Calling Decent Players; Did Getting "Fit" for Clubs Your First Time Help Your Game?

RoyalMustang

I am wondering if I should do a fitting. I am a decent player, 7 cap, can hit the ball a long way and have fairly good ballstriking consistency.  I have tried a bunch of clubs and always come back to a set of MMC MP20's w/DG120X I bought here used last year.  

I am wondering if I should now take the next step in evolution and get "fit" for a set of clubs, or just leave well enough alone. I see a lot of people selling as-new clubs, presumably clubs that at least some of their owners were fit for.  

I have liked other shafts (X100 standard, S400, PX 6.0/6.5) but I have no idea if shelling out $1400 for a new set (mostly for fitting purposes) is worth it.  I am not silly enough to think that the heads will improve my game, but I am more interested in getting fit into the right shaft/head combo.  If anything, my current clubs feel a skosh light and I could go with a heavier shaft.  I have a Ventus 7X on my driver, playing at 44.75", D3.5, and it is just about perfect.  

It will really suck to drop $1400 on a set of Mizuno 223s and find they are no improvement over my current setup, but on the other hand, if there is consistency to be gained, I will gladly pay the money.  

Should I just do a fitting and do a side-by-side with my current clubs? I would rather pay $150 on a fitting, even if it doesn't work out, to know either way whether I am leaving performance on the table. 

FWIW, if I am swinging well, I am pretty club agnostic.  I have a set of Cally MB21/Apex Pros w/S400 shafts and shoot the same scores with them. Same with a set of ZX5s w/C-taper 125.  And if I forget how to golf, it doesn't really matter what club is in my hand.  But I have to think that there is something out there that is a markedly better fit for my swing (which needs help being smoother)

• Like 1

Played for 30 years before got fitted, was a strong 5 hdcp at the time.  Fitting was worth every penny, clubs all perfectly matched, great feel and overall I'm longer and more accurate...now if father time would slow down his ouji-ouji on my back...

• Like 1

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

getting fit helped me figure out when I need to transition from irons to hybrids to fairways. since living at altitude, balls don't climb as much with spin so for me, hitting a 4i 135mph, 13.2* launch, 4200 spin, doesn't go any farther than my 131 mph, 13.5 launch, 4500 spin 5 iron. So it helped me convince myself to get a 4H for play where I live. 

You may have found that by al the tinkering you've done here that you've found out what seems to work if you've lived on the BST, but if you've never done it before, it would probably be worth the time and effort. may help show you some things about your game you didn't know about.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54D/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

Getting "fit" didn't help much as there are no great fitters around me, but finding my fit through trial & error and the sharpie dynamic lie test did make a world of difference

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

Absolutely ..although it opens up the rabbit hole of tinkering. 

IMO so much of golf is out of your control. Why not try to optimize what you can control. Even if you spend money on a fitting and don't come out with new clubs, at least you know your specs/tendencies. It will payoff later when you buy new/used clubs down the line.  

• Like 1

I will be the anti fitter and say if you’d tried lots of other setups and keep coming back to the same one, it seems you’re fitted pretty well assuming you’re going back to it because you play the best with it.  However, I do think a proper fitting will make sure you are playing the correct length and lie which could definitely help you.  Then again you may already be in the right length and lie….  Really can’t hurt though and could be interesting.

The way I see you pay $100-150 to see if you have the right setup or not and try a whack ton of stuff. You're not forced to buy anything and you get rid of any doubt or build more confidence in your current setup especially if a small spec tweak makes it better. That money is obviously less than a new set and still less than what you'd lose selling new set if it doesn't work. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

It depends what you mean by being “fit”. 

Do you research and go to a professional fitter, not one of the chain stores. If it means you have to pay for the fitting on top of the clubs then so be it. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

I'm in the same boat at this point - except my clubs are 20+ years old (Cleveland Tour Action). Just getting back into the game after a few year hiatus. 

I've been debating on getting fitted for a new set of T100-S or T200 but have been trying to gauge the investment and how much can/will be gained. I'm guessing I should see some pretty significant changes with a 20 year old set, but maybe I'm too optimistic? 

15 minutes ago, rustyneversleeps said:

I'm in the same boat at this point - except my clubs are 20+ years old (Cleveland Tour Action). Just getting back into the game after a few year hiatus. 

I've been debating on getting fitted for a new set of T100-S or T200 but have been trying to gauge the investment and how much can/will be gained. I'm guessing I should see some pretty significant changes with a 20 year old set, but maybe I'm too optimistic? 

