2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2022 Bank of Hope LPGA Match-Play (May 25 - 29)

Race to the CME Globe: 500 Points

Format: Match Play

Purse: $1,500,000

Par: 72

Yardage: 6,804 yds

History: This is the 2nd year for the event. In 2021, Ally Ewing claimed the title with a 2-and-1 win over Sophia Popov in the final match.

Coverage:

May 25: The Golf Channel 1:3pm - 4:30 pm (EDT)

May 26: The Golf Channel 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm (EDT)

May 27: The Golf Channel 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm (EDT)

May 28: The Golf Channel 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm (EDT)

May 29: The Golf Channel 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm (EDT)

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

The tour just might have to rethink this one. Don't know if it's the location, format, or schedule, but how do you wind up with only two of the top 10 ranked players in the field? I mean, even local Inbee is skipping this one. Hmmmm.

Going further, to me this season feels so disjointed, stop-start, too many gaps between events, strange fields with top players missing and too many poa greens (my personal peeve). I can't get into any watching groove and so haven't really enjoyed it so far, but now we get going with weekly events.

Re Inbee, she isn't long enough for this length course (assuming it is played at the length you have noted) plus the heat, maybe she isn't a matchplay fan. can see why she skips. I reckon she will cherry pick her events over the next few seasons and then retire.

• Like 3

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

49 minutes ago, agolf1 said:

How many of the top players were in last year?  Logistically, it was much closer to the USWO course.

I generally think it's a crappy format to have the week before the biggest tournament of the year.  I would also be very particular about the difference in course this week vs. next.

Plus top players, do not throw in the towel or not give everything to win.  The heat, the course and number of rounds you'll play if you win or even go far, will in all likelihood leave you in a state you have no chance at the Open.  So of the quarter finalist 6 made the cut and 2 missed the cut at US Open.  The finalists one made the cut finished 45th and one missed the cut.  The consolation match was forfeit by Shanshan and Ariya won the match but they didn't play the last round and these 2 players finished best at 4th and 7th.  So it might no be bad to play 3 matches and be out by Friday but players play to win and it would not be fun if you got stuck there all weekend, except the one who gets the winners check, in that case you might say "I'll win the US Open next year"

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

Re Inbee, she isn't long enough for this length course (assuming it is played at the length you have noted) plus the heat, maybe she isn't a matchplay fan. can see why she skips. I reckon she will cherry pick her events over the next few seasons and then retire.

Inbee finished T9 here last year. Seems like she played well enough. 

• Like 2

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Actually this event could work, if having the week off before stays and start the event on Monday or Tues and end it on Friday.  You'll have all eyes with nobody else playing and correct me if I'm wrong with time zone difference you can run it into primetime for the East coast and everyone is out of there by Saturday morning.  Honestly might be a good way to get more top player in the events before the major if you give the week off leading in and start every event before a Major on a Monday, Tuesday and have it end by Thursday or Friday.   I think if you give top players 2-3 days to put in work before the Major they might be willing to go to a lesser event.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stooch said:

Actually this event could work, if having the week off before stays and start the event on Monday or Tues and end it on Friday.  You'll have all eyes with nobody else playing and correct me if I'm wrong with time zone difference you can run it into primetime for the East coast and everyone is out of there by Saturday morning.  Honestly might be a good way to get more top player in the events before the major if you give the week off leading in and start every event before a Major on a Monday, Tuesday and have it end by Thursday or Friday.   I think if you give top players 2-3 days to put in work before the Major they might be willing to go to a lesser event.

I assume they still have a pro am? That would muck up a Monday start. A Tuesday start might work. Must. Think. Outside. The. Box. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I assume they still have a pro am? That would muck up a Monday start. A Tuesday start might work. Must. Think. Outside. The. Box. 

Sure, if done with other majors a Tuesday start is no problem, this week is a but tougher, the winner will play 7 rounds I think, so Monday would probably be optimum for this event.  Though if the week off before is part of it having the pro am on Saturday or Sunday is no biggie, heck if you can get the people to show up you can have 2 pro-am days Sat and Sun

17 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

The tour just might have to rethink this one. Don't know if it's the location, format, or schedule, but how do you wind up with only two of the top 10 ranked players in the field? I mean, even local Inbee is skipping this one. Hmmmm.

Inbee also withdrew from the US Open at Pine Needles.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/05/23/us-womens-open-inbee-park-withdraws-pine-needles-andrea-lee/

Inbee Park will not compete in the 77th U.S. Women’s Open at Pine Needles. The two-time U.S. Women’s Open winner has withdrawn from the event in Southern Pines, North Carolina, along with this week’s Bank of Hope LPGA Match Play event.

