2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New to the Ping G425 Driver and I'm just honestly impressed.

taylormade113

Back story. I have had the Ping G in the bag for at least 3, maybe 4 seasons and it kept its place due to just being boringly repeatable. I hit longer drivers over that time, but nothing that I felt could translate into real world gains as opposed to GCquad gains. So it stayed. Plus, the Pings just fit my eye. The G sat perfect for me and and I felt I could hit it straightish and also hit my go to cut that were both very repeatable. So nothing changed. 

Last week I stroll in to my local shop and there was a G425 in the used bin, brand new with a Tensi Raw Orange shaft. Dotted it up and had to hit it. My first time with the shaft and I was instantly in love with the feel of the Orange, and the head sat and fit my eye even better than the G. Numbers were just as solid and this time consistent gains. Not 20, but a solid 10 of carry, without being scary low spin. I heard people speaking to it's sound, but I have actually enjoyed the feel and sound. Coming from the G, it honestly just sounds more powerful. Also, it was honestly easier than the G to get the same numbers over and over. Only problem was the price tag. Talked to a friend in the shop and he worked some magic and for my G, and old 2 Ball and 100$ we had a new driver. 

I have now had it on the course and it has honestly been a revelation. Just easy.  And that's what I want. I don't want to have to work for it, launch, carry shape...I am looking to simplify and this does it. I have had more than one swing where I looked up and expected a low spin, hook left and it was just down the left side. I can tell the more I play it, my gains are increasing via trust. Meaning I am willing to just let my hands go instead of "trying", which is fun. The driver has always been the club that shapes my round and now I feel like that part is honestly settled. 

Just my take. I honestly don't see this stick leaving until there is a change in COR rules, lol. 

Share you long term takes with me, I would love to hear how the G425 is still holding it's place in your bag. 

Kris

• Like 4

I hitt it during my fitting a few months ago. I hit the LST. I didn’t like the way it sat behind the ball, but I could have adjusted to that over time. 

The thing that got me was that noise it made. It sounded like a cat knocked over a garbage can in the alley at half past midnight. It felt okay though. 

Every time someone at  the range hits one, I immediately know what they hit. It was a PBR on a stick.

Edited by SollyinGA

I recently grabbed a G425 Max head used for a great price and really found the same thing. I paired it with a Graphite Design Tour AD VR 6X playing at 45.25” at about D4.25-D4.5ish. 

It’s great. It’s so, so easy to hit straight. The VR is slightly counterbalanced and is a profile that works for me, and putting that shaft in was the key to getting this head to work for me.

Am I giving up a few yards? Yeah, probably. But it’s SO easy to hit.

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

I have both the 425 max and LST head and I just don’t see what the big deal is with the sound. It sounds no different to me than any other well hit driver personally. But wow are they easy to hit. I’m favoring the LST head right now. Longest drives I’ve had in 5+ years. I do seem to get an additional 10 yards with it over the max but the max was as long for me as an F9 and a Radspeed. Same AD DI 6s shaft in all of them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, heathpitts said:

I have both the 425 max and LST head and I just don’t see what the big deal is with the sound. It sounds no different to me than any other well hit driver personally. But wow are they easy to hit. I’m favoring the LST head right now. Longest drives I’ve had in 5+ years. I do seem to get an additional 10 yards with it over the max but the max was as long for me as an F9 and a Radspeed. Same AD DI 6s shaft in all of them. 

The sound is less of a big deal at low speeds but multiplies 10fold if you bring a bit of speed. it is gives off a high pitch TING! That gets ridiculously more obnoxious the higher speed you bring.

but I play one, with 7g of hot melt, which will fix the sound on just about anything. 

• Like 2

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

About half of the ping heads I’ve seen actually had some melt in the head without them even knowing it. Yours may have had some added. I bought a head that was still in plastic that had about 6g in it, not even mentioned on the sheet from ping. 

Edited by Rosco1216
  • Like 1

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Piretti Savona 

I played a Ping G10 Driver and a Ping K15 Driver for the past 10 years and hit both of them around 220 yards.  They were 10.5 degree and I was happy with that distance at my age.

I heard all the fuss about the Ping G400 max so I decided to buy a used Ping G400 max 9 degree since I heard they launch high.  My drives are now around 250 which is mind blowing because I have never been able to hit the ball so far.  I am amazed at how easy this club is to hit.

