Question: "What iron would you most want to play IF..."

sm_watts

I was talking this week with a buddy how I would go back to my Hogan FTX irons IF I had more time to practice.  Then we started talking about what irons we would like to play IF we got rid of all excuses: cost, playability, forgiveness, availability, etc...

What would yours be? Miura Baby Blades? (too expensive)  Mizuno MP-14's? (too demanding)  Mint Bridgestone J15 CB's? (can't find a set)

• Like 2

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue, Ping g425 6h Tensei orange

Maltby TS3 7-Gap w/Xcaliber Rapid Taper 95/105

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

Sub70 659 MBs, z forged a close  second

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

I'd be playing New Level 623-MB's, if they had them for sale.

And if I was 30 years younger, I'd still have a 2 iron.

Edited by Ger21
  • Like 1

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1998) - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

Titleist 620.  Maybe the best looking blade on the market. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 with Speeder NX Blue

Titleist TSi1 7 wood with Tensei Blue

Taylormade P790 UDI 2 iron

New Level 902PD irons with SF i95R

Titleist SM7 50° and 60°, Cleveland RDX 56°

Odyssey OG1

Maxfli Tour ball

35 minutes ago, A.Princey said:

P7TW

Highly recommended. 

NGL though ... kinda stoked on my Nike blades coming back from Flanigan. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

2 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

Miura Baby blades for sure but I would want custom built club heads to my preferred F5 swing weight. They would also have to be special order as I am a lefty but I have seen Miura do a 1 of 1 set of baby blades in lefty. Oh I can just imagine how great a club head that small would feel with that much mass added to it.  I love the look of SEVEN golf clubs so if I was dreaming up a set it would be these at my preferred swing weight and as compact as the baby blades: 

seven_sc_full_cnc_iron_new_1_.jpg

seven_sc_iron_2019_image_13_.jpg

seven_sc_iron_2019_image_4_.jpg

F5?  That sounds like a wild ride?

40 minutes ago, R.Patrick said:

F5?  That sounds like a wild ride?

Former baseball player so I love heavier total and swing weights and putting it all in the club head helps solves both at the same time for me.  The 40 extra grams really isn't that much when you really think about it but the masses have been conditioned to believe that anything outside of D2 to D5 is sacrilege. An egg weighs 40 grams...but it completely calms me as I can really feel the club moving around me and it helps to calm my tempo because I trust the feel of where the club is in space.  My driver doesn't even register on the swing weight scale as I added weight until it fit what I wanted to feel and it required more hotmelt because it is a 460cc club head and for the longest I felt like I was swinging an aluminum can.  I always preferred wooden bats over aluminum when I played ball and so I doesn't surprise me that I had to doctor up my clubs to get them to feel how I wanted them to feel so it may have been a wild ride when I was testing and learning what I like in a club but the ride is smooth now that I know what I prefer. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Righty to Lefty said:

40 extra grams really isn't that much when you really think about it but the masses have been conditioned to believe that anything outside of D2 to D5 is sacrilege.

You lost me after this completely...  40g is a huge amount of weight...  But keep thinking you're 'woke' on things I guess.

Edited by PEI_Golfer
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

A Revolving Door

1 hour ago, Righty to Lefty said:

Former baseball player so I love heavier total and swing weights and putting it all in the club head helps solves both at the same time for me.  The 40 extra grams really isn't that much when you really think about it but the masses have been conditioned to believe that anything outside of D2 to D5 is sacrilege. An egg weighs 40 grams...but it completely calms me as I can really feel the club moving around me and it helps to calm my tempo because I trust the feel of where the club is in space.  My driver doesn't even register on the swing weight scale as I added weight until it fit what I wanted to feel and it required more hotmelt because it is a 460cc club head and for the longest I felt like I was swinging an aluminum can.  I always preferred wooden bats over aluminum when I played ball and so I doesn't surprise me that I had to doctor up my clubs to get them to feel how I wanted them to feel so it may have been a wild ride when I was testing and learning what I like in a club but the ride is smooth now that I know what I prefer. 

Interesting…may be something for me to play around with for fun

• Like 1

For me it would be the PXG 0311T's. Always loved the look, feel and performance of PXG irons.

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

MP-33s again.  Or maybe my 690MBs.  Both were classic designs and flat out performed.  