Park’s manager told Golfweek that she’s taking off a few weeks to get back into top form and will decide on an upcoming schedule soon

Edited by grm24
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Inbee finished T9 here last year. Seems like she played well enough. 

I guess its a matter of perspective, but I suspect toiling in the heat on a long course for T9 in that wouldn't have thrilled her.

I'm going to stand by my comments that she will cherry pick events that best suit her game going forward and play a reduced schedule leading to retirement.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

21 hours ago, Lobby said:

Too hot and too many holes.   If I were an LPGA pro, I'd skip this one.

Weather's actually pretty great right now. Mid 80s/low 90s - which isn't as hot as it sounds. It's a little cooler up here than down in the valley. 

Source: I live about 10mins from SC. 🙂

The real craziness is how windy it's been the last month or so. I swear I haven't played a round that didn't have 20mph sustained since like March. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

7 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

It will be very interesting to see how Ayaka Furue handles Match Play.   

Is Hinako Shibuno playing & I missed finding her name?

Several folks with a lower priority ranking than Shibuno (eg Kelly Tan, Allisen  Corpuz) = are in the match play field?

https://www.lpga.com/-/media/files/priority-list/2022/2022-lpga-priority-listupdatereshuffle1051722.pdf

Edited by JungleJimbo

11 hours ago, Stooch said:

The distance of a US Open course is tough for Inbee (they're usually always long), still surprised she's skipping a Major but I think it's hardest one for her to do well in ....... so it would seems she's cherry picking the places where she performs best, which she's earned the right to do 

Makes sense as Inbee is shorter than many players on the LPGA (151/161 this year). If Pine Needles plays firm and fast it would seem like she would have a shot there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JungleJimbo said:

Is Hinako Shibuno playing & I missed finding her name?

Several folks with a lower priority ranking than Shibuno (eg Kelly Tan, Allisen  Corpuz) = are in the match play field?

https://www.lpga.com/-/media/files/priority-list/2022/2022-lpga-priority-listupdatereshuffle1051722.pdf

They have have reshuffled some due to globe standings.  If the season ended today they'd both be in the Tour Championship along with Annie and Andrea (yay)

Shibuno is out, likely resting for next week. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 18majors said:

Pairings are out

Matches to watch on Wednesday, May 25:

Hye Jin Choi vs. Su Oh

Danielle Kang vs. Kelly Tan

Ayaka Furue vs. Pauline Russin-Bouchard

Will Aditi Ashok have to play with rental clubs or a backup set?

Update/Edit: Aditi’s Golf bag has been retrieved! Glad to see she uses a “Strong Arm” in her travel bag (that mushroom 🍄 shaped Long contraption, to protect her clubs in-transit) 

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Haha 1

Bank Of Hope Match Play Begins Thrill Stretch Of Championship Golf

23 May 2022

Written By: Amy Rogers @TheAmyRogers

Amy Rogers is an award winning multimedia journalist and freelance writer who has covered professional golf since 2007. She is a contributor to LPGA.com in addition to the Golf Channel and BBC's coverage of the LPGA Tour.

One of the most thrilling stretches of the 2022 LPGA Tour season begins with the Bank of Hope LPGA Match-Play presented by MGM Rewards. The match play kicks off five consecutive weeks of competition in which the world’s best players will also compete in two major championships - the U.S. Women’s Open and the KPMG Women’s PGA Championship - and make stops at some of the most popular events of the year - the ShopRite LPGA Classic presented by Acer and Meijer LPGA Classic for Simply Give.

First, players will have to outlast five days, seven rounds, and more than 120 holes of golf to be crowned the winner of the Bank of Hope LPGA Match-Play. The event, which is in just its second playing at Shadow Creek in Las Vegas begins on Wednesday.

For the first three days, the 64-player field, which is divided into 16 groups of four players each, will compete within their group over in a round robin style competition. The top point earner from each group will advance to the single elimination matches, which begin on Saturday. In the morning, eight single elimination matches will be played followed by four quarterfinal matches in the afternoon. Sunday, two semifinal matches will be played in the morning to determine the final two players who will square off in the afternoon Championship Match.

Ally Ewing played more than 120 holes of golf en route to capturing the inaugural Bank of Hope Match Play in 2021, when she defeated Sophia Popov 2 and 1 for her second career victory on the LPGA Tour.

