Best affordable hall for a beginner?

Gdub17

Posted (edited)

My 14 year old son got his own set of clubs this Christmas. He likes the game and I’m trying to teach him. When I started playing at 14 there was no YouTube or internet. I learned to play by watching pro tournaments and teaching myself. Don’t laugh. I bought some top flite xl’s for his first 9 hole round because I figured we’d lose a bunch of balls but we ended losing only one on his very first 9 hole round. He didn’t miss a fairway off the tee except for a par 3 so I’d like to buy some slightly better balls for us to use. Money is an object so nothing crazy expensive. What ball do you guys recommend? whats hilarious is I used the exact same balls I bought for him when I started playing 23 years ago. lol

Edited by Gdub17
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gdub17 said:

I was going to make a joke about not playing Costco balls. I don’t have a membership so can you purchase them anywhere else?

I've got some spares. Plus various other quality (new) balls in my spares' locker.  If you want to work a deal and see how many we can fit into a USPS Medium Flat Rate box, drop me a PM.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Cobra F7 4 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black
Cobra F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage
Ping G30 irons w/DG Lite
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Anser - the "real deal!"

I'm a big fan of the Cut family of balls. If you want tour level they have the grey and blue for $20/dozen. Only downside is they can scuff easier than others. The grey seems better than the blue for that, and it seems like they have improved the durability. Straight up value, the Cut red is a good ball imo, can get 24 for $20 at Walmart. I also have a soft spot for the noodle.

If you don't mind used, than going on the bay and looking for high quality used balls seems like a good buy. Another thing is going somewhere on course that's a magnet for errant shots and doing some ball hunting. I would only do that if you were the last group on the course, or just grabbing a couple that look good if you're looking for yours in one of those areas.

2 hours ago, Gdub17 said:

I was going to make a joke about not playing Costco balls. I don’t have a membership so can you purchase them anywhere else?

You can buy them online without a membership. I think it's slightly more expensive but still a great value.

At 14 (my son is the same age) and a novice there's not a lot of chance the added spin on the Costco ball will be a detriment. It'll probably be a benefit.

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 699 Pro 3 Utility w/ Recoil 680 F4

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

I have to imagine that a 14 year old kid who is new to golfing would have a swing speed that is lower.  I second the recommendation for Noodles.  You can get 24 for $24 at Walmart.  Low compression, softer ball should play to the kid's lower swing speed well, and at that price he can play with confidence and not worry about losing a ball or 6 each round.  Other options to look at for the same reasons, lower compression, softer ball would be Wilson Staff 50 Elite for about $15/dozen or Precept Laddies at $18 for 2 dozen, also can be picked up at Walmart.

Don't want to argue about it but not sure I'd recommend a premium, higher compression, urethane cover ball for a 14 year old, new golfer.  If you do want a multi-piece, urethane ball the Cut Grey recommendation earlier is a pretty good one.  80 compression, 3 piece, urethane ball that you can get off Amazon for $20/dozen w/free Prime shipping. 

I've been playing the Cut Grey lately and I think it's a pretty solid ball and I've had no durability issues like have been brought up online.  Most of those reviews are pre-2019 and about the Cut Blue ball (4 piece, 90 compression).  Cut revamped the Blue line in 2019 and the Grey line is separate and I believe the durability issues have been addressed though the stigma lives on (and the name doesn't help with that!).

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 10.5* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 5.5

4W - Callaway Mavrik 16.5* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 5.5

7W - Callaway Mavrik 21* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 5.5

4H - Callaway Mavrik Pro 23* - KBS Tour Hybrid 75 R

4-GW - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged - TT Dynamic Gold R300

SW - Vokey SM8 Chrome 56* 12D - TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter - Odyssey White Hot 6

Ball - Cut Grey

Used balls is a good option but stick to at least 4A. The Wilson 50/50 is also a good inexpensive ball.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

3W- Adam’s Tight Lies

3H- Cobra F8

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

7 hours ago, Augie53 said:

I have to imagine that a 14 year old kid who is new to golfing would have a swing speed that is lower.  I second the recommendation for Noodles.  You can get 24 for $24 at Walmart.  Low compression, softer ball should play to the kid's lower swing speed well, and at that price he can play with confidence and not worry about losing a ball or 6 each round.  Other options to look at for the same reasons, lower compression, softer ball would be Wilson Staff 50 Elite for about $15/dozen or Precept Laddies at $18 for 2 dozen, also can be picked up at Walmart.

Eh... Agree that a 14yo novice is probably a low speed player. With a slower swing speed he might need spin to keep the ball in the air, and might need the spin to hold greens. The MGS test basically showed that higher compression is longer for all players, and that soft doesn't spin. Seems like low compression is the worst of both worlds for him. I can tell you that my son is not ripping the ball back on greens with any ball lol. 

One caveat... I'm convinced based purely on anecdotal data (my experience) that the Kirkland curved more than the Snell MTB-X. Now, I'm not going to say this is entirely scientific, as I switched during a time that I was actively working on swing changes too. There's a debate in them thar' hills about whether lower spin curves more or less--some say that low spin curves less because the spin rate is lower, some say that it curves more because a lower spin ball has a more tilted spin axis. I believe the former. 