You'd definitely see a huge benefit by getting fit. Especially coming from clubs that old.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

I think it removes the wondering of whether you have the right equipment. It’s worth it to know you do. One less variable. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I've been playing for 30 years. Back about 8 years ago I was around your same handicap, had the funds for new clubs and decided to go to a very reputable fitter in the area. He believes in indoor fitting off a mat. I was skeptical but figured he knew best.

I never got along with the irons or shaft. Decided to go to a Mizuno demo day outside and they recommended a different shaft, which helped. 

For me, hitting inside into a screen and not being about the tell how the club interacted with was not like hitting at a target off grass. 

Anyway, those clubs ended up getting stolen and since bought a set of used MP20  MMCS and have never played better. My handicap is down to 2 and I love my irons. 

Everyone is different, but unless you are super tall, short or have a unique swing, I would take the money and spent it on lessons way before a fitting. 

You have a great set of irons and hit it good enough to be a single digit golfer. 

I doubt getting fit would change your game much.

• Like 2

Got fit the first time at a 7....

Found out I was spinning driver WAY too much, fixed that with shaft and low spin head.  Found out my irons were fine.  Kept those and have built two more sets using that same template, confirmed by additional fitting/tests.   

Had some updates to my putter, loft and lie.  Had some updates to my wedges, even though I was good found really solid setup, got gapping right...

Took the 7 to a 2.   Ultimately, I do fine with how I hit in bay to the course, but YMMV. 

Never fit at a big box, but I have been lucky and found success with club champ, which provides more options than most manufacturer specific fitting carts.  

You don't have to buy anything, and if the numbers are the same and they still try to sell you stuff...bolt.  Just visited my guy today, made some adjustments to my irons, tried some new driver shafts...nothing could beat current, so bought nothing with his total agreement.  

Key is finding reputable fitter...not someone that just wants to sell you exotics.  Although I buy into the handmade, custom stuff being better, because it has been for me...again...YMMV.  

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

Is a fit worth doing? Yes 

will the new clubs be better? Maybe

Is it worth the money for a new set? Up to you and your budget

Could you continue to play good golf with your current set? Sounds like it

no one can really tell you what it’s worth except you. Getting fit is great since you should be able to keep that set and not tinker (if you avoid the BST), but if you have clubs you like, maybe don’t mess with it.

Since a fit doesn’t obligate you too buy anything I don’t think there is much risk until you see the results. 

• Like 1

I would say it is worth it. A fitting essentially condenses years worth of trial and error in tinkering on your own and substantiates it with objective data, not subjective feelings.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

I got fit last year and went from a 20 to 9 HCP. it was my second year of golf and knew nothing. So it was really worth it. 

Went back to get refitted this last year by 3 different guys. 1 was a free fitting I had at CC. Another was at a top 100 fitter. And then a 3rd with my top 100 swing coach at a titelist regional fitting center. 

CC told me I wasn’t good enough to play players distance irons and should stick with GI irons. This isn’t going to work because I was airmailing greens left and right. 

the titelist center fit me into KBS tour flt 110 shafts with t100s head. 

the top 100 fitter put me in callaway x-forged with PX IO 6.0 shafts. 

So…. I know I can player player’s irons. And the 110g shaft weight is my ideal shaft. I came from steel fiber 110 shafts as well. 

My current gamers are Wilson Staff Blades w/ KBS C-Taper Lite 110S shafts. 

I bought them on here used. My CC fitted clubs last year were crazy expensive. 

I tried a bunch of sets from BST and found my game. Shot some of my lowest scores ever this year with the blades…. Including a sub 80. My left miss is gone and have not airmailed a single green. 

I also found some really cool custom built NiKe combo sets and NL PF1/2 sets I am going to game as well. Love custom vintage stuff too. 

I learned more by buying and selling sets on here then I did in any fitting. You have no idea how things perform until you get them out in the real world. I have access to a GC Quad as well and do not even care what the number are telling me. If I am hitting fairways and distance with my driver, I don’t care the spin rate and smash factor and stuff. I self fitted my driver b/c my club champion fitted driver was causing horrible dispersion due to a poorly fitted shaft. I now game a callaway Epic Max LS 9* w/ CK Pro Blue TX7 cut to 44.5”. I custom weighted the head myself back to D3. 