“It was exhausting. I think I was limping in on the finish line really. Fatigue was definitely a factor. Four rounds of stroke play, 18, 18, 18, 18 is a grueling week, especially if you're in contention,” said Ewing after her victory last year. “This week was unlike any other. I'm definitely going to have to tape up the feet I think for another week, but well worth it.”

The field includes Ariya Jutanugarn, who finished third at the match play last year. Danielle Kang, who calls Las Vegas home, is also returning to the field after a T5 last season. Winners already this season - Minjee Lee, Atthaya Thitikul, Hyo Joo Kim and Jennifer Kupcho - are also in the field.

Players who compete in the match play will face the challenge of maintaining their form and stamina as the following week they’ll make the trip cross country to Southern Pines, North Carolina to Pine Needles Lodge and Golf Club for the U.S. Women’s Open. There, Yuka Saso will look to defend her title at the second major championship of the year.

From North Carolina, players will head north to Galloway, New Jersey for the annual ShopRite LPGA Classic. The 54-hole event has been a fixture on the LPGA’s schedule since 1992 and it's where Celine Boutier will look to defend her title.

Next, the LPGA Tour visits Belmont, Michigan for the Meijer LPGA Classic at Blythefield Country Club. Last season, Nelly Korda and Leona Maguire went head-to-head over the final 18 holes in which Korda came out on top.

And, finally, the five-week stretch will wrap up with the KPMG Women’s PGA Championship, the season’s third major. For the first time, the women’s major will be staged at Congressional Country Club in Bethesda, Maryland where Korda is defending champion for the second week in a row.

The next five weeks on the LPGA Tour will no doubt deliver some of the most thrilling golf of the season as the world’s best square off for some of the most prestigious titles of the year.

Copyright © LPGA 2022. All Rights Reserved.

Bank of Hope LPGA Match-Play presented by MGM Rewards - Tuesday Pre-Tournament Notes

24 May 2022

Written By: LPGA Communications @LPGA

LPGA TOUR HEADS TO LAS VEGAS FOR BANK OF HOPE LPGA MATCH-PLAY HOSTED BY SHADOW CREEK

The world’s best female golfers have taken to the famed Las Vegas Strip for the second playing of the Bank of Hope LPGA Match-Play presented by MGM Rewards. The tournament field boasts 64 competitors, led by 2021 Match-Play champion Ally Ewing and runner-up Sophia Popov, Rolex Rankings No. 4 Minjee Lee and Las Vegas resident Danielle Kang.

The Bank of Hope LPGA Match-Play presented by MGM Rewards joined the LPGA Tour calendar in 2021 as the first match-play event since the 2017 Lorena Ochoa Match Play. Other official LPGA Tour match-play competitions include the 2010-2012 Sybase LPGA Match Play Championship and the 2005-2007 HSBC Women’s World Match Play Championship, as well as the 1950-1954 Women’s Western Open, then a major championship.

Shadow Creek, built in 1989 by renowned golf architect Tom Fazio, is considered one of the world’s top golfing destinations. In 2018, the course served as host for The Match: Tiger vs. Phil, which saw Phil Mickelson outlast Tiger Woods in a match that stretched to 22 holes. In October 2020, Shadow Creek hosted the PGA Tour’s CJ CUP, won by Jason Kokrak. MGM Resorts has also supported the women’s game for many years through its Golf Ambassador program, led by popular Tour players Natalie GulbisDanielle KangCristie KerrAlison LeeAnna Nordqvist and Michelle Wie West.

LPGA TOUR HISTORY IN LAS VEGAS

• The KPMG Women’s PGA Championship was held at Stardust C.C. in Las Vegas from 1961 to 1966, with champions including Mickey Wright (1961, 1963) and Sandra Haynie (1965)
  • The Desert Inn Classic was held at Desert Inn C.C. from 1971 to 1974, with winners including Sandra Palmer (1971) and JoAnne Carner (1974)
  • The J&B Scotch Pro-Am was held at various Las Vegas clubs from 1979 to 1985, with winners including Nancy Lopez (1979, 1982, 1983), Donna Caponi (1980, 1981) and Patty Sheehan (1985)
  • The Las Vegas LPGA was held at various Las Vegas clubs from 1990 to 1993, with winners including Trish Johnson (1993)
  • The ITT LPGA Tour Championship (eventually called the LPGA Playoffs at The ADT) was held at Desert Inn C.C. from 1996 to 1999, with winners Karrie Webb (1996), Annika Sorenstam (1997), Laura Davies (1998) and Se Ri Pak (1999)
  • The LPGA Takefuji Classic was held at Las Vegas C.C. from 2003 to 2006, with winners including Cristie Kerr (2004) and Lorena Ochoa (2006)
  • The Wendy’s 3-Tour Challenge (an unofficial event with the LPGA Tour, PGA Tour and PGA Tour Champions) was held at various clubs in Las Vegas from 1992 to 2013