Driver:  Ping 425Max (Aldila Synergy)

3W&5W:  Mizuno ST-Z (Aldila Synergy)

7W Taylor Made Stealth (Aldila Ascent)

4H:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (Accra FX)

5-GW:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (SteelFiber i110)

52* Edel SMS C-Grind (Paderson Wedge Flex)

56*W Cleveland CBX (SteelFiber i110CW)

Bettinardi QB10

I would throw in the Hogan Apex blades from '99.  Those things look and feel so good (when you hit the pin-sized sweet spot)

• Like 1

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue, Ping g425 6h Tensei orange

Maltby TS3 7-Gap w/Xcaliber Rapid Taper 95/105

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

4 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

Not a former baseball player, but I thought my clubs were hefty.  My wedges are around E-0 or so, and I am progressive up from there in a MoI match.  F-5 is crazy town.

I met a guy at a member/guest a few years back that has crazy lead tape and the like on all of his clubs and he plays 1/4 increments like I do, but his wedges are WAY heavier than mine and longer.  I believe he played AA or AA baseball out of college.  I think he said his shafts were Ctaper 130 X's and were hard stepped three times or something crazy like that.  

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I can honestly say the set of Srixon clubs I presently have leave me wanting nothing else. 

In fact, why would the answer be anything other than what you're presently gaming? 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 1

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

9 hours ago, aenemated said:

Highly recommended. 

NGL though ... kinda stoked on my Nike blades coming back from Flanigan. 

Going steel fiber in those? 

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

I'd want the P7-TW's. Why don't I have them now? I don't have a spare $2,000 in my couch cushions. 

Driver - Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 70 

3 Wood - Titleist 917 F3 15* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 82

3 UI - TaylorMade P790 3i 19* w/ TT Dynamic Gold 105

Irons - Srixon Z-785 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour 120

Wedges - Titleist Vokey 50/12*+54/14*+58/12*

Putter - Scotty Cameron '12 Select Newport 2 35"

Ball - Bridgestone Tour B X Yellow

I'm happy with what i'm playing. I have the cheapo PXGs but i really like them. I'd have no issue spending 2-3K on a set but they way i'm hitting the ball i don't see the point

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Seven was previously mentioned but I like this particular model.

seven.webp.2485a38ce3aa17c946dff8523d35dba8.webp

• Like 2

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* (A1) Autoflex SF505                   Frankenstein Irons:

3W - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 75 (S)                         4i - PING i210

19* Hyb - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 (S).                5i - Cobra King Tour (MIM)

Irons - 4-PW Maltby TS1 Nippon 950GH Stiff                 6i - Titleist T100

GW - Vokey SM8 50* F-grind                                           7i - Mizuno MP20 MMC

SW - Vokey SM8 54* D-grind (bent to 55)                      8i - Callaway X-Forged

LW - Vokey SM8 60* M-grind                                           9i - TaylorMade P7MC 

Putter - SeeMore PCB with LAGP SoHo                          PW - Srixon ZX-7

GW - Wilson Staff CB

22 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

You lost me after this completely...  40g is a huge amount of weight...  But keep thinking you're 'woke' on things I guess.

😂 8 Things That Weigh Around 40 Grams (g) 😂
  •  
  • An Egg. Eggs come in various sizes, from jumbo, which weighs about 70 grams, to peewee which weighs about 35 grams. 
  • 8 Nickels. 
  • 2 Tablespoons of Butter/8 Teaspoons of Butter. 
  • 7 Quarters. 
  • 2 Fountain Pens. 
  • 2 AA Batteries. 
  • 40 Paper clips. 
  • 6 Lincoln Pennies/ 13 Union Shield Pennies

It isn't a lot of weight if it doesn't approach your limit and so I suppose I am "woke" as you state and I'm glad that I "woke" up and realized that a 90 pound female is swinging roughly the same club off the rack that I am at 260 pounds which is flat out silly when you actually think about it. 40 grams isn't significant because it doesn't exceed my limit that I can handle in regards to total weight and swing weight.  

The best example is an Olympic weight lifter that has a max of 200 kilos. None of those kilos are significant from 1 kilo to 200 as the athlete will complete the lift.  However the 1 kilo from 200 to 201 is of the utmost significance because at that point the athlete will go from success to failure.  Swing weight is no different and I firmly believe that every athletes should swing the heaviest swing weight and total weight that they can, so long as their limits are not exceeded.  OEMs all operate within a "safe" range and are for the most part putting out the same clubs with a different logo on them and they get away with it year in and year out.  

