Unpopular opinion: Pro caddies are extremely overrated

4thand11

21 minutes ago, rizzo66 said:

I'm glad you took the time to answer these comments that come from who knows where. Just like every profession there are people that are overpaid and people who are underpaid but to say that caddies don't make a difference for a player is coming from a lack of knowledge of the pro ranks.  I have caddied for a LPGA player ( only on futures tour got bounced when she made the big tour 🙂 ) I know well and a Mini tour player.  I felt i was valuable, for I knew their swings and could spot something quickly if they got off kilter. I know for a fact I saved them a stroke or 2 each time I caddied, but the biggest thing is they were not alone out there. Being on tour is one of the loneliest places , for there are no teammates only competitors.  Other players don't care if you are playing bad or got a bad break. You take a double and everybody in the field wishes it was a triple. Most pros are sharing trainers , swing coaches , psychologists and agents with other pros only the top players have a real team with their own support staff. The caddie, significant other and parents are the only people on their team. That caddie is more than someone giving yardages and maybe helping them pull the right club or see some wind where the player does not. They are a confidant , friend , amateur psychologist , whipping post, lightning rod and much more than a pack mule. A number of people have brought up examples of top players with what they consider amateur caddies. Steve Stricker's name keeps popping up for his wife Nicki knows more about golf than 90% of the people on this board. Lastly the weeks that I caddied for the 2 mentioned earlier I was never so friggin tired at weeks end than I was then. Its a 12 hour day away from home which is draining. All this being said IMHO caddies are a vital part  of a players success when they find the right one.

Agree 100%.....

"caddies are a vital part  of a players success when they find the right one."

And when they do find the right one the player holds on to them for twenty years ......or so.

Trevino always said that a touring pro can go blank out there in the heat of the battle and that's where the caddy comes in......

People need to watch Caddyshack or Tin Cup.....LOL!

• Like 2

And Stephen Ames has the whitest teeth on the Champions Tour 🙂

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, 2putttom said:

my moto is: better to have one and not need it, then to need one and not have it. 

Flat Eric Motorcycle GIF

Edited by ChipStrokes
  • Like 2

Ping G425 LST 9º | Fujikura Ventus Black 7TX

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist U500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Sik DW | BGT Stability Tour

On 5/26/2022 at 3:55 AM, Ferguson said:

That's not the case at all.  I think this thread is about "questioning" the value the caddie brings to the player, not the value of the caddie's job compared to other workers.  

Bottom line - does a guy like Bones or Greller add any value to a player's ability to make shots or is the caddie role simply a necessity and therefore overrated?  

BTW:  There are plenty of hard-working guys around here such as the guy that works in the foundry or the cell tower climber or the abalone diver.   Stop being so sensitive. 

Swing and a miss on this thread, bud.

Although, I do appreciate some knee jerk ad hominem.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Blaiser said:

Swing and a miss on this thread, bud.

Although, I do appreciate some knee jerk ad hominem.

I'm surprised this thread generated such heated responses.  I suppose if I posted in a real estate thread that real estate agents are overrated (also true!), it would generate similar responses.

At any rate I was not looking to rag on caddies.  I'm sure they work hard, and I'm sure players appreciate them, and I'm sure some are better than others (same can be said for real estate agents).  None of which means (as I've said many times)... that they cannot ALSO be overrated.  They do not hit the ball.  They do not chip the ball, or putt the ball, or hit out of bunkers, or do any of the other things that generally lead to how well a golfer performs. 

They may have marginal value in the sense that having a good rapport with a work colleague is helpful in any profession.  Still (again), does not mean they cannot be overrated.

Edited by 4thand11

5 hours ago, 4thand11 said:

At any rate I was not looking to rag on caddies.  I'm sure they work hard, and I'm sure players appreciate them, 

None of which means (as I've said many times)... that they cannot ALSO be overrated.  They do not hit the ball.... or do any of the other things that generally lead to how well a golfer performs. 

They may have marginal value in the sense that having a good rapport with a work colleague is helpful in any profession.  