I also bought a Ping G425 hybrid and a Ping G425 3 wood so now I kind of want to mess around with a Ping G425 driver just to see how it compares to the Ping G400 max I have. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

10 hours ago, Rosco1216 said:

About half of the ping heads I’ve seen actually had some melt in the head without them even knowing it. Yours may have had some added. I bought a head that was still in plastic that had about 6g in it, not even mentioned on the sheet from ping. 

I would guess they do that because something was out of spec/tolerance.  Just a guess though.  I would think that is actually pretty common with many oems.

A playing partner, actually 2, have 425s.  One of them used just a minor squirt of that expanding spray foam insulation that comes in a can with a small tube (like a can of wd40).  It killed that obnoxious sound.  The other partner seems to be okay with the obnoxious sound.   

2 hours ago, BG5 said:

I played a Ping G10 Driver and a Ping K15 Driver for the past 10 years and hit both of them around 220 yards.  They were 10.5 degree and I was happy with that distance at my age.

I heard all the fuss about the Ping G400 max so I decided to buy a used Ping G400 max 9 degree since I heard they launch high.  My drives are now around 250 which is mind blowing because I have never been able to hit the ball so far.  I am amazed at how easy this club is to hit.

I also bought a Ping G425 hybrid and a Ping G425 3 wood so now I kind of want to mess around with a Ping G425 driver just to see how it compares to the Ping G400 max I have. 

I would honestly just stick with the Ping G400 Max. The G425 sounds that bad. Mine has 3 grams of hot melt and still sounds like a trash can.

In fact, mine will be put up for sale asap. 

• Like 1

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 5W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

I have no idea whether or not my club has anything in it, but indoors or out, I have no issue with the sound.  Honestly, for me it just sounds like what I have experienced with my G, but a bit more powerful. I know the feel of the carbon heads, and other models that are chasing that "dead" feeling, and there was a time when I enjoyed that due it being different.  I have just come to like how this head and the other Pings sound.  Honestly, there was never a moment that sound played a role in the decision on this head. 

The other thing that I am loving is that even when I know I have missed it, whether heel or toe, I feel like its balancing out the miss. Meaning the spin is not shooting through the roof on heel strikes or worse for me, dropping into the 1500' or lower, that just fall out of the sky left. Again, I can and have hit drivers longer. My son has an ST190 with a Black Atmos TS that when I catch it, it just goes. It lives in that 1700-1900 spin on centered hits for me, which makes it longer.  Yet I miss that thing in the toe, and we drop to 900-1300 and we are looking for my ball left of left. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BG5 said:

I played a G10 for years as well.  It probably had the record for longest time in my bag for a driver.   I replaced it with the G400 Max. Then I decided to upgrade and went through several drivers including an extended stint with the G410. I got a G425 and only kept in the bag for a month.  Sold it to buy another G400 Max.

The G425 gets a lot of love and I'm glad it working for the OP. I couldn't get used to the sound. And the results weren't as good as other PING drivers for me. I wanted to love it though. It's a very sexy looking club.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

7 hours ago, BG5 said:

My question is are you using the stock Ping shafts ? I believe the 30+ yds distance gain, I've witnessed it.

On 5/27/2022 at 12:07 AM, Rosco1216 said:

So how did you find out? 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 5:53 AM, grantm1120 said:

So how did you find out? 

Assuming he weighed it and it came in higher than other stock Ping heads... I have heard Ping does this from time to time.

Good to hear as I have a 425 Max head on the way.  I loved the 400 Max but prices are still stupid on them, may as well go new!  Buddy of mine has one and I noticed the other day, the sound really isn't that bad outside.  It's just different.  More noticeable these days when carbon drivers are everywhere.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

On 5/29/2022 at 7:53 AM, grantm1120 said:

So how did you find out? 

Well some weighed more than stock and had the same stock weight in the rear. Most you can see the residue in the melt port. 

Piretti Savona 

The Ping MAX heads have been the best combo of length and accuracy of any driver I’ve ever played.   Some will say they’re a little high spin and that might be true.  I just pair them with low spin shafts and they’re fantastic.  I spray more with Cally and TM heads especially with the twist face stuff.   I don’t think I’ll ever switch out of Ping drivers.  They just work for me. 

Ping G400 MAX 9 Kuro Kage Tini 60x

Titleist TSI2 18 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

Once you find the right shaft and weight combo, there just isn't anything that is easier to hit. 

May not be the longest but on avg distance and dispersion...nothing beats them.  Cheat code for fairways.  

