Grips make a difference to you?

Vater

Do you have the same grips throughout your clubs or is it a mixed bag - especially because you're just playing whatever grip came on your woods/hybrids/wedges?

For those who make it consistent - is it consistent all the way across your woods and irons and wedges?

Separate question: How much of a difference do standard vs midsize - or like a plus4 - make for you or is it basically all the same to you?

Driver: TM SIM Max 10.5° Ventus Red

3 Wood: TM V Steel 15° Helium Black

5 Wood: TM M6 18° Atmos Orange

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 21° TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP1 24° Recoil 780

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 AMT Red

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48°, 54° Dynamic Gold

Lob Wedge: Vokey SM7 60° N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Posted (edited)

My grips are all undersized or ladies grip as I have very small hands.  My standard grip is a Winn Ladies Dri Tac for 580 shafts. 

Tape adds 30 mils, so when I blow grips onto 600 shafts, they end up being 10 mil smaller than usual.

I have 3 Odyssey putters.  A Juniors with an 85mm circumference, and old blade 2 Ball with a 91mm circumference, and a Indianapolis with a 95mm circumference. (50mm from the end).

The 2 ball blade feels best.  I immediately noticed the difference when I tried it out after using the Indy last season.

Edited by ShortGolfer

Yes, grips make a huge difference. There are plenty of grips have come on clubs I bought that had to be change out before I could hit a single decent shot with them.

And yes, I basically keep them the same on all my club except putter. Mine are all Tour Velvet or very similar styles and I check to make sure they are within give or take .010" (or .015" worst case) of being the same diameter at 2", 5" and 8" down from the butt of the grip. 

I'd play better with shafts that don't fits me and grips that do than the other way 'round. By far. 

• Like 1

All of my clubs with the exception of the putter have the same grips (Winn DriTacs).  They are very grippy in all weather and feel very comfortable to me.  I know they get knocked because of durability concerns but I have not had any issues yet.  

Driver:  Ping 425Max (Aldila Synergy)

3W&5W:  Mizuno ST-Z (Aldila Synergy)

7W Taylor Made Stealth (Aldila Ascent)

4H:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (Accra FX)

5-GW:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (SteelFiber i110)

52* Edel SMS C-Grind (Paderson Wedge Flex)

56*W Cleveland CBX (SteelFiber i110CW)

Bettinardi QB10

I generally mix it up, will have same on woods/hybrids, irons and then wedges something else.  I'll also build up my shorter irons a bit more if the set I'm using that day doesn't have plus4s on them. 

My sets all have various grips on them from Crossline cords to Z Cords to PLus4s and a few NDMC's in there as well.  Recently a fan of the TV Plus4s for some reason and try to only put TV 360s on my woods as I will adjust the shafts throughout the season on them.

Cobra LTDx (blue) 10.5* AV Raw Blue 65 TX

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour 14.5* AV Raw Blue 75 TX

Titleist TS3 19* AV Raw Blue 75X

Edel 4-PW Nippon SPB X

Edel 50/54/58 TI S400

Yes Abbie Forged

PV1X/TPX

They make a huge difference to me. It’s the connection point from self to tool, so arguably the most important item!

For me, the firmer the better. I don’t like Wynn, Iomic, et. al. Lamkin Crossline, oversize, +2 wraps on every club. Leather grips would be even better, but I’m not willing to spend the $. 

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8 deg
TEE E8 Beta 16.5 deg
Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood
TEE CB Pro 3h 21 deg
Titleist 735.CM 4-PW, S300
Titleist Vokey 54.14, 58.08
Dave Curry Big Oak custom center shaft
Custom Eliott carry bag, waxed canvas and leather

Posted (edited)

For me, grip makes a HUGE difference and I always underestimated it until about 2 years ago when i started to play a little more golf again. Bought a kit for installing grips myself and played around with various sizes, types and layers underneath.

While I wont tell you I feel the difference of 1 layer more or less without having two clubs directly next to each other, I defintely am most comfortable with a certain grip size.

Currently have Tour Velvet Ribbed (0.580 core) with 1+1 layers of tape underneath. Certainly more comfortable than the midsized grips I had last year but might go back to a +4 type of grip (larger low hand). If GP only made a +4 Tour Velvet with a rib...