As a 7 hcp, you know what you are looking for. Try a fitting….. it’s a good experience…. But nothing matches getting the different set and trying them out on the course. Plus, it’s been the most fun I have had in a long time. 

i have tried:

Cobra MIM w/ modus 105S

2019 T100s w/ c-taper lite

NL 902PD with PX LZ 6.0

Wilson Staff CB

mizuno 221 / 223 / 225 w/ modus 115S

nike VR forged combo 

NL PF1 and PF2 w/ x100

callaway X-Forged CB w/ PX IO 6.0

srixion ZX7 with $-Taper 120S

JPX 921 Forged w/ PX LZ 6.0

Old gamers are Cobra Rad Speed with steel fiber 110R. 

I think a fitting is more about better misses than optimal numbers. 

So…… if anyone is looking for stuff…..  I have tons of driver shafts and Iron sets going on BST soon. 

Edited by T_Golf_23
  • Like 2

i gained about 30-40 yards off the tee on a consistent basis after the first time I got fit.  I could hit some long ones before but only if i hit it on the button.  i had way too much spin and I learned a lot about my path and contact.  Hitting longer (even on mis hits) led to some trouble that I adjusted to as I improved.  A weak slice that spins and goes 230 was always in play.   After the fitting those were power cuts/fades going OB or further into trouble.  

But I quickly adjusted.  For irons, a little distance gain and a lot of control on misses and a big jump in ability to hit knock downs

For sure worth it.  Ive been fit now for my last 4 sets of irons and drivers.  But dont expect to just go out and instantly shoot better scores.

You have to adjust and get comfortable with the new equipment just like you have a comfort level with what you use now.

The first one i got fit for was a Taylormade R1.  All my friends called it the nascar driver because of how hideous the head looked.  The first time I pulled it out I put one about 310 down the middle and started talking back at them about how much further I was down the fairway.

It was the only fairway I hit that day and I probably hit 6 drives in hazards or out of bounds.  They all got to laugh at me again for how much money I spent on a driver just to spray it all over the place.  I still remember the feeling I had after that first round after the fitting thinking I got hoodwinked.

I figured it out after a few rounds and it lasted a couple years until I moved on to the next one

Edited by Unteachable

Was worth it for me, went from a 4 to scratch over last season after getting fit for a driver and irons. Before that I had been playing a hodgepodge of clubs - a driver I landed on after continuously trying to fit myself and my first set of irons that I had for the last 6-7 years (regular shafted rocketbladez that my swing clearly outgrew).

The fitting was great and the clubs allowed me to remove a variable and just focus on my swing. It freed me up and I dropped strokes pretty quickly.

I've had mixed experiences. 

First experience was for a new driver, and it's been worth every penny. Hit it farther and straighter, which has been a huge benefit to my game. 

Second experience was to fit shafts into a set of heads I had purchased. Been a complete mess. Despite having the best numbers (allegedly), the clubs don't perform on the course. Shafts are too heavy / stiff for my game outside of trackman bay, and I basically can't play with the clubs (massive distance loss, no feel, poor dispersion, etc.). Not sure how we could have gone so wrong working with what is supposed to be a reputable fitter, but I guess it happens. That said, the fitter has been relatively helpful, and I'm fairly certain we'll find a way where I don't feel totally screwed, but still a challenging experience. 

Despite my mixed experience, I would still argue a fitting can be worth it, especially with the right fitter. 

32 minutes ago, dvq9654 said:

I've had mixed experiences. 

First experience was for a new driver, and it's been worth every penny. Hit it farther and straighter, which has been a huge benefit to my game. 

Second experience was to fit shafts into a set of heads I had purchased. Been a complete mess. Despite having the best numbers (allegedly), the clubs don't perform on the course. Shafts are too heavy / stiff for my game outside of trackman bay, and I basically can't play with the clubs (massive distance loss, no feel, poor dispersion, etc.). Not sure how we could have gone so wrong working with what is supposed to be a reputable fitter, but I guess it happens. That said, the fitter has been relatively helpful, and I'm fairly certain we'll find a way where I don't feel totally screwed, but still a challenging experience. 

Despite my mixed experience, I would still argue a fitting can be worth it, especially with the right fitter. 

It’s just tough to decide on a set of irons from a 1 hour fitting…. Usually in doors. 

you never know what swing you are going to bring that day. 

plus, in this environment no fitter is even going to show you KBS shafts because they can’t get them. So, you may not be getting the best fit….. 

