Club Fitters in the Valley

AZ_JHWK

Looking to get a new set of irons and haven't been fit for quite some time. Not necessarily looking to buy from said fitter, just need a few names to get started. I did a search in previous threads and felt like some of the info was dated.  I'm open to any brand.  Any thoughts will be appreciated.

• 7 months later...
4 minutes ago, R_Swanson said:

Hey guys, older thread but figured I'd bump it. 

I want to get fitted for a new set of irons, and maybe a driver while I'm at it.  Any more suggestions for local fitters? 

2nd Swing was just offering fitting free if you purchased through them - have never heard good or bad about them.

Edited by puttnforthe8

34 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

2nd Swing was just offering fitting free if you purchased through them - have never heard good or bad about them.

Rummaging through some old threads I see PGA SS and True Spec recommended semi often around here, but obviously it depends on who does the fitting.  I see you recommend Hornacecks, I've never even been there, I should check them out. 

I ended up at All About Golf in Tempe. Not a big box store or a chain, just a local guy that has his own store. Todd is a club fitter for all of the major brands.  I looked at Ping, PXG, Titleist, Mizuno, Srixon and Callaway. Got a driver from him 2 years ago and irons last summer.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, R_Swanson said:

Rummaging through some old threads I see PGA SS and True Spec recommended semi often around here, but obviously it depends on who does the fitting.  I see you recommend Hornacecks, I've never even been there, I should check them out. 

I just did True Spec (got as a gift) and I, personally, 100% do not recommend!  The guy insulted me, refused to let me try the clubs I wanted (told me I can't hit them), then in the end recommended clubs - of course/conveniently - only True Spec can get.  Additionally, when I got my data, it turns out the driver he recommended had good dispersion, but was a left magnet.  

On 1/28/2023 at 5:58 PM, AZ_JHWK said:

I ended up at All About Golf in Tempe. Not a big box store or a chain, just a local guy that has his own store. Todd is a club fitter for all of the major brands.  I looked at Ping, PXG, Titleist, Mizuno, Srixon and Callaway. Got a driver from him 2 years ago and irons last summer.  

Todd is a great guy, will actually take the time you need, and not trying to push a specific brand. I got fitted for a driver this summer and enjoyed the process.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, azgolfer44 said:

Todd is a great guy, will actually take the time you need, and not trying to push a specific brand. I got fitted for a driver this summer and enjoyed the process.  

How much was the fitting?  Looks like I have to go elsewhere now to get refit.

16 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

How much was the fitting?  Looks like I have to go elsewhere now to get refit.

Not sure what he charges but I want to say he asked my friend for a $50 or $100 deposit when he wanted to do a shaft fitting. Obviously if you purchase he took that out of the purchase. He was very helpful and not pushy and doesn't try to sell you something just to sell you. When I went he recommended I buy a used driver vs a brand new driver. That to me showed he is in it for the best of the client over just a sale. I would give him a call at the shop and schedule the fitting. He actually stayed open after closing hours to do the fitting.

• Like 2

Recently did a driver fitting at Second Swing (Talking Stick) with Robert Wample. Kind of rolled in blind but was actually very pleasantly surprised with how well the whole process went. Wouldn't hesitate to send someone up to see Robert although can't speak for iron fittings there. 

Longer post, sorry.

I stopped by the Shea PGA SS on Sunday, and I stopped by All About Golf and 2nd Swing yesterday - just wanted to talk over the process with each of them and ensure they had all the club/shaft combo's. 

All About Golf is an old-school, independently owned shop.  Clubs strewn everywhere.  I am not saying this is a bad thing, I grew up working at a shop like this so it was nostalgic for me - but its obviously much different than the other places I've checked out around here.  I didn't get a lot of info from Todd -  I asked if their simulator displayed clubhead info and he didn't really answer, so I assume they don't.  They do carry every brand I care about but I couldn't get a straight answer if they have every club/shaft combo for each manufacturer and have all the new irons in yet, etc.  Todd seemed like a nice guy though.

The new 2nd Swing is really nice - 10000x nicer than their old location.  8+ bays for trying out clubs and another 8 for actual fitting.  I spoke to the GM, even though they had some fitters sitting around, they are inside their own area so I couldn't really talk to them.  He also wouldn't answer directly if they have all the new irons and shaft combos, he was vague, mentioned all the brands they carry and said they had "high end shafts" - and then mentioned the Ventus and Tour AD's.  He mentioned they use Trackman's.

PGA SS on Shea has their big fitting area (Studio), its also very nice.  The guy that does the fittings was sitting in there without any customers, but again I couldn't seem to talk to him (guess that's a trend, lol).  The guy on the floor I talked to said they have pretty much every iron and driver shaft out there, and every new head available.   They use Trackman's.

PGA SS does not credit your money anymore if you get a fitting, its a fixed cost.  2nd Swing and All About Golf do credit your money if you buy a club from them after your fitting.  All About Golf was 50-100 per fitting.  PGA SS is 100.  2nd Swing is 200.

To be honest I am not sure where I am going to go yet.  I actually am leaning towards getting a couple fittings and then buying from whoever I like the best, and considering the other fittings I pay for to be sunken costs so I can figure out a place/fitter I like.  Also I am going to wait until after the SB.  There's way too many snowbirds/tourists around right now.  I went into 2nd Swing on a Mon morning half an hr after they opened and the place was packed.

Edited by R_Swanson
  • Thanks 1