Grips make a difference to you?

Vater

Do you have the same grips throughout your clubs or is it a mixed bag - especially because you're just playing whatever grip came on your woods/hybrids/wedges?

For those who make it consistent - is it consistent all the way across your woods and irons and wedges?

Separate question: How much of a difference do standard vs midsize - or like a plus4 - make for you or is it basically all the same to you?

Driver: Cobra LTDx 10.5° Helium Nanocore

Fairway: Cobra RADSPEED 18.5° Motore X

Hybrids: Titleist TSi2 21°, 24° TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP1 24° Recoil 780

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 AMT Red

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48°, 54° Dynamic Gold; SM7 60° Modus3

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

My grips are all undersized or ladies grip as I have very small hands.  My standard grip is a Winn Ladies Dri Tac for 580 shafts. 

Tape adds 30 mils, so when I blow grips onto 600 shafts, they end up being 10 mil smaller than usual.

I have 3 Odyssey putters.  A Juniors with an 85mm circumference, and old blade 2 Ball with a 91mm circumference, and a Indianapolis with a 95mm circumference. (50mm from the end).

The 2 ball blade feels best.  I immediately noticed the difference when I tried it out after using the Indy last season.

Edited by ShortGolfer

Yes, grips make a huge difference. There are plenty of grips have come on clubs I bought that had to be change out before I could hit a single decent shot with them.

And yes, I basically keep them the same on all my club except putter. Mine are all Tour Velvet or very similar styles and I check to make sure they are within give or take .010" (or .015" worst case) of being the same diameter at 2", 5" and 8" down from the butt of the grip. 

I'd play better with shafts that don't fits me and grips that do than the other way 'round. By far. 

• Like 1

All of my clubs with the exception of the putter have the same grips (Winn DriTacs).  They are very grippy in all weather and feel very comfortable to me.  I know they get knocked because of durability concerns but I have not had any issues yet.  

Driver:  Ping 425Max (Aldila Synergy)

3W&5W:  Mizuno ST-Z (Aldila Synergy)

7W Taylor Made Stealth (Aldila Ascent)

4H:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (Accra FX)

5-GW:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (SteelFiber i110)

52* Edel SMS C-Grind (Paderson Wedge Flex)

56*W Cleveland CBX (SteelFiber i110CW)

Bettinardi QB10

I generally mix it up, will have same on woods/hybrids, irons and then wedges something else.  I'll also build up my shorter irons a bit more if the set I'm using that day doesn't have plus4s on them. 

My sets all have various grips on them from Crossline cords to Z Cords to PLus4s and a few NDMC's in there as well.  Recently a fan of the TV Plus4s for some reason and try to only put TV 360s on my woods as I will adjust the shafts throughout the season on them.

A Revolving Door

They make a huge difference to me. It’s the connection point from self to tool, so arguably the most important item!

For me, the firmer the better. I don’t like Wynn, Iomic, et. al. Lamkin Crossline, oversize, +2 wraps on every club. Leather grips would be even better, but I’m not willing to spend the $. 

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

For me, grip makes a HUGE difference and I always underestimated it until about 2 years ago when i started to play a little more golf again. Bought a kit for installing grips myself and played around with various sizes, types and layers underneath.

While I wont tell you I feel the difference of 1 layer more or less without having two clubs directly next to each other, I defintely am most comfortable with a certain grip size.

Currently have Tour Velvet Ribbed (0.580 core) with 1+1 layers of tape underneath. Certainly more comfortable than the midsized grips I had last year but might go back to a +4 type of grip (larger low hand). If GP only made a +4 Tour Velvet with a rib...

Edited by Bunkersarebigcups

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

2 minutes ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

Currently have Tour Velvet Ribbed (0.580 core) with 1+1 layers of tape underneath. Certainly more comfortable than the midsized grips I had last year but might go back to a +4 type of grip (larger low hand). If GP only made a +4 Tour Velvet with a rib...

There was a period in my life when one of the pros at my club could actually get ribbed grips on there straight and aligned the same on each club. I used Tour Velvet Ribbed .580 with no extra wraps and on a .600 butt steel shaft they were PERFECT. Man I liked those grips.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to install them straight myself and I don't know of anyone I'd trust to do it. That assistant pro has long since moved on to work in another industry, alas!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, North Butte said:

There was a period in my life when one of the pros at my club could actually get ribbed grips on there straight and aligned the same on each club. I used Tour Velvet Ribbed .580 with no extra wraps and on a .600 butt steel shaft they were PERFECT. Man I liked those grips.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to install them straight myself and I don't know of anyone I'd trust to do it. That assistant pro has long since moved on to work in another industry, alas!

Its a PITA for sure... It might be easier with the Calibrate grips from Lamkin, the have a nice neon line on the rib. But tbh, I managed to get them on pretty straight. Lots of Bramptons HF-100 on it and then align the "notches" on top of the grip.

Takes some practice and a grip might need a couple of minutes until I am happy but I get it done. And I do seriously HATE grips that arent perfect.

