Should another one of the majors be played outside the US?

4thand11

Saw Paul McGinley make this point on golf channel yesterday.  3 of the 4 golf majors are in the USA.  Obviously US Open and Masters have to be in the US but he suggested having an international rotation for the PGA. 

I think it makes sense.  If you look at the tennis majors they are all in different countries.  I wouldn't want 3 of the 4 tennis majors in different US cities.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, 4thand11 said:

Saw Paul McGinley make this point on golf channel yesterday.  3 of the 4 golf majors are in the USA.  Obviously US Open and Masters have to be in the US but he suggested having an international rotation for the PGA. 

I think it makes sense.  If you look at the tennis majors they are all in different countries.  I wouldn't want 3 of the 4 tennis majors in different US cities.

absolutely, been saying this for years. so many great courses and golfing communities outside of US and British Isles. This would also help thwart upstart leagues. But the PGA is too selfish wanting to keep it to US courses and US club pros with no chance

Ping G410 LST 9.0 TENSEI AV Orange 65
Ping G 14.5 Kuro Kage TiNi 70

Titleist U505 18 Graphite Design AD DI-85 Hybrid

Titleist T200 4 - PW KBS Tour

Yururi Tataki 52.5 (@ 50.5), 56.5 (@ 54.5) and 60.5 KBS 610 Wedge
Ping Anser 2
Golf Pride New Decade
Titleist ProV1x
UA Jordan Spieth 2

Posted (edited)

Well... Considering the PGA Championship is put on by the Professional Golfers' Association of America I don't think it would make any sense at all for them to play the even outside of the US.

Edit - just saw the previous 3 posts brought up the same thing 🤣

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

Well... Considering the PGA Championship is put on by the Professional Golfers' Association of America I don't think it would make any sense at all for them to play the even outside of the US.

Edit - just saw the previous 3 posts brought up the same thing 🤣

Also the US Open organized by the United States Golf Association usually has venues based in the States so it makes a lot of sense.  It would be really weird to have a US Open in Canada since Canada has their own Open championship organized by Golf Canada.

What an idiotic thread.

• Like 2

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

i like paul ... but he's wrong bout this ... 

now, they should move the wgc event in china to somewhere in south america, eventually ... chile, for instance ... assuming a chilean can win a major and knock off the popularity of football ... 

but i digress ... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Nothing wrong with cities/countries/venues starting something up somewhere in the world and offering up money to see if the Pro's will take it seriously or not given the lack of history and cache the event would have...  Oh wait...

Edited by PEI_Golfer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Cobra LTDx (blue) 10.5* AV Raw Blue 65 TX

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour 14.5* AV Raw Blue 75 TX

Titleist TS3 19* AV Raw Blue 75X

Edel 4-PW Nippon SPB X

Edel 50/54/58 TI S400

Yes Abbie Forged

PV1X/TPX

6 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

Unless you create a 5th major, I think it is fine as it is.  Outside of the Masters, the others are played on different courses every year, which I actually think is better than what happens in tennis.

clay, grass and hardcourt aren't sufficiently different from one another?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, goaliedad30 said:

Um, the PGA is owned and put on by the Professional Golfers Association of America. I think it's highly unlikely that a US-based trade association, which is basically run for the benefit of their club pro members, has any interest in moving their premier event outside the US. 

I didn't see the broadcast where McGinley suggested it, but this take is right up there with "Maybe they should have the Masters at Muirfield every other year" ...

45 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

This comes up often and of course, no.

It's the PGA of "America" and there is absolutely no reason for it to be played overseas.  

Obviously the PGA is an American organization... however golf is now a global game and it seems odd that 3 of the 4 majors are in the US.   How about instead of the FedEx Cup snoozefest they have a 5th major, played internationally?   LPGA added the Evian in France to the major rotation, and I think it was a welcome addition, on a very scenic and interesting golf course.  Is it so crucial that a major be held in Rochester NY, rather than somewhere in the rest of the globe?

Also regarding the PGA being run for the benefit of club pros...  I don't see why a golf major should be scheduled to benefit club pros who are no factor in the actual tournament?  They could fly the club pros off to Europe or Asia or South America, no?  It's still an international field in the tournament so why is it so crucial that it be played on US soil?

11 minutes ago, 4thand11 said:

Obviously the PGA is an American organization... however golf is now a global game and it seems odd that 3 of the 4 majors are in the US.   How about instead of the FedEx Cup snoozefest they have a 5th major, played internationally?   LPGA added the Evian in France to the major rotation, and I think it was a welcome addition, on a very scenic and interesting golf course.  Is it so crucial that a major be held in Rochester NY, rather than somewhere in the rest of the globe?

Also regarding the PGA being run for the benefit of club pros...  I don't see why a golf major should be scheduled to benefit club pros who are no factor in the actual tournament?  They could fly the club pros off to Europe or Asia or South America, no?  It's still an international field in the tournament so why is it so crucial that it be played on US soil?

Do you watch all the DP World Tour events? PGA Championship has a lot of history and heritage that goes along with it. PGA Club pro's may not always be relative in the competitive field, but their participation and opportunity to compete is a factor for many in maintaining a career as a PGA professional, which is good for the game within the US. And the PGA always has one of the strongest strength of fields year after year. Again, we don't need to reinvent everything that has stood the test of time thus far, let's leave it be for now because it is not broken. 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, 4thand11 said:

Yes--- last time I checked, Rochester NY is in the USA, making it an eligible location for the PGA of America's tournament.

Not only that but Rochester's proximity to Canada make it a huge draw for Canadian visitors to the event.  It's always a packed event.  Rochester has a deeply rooted history with golf and some of the most avid golf fans around.  It is the birth place of Walter Hagen and he spent his youth there learning and refining his game.  It was also the home of Robert Trent Jones Sr for many years, where he not only started his career in golf the region but is also the location of his first golf course built.  Oak Hill itself is a gem of a Donald Ross design that has withstood the test of time and evolved to meet the challenges of the modern game.  Host of past US Opens, US Senior Opens, PGA Championship, Senior PGA Championships and the Ryder Cup. Pretty deep history and in golf history matters!

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, 4thand11 said:

their status as a major occurred in the US ... the tour that operates in the US helped make golf the global game it is today ... the US is responsible for much of the growth of the game of golf ... 

how on earth is it 'odd' that the majors or a major are not/is not moved to another country? 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 4thand11 said:

LPGA's decision to add a major for all sorts of reasons had nothing to do with moving an existing major out of its "home" so to speak and all it did was dilute the value of majors for that Tour, so not apples to apples.

If you don't understand the value of the PGA of America and supporting club pros just because they may not make the cut or be a threat to win, you've already lost the argument and aren't really thinking through a lot of what goes into it all.

There is no "should" other than it should be where the PGA of America wants to hold it.  Who knows what they'll do in the future but there seems to be very little in its organizational interest to play its major in a foreign land.  I predict never.

Maybe the USGA "should" hold the U.S. Open overseas?  I predict never.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 3