LAB Putters adjustment period and stroke change

jomatty

I’ve been very interested in the LAB putters since they came out.  I have not had a chance to actually try one though and have some reservations that I am hoping you guys can comment on.  I’ve read the long thread on the putters and was able to get some insight, but still am having a hard time deciding.  Normally I would not buy a putter that cost in the $500 range without trying it first (I’m a chef so not a wealthy golf type!).  This technology interests me enough that I am considering getting a MEZZ.

Anyways, my concern involves the idea that it seems that tour players have difficulty adjusting to the putters due to their ingrained ability to control and manage torque.  I’m far from a tour player, but I do play at least 5 days a week, and often 7, and consider myself a good putter.  I’m a far from great, but decent player, who’s handicap is currently a 3.6.  There is room for improvement with my putting (there always is) but I am not unhappy with how I roll the ball.  From listening to the WRX podcast with LAB’s CEO the host and him seemed to agree that it takes some serious modifications of ones putting stroke and relearning not manipulating torque to get the most out of these putters.  I also am someone who will change putters if I have a bad couple rounds putting, as I find it helps me mentally reset and I have several putters I like a similar amount.  I enjoy this variety and if I truly had to make major changes to my putting stroke would miss this, as I would not want to have to change my actual stroke if I wanted to put a different putter in play.

while the technology seriously interests me, I am worried about learning a new style of putting and unlearning managing torque.  I try to keep my putting stroke and philosophy fairly simple, and this worries me, especially considering the price.  I would be very grateful to anyone who shared their experience, specifically how much they had to alter their stroke.  Has anyone not had to make any changes and found success?

thanks!

I really believe you are over thinking it. I would buy ...practice exclusively with it and see if it's for you. It's still putting!

Go through their online fitting...and check out their factory seconda website. Huge discounts. 

COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
Xenon Copper Wide X
SGC 902

From my experience, there certainly is an adjustment period. I put a Mezz in the bag early this year and couldnt have been more excited about it. I immediately struggled with speed/distance control, though it was near impossible to hit a putt offline! After my initial struggles, I decided I was going to stick with it for 3 months. And after the 3 months was up, I was done with it. I just couldnt get it to work for me. I think the only way to tell is to try it and really give it a go. Unfortunately it just wasnt for me!

Driver Taylormade SIM2 Max (Hzrdus Hulk)

3 Wood Taylormade Stealth (AD DI)

7 Wood Titleist TS2 (Hzrdus T1100)

4 Iron Srixon ZX5 (Ventus Blue HB)

Irons Srixon ZX7 5-AW (LAGP A Series Low)

Wedges Glide 4.0 56, Edel SMS | Forged Pro 60, Edel SMS (TI S400)

Putter SIK Flo M | Kevin Burns 9306 (coming soon!)

Agree. The same thing happened with me and a 2.1.  I couldn't get used to the grip, the feel, or distance control. Hated the look and how big it was. BUT I recently bought a B.2 to give a shot. I like the technology. Just have to find the right fit. 

COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
Xenon Copper Wide X
SGC 902

Tried the 2.1, but didn’t stick with it long enough and put it in the basement. Tried the Mez1 and could not get the distance right, hard feel off the face, but always short. Sold that, but put the 2.1 back into play and guess what? It’s very good, sometimes a time out is warranted. 

Callaway TD 9* w/Autoflex sf505X
TM....Sim Ti 3 wood W/Hzrdus Smoke ts70-S

Callaway Super Hybrid #3 / Steelfiber-S

Mizuno 223 4-PW w/Steelfiber-i95s

Callaway 57*PM Grind, Vokey 51* sm8

Lab 2.1 Broomstick..46”
Pe fold Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

I’ve only rolled a MEZZ1 in a store but it is a PGASS with large greens. This one was fitted with the 1.5 grip. I found the feel off the face to be excellent, definitely to my liking. Distance control was easy. Now, I am left eye dominant and also a left hander who plays right handed, so lining up the shaft in the middle of my stance puts the ball directly under my left eye. But it was very comfortable for me.