So a ball like the Kirkland that is crazy spinny COULD lead to worse offline misses for a player fighting slices or hooks. 

But other than that, I think the spin is nothing but a good thing for a low-speed player. 

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 699 Pro 3 Utility w/ Recoil 680 F4

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

On 5/23/2022 at 10:04 PM, Gdub17 said:

I know when the first version Costco ball came out you could order them online without an account.  Just go to costco.com and see if you can complete the order.  

Posted (edited)

Soft Feel. I prefer yellow. The ball feels good and goes straight. As a beginner, I don't think he has to worry about the non-urethane vs urethane debate. If cost is an issue, these balls are very cheap on any used ball site like lostgolfballs.com. There's probably a lot of deals for Memorial Day this weekend.

https://www.lostgolfballs.com/srixon-soft-feel.html

https://www.lostgolfballs.com/48-srixon-soft-feel-bucket.html

Edited by Tanner25

I prefer the Hall of Justice ... although Monte Hall is OK if I'm in the right mood.

Driver: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5*

4I: Cleveland Launcher UHX, 20*
5I-GW: Titleist 718 AP1, 24*-48*
SW: Ping Glide 2.0 ES, 56*

LW: TaylorMade Tour Preferred ATV, 60*
Putter: Flanigan Designed By 35"
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag: Ping Mascot

On 5/23/2022 at 7:11 PM, SE Gamer said:

Maxfli Tour or Tour X. You can get 4 dozen for around $100. Every bit as good as a Pro V at half the price. I've been playing the X version and have been super happy with it.

I was going to suggest these. I've not played them myself but if you are looking for a good quality urethane cover ball I don't think you are going to find a better value, except the Costco balls. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 10:11 PM, SE Gamer said:

Maxfli Tour or Tour X. You can get 4 dozen for around $100. Every bit as good as a Pro V at half the price. I've been playing the X version and have been super happy with it.

Even at $25 a dozen, I'd not call that an "affordable" ball for a beginner.  Most of the other balls being suggested are WELL under $20 a dozen, many in the $12 - $15 range.  I'm not a beginner and it would still pain me to lose $2 a ball.

As I said above, I think the best value currently (and I'm a cheapskate so have done my research) is the Kirkland or Top Flite Hammer.  You can get some used balls for about the same price, but even they tend to be a bit more costly, and I'd rather have the reliability of the same ball every time, not one that might be 3 years old or sitting in water for months.  I want to be sure that any error is caused by me and not some variation in the ball.

Sto Pro Veritate

Titleist Velocity

16 y/o 2 HCP

Taylormade Sim 2 Max 9° - LA Golf Bryson Signature Series 65g Shaft 

Taylormade Sim Max 3 Wood - Mitsubishi Diamana FW Limited 75 X Flex

Callaway Mavrik 4 Hybrid - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Orange 65 X Flex

Mizuno MP20 4i-P  - Dynamic Gold S300

Titleist SM8 52, 55, 58 (54 degree bent 1 degree flat) - LA Golf L-Series Shaft

Black Lab BL - 1 

Sun Mountain Metro Stand Bag and Bushnell Pro X-E 

23 minutes ago, Girevik said:

Even at $25 a dozen, I'd not call that an "affordable" ball for a beginner.  Most of the other balls being suggested are WELL under $20 a dozen, many in the $12 - $15 range.  I'm not a beginner and it would still pain me to lose $2 a ball.

As I said above, I think the best value currently (and I'm a cheapskate so have done my research) is the Kirkland or Top Flite Hammer.  You can get some used balls for about the same price, but even they tend to be a bit more costly, and I'd rather have the reliability of the same ball every time, not one that might be 3 years old or sitting in water for months.  I want to be sure that any error is caused by me and not some variation in the ball.

I see your point. Personally, when I think "best", my mind goes to performance per dollar. Which is why I landed on the Maxfli Tour models. I don't disagree with your alternatives. Might even look at some of Maxfli's entry level offerings. 

I absolutely agree that new beats going used. 

1 hour ago, SE Gamer said:

I see your point. Personally, when I think "best", my mind goes to performance per dollar. Which is why I landed on the Maxfli Tour models.

Even that being the case, it would have to perform twice as well as well as the Kirkland to qualify.  I'm not really sure how you'd quantify that, but it would take some pretty serious evidence to convince me that those are worth twice the money (or more).  I guess it boils down to how many you lose a round.  If you lose one per round and lowers your score a few strokes, maybe it's worth it.  But if you lose 3 or 4 per round (or per 9), how much "better" would it have to be to justify the extra cost?

I'm assuming that a beginner will lose more than his fair share of balls, so cost plays a much larger factor that for someone who can keep a ball in play for an entire round.

Sto Pro Veritate

I think of this question as not only performance per dollar but using the context that a lot of balls will be lost by a newer golfer.  In that context you want to get the best ball you can at the cheapest price point possible. 

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 10.5* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 5.5

4W - Callaway Mavrik 16.5* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 5.5

7W - Callaway Mavrik 21* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 5.5

4H - Callaway Mavrik Pro 23* - KBS Tour Hybrid 75 R

4-GW - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged - TT Dynamic Gold R300

SW - Vokey SM8 Chrome 56* 12D - TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter - Odyssey White Hot 6

Ball - Cut Grey