Should another one of the majors be played outside the US?

4thand11

hey everyone. In regards to the PGA being a world major though it would be nice to see since all PGA's do amazing work worldwide but it may/will never happen. 

However to change it up, why not perhaps change the format, 36 holes Matchplay then 36 Strokeplay or perhaps have a Players or PGA professionals vote to determine where the next championship should be played or better ask the Defending/New Champion should be able to choose the following years tournament location.  

of course it may never happen but at the end of the day it would be nice to freshen things up but again I respect that it is run by the PGA of America and its been that way for 104+ years and counting. 

anyway Good golf and well done to Justin Thomas on the W. He's still 2 behind tiger btw lol 

let me say this in a nice way ...Scotland may be the birthplace of golf , and I recognize the Open as the world's open championship....but the remaining three majors are there because they are the cornerstones  of golf, they are not going any where...I like McGinley  he is refreshing  but on this he is out to lunch

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Yes--- last time I checked, Rochester NY is in the USA, making it an eligible location for the PGA of America's tournament.

Not only that but Rochester's proximity to Canada make it a huge draw for Canadian visitors to the event.  It's always a packed event.  Rochester has a deeply rooted history with golf and some of the most avid golf fans around.  It is the birth place of Walter Hagen and he spent his youth there learning and refining his game.  It was also the home of Robert Trent Jones Sr for many years, where he not only started his career in golf the region but is also the location of his first golf course built.  Oak Hill itself is a gem of a Donald Ross design that has withstood the test of time and evolved to meet the challenges of the modern game.  Host of past US Opens, US Senior Opens, PGA Championship, Senior PGA Championships and the Ryder Cup. Pretty deep history and in golf history matters!

Damn straight!!

Coming from a former Rochesterian and gentleman golfer. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DavidH88 said:

hey everyone. In regards to the PGA being a world major though it would be nice to see since all PGA's do amazing work worldwide but it may/will never happen. 

However to change it up, why not perhaps change the format, 36 holes Matchplay then 36 Strokeplay or perhaps have a Players or PGA professionals vote to determine where the next championship should be played or better ask the Defending/New Champion should be able to choose the following years tournament location.  

of course it may never happen but at the end of the day it would be nice to freshen things up but again I respect that it is run by the PGA of America and its been that way for 104+ years and counting. 

anyway Good golf and well done to Justin Thomas on the W. He's still 2 behind tiger btw lol 

Tournament venues are chosen years in advance and the work begins at a particular site >24 months before a ball is hit. Tournament staff actually relocate for a year or more to a future site. 

I can tell you that Oak Hill's renovations for preparing for 2023  pga championship started in 2019, shortly after the Senior PGA championship concluded there. 

Lots of very complex logistics to running these events so successfully year after year. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Tournament venues are chosen years in advance and the work begins at a particular site >24 months before a ball is hit. Tournament staff actually relocate for a year or more to a future site. 

I can tell you that Oak Hill's renovations for preparing for 2023  pga championship started in 2019, shortly after the Senior PGA championship concluded there. 

Lots of very complex logistics to running these events so successfully year after year. 

Agreed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Which organization is over these Majors?

(You guys know that "a major" is a media derived concept in golf right?  At one point it was the US Am, US Open, British Am and whatever they called The Open back in the day.  The media anointed the current four as such.)

But my money would be on Australia.  Pick a classic sand-belt course (that hasn't been butchered too much) and play there.  The southern hemisphere major.  Rotate it between Australia, Philippines, South Africa and appropriate South American courses. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Truth. 

When I met my in-laws they were living in Pinehurst. This was April 1996. They were already starting to prep for the U.S. Open, to be played in 1999. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, smashdn said:

(You guys know that "a major" is a media derived concept in golf right?  At one point it was the US Am, US Open, British Am and whatever they called The Open back in the day.  The media anointed the current four as such.)

But my money would be on Australia.  Pick a classic sand-belt course (that hasn't been butchered too much) and play there.  The southern hemisphere major.  Rotate it between Australia, Philippines, South Africa and appropriate South American courses. 

The four traditional majors have been described and recognized as such since the 1940s.  

And yes, journalists writing about golf influenced that but the recognition of importance started with the players themselves, the idea that at least three of them were national championships I'm sure contributed, etc. - they weren't "anointed" as such.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, raynorfan1 said:

If any should go global, it should be The Open, no? If we need to be insufferably reminded each year that it's not the "British" Open...then perhaps they should host it outside of Britain.

And they do - in Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK, but not a part of Great Britain.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I'd love to see a Open Championship played in Sandbelt of Australia (Melbourne)

• Like 4

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

3 hours ago, tiderider said:

clay, grass and hardcourt aren't sufficiently different from one another?