I used to be scared that I was going to ruin my clubs by weighting them even though I hated them in their current form. I begin to experiment with a set of Miura LH cavity back irons attaching wheel weights that are used to balance car tires on them and seeing what happened.  I was shocked that as I added weight my strike tightened up and my tempo and timing were improving so much that I felt like I was giving less effort but getting more out.  I would add weight and then leave it for 6 months and see if it I would eventually lose track of the club head.  I finally found that when I got to F5 swing weight that the club felt great and no matter how stiff I felt on any given day I still wouldn't lose track of the clubhead moving around me.  

The reason why I knew that F5 was my limit with all my clubs except driver was because I accidentally put 4 grams too much in my hybrid and it went to F7 swing weight and immediately when I held it in I knew that my limit was breached.  Of course I still went out and hit the club and it felt great also...but as I would fatigue and then hit the club I would struggle to remain stable and my strike would suffer.  Those 4 grams were significant at that point and I confirmed it.  My driver doesn't even register on the scale because it took 50 grams of weight to overcome the 460cc head and make the club feel dense and give me the required sense of where the club was in space moving around me.  

I am not just this way in regards to golf...I swing heavy tennis rackets and have to add quite a bit of weight to them to get them where I prefer and my rackets weight some 440 grams or 120 grams over the spec weight but they are simply too light for me  in stock form.  Baseball bats were no different either.  I was swinging the longest and heaviest aluminum baseball bat available in the 7th grade so in college I had to really work to drive the ball to the opposite field because the bat was too light and I couldn't feel the bat head. That all changed when I played semi pro ball because the specs on wooden bats are pretty much limitless so when we went to get fitted for bats they could create anything you wanted and that was huge for me and my ability to drive the ball to the opposite field was better than ever because I could feel the bat head moving around me and the bat was also heavy enough for me to lever against.  Tried to hit with Mark McGuire's spec bat...limit breached! 

I say that to say this...experiment with the specs of your clubs and try to exceed your limit so that you are aware of them and can then back off the spec to bring them back under your limit.  I had no loss in club head speed but I became much more efficient because I could feel the club moving around me in space and it was heavy enough for me to create leverage against its weight.  Also a so called "heavy" swing weight could be created at any total weight so there is no such thing as a "crazy" or "heavy" swing weight.  Case in point if you put Jumbomaxx ultralight grips on any club the swing weight will increase "significantly", but the total weight will decrease. The club didn't all of sudden become unplayable because the  swing weight increased...it just means the weight of the club is distributed differently along the club and those are the exact answers that you are searching for.  Swing weight and total weight aren't addressed in most any fitting and in my opinion they are the two most important aspects of a club because total weight sets your tempo and swing weight sets timing as I have found.  Don't be afraid to experiment with your clubs and go find what works for you and roll with it...you might be shocked by what you find as I thought I was crazy in the beginning my damn self until I realized that I was not and found what I needed for my clubs to perform for me which is what matters.  

Do I look like I am fighting with the club?!

3 Iron (Average carry 230 yards)

Driver (Average carry 295 yards)

@R.Patrick@driveandputtmachine

Edited by Righty to Lefty
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, PEI_Golfer said:

Yes, the complete outlier who has to type out that much to justify being in the 0.0000001% that he's in the know.  Gotcha...

I will quote myself:

"Don't be afraid to experiment with your clubs and go find what works for you and roll with it...you might be shocked by what you find as I thought I was crazy in the beginning my damn self until I realized that I was not and found what I needed for my clubs to perform for me which is what matters." 

I never said that your clubs or anyone else's clubs should be set up in my specs, because they shouldn't, I said to experiment with total weight and swing weight and figure out what works for you personally.  If you have never hit a club set up in a C, E, F, or even G swing weight range how do you know if it suits you better or not until you try it out?  You are also being pretty rude and the fact that you think that a given concept or experience can be explained within one sentence further demonstrates your own lack of understanding.  A child's club or a sledge hammer could have a G9 swing weight but you for some reason think that it means that the club is heavy because it has an F5 swing weight when that swing weight can be created at any given total weight because swing weight is not a reflection of the total weight, it is a reflection of how the weight is distributed along the club.  I said go find what works for you and don't be scared to step outside of the OEM spec range and I stand by that statement.  

• Like 3