I found the LST to be the right one for me, and I really like the way it sounds/feels.  That's why I dropped the g400 LST for the 425 LST...that and I just hit even more fairways with that one...and "ho'ishly"...the colorway is better looking. 😀

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

I cant hear any sound coming off the driver, they all sound the same to me but Im not deaf. Weird

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

On 5/26/2022 at 7:46 PM, taylormade113 said:

Back story. I have had the Ping G in the bag for at least 3, maybe 4 seasons and it kept its place due to just being boringly repeatable. I hit longer drivers over that time, but nothing that I felt could translate into real world gains as opposed to GCquad gains. So it stayed. Plus, the Pings just fit my eye. The G sat perfect for me and and I felt I could hit it straightish and also hit my go to cut that were both very repeatable. So nothing changed. 

Last week I stroll in to my local shop and there was a G425 in the used bin, brand new with a Tensi Raw Orange shaft. Dotted it up and had to hit it. My first time with the shaft and I was instantly in love with the feel of the Orange, and the head sat and fit my eye even better than the G. Numbers were just as solid and this time consistent gains. Not 20, but a solid 10 of carry, without being scary low spin. I heard people speaking to it's sound, but I have actually enjoyed the feel and sound. Coming from the G, it honestly just sounds more powerful. Also, it was honestly easier than the G to get the same numbers over and over. Only problem was the price tag. Talked to a friend in the shop and he worked some magic and for my G, and old 2 Ball and 100$ we had a new driver. 

I have now had it on the course and it has honestly been a revelation. Just easy.  And that's what I want. I don't want to have to work for it, launch, carry shape...I am looking to simplify and this does it. I have had more than one swing where I looked up and expected a low spin, hook left and it was just down the left side. I can tell the more I play it, my gains are increasing via trust. Meaning I am willing to just let my hands go instead of "trying", which is fun. The driver has always been the club that shapes my round and now I feel like that part is honestly settled. 

Just my take. I honestly don't see this stick leaving until there is a change in COR rules, lol. 

Share you long term takes with me, I would love to hear how the G425 is still holding it's place in your bag. 

Kris

G425 Max 9 degree Alta CB 55x - one of the best things that happened to me in my less than an year of golf journey! I can already drive 300 yards(total) occasionally with 270 yards(carry) almost consistently into the fairways about eighty percent of the time. One of my buddies insisted I get this after he saw me hitting bombs with my Callaway Edge driver, hit his G425 Max 10.5 with Alta CB 55s driver once and immediately knew I had to get it. Already scored an eagle on a long par 5 before ever scoring a birdie, drove a green on a not so long par 4(made a par due to bad putting), scored a few birdies, numerous pars in the last 5 months of playing every week(started playing 9 holes couple times during the week). This driver definitely sets you up for lower scores when hit properly, great fairway finder, goes straight most of the time - I haven’t learned to hit a draw or a fade yet, still working on my swing. PING’s Alta CB 55s stock shaft was good but 55x turned out even better. Sorry about the long post, got a little excited there!

Update: 

Still amazing. 

Honestly, this has just turned my "when its on, its a weapon" driver, into a consistent weapon. Now that it is warming up, I am really starting to see the distance shine out of this thing. Not only is the head perfect visually to my eye, I also think the shaft has been a revelation for my game. I honestly feel I stumbled into just a perfect fit. 

One thing that I have had to adjust is start lines, when I am shaping it left to right. I used to hit a Bubba like cut when I wanted to find fairway, and now I have to start my line deeper into the fairway or left edge as it just doesn't want to move a ton. I also have become way more free in just letting my hands go on tight driving holes where in the past I would have squeezed one in there. This is a big change. 

Just don't see this thing going anywhere soon!

I’ve had a G425 Max for about a year. The sound could be more pleasing but the results can’t be denied. I hit more fairways with it than the 400 Max I had before and it was no slouch. I have the stock Alta senior shaft and the stock Tensei Orange in regular flex and both work for me with my old man speed and smooth tempo. 

I recently turned the loft down to get some more roll on our dry summer fairways. If I’m playing soft fairways I turn the loft back up. This is the only adjustable driver I’ve ever had that I could turn the loft all the way down and not loose it right. 

Another note on the sound. I’m a low speed player (high 80’s) and my upper frequency hearing is but a memory, so those things probably contribute to my not finding the sound too obnoxious. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 5/27/2022 at 1:11 PM, BG5 said:

What shaft are you using on the driver?