I’m not talking about playing surfaces, I’m talking about same locations.  Obviously would think people were smart enough to realize that since I have never seen a golf tournament played on clay or painted concrete.

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

34 minutes ago, smashdn said:

The networks aren’t going to support staging a major where the leaders are coming down the stretch 

at 3am EST ; )

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The US should invade Russia then hold the US Open there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

3 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

What a dumb comment by McGinley, for reasons others have said.

A major is not made by someone calling it a major. It is made by history. For all of the trying, The Players, the Tour Championship, the WGCs, none of them came close to being considered majors.

This right here x100. You can't just create new majors out of thin air, and what motivation does the PGA of America have to move their signature tournament outside of the US? Most of the world's top golfers already live and play in the US, it makes sense that most of the major tournaments would be here as well. Great for tennis that it has its major tournaments all over the world, but there's no reason to force that for golf.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

I’m not talking about playing surfaces, I’m talking about same locations.  Obviously would think people were smart enough to realize that since I have never seen a golf tournament played on clay or painted concrete.

it's monday ... 

24 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

What about Australia is British? 

The Open is the Open

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

3 minutes ago, Santiago Golf said:

The Open is the Open

It's "The Open Championship" for sure, but it's still a UK event put on by the R&A and no reason for it to vary from its roots and mostly set in stone rota of links courses.  "Open" has little to do with the location of the tournament, but it is open to golfers from around the world to try to qualify and then travel to the site of the event.  How they now choose to brand it doesn't change it from something geographically tied to England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

30 minutes ago, mkuether said:

This right here x100. You can't just create new majors out of thin air

Isn't that how "majors" were created in the first place? As a kiwi I'd love to see a major hosted in the likes of Aussie, courses are a bit tougher than usual and closer to home for me. Problem is either money or prestige, being blunt if you had to have 'four' majors then the Masters could be dropped in favour of another one. Weakest field etc etc, nothing like seeing Sandy Lyle tee it up every year. 

There has to be a reason for players to want to play, they want to go to Augusta each year, money isn't enough. So I don't really have a solution, short of making overseas tournaments more appealing, IE winner of the Australian Open gets a spot in Masters, winner of the New Zealand Open gets a spot in the Australian and so forth. 

Like abolishing the electoral college, there SHOULD be more majors outside the US. But it ain't gonna happen so why even talk about it, unless you have a brilliant idea to make it happen.

Unless of course the powers that be decided to do a massive consolidation, set up a global Tour, with multiples more fully exempt players, guaranteed money, big money premier events to attract superstars coupled with more second tier events, specially built tournament venues, etc. 😇

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

17 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

It's "The Open Championship" for sure, but it's still a UK event put on by the R&A and no reason for it to vary from its roots and mostly set in stone rota of links courses.  "Open" has little to do with the location of the tournament, but it is open to golfers from around the world to try to qualify and then travel to the site of the event.  How they now choose to brand it doesn't change it from something geographically tied to England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

The R&A is the governing body for the world besides the US and Mexico 

10 minutes ago, Santiago Golf said:

The R&A is the governing body for the world besides the US and Mexico 

Pretty sure it doesn't govern Canada, so there goes The Open Championship in Calgary.

Again, that isn't the point but if you can get the R&A to host The Open Championship somewhere else, have at it, up to them for sure.

29 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

Isn't that how "majors" were created in the first place? As a kiwi I'd love to see a major hosted in the likes of Aussie, courses are a bit tougher than usual and closer to home for me. Problem is either money or prestige, being blunt if you had to have 'four' majors then the Masters could be dropped in favour of another one. Weakest field etc etc, nothing like seeing Sandy Lyle tee it up every year. 

There has to be a reason for players to want to play, they want to go to Augusta each year, money isn't enough. So I don't really have a solution, short of making overseas tournaments more appealing, IE winner of the Australian Open gets a spot in Masters, winner of the New Zealand Open gets a spot in the Australian and so forth. 

The players want to win The Masters more than any tournament. That includes British players. 

The PGA is not, by structure, a World Golf Association.  As I understand, it's a US association.  Majors should be designed within accordance to PGA standards.  Associations outside the US that interpret an event as a major should be by agreement.  Like The Open is seen as a major.  Purposely adding new events in other countries to the current number of majors, and calling them majors is IMO a bogus move to make the PGA a World Golf Assoc, which is what Norman has chased for years...NOT happening.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

It would need to be a 5th major. Would be weird to have the Masters, PGA, or US Open not in the US....

I mean unless the Masters decided to partner with some iconic course in another country and split hosting duties. But i'm sure that's fairly unlikely

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique