Should another one of the majors be played outside the US?

4thand11

1 hour ago, MattTheTaff said:

Who gets to decide if a tournament is a 'Major'? Does it get ratified by an organisation, does it actually exist on paper? Or is it just a social construct that only exist in the heads of the people who say it exists?

You know....like.... Canadians, for example.

Or LPGA money counters that accept the Evian?

The four mens majors are MAJORS a this point because of tradition.  The womens majors are more closely aligned with the LPGA. What is a major for the women has been a more fluid proposition.

That is why the talk of “just create a “fifth” will not work.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

14 hours ago, tiderider said:

that's not the worst idea ... 

It has some logistical issues.  As I got to looking, a good many of the European ones are happening in august and september, when the PGAT has turned the page so-to-speak.  That doesn't really align with adding cache and prestige (at least in the US) due to coming up against the NFL, but I think they are a far sight better than the wrap around [non] silly season, silly season tournaments.

That being said, aside from straight cash, I am not sure how you attract the world's best post Fed Ex cup.  If I were ruler of the golfing world, I would move the PGA 'ship back to August, TPC back to May, encourage guys to play the Irish and Scottish ahead of The OC, and maybe schedule another European Open behind that.  Back to the US to start ramping towards the PGA and the Tour Championship.  

I would replace some of those terds in Sept - Christmas with the Euro Opens.  Not sure how you weave Australian Open into the mix.  You Aussies are a long way from everywhere (except NZ).  Maybe do the Australian Open right ahead of the Sony so you fly from OZ to HI?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

The four mens majors are MAJORS a this point because of tradition.  The womens majors are more closely aligned with the LPGA. What is a major for the women has been a more fluid proposition.

Senior majors are an interesting matter.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Tradiition is not really answer though, is it?

Its an intangible, abstract concept that is akin to 'well, we've always done it like this'.

Some of you need to question your ideas on history, authority and 'why the hell are we doing this in the first place'.

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Cleveland 588 Forged 50°/54°/60°
Wilson Staff 8882

29 minutes ago, MattTheTaff said:

Its an intangible, abstract concept that is akin to 'well, we've always done it like this'.

Some of you need to question your ideas on history, authority and 'why the hell are we doing this in the first place'.

But - that’s akin to saying “ blow it all up “. Well that falls apart when we ask “ why “? 

the answer is always “ because we said so “.  

ok.  Why would I change to suit one random whim , when the current random whim is working perfectly fine ????

Change for the sake of change is part of the insanity paradigm  .  It’s the antithesis of “ doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result “    It’s only insanity if the current result is undesirable to most   ……most do not believe that the current result is undesirable- therefore changing just to change it becomes the new definition of insanity.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, MattTheTaff said:

Hambone effect

Edited by smashdn
Left off "effect."

10 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

But - that’s akin to saying “ blow it all up “. Well that falls apart when we ask “ why “? 

the answer is always “ because we said so “.  

ok.  Why would I change to suit one random whim , when the current random whim is working perfectly fine ????

Change for the sake of change is part of the insanity paradigm  .  It’s the antithesis of “ doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result “    It’s only insanity if the current result is undesirable to most   ……most do not believe that the current result is undesirable- therefore changing just to change it becomes the new definition of insanity.  

Good, now we're getting somewhere. And I agree up to a point. Personally I dont anything will change unless corporate interests tell us things will change.

But for those arguing for change, and those defending the status quo, you have to get to the root of the problem. That is: what is the definition of a 'Major'

Who decides what is a major, the USGA, RnA, old duffers in green jackets, corporate sponsors, the media, or public opinion?

Or can anyone just set up a comp and call it the most prestigious tourney in the world?

I think this is the real reason why there is so much controversy around this Saudi tour. Its not because of Greg Norman, lefty, or the heinous human rights abuses in Saudi, its because these boys have real money and are challenging the existing establishment (RnA, USGA, etc).

• Thanks 1

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Cleveland 588 Forged 50°/54°/60°
Wilson Staff 8882

6 hours ago, rblmp32 said:

Majors have their fair share of no namers winning too.  Shaun Michel, Rich Beem, Ben Curtis, Todd Hamilton?    Random guys winning isn't a characteristic of the Players, it happens in majors too.  

None of those names are in the last 10 years.  I don't remember where but I remember reading that there was an inordinate number of odd major winners in the early '00s; some speculated it had to do with the advent of the solid core golf ball.  Besides Phil it seems like a long time since someone outside the top 50 won.

1 minute ago, Cincy_Ken said:

None of those names are in the last 10 years.  I don't remember where but I remember reading that there was an inordinate number of odd major winners in the early '00s; some speculated it had to do with the advent of the solid core golf ball.  Besides Phil it seems like a long time since someone outside the top 50 won.

Just pulled up a list, Since Keegan won at #108 in 2011 lowest ranked major winners are Jimmy Walker at #48, two legends of the game in Els and Mickelson at #40 and #115, then Shane Lowry at #33.  Major Champs have been really solid for a decade.  In fairness recent Players champs have been too but Si Woo Kim was more recent than any of the odd major winners

44 minutes ago, MattTheTaff said:

Good, now we're getting somewhere. And I agree up to a point. Personally I dont anything will change unless corporate interests tell us things will change.

But for those arguing for change, and those defending the status quo, you have to get to the root of the problem. That is: what is the definition of a 'Major'

Who decides what is a major, the USGA, RnA, old duffers in green jackets, corporate sponsors, the media, or public opinion?

Or can anyone just set up a comp and call it the most prestigious tourney in the world?

I think this is the real reason why there is so much controversy around this Saudi tour. Its not because of Greg Norman, lefty, or the heinous human rights abuses in Saudi, its because these boys have real money and are challenging the existing establishment (RnA, USGA, etc).

But if it were only money.   Wouldn’t they get their way ? 

i personally believe it to be tradition - tradition that started with the open , and then the us open etc. tradition based upon the start of industrialized history really.  

to start a new one now seems fake.  There’s no tradition in todays world. We don’t keep anything.  ( I do ) but most don’t. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 minutes ago, Cincy_Ken said:

To be fair, none of those guys you listed won the Players in the last 10 years either.  Choi was the most recent, and that was 2011.  

1 hour ago, MattTheTaff said:

A golf major is defined by many facets of history surrounding the event.  This includes; how long it's been a tournament, who's played in it, who's won it, how/why it began, how prestigious the golfers themselves feel it is and fan interest.  Yes the purse is certainly important but if someone thinks they can make a major simply by throwing money at it then the are sorely uninformed.  Case and point, the fan and media interest in the FedEx cup is meager compared to anyone of the majors despite the giant pot of gold. 

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, MattTheTaff said:

They aren't challenging much of anything. 

You know the answer to your question about who decides what is a major. If by some one in a billion chance that you aren't trolling then please utilize your favorite search engine.

7 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Hole in one!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think this is another manifestation of the envy many Europeans have for American professional golf. The US PGA Tour is where every player aspires to play. The second best tour in the world, in terms of talent, is the Korn Ferry. DP World Tour? Great for professionals to learn their craft before taking a shot in the US, or for players that can’t compete on the PGA Tour but want to make a nice living in the game.

The list of PGA Championship winners includes names like Hagen, Sarazen, Nelson, Snead, Hogan, Nicklaus, Woods. If you think you’re good enough to join that list come to America and tee it up. 

3 out of 4 majors in the US? Sounds about right to me.

• Like 2