TPC Deere Run, Ruffled Feathers, Ridgemoor

TUGolfer06

I will be in Chicago in two weeks for meetings and am trying to line up some golf. I'm already committed to driving out to TPC Deere Run one day which I am rather stoked about. I've heard nothing but good things about the layout (especially before the Tour event) and the price, relatively speaking, seems extremely fair.

Since I went to DePaul for grad school and Ruffled Feathers is the Blue Demons home course I feel compelled to give it a shot. Any info about it? Is it worth it or should I ignore my DePaul loyalty and play somewhere else? 

I also have significant ties to Ridgmoor (my home club did a Ryder Club match with their pro and members last fall) so there's a good chance if I felt inclined to play there. Is it worth it? I'm a laid back guy who does not like stuffy, "unwelcoming" private clubs. With that said, my interactions with their members and head pro were extremely positive last fall.

Home Courses
- Country Club of Scranton
- Seven Oaks GC at Colgate University

RF not the worst course in the area, but it does have some issues. Personally I'd take a pass on it. There are much better options in the area, including Dubsdread and Mistwood.

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Ridgemoor is a fine club. You will find it to be well maintained, there are a few very good holes out there, and also a couple I really do not like. I would not classify the club or their membership as stuffy at all. That said, every time I play it I am reminded just how hemmed in the course is by the surrounding neighborhood. It's a bit claustrophobic in places and they have certainly used all available room for lengthening the course. It's a shame they don't have more space, but that's the reality of being in the city. 

If Ridgemoor vs. Ruffled Feathers, I'd play Ridgemoor no question. But you can probably have a more interesting golf experience somewhere else. 

BTW I see Seven Oaks in your signature - that place is great!

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08 @51
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 57*
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

• 2 weeks later...

I would pass on Ruffled.  It's Arcis owned, course conditions from reviews over the last year range from awful to just okay.  The layout is not great, it's squeezed in a residential area and you can feel that on a lot of holes, especially the back 9 where they had to do some dumb things to make the holes work.   They call it a Pete Dye design, but it's designed by his son, they just use Pete's name to sell it.

The advice I always give to out of town people coming to Chicago, assuming you have not played Dubsdread, play it.  Yeah it's over priced, but so is every other course in the Chicago area.  Dubs is really the only public course that has held a PGA event, and probably the only public course that could still hold a PGA event in terms of grounds and capacity.  It's a cool layout on a unique peice of land that will beat you up in the best way possible.  It would make a good pairing with the other PGA course you're playing.  I personally always enjoy playing the same courses a tour event is or has been at, it's fun to see how our games compare and look at where they can play from (and light it up) vs where we have to play from and struggle. 

• Like 3

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

I would pass on Ruffled.  It's Arcis owned, course conditions from reviews over the last year range from awful to just okay.  The layout is not great, it's squeezed in a residential area and you can feel that on a lot of holes, especially the back 9 where they had to do some dumb things to make the holes work.   They call it a Pete Dye design, but it's designed by his son, they just use Pete's name to sell it.

The advice I always give to out of town people coming to Chicago, assuming you have not played Dubsdread, play it.  Yeah it's over priced, but so is every other course in the Chicago area.  Dubs is really the only public course that has held a PGA event, and probably the only public course that could still hold a PGA event in terms of grounds and capacity.  It's a cool layout on a unique peice of land that will beat you up in the best way possible.  It would make a good pairing with the other PGA course you're playing.  I personally always enjoy playing the same courses a tour event is or has been at, it's fun to see how our games compare and look at where they can play from (and light it up) vs where we have to play from and struggle. 

I'm not sure Dubs is all that overpriced anymore, especially on a weekend.

For example, this Sunday you can play Dubs for $161 at 9:00 a.m. Down I-55 a bit, you can play Whitetail Ridge on Sunday at 8:51 a.m. for $114. Across the street, RF is charging $99.99 for their 9:12 a.m. time. In this example, there's a couple of vastly overpriced courses, but it ain't Dubs.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

1 minute ago, TheBear95 said:

I'm not sure Dubs is all that overpriced anymore, especially on a weekend.

For example, this Sunday you can play Dubs for $161 at 9:00 a.m. Down I-55 a bit, you can play Whitetail Ridge on Sunday at 8:51 a.m. for $114. Across the street, RF is charging $99.99 for their 9:12 a.m. time. In this example, there's a couple of vastly overpriced courses, but it ain't Dubs.

I guess I'm just used to everybody calling everything around here over priced!