The 1st time i was actually fit for irons/iron shaft was a total game changer for me. I was playing a slightly used set of irons with DG SL 300 shafts and was fit into PX 6.0’s , so heavier and much stiffer. Gained distance and greatly improved accuracy, way more consistent ball striking with the comfort of using a shaft that better suited my swing. I know some ppl can swing whatever and it won’t matter, but I realized after that fitting that I was not 1 of those players. It really allowed me to learn so much about my swing tendencies and what type of bend profile fits better, as well as weight and flex. After adjusting to new distances with my clubs my scores dramatically improved…..I believe everyone needs to do at least 1 fitting with a good club fitter.

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9*w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

I'm on the fence about it.

On one hand, I 100% believe getting things dialed in is a good thing. 

On the other, I don't think it's something you can determine in an hour or two, just repeatedly hitting balls into a net off a mat and switching things up constantly; especially when it comes to shafts. I definitely don't believe you can properly adjust to differences in weight, flex or profile to fully determine if a combination works in that short amount of time. 

Trial and error has been more effective for me, personally. This is why I've gotten more into doing club building myself.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

26 minutes ago, T_Golf_23 said:

It’s just tough to decide on a set of irons from a 1 hour fitting…. Usually in doors. 

you never know what swing you are going to bring that day. 

plus, in this environment no fitter is even going to show you KBS shafts because they can’t get them. So, you may not be getting the best fit….. 

Totally agree. I guess I'm just surprised by how badly the process missed on these irons. The fitter seemed super focused on launch angle, which I think resulted in something too stiff / heavy. I also don't think a fitter will ever get my launch angle into the ideal, because of swing issues. 

Oh well, on to the next shafts hopefully soon. 

I got fitted when I was 18, went form a 2 to a 0 in only a couple of months with only the club changes (no swing changes or anything else). The fitting helped me with consistency. I didnt gain any distance but it tightened my dispersion. 

I think it can help mentally knowing you have the best clubs possible for you, so if you play poorly, you know it's you and not the club. 

I also think trying new gear is fun, so perhaps I am biased but in my view, if you still with what you have, you dont spend too much and can have that much more confidence with your current gear. 

For better players/ball strikers, I'd say probably, a fitting is certainly helpful. Most better players I deal with on a daily basis are typically in shafts that just aren't optimal for their irons. The heads, ya, are probably fine... shafts, not so much.

Driver, on the other hand, I think can be a game changer for a lot of people "if" the fitter can recognize the mechanics of the player's swing and fit accordingly for optimal flight. 

TM Stealth 10.5* -- Speeder Evo VII 569s

TM Stealth 16.5* -- GD AD-IZ 6s

Titleist T200 4 -- Accra 200H M4

Titleist T100S 5-GW -- Modus 120

TM MG3 52*, 56*TW, 60*TW -- KBS HiRev

Sik Jo C -- KBS CT Tour

15 hours ago, WarEagleGolf said:

Got fit the first time at a 7....

Found out I was spinning driver WAY too much, fixed that with shaft and low spin head.  Found out my irons were fine.  Kept those and have built two more sets using that same template, confirmed by additional fitting/tests.   

Had some updates to my putter, loft and lie.  Had some updates to my wedges, even though I was good found really solid setup, got gapping right...

Took the 7 to a 2.   Ultimately, I do fine with how I hit in bay to the course, but YMMV. 

Never fit at a big box, but I have been lucky and found success with club champ, which provides more options than most manufacturer specific fitting carts.  

You don't have to buy anything, and if the numbers are the same and they still try to sell you stuff...bolt.  Just visited my guy today, made some adjustments to my irons, tried some new driver shafts...nothing could beat current, so bought nothing with his total agreement.  

Key is finding reputable fitter...not someone that just wants to sell you exotics.  Although I buy into the handmade, custom stuff being better, because it has been for me...again...YMMV.  

I'm all in on this.

I replaced all my clubs last Nov (except driver and putter) thru a fitting at CC.  I was a 9 handicap at the time.

Last year my good rounds were low 80's struggling to break into the 70's which didn't finally happen until late Oct.

This spring, with only a few rounds under my belt I've already been in the 70's twice - one being an all time low of 74 for me.

Handicap is already down to an 8.

Especially loving my new irons.

19 hours ago, rooski said:

Getting "fit" didn't help much as there are no great fitters around me, but finding my fit through trial & error and the sharpie dynamic lie test did make a world of difference

Yes this.  

I first get the length to where it is comfortable and I swing consistently (i.e., don't have to reach or am not constricted, not elevating the handle, not depressing the handle, etc).

I then bend it using the sharpie test rooski mentions.  The sharpie thing is hugely valuable.

Once that stuff is good, then task complete.