Edited by Bunkersarebigcups

Full WITB thread

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 @ 8.75

Taylormade RocketBallz 3 15*

Taylormade RocketBallz Tour 3 Hybrid 18.5

Mizuno MP 52 4-PW

Mizuno MP T-11 52/07

Wilson Staff PMP Wedge 56/14

Mizuno MP T-11 60/05

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

2 minutes ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

Currently have Tour Velvet Ribbed (0.580 core) with 1+1 layers of tape underneath. Certainly more comfortable than the midsized grips I had last year but might go back to a +4 type of grip (larger low hand). If GP only made a +4 Tour Velvet with a rib...

There was a period in my life when one of the pros at my club could actually get ribbed grips on there straight and aligned the same on each club. I used Tour Velvet Ribbed .580 with no extra wraps and on a .600 butt steel shaft they were PERFECT. Man I liked those grips.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to install them straight myself and I don't know of anyone I'd trust to do it. That assistant pro has long since moved on to work in another industry, alas!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, North Butte said:

There was a period in my life when one of the pros at my club could actually get ribbed grips on there straight and aligned the same on each club. I used Tour Velvet Ribbed .580 with no extra wraps and on a .600 butt steel shaft they were PERFECT. Man I liked those grips.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to install them straight myself and I don't know of anyone I'd trust to do it. That assistant pro has long since moved on to work in another industry, alas!

Its a PITA for sure... It might be easier with the Calibrate grips from Lamkin, the have a nice neon line on the rib. But tbh, I managed to get them on pretty straight. Lots of Bramptons HF-100 on it and then align the "notches" on top of the grip.

Takes some practice and a grip might need a couple of minutes until I am happy but I get it done. And I do seriously HATE grips that arent perfect.

So give it a try! Ribbed grips are just the best, I dont know how people can play with round grips, my grip and face control would be all over the place.

Full WITB thread

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 @ 8.75

Taylormade RocketBallz 3 15*

Taylormade RocketBallz Tour 3 Hybrid 18.5

Mizuno MP 52 4-PW

Mizuno MP T-11 52/07

Wilson Staff PMP Wedge 56/14

Mizuno MP T-11 60/05

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

First off, I use leather grips because I like the tack in all weather conditions. as for grip styles, I use wrap style (TGM Classic Wrap Midsize) grips on my woods (because they are adjustable) and wedges (because I open them up for shots on occasions). All of my irons have stitchback grips (TGM Roo Midsize) because I just like them on my irons. I use Midsize grips because all my early golfing days, I felt like I had to grip the crap out of the club because they were so small.

Putters are gripped with large non-taper.

BT

Cobra Speedzone 9.5° HZRDUS Yellow 65 6.5 @ 46"
Cobra LTD Black 14.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
Cobra F6 16.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line Blk 33.5"

I play midsize Lamkins in my Driver down to my 9 iron with two wraps of tape under them.   My PW is still up for debate, but my GW, SW, and LW are all the X-Small Jumbomax.   I tried one on my driver and hated it, but love it in my wedges so far.

Clubs in great standing

• Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS - Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - UST Mamiya Black 79X
  • Util - Callaway Apex X Forged UTIL 21* - AD-DI 9X
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron, Srixon ZX7 (6-9)  - Recoil 110 F5
  • Wedges - Cleveland 46, 50*, 54*, & 60* Zipcore mid bounce - Recoil 110 F5
  • Putter -  Odyssey 5k Triple Wide - Stroke Lab | Mannkrafted MA/66 - UST Frequency Filter | LAB MEZZ.1  - BGT Stability

Clubs in good standing(fighting for one spot)....

• Callaway 19* U Wood  - UST Mamiya Black 79TX | 5 Wood - Taylormade Sim Max - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5 | Util - Srixon ZXU 18* -  Recoil 110 F5

Clubs that need a timeout/replacing

4 minutes ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

Its a PITA for sure... It might be easier with the Calibrate grips from Lamkin, the have a nice neon line on the rib. But tbh, I managed to get them on pretty straight. Lots of Bramptons HF-100 on it and then align the "notches" on top of the grip.

Takes some practice and a grip might need a couple of minutes until I am happy but I get it done. And I do seriously HATE grips that arent perfect.

So give it a try! Ribbed grips are just the best, I dont know how people can play with round grips, my grip and face control would be all over the place.

At least a couple of times each round I will set up to address the ball and realize I've gripped it with the face like ten degrees closed. So I have to back off and start my whole thing over again. 

I figure for every time I grip it that far wrong, there's probably 2-3 more times it was slightly off but not enough to notice. 

• Like 1

They make a massive difference and I have Iomic Sticky 2.3 with 3 x layers tape on every club except putter. 

Knowing that just have to towel dry the grip, even in a monsoon, fills you with the most confidence possible.