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Thank you for the feedback! 

I have a mid-afternoon round setup on Thursday at TPC Deere Run. The tee sheet is wide open so I should get to relax and take in the course! 

As for Friday, Ridgemoor has a club related event and while an invention was open I like to "lay low" so I opted to decline the invite this time. I travel to Chicago a decent amount so there will be another time. 

As things presently stand, I will seek an alternative to Ruffled Feathers. Cantigny, Prairie Landing, Thunderhawk, Stonewall Orchard seem to be good options for Friday....

• Like 1

Home Courses

Thuderhawk is great, and so is Cantigny. If money is no factor (doesn't seem like it based on Dubsdread being in the conversation) I'd play Bolingbrook or Mistwood over Ruffled Feathers. In my opinion, RF has like 3 good holes and the rest are horrible. They also pump out the Corporate Outings and that almost always mean the greens get beat up by people not fixing ball marks. 

I like TPC Deere Run a lot, but there's a disclaimer on their website about a bunker renovation project starting in August 2021. I'd assume that's done by now, but may be worth a double check before you drive a few hours out that way. 

• Like 2

Is the Irish Course at Whistling Straits worth $190 for a Friday late afternoon (4 PM) twilight rate? When I checked out the Straits course the $630 price tag resulted in legit sticker shock and the need to look again to affirm what I saw. I was expecting something in the $300-$350 range... 

Home Courses

9 hours ago, CRDuffy21 said:

Thuderhawk is great, and so is Cantigny. If money is no factor (doesn't seem like it based on Dubsdread being in the conversation) I'd play Bolingbrook or Mistwood over Ruffled Feathers. In my opinion, RF has like 3 good holes and the rest are horrible. They also pump out the Corporate Outings and that almost always mean the greens get beat up by people not fixing ball marks. 

I like TPC Deere Run a lot, but there's a disclaimer on their website about a bunker renovation project starting in August 2021. I'd assume that's done by now, but may be worth a double check before you drive a few hours out that way. 

With the John Deere coming up in a few weeks I have to think the course will be in excellent shape. Getting to play it with some of the grandstands, corporate suites, signage either in place or being put together should add to the experience! 

• Like 1

Home Courses

9 hours ago, TUGolfer06 said:

Is the Irish Course at Whistling Straits worth $190 for a Friday late afternoon (4 PM) twilight rate? When I checked out the Straits course the $630 price tag resulted in legit sticker shock and the need to look again to affirm what I saw. I was expecting something in the $300-$350 range... 

Yes, I'd say Irish is worth the $190. It would be better at $100, but I'd pony up $190. I played it for $75 in the late fall if I recall correctly. We started the back nine in a freezing rain. I'd love to get back on the course in the summer.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

14 hours ago, TUGolfer06 said:

for sure worth it, the course is a ton of fun. There are a few weak holes, but overall it is very good.

1) TPC Deer Run has an all day rate, definitely worth waking up early or getting a local hotel the night before. 
2) Skip Ruffled Feathers. Is SW burbs Dubs is excellent, Mistwood is fun. I prefer Prairie Landing over Cantigny, and will 100% play Stinewall Orchard over Thunderhawk. 
3) I’m a Ridgemoor fan and have a few friends who’re members. I’m lucky enough to get out once or twice a season. It’s a tight old school layout in a Chicago neighborhood. Everyone I’ve met and played with have been a pleasure. Be warned, all the bartenders, especially at the halfway house, have a heavy hand. 

Played TPC Deere Run and Thunderhawk (pics on the main thread)

TPC Deere Run - I thought it was a fantastic layout! The elevation changes, variation of holes as well as near perfect conditions made this one of the most enjoyable rounds I've had in some time. It's a shame the tournament's history as a second-class citizen in the middle of the summer gives the course itself a bit of an undeserving stigma. I've played probably 250-300 different courses including numerous elite ones and TPC Deere Run holds its own imo. The only tough part was as a single and being cart path only I was tired as hell after 18 since I was always on the move....

Thunderhawk - I snuck in a twilight round on Friday the 10th which was a great decision given how empty the course was. The course was well kept and the facilities as a whole were excellent. However, outside of the par 3s and a memorable short 4 I found the course rather bland overall. It is quite scenic however since it meanders through a nature preserve a couple of miles from the shores of Lake Michigan. As it is, I will definitely try some of the other Chicago tracks before I circle back to Thunderhawk. 

Edited by TUGolfer06
  • Like 2

Home Courses