Have not purchased but I did like it. Not difficult to put a nice roll on the ball if you do what LAB instructs in their videos. 

Have played the 2.1 for a few months now. I'd say that to make the most of it you need to relearn not to fight torque. For me it's largely a matter of grip change

Mizuno ST-Z @7.5/LA Golf Trono 65X
Mizuno ST-Z @16/Oban Devotion 75X
Srixon U65 @20/Nippon 130s

Miura CB57 5-PW/Nippon 130S
Titleist SM7 50 & 54/Nippon 130S

Cleveland RTX4 58/Nippon 130S

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 62/Nippon 130S
LAB DF2.1

On 5/21/2022 at 8:04 AM, xandersingh said:

From my experience, there certainly is an adjustment period. I put a Mezz in the bag early this year and couldnt have been more excited about it. I immediately struggled with speed/distance control, though it was near impossible to hit a putt offline! After my initial struggles, I decided I was going to stick with it for 3 months. And after the 3 months was up, I was done with it. I just couldnt get it to work for me. I think the only way to tell is to try it and really give it a go. Unfortunately it just wasnt for me!

This sounds very much like my experience - both with the DF 2.1 and the Mezz. One thing that i'll add is that LAB has a horrible sound issue in some of their putters. Doesn't seem to be true for every one, but both my DF 2.1 and the Mezz sounded high-pitched and far from "solid"

I've been playing the MEZZ for a couple of months now.  Interestingly, my lag putting is pretty good, better than my other putters.  I like the feel.  My putting with 5 footers maybe alittle better, but not dramatic.  My distance control on 10-15 foot putts hasn't been great for some reason.  I think I need more time with it.  It is neat that you can putt with both thumbs off the grip and the putter face stays square.  I like the look and most of my playing partners comment on the looks in a positive fashion.  They say it looks like something Batman would putt with.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSi3 9 degree driver with LAGP Trono 65 stiff shaft 
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 5 wood with LAGP Trono 75 stiff shaft
Ping G425 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 5-pw with Steelfiber i95 stiff shafts
TaylorMade MG3 50, 54, and 58 degree wedges with i95 stiff Steelfiber shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ putter with LAGP putter shaft

I’d try to find a DF and a Mezz in person. I thought for sure I was going to love then Mezz since I’ve used that style for a long time now. But I could not get comfortable with it at all. It just seemed too tall or something, and couldn’t get any feel. Then I grabbed a Direceted Force and as odd as it looked, every putt came off so nice, holding their line. For all the crazy look, all I could see was the perpendicular alignment line, it tricked my brain into thinking it’s a blade putter. 

As for the adjustment, I’m several weeks in and loving it. My first 9 holes were like I’d never putted in my life. 10-15’ long or short from every distance, even 10-15’! But a little time on the putting green helped. The BIGGEST change was simply lifting my thumbs off and almost thinking of my arms as the revealer.  This proved to be so successful as a drill I’m just doing it all the time now. 

Posted (edited)

I’ve had the B.2 for about a month. Haven’t had the chance to play a ton but spent a little time on the practice green and played a few rounds. My changes have been pretty minor, lighter grip pressure, shaft in the middle of my stance, etc and I’ll say my midrange putting has improved a ton. My lag putting hasn’t been great, usually leaving things short. From like 5’ hasn’t been great either but I know that’s me torquing the putter instead of letting it do it’s thing. I need to spend more time on the practice green to dial it in but I don’t see myself going to a non LAB putter anytime soon.

Also if you haven’t sent your remote fitting video in, for sure do that. And when you get the lie angle back as long as it’s not crazy far off you should be able to find either a factory second or a used one on the bay or the BST. Do that to save a little dough to make sure you like the putter before pulling the trigger on a new one

Edited by CBraynor
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2022 at 6:22 AM, jomatty said:

I’ve been very interested in the LAB putters since they came out.  I have not had a chance to actually try one though and have some reservations that I am hoping you guys can comment on.  I’ve read the long thread on the putters and was able to get some insight, but still am having a hard time deciding.  Normally I would not buy a putter that cost in the $500 range without trying it first (I’m a chef so not a wealthy golf type!).  This technology interests me enough that I am considering getting a MEZZ.