And you've missed 2 of the biggest reasons why caddies are essential. 

Caddies are outside the player and read how player is actually hitting and responding to the stress/conditions. Pick Club and strategy/aim/distances on hole. 

Almost ALL tournaments don't start until the pressure mounts and players start gripping extra firm and breathing differently on Sunday & the back nine. 

When the player isn't thinking right the caddie is. The Q is if the player will listen to the caddy in the heat of action. 

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

On 5/26/2022 at 5:39 PM, TiScape said:

1st of all, sincerely happy to be considered your pal. 2nd, based on your takes regarding TW, your posts have ZERO credibility. Sorry  🤷🏼‍♂️ 

I will agree with you that some are more competent than others, bad ones get replaced in good organizations that are dedicated to excellence. Brilliant and obvious take 🙄 

You have zero credibility and you're not my pal, but back on topic. Few organizations are dedicated to excellence, but golfers are forced to re-evaluate their approach every week because failure is very obvious. The topic was about pro caddies and how they don't make much difference, and that's the truth because they are all on similar skill level. It's not that they provide no value, it's that there is not much room for differentiation at the top. So if you have a problem with that then maybe you are posting in the wrong thread or forum, go take it up with someone else.

Man, give me the oldest caddy who has been with the course the longest amount of time and I am good to go. 

On the greens these folk tell me where to hit and my 3 putts disappear to 1 or 2 when i find the mark. 

That is good enough for me as well as their finding my errant shots while positioned up the fairway in rough or trees.

Epic Flash Driver 12deg Project X Even Flow 40

Epic Flash 3 wood 15deg Project X Even Flow 60

Epic Flash 5 wood 18deg Project X Even Flow 55

Epic Flash 7 wood 21deg Project X Even Flow 65

Epic Flash 5 hybrid 24 deg Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver

2019 Big Bertha OS irons 5-pw UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 460|F2

Equalizer II 52deg UST Recoil 760-F2/A-Flex

Sure Out 2 56deg UST Mamiya Wedge 65

Meridian Okatie putter

I played with a caddie, once.  My company was paying for us to play at a super high-end course, and our group was assigned a caddie.  Great guy, ex-PGA caddie, now made more money caddying for tourists such as ourselves.  He spent a lot of time with me, noticing my swing inconsistencies, telling me where and how to hit putts, and giving me the lay of the land on each hole.  He also kept the mood light.  When I was in 3" deep rough, he told me how to hit the 5-iron to clear it out of that stuff.  I was able to get that 5-iron onto the green from 195.  

Result? On a course I have never played before, I shot a 77, which is a handicap score of 2.4.  I am a 7.7 cap at the moment and have never been that low in a round before, or since (handicap-wise).  

Sure, it is one data point, but I sank 3 birdies that day, and 2 of them would not have gone in if I hadn't had the local expert line on the putt. Just think what 2 strokes is worth to a pro, even if it is over a 4 day event instead of one?  

I am a player who can get tight and prefer that in tournaments, I have something to distract myself with.  I was a full D1 scholarship athlete in college (different sport though) and realized early on that sitting around, waiting for my even is NOT good for me. I need to be relaxed and my mind elsewhere until about 10 seconds before I step up to the ball.  The right caddie or playing partner helps with that.  Even the last Wednesday night event I played (9-holes): my partner (who is super relaxed) and I played alternate ball and shot a 36 on a tough course and won. We have a combined average cap of 12.5, so a 36 is pretty unlikely.  Being loose and relaxed definitely helped!  

Others may feel differently, but if I were a pro, I would find the best caddie I could, one who could relate the course to me and also be a good friend in time of need. 

On 5/29/2022 at 11:09 AM, Titleist99 said:

Agree 100%.....

"caddies are a vital part  of a players success when they find the right one."

And when they do find the right one the player holds on to them for twenty years ......or so.

Trevino always said that a touring pro can go blank out there in the heat of the battle and that's where the caddy comes in......

People need to watch Caddyshack or Tin Cup.....LOL!

Greedy guys should get rid of that 10%,,,,,,,(sacasm)