TRENDING UPWARD, SOPHIA POPOV IS PRIMED FOR PLAY AT SHADOW CREEK

It hasn’t been the season Sophia Popov wanted. Following her 4-under first round at the 2022 Cognizant Founders Cup, the major champion said “It’s been a minute” as she entered the interview tent. After another sub-70 round the next day to make her first cut in four events, Popov believes her game, though far from perfect, is finally trending up. 

“I think that week was really nice for me from a momentum perspective,” Popov said this week in Las Vegas. “I finally played some better golf. I had moments here and there where I was making a lot of birdies. I've been making a couple higher numbers, too, which is something that I am working on to eliminate the doubles and the triples.”

There’s no place better for Popov to continue this trend than at this week’s Bank of Hope LPGA Match-Play presented by MGM Rewards. Popov finished second in last year’s inaugural event and was later invited to become an MGM ambassador. A year later, the partnership has allowed Popov to make Vegas “like a second home" and has given her the opportunity to play the exclusive Shadow Creek course more than once. The match-play format is also a familiar favorite of the German golfer, who uses it to bring out her competitive edge. 

“Match play for me has always been something in Europe we grow up with. We have the European Team Championships and the British Am,” Popov said. “It's fun because I like that one-on-one. I like having my opponent right in front of me and then just trying to better the girl that I'm playing against.”

The opponent in front of her when match play begins Wednesday is Las Vegas resident Jenny Shin, who advanced to the Round of 16 in 2021. Also in Popov’s group-play pod are Haeji Kang and Hannah Green, who she will face Thursday and Friday respectively. No matter the opponent, Popov is prepared for highly competitive play.  

“Jenny is very solid so I’m definitely going to have to bring my A game,” she said. “But that's the case for anyone who is here this week. Regardless of who I'm playing against, I'm going to have to play my best golf.

DANIELLE KANG FIGHTING THROUGH BACK INJURY TO PLAY BELOVED VEGAS EVENT

This week’s de facto host is major champion Danielle Kang, a Las Vegas resident and long-time MGM Ambassador who calls Shadow Creek Golf Course home when she’s not on the road competing. Kang has happily been sharing her Vegas expertise with LPGA Tour players and staff alike, making food and nightlife recommendations in her adopted hometown. But tips on playing Shadow Creek, considered one of the toughest tracks on the United States? Don’t even think about it. 

“I know that I have the golf course on my side because I know where to miss it and where to play,” said Kang, who won the season-opening Hilton Grand Vacations Tournament of Champions in January. “The green reading is really difficult here, and I've played here so many times, and that's the one, it might give me 2% advantage, but that's advantage that I need. When girls ask me how to play No. 17, the par3, I just say, you got to figure it out.”

The fact that Kang is out here at all is a testament to her love of this match-play tournament and the support of her long-time sponsor. Kang was forced to withdraw from two of her last three events with a lingering back injury and says she has visited numerous specialists over the last month to help get her into playing shape. Kang, never one to sit still when she could be on a golf course, even admitted to indulging in a few Vegas experiences she’d never before considered.

“I am not a brunch person, but I definitely brunched. I did not know people just hung out at 10:30 in the morning just to eat for like two hours. I experienced that. It was fun,” she said with a laugh. “Hung out by the pool. I never tan; tanned enough. Things like that. Just trying to find the good things and taking the time to hang out with my friends.”

Kang says that this week’s match-play format plays to her advantage, as the long Shadow Creek walk is mitigated by not putting out on every hole or even playing every hole. A mistake can be quickly erased. So Wednesday’s match against Kelly Tan is certain to bring out the ultimate competitor that lives in Kang, back injury or not.

“I might not have my game fully where I want it, but the seedings, the round robin, it will help me out a bit. You make a mistake and it gets washed. If I'm making a lot of bogeys, it's okay,” said Kang. “It's not like we're at the U.S. Open yet where it's going to be costly. So I have a better idea why I'm playing this week. Sometimes we don't even have to play all 18 holes. You have to look at a lot of positive things.”

Copyright © LPGA 2022. All Rights Reserved.

• Like 3