff?

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

6 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

Depends a lot on which shafts you have. I tried G10 at end of its production run with lighter shafts and had trouble ballooning short irons and wedges.

@MtlJayMan,in Pingland, at least give the G425 irons a try. With traditional retro-loft option (7i =  32*  | PW = 47*) and robust shafts (being you're a hockey guy), this might be your ticket.

Also, consider Srixon irons with beveled sole, for another feel in turf interaction.

Callaway as a variety of head options in Apex line, plus some sets that are pre-blended. This depends in part of whether Callaway could send you your desired set before Christmas.

Try out different models and iron head designs. Three years ago an assistant pro blogged on his iron fitting journey. He was really blown away by the different turf interaction feels, just within the Titleist line.

P.S.... are you related to @MtlJeff?

Thanks for the different options noted; and agree on the ballooning short irons - finding it tough on windy days... fitting is surely needed

And no, not related - much taller and better looking...

• Haha 1

Pick up a used set of Srixon z745s and see how you do. Iconic iron, some tungsten weighting in long irons, pure forged feel, best v-sole Srixon ever did, compact but generous face — it’s really a perfect step-up iron. There are other nominees for sure, this is only one, but to me this is the kind if club you’re looking for as a 6 cap going lower. Of the new ones, you might find the thin top line of the Cobra MIM Tour irons appealing. New or used you can find a set that suits your ball striking now and as you improve. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

15 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Pick up a used set of Srixon z745s and see how you do. Iconic iron, some tungsten weighting in long irons, pure forged feel, best v-sole Srixon ever did, compact but generous face — it’s really a perfect step-up iron. There are other nominees for sure, this is only one, but to me this is the kind if club you’re looking for as a 6 cap going lower. Of the new ones, you might find the thin top line of the Cobra MIM Tour irons appealing. New or used you can find a set that suits your ball striking now and as you improve. 

Very interesting call - the 45s have/had a sort of cult following; must be for a good reason!