They’re nice and boring in plain black and cost less than anything Golf Pride except the TV’s which are barely good for 3 months use. That and they’re more slippery than the slope to financial ruin caused by reading these forums. 

Posted (edited)

JumboMax on all my clubs except putter, which is a DriTac jumbo, and for the same reason: they allow me to have 'softer' hands for less tension in the swing.

Edited by Billfitz

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Just need the size to be the same, doesn't matter if they're mixed up models.  Becomes a pain when shafts have slightly different ODs.

• Like 2

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

50 minutes ago, mshills said:

They make a huge difference to me. It’s the connection point from self to tool, so arguably the most important item!

For me, the firmer the better. I don’t like Wynn, Iomic, et. al. Lamkin Crossline, oversize, +2 wraps on every club. Leather grips would be even better, but I’m not willing to spend the $. 

Same grips for me driver through lob wedge, gripmaster kidd leather grips.  These weren't expensive at all buying them from GolfWorks.

Ping G30 10.5* driver

Ping G15 17* and 20* hybrids

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Thrive Anser

My driver and fairway wood both have Lamkin Crossline Cords on them.  My hybrids, irons and wedges go between the Crossline, Crossline Cords, and UTx grips (currently installed).  I'm going to end up putting the Crossline Cord grips on them in the next week or two.  Supply chain issues lead me back to the UTx grips, which I do like, but they don't last as long on my clubs I use the most compared to the Crossline Cords.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth Plus set 1 click lower- Diamana Limited D+ White 70s (Tour sleeve) or AV Raw Orange 65s (non tour sleeve)

Fairways & Hybrids: Callaway 17* UW (AV Raw Orange 75s...for now); 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid (VTS 103s),  23* Adams Super 9031 (DG s300)
Irons: 5-PW Srixon ZX7:  All shafted with DGTI s400
Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore Wedges (All Raw with DGTI s400 shafts) 48* bent to 49*, 52* Mid bent to 53*, 56* Mid bent to 58* 

Putter: White Hot OG 7s or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

I play all standard size grips. Normally I just play Tour Velvet's but my wedges have Lamkin Crosslines.  It doesn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would.

TaylorMade Stealth+ Rocket 3W- Ventus TR 8TX/Black 7X

TaylorMade Stealth+ 3W- Ventus Black 8TX/Red 9TX

TaylorMade SIM2 3HY- Ventus Black 10TX

TaylorMade P750- 4-PW DG TI X100

TaylorMade MG3 52/56/60- DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 9.5/11.5

For me, I prefer to have the grips on all my clubs (except the putter) to be the same for the same consistent feel.  My grip of choice is the Lamkin Crossline (oversized).

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Last year they were all the same standard size +2 wraps under right hand.

Switched 3W shaft and it came with an Iomic - thought I’d be switching that out right away.

Switched driver shafts and it came with a TV midsize - thought I’d be switching that out right away.

New to me wedges came in with midsize and thought for sure I’d be switching those out too.

Yeah, they’re all still mixed.

I fade (or try to) my driver, draw my irons (sometimes too much). Wedge game is strong.  Think I might change all my irons to midsize next even though I only where a medium sized glove.  

That sorta-squishy Iomic on the 3W sure is different.  When it’s in my hand I’m thinkin’,  “Oh yeah, this is my 3W.  There are many 3Ws like it, but this one is mine!  My 3W is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my 3W is useless. Without my 3W, I am useless...”

Driver G410LST w/Trono vs LTDx w/Ventus Blue TR
Fairway G425 3-wood Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/4”

Putter Ping Tyne C 34”

Ball TP5x/Snell MTB-x

I like the crossline midsize so I have that on everything. I have used midsize tour velvets when needed if crosslines were out of stock but switch them out for crosslines as soon as I can.

Cobra LTDX 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

Callaway Epic Speed 5W Project X HZRDUS Smoke iM10 70 6.0

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW - Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway JAWS MD5 54.10S & 60.12X - TT Dynamic Gold 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 2-Ball 

Callaway Chrome Soft

Same grip across the board, but not all the same color MCC+4

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

3 Iron: Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil 95

Irons (5-PW): Srixon 765 w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 120

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Black, 60º Hand Ground Tour Issue Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I am midsize across the board, but I have different grips by club type. 

Woods and hybrid: I like the z grip align mid-sized. Too firm for me on irons, but I like it on woods and hybrids to better feel strike location

Irons: MCC align mid sized 

Wedges: usually the plain MCC midsized, however, I am testing the MCC plus 4s this year to see if it feels more consistent when choking down.