Anyways, my concern involves the idea that it seems that tour players have difficulty adjusting to the putters due to their ingrained ability to control and manage torque.  I’m far from a tour player, but I do play at least 5 days a week, and often 7, and consider myself a good putter.  I’m a far from great, but decent player, who’s handicap is currently a 3.6.  There is room for improvement with my putting (there always is) but I am not unhappy with how I roll the ball.  From listening to the WRX podcast with LAB’s CEO the host and him seemed to agree that it takes some serious modifications of ones putting stroke and relearning not manipulating torque to get the most out of these putters.  I also am someone who will change putters if I have a bad couple rounds putting, as I find it helps me mentally reset and I have several putters I like a similar amount.  I enjoy this variety and if I truly had to make major changes to my putting stroke would miss this, as I would not want to have to change my actual stroke if I wanted to put a different putter in play.

while the technology seriously interests me, I am worried about learning a new style of putting and unlearning managing torque.  I try to keep my putting stroke and philosophy fairly simple, and this worries me, especially considering the price.  I would be very grateful to anyone who shared their experience, specifically how much they had to alter their stroke.  Has anyone not had to make any changes and found success?

thanks!

I’m going to be reviewing the DF2.1 on another site, and went with the BGT Stability Tour shaft. 
The tech makes sense to me, and I’m looking forward to it. What’s interesting is that they asked us all to submit a video for an online rather than in person fitting, as that’s a big part of the test.

Edited by john myrbch

PING G425 Max 9* (set at 10.5)

CALLAWAY Rogue ST Max D 16*

CLEVELAND Hy-wood 18*

CALLAWAY Rogue ST Max OS 21*

CLEVELAND Launcher XL Halo 5-DW

CLEVELAND CBX 54* & 58*

LAB GOLF DF2.1 BGT Stability Tour 34” 65*

12 hours ago, getitdaily said:

If you haven't read up on bruce rearick's blog (burnt edge consulting) then spend some time doing so. Go back to articles from 2018-19. Some really good stuff in there about stroke types and putter types.

Yes. What I like about his work is he does not dictate a right way to putt. He shows the various stroke profiles and offers guidance on the best setup for that style. It works with what you do. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, getitdaily said:

If you haven't read up on bruce rearick's blog (burnt edge consulting) then spend some time doing so. Go back to articles from 2018-19. Some really good stuff in there about stroke types and putter types.

Good looking out!  I had not seen this blog but after a light  perusal it looks really good.  I’m fascinated by the way all the nuances of putting fit together.  Thank you for the recommendation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Yes. What I like about his work is he does not dictate a right way to putt. He shows the various stroke profiles and offers guidance on the best setup for that style. It works with what you do. 

I’m looking forward to reading more of this blog as time allows.  So far it seems really good.  I also like the way he looks at putting and doesn’t teach one particular way.  So far his approach seems really good and I like the way he explains it.  On one of the most recent entries (I’ve only had time to read the most recent ones) he talks about balance and uses a diagram in a way that makes it really easy to understand.  I definitely tend to push putts when things get off and I’ve known it was related to not releasing the putter head properly.  What his diagram and thoughts helped me understand was the relationship between forward/improper balance and difficulty releasing the putter.  Very cool stuff…

1 minute ago, jomatty said:

I’m looking forward to reading more of this blog as time allows.  So far it seems really good.  I also like the way he looks at putting and doesn’t teach one particular way.  So far his approach seems really good and I like the way he explains it.  On one of the most recent entries (I’ve only had time to read the most recent ones) he talks about balance and uses a diagram in a way that makes it really easy to understand.  I definitely tend to push putts when things get off and I’ve known it was related to not releasing the putter head properly.  What his diagram and thoughts helped me understand was the relationship between forward/improper balance and difficulty releasing the putter.  Very cool stuff…

His stuff on stroke types and the putter model that best fits is really good stuff. You have to go back about 6 pages on his blog...2018-2019 time frame.