So give it a try! Ribbed grips are just the best, I dont know how people can play with round grips, my grip and face control would be all over the place.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

First off, I use leather grips because I like the tack in all weather conditions. as for grip styles, I use wrap style (TGM Classic Wrap Midsize) grips on my woods (because they are adjustable) and wedges (because I open them up for shots on occasions). All of my irons have stitchback grips (TGM Roo Midsize) because I just like them on my irons. I use Midsize grips because all my early golfing days, I felt like I had to grip the crap out of the club because they were so small.

Putters are gripped with large non-taper.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I play midsize Lamkins in my Driver down to my 9 iron with two wraps of tape under them.   My PW is still up for debate, but my GW, SW, and LW are all the X-Small Jumbomax.   I tried one on my driver and hated it, but love it in my wedges so far.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

4 minutes ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

Its a PITA for sure... It might be easier with the Calibrate grips from Lamkin, the have a nice neon line on the rib. But tbh, I managed to get them on pretty straight. Lots of Bramptons HF-100 on it and then align the "notches" on top of the grip.

Takes some practice and a grip might need a couple of minutes until I am happy but I get it done. And I do seriously HATE grips that arent perfect.

So give it a try! Ribbed grips are just the best, I dont know how people can play with round grips, my grip and face control would be all over the place.

At least a couple of times each round I will set up to address the ball and realize I've gripped it with the face like ten degrees closed. So I have to back off and start my whole thing over again. 

I figure for every time I grip it that far wrong, there's probably 2-3 more times it was slightly off but not enough to notice. 

• Like 1

They make a massive difference and I have Iomic Sticky 2.3 with 3 x layers tape on every club except putter. 

Knowing that just have to towel dry the grip, even in a monsoon, fills you with the most confidence possible.

They’re nice and boring in plain black and cost less than anything Golf Pride except the TV’s which are barely good for 3 months use. That and they’re more slippery than the slope to financial ruin caused by reading these forums. 

JumboMax on all my clubs except putter, which is a DriTac jumbo, and for the same reason: they allow me to have 'softer' hands for less tension in the swing.

Edited by Billfitz

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

Just need the size to be the same, doesn't matter if they're mixed up models.  Becomes a pain when shafts have slightly different ODs.

• Like 2

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

50 minutes ago, mshills said:

They make a huge difference to me. It’s the connection point from self to tool, so arguably the most important item!

For me, the firmer the better. I don’t like Wynn, Iomic, et. al. Lamkin Crossline, oversize, +2 wraps on every club. Leather grips would be even better, but I’m not willing to spend the $. 

Same grips for me driver through lob wedge, gripmaster kidd leather grips.  These weren't expensive at all buying them from GolfWorks.

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

I use MCC+4 on everything, although I’m perfectly happy building up the standards with tape. 

TSR3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR3 3 wood Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX

TSR3 4 hybrid Tour AD DI-105X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-PW X100

SM9 54D, 59V Modus 125W
LAB DF3 34” TPT     ‘24 TP5X

My driver and fairway wood both have Lamkin Crossline Cords on them.  My hybrids, irons and wedges go between the Crossline, Crossline Cords, and UTx grips (currently installed).  I'm going to end up putting the Crossline Cord grips on them in the next week or two.  Supply chain issues lead me back to the UTx grips, which I do like, but they don't last as long on my clubs I use the most compared to the Crossline Cords.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

I play all standard size grips. Normally I just play Tour Velvet's but my wedges have Lamkin Crosslines.  It doesn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS- Ventus Red TR 7X

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3W- GD DI 8TX

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 2HY- GD DI 105X

TaylorMade P770 3i MMT 125TX

TaylorMade P7MB- 4-PW MMT 125TX

TaylorMade MG4 54/60- MMT 125 TX

Phantom X 7.5/9.5

For me, I prefer to have the grips on all my clubs (except the putter) to be the same for the same consistent feel.  My grip of choice is the Lamkin Crossline (oversized).

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Last year they were all the same standard size +2 wraps under right hand.

Switched 3W shaft and it came with an Iomic - thought I’d be switching that out right away.

Switched driver shafts and it came with a TV midsize - thought I’d be switching that out right away.

New to me wedges came in with midsize and thought for sure I’d be switching those out too.

Yeah, they’re all still mixed.

I fade (or try to) my driver, draw my irons (sometimes too much). Wedge game is strong.  Think I might change all my irons to midsize next even though I only where a medium sized glove.  

That sorta-squishy Iomic on the 3W sure is different.  When it’s in my hand I’m thinkin’,  “Oh yeah, this is my 3W.  There are many 3Ws like it, but this one is mine!  My 3W is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my 3W is useless. Without my 3W, I am useless...”

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

I like the crossline midsize so I have that on everything. I have used midsize tour velvets when needed if crosslines were out of stock but switch them out for crosslines as soon as I can.

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

"Full" bag currently looks like this:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Titleist 818H1 25* Fuji Atmos Black 9s

Callaway Mavrik Pro 7-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

Callaway MD5 48*

Callway Jaws Raw 56*

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

Same grip across the board, but not all the same color MCC+4

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I am midsize across the board, but I have different grips by club type. 

Woods and hybrid: I like the z grip align mid-sized. Too firm for me on irons, but I like it on woods and hybrids to better feel strike location

Irons: MCC align mid sized 

Wedges: usually the plain MCC midsized, however, I am testing the MCC plus 4s this year to see if it feels more consistent when choking down.