• Like 2

Using a LAB putter will take adjustment. I'm on I think round 5 with mine and I still haven't dialed in my long putts. However, my overall putting handicap is trending down, so I'm going to stick with it all season.

Prior to this I was using a typical blade putter. I had success but I could really feel my miss hits and that they would come up way short. Definitely don't feel that happening anymore but I'm not sure that actually equals holing more putts.

Rogue ST Max LS | Ventus Black 6x

Rogue ST LS | Ventus Red 7x

Epic Speed | Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8x

T200/T100 Combo | PX LZ 6.5

Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 58* | S400 Ti

PXG Brandon 

3 hours ago, jomatty said:

Do you guys still release the LAB putters similar to how a non lie angle balanced putter would be released? 

That's the beauty of bruce's blog...the style of putter has a lot of say in how much (and if) the toe releases. Manipulating release is a risky endeavor. 

I mentioned bruce's blog because I'm getting direct feedback that his stuff is spot on. For a while (years) my stroke has been slightly out to in with fave closed at impact. That stroke type benefitted by me using high moi mallets for the last 6 or so years. High moi mallets have a ton of weight toe side and back. Both of those contribute to a putter that resists toe release. The toe lags the heel and the face stays open. Out to in, closed face (from a rotation standpoint) matches up with a putter that wants the fave to stay open. 

However, my setup (hands forward) caused issues with long putts with the high moi putters. I always struggles with putts over 25 feet because the center of gravity on my putter was back. Hands forward, rear CoG - downward strike and immediate ball hopping...short putts. 

So this winter I drew a sharpie "chalk line" on my birdie ball mat. I made it a goal to get my stroke more in to square or in to out. Well, after a ton of mat putting, my stroke got better. However, my putting got worse...like terrible worse. Inside to square path with a putter that wants to stay open meant more missed putts...and then manipulation trying to get the putter to work. About2 weeks ago I bought a wide blade with about 30* toe hang. Started practicing with it and saw much better results than the high moi mallets I have. I've had a slew of putters the past year trying to find help on those long putts but nothing outdid the mallets Inside 10 feet...until I worked on my stroke. 

So, long story short...putter type and stroke type matchup is real...

Hey @jomatty, I think if you have an adjustment period can completely come down to your stroke/grip.  I just started using the Mezz this year and don't feel like I have had that much of an adjustment at all.  I will start by saying that I have always bounced back and forth between a traditional reverse overlap grip and left hand low with the feeling that I was better at certain times one way and then would get ice cold and switch it up for a while.  The thumbs off drill that people have been suggesting on other LAB discussions was a huge indicator for me.  I tried that drill both with a traditional grip and left hand low.  With a traditional grip it felt completely foreign and almost like I had never used a putter before, I believe trying to switch to this putter with a traditional grip would've resulted in a large adjustment period.  However, when I tried this drill left hand low it felt completely normal and my stroke basically did not change.  I have officially decided that I am going to only putt left hand low with this putter and have been seeing immediate improvement.  I am still working on distance control for longer lag putts but I have never started more putts on my intended line from inside 10 feet than I currently am with the Mezz.  Hope this helps!

• Like 1

My adjustment has been on the 10 feet and under putts. I have never had an issue with those but have always struggled with lag putting. The Mezz immediately improved my lag putting (probably the best its ever been) but I kept pulling short putts. I am now hitting 90% of my short putts on line, but it feels like I am misreading them frequently so I think there might need to be an adjustment there. I've found not thinking about the stroke at all helps, which is in line with what I am doing on the full swing as well.

I was thinking about going back to the Newport last month and brought it out on the putting green. It actually made me a full convert though, because the Newport felt like I was putting for the first time ever and not in a good way. I could actually feel the torque and couldn't hit any putts on line.

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

3 wood: in the market

Driving Iron: P790 UDI Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: LAB Mezz.1 White ACCRA shaft