2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Maltby KE4 Max - new and pretty clean Ultra Game Improvement iron...anybody hit it yet?

bogey69

1 minute ago, Colej said:

I would think C8-C9? At 37” 

Me too, which is why the C2-4 measurements I was getting seemed so odd. I'll redo the measurements after swapping out the grips to see what I get. Could just be miscalculation as well as I was in a bit of a hurry. C9-D0 is the goal for the mid irons. D1-D2 for the wedges. That would match my Clevelands I currently game.

1 hour ago, Spankapotamus redux said:

Me too, which is why the C2-4 measurements I was getting seemed so odd. I'll redo the measurements after swapping out the grips to see what I get. Could just be miscalculation as well as I was in a bit of a hurry. C9-D0 is the goal for the mid irons. D1-D2 for the wedges. That would match my Clevelands I currently game.

Heavy grips will throw off the swingweight.  Always swingweight using standard type 50 gram grips.

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

So follow up after installing a standard Tour Velvet style grip on the 8i I built last night show a SW of C8 (just a touch under). Roughly 4 grams to get close to goal. Still going to hit them as is first to see how it goes, but 4 grams is much more in line with what I expected going in.

• Like 1

Ok, so first report back after some actual ball to club face action. TL:DR - not a fan.

So the longer version. All swings with the 8i test club and good quality balls.

Swing weight was reasonably close enough to be tolerable to what I'm used to. I'd want to dial it in if I were to game these, but it in no way affected the test.

Looks:

Club frames the ball nicely. Appears a lot smaller down there than I expected.

Ball flight: nice height and straight when struck well. 

Lie angle: standard lie angle fits fine.

The meh:

Shafts: my first experience with the MMT. They seem to be a decent fit if not quite a bit different than the Miyazaki's I'm used to.

Distance: not anything remarkable either way. Seems in line with my current set as expected.

Dislikes:

Feel - just like most component irons and even hybrids I've tried over the years, they're too "clicky". Harsh isn't the correct word, but they have a definite click to them that is very solid. Feel is audible for a lot of folks, so count me in that category. I'm no forged iron snob. I actually prefer cast irons, but these are a tad more harsh/clicky than I prefer.

Chipping: 8i is not what I usually chip with, but I'm not bad with one. These don't fit my preferred profile if you will for chipping. Probably back to the feel thing, but I didn't like it.

Ball flight: not tolerant of an off tempo swing. Before anyone jumps in to say it, pretty much no club is, but that's not what I mean. With my gamers, I can hit a usual 75% effort swing and get a good result. Same with these. The difference is with the gamers, I can step on one and go 95% to get a few more yards and usually a hard draw. It's predictable. These .. no-go. When I tried to step on one, a short low fade every time. Again, first time out, but that's a tool I've got to have in the toolbox. Most likely a mishit although I couldn't tell where.

Speaking of the swing, maybe a function of the lie (feel free to chime in) but I found myself coming in steep and digging hard more than a few times. Yeah could just be my swing today, I'm not passing damnation here, but I can't remember the last time I did that with my Clevelands.

Overall, color me unimpressed. If I was at a demo day, these would go back in the bucket and I'd move along. Since that's not the case and I have a bit invested here, they will get another few tries. I will hold off on building the rest of the set for now though. May try the initial plan of the Rapid Tapers to see if it makes a difference, but I don't think the shaft is the problem. I have a set in the closet though so I may as well give them a go while I have the opportunity.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Spankapotamus redux said:

Ok, so first report back after some actual ball to club face action. TL:DR - not a fan.

Swing weight was reasonably close enough to be tolerable to what I'm used to. I'd want to dial it in if I were to game these, but it in no way affected the test.

Looks:

The meh:

Shafts: my first experience with the MMT. They seem to be a decent fit if not quite a bit different than the Miyazaki's I'm used to.

Distance: not anything remarkable either way. Seems in line with my current set as expected.

Dislikes:

Feel - just like most component irons and even hybrids I've tried over the years, they're too "clicky". Harsh isn't the correct word, but they have a definite click to them that is very solid. Feel is audible for a lot of folks, so count me in that category. I'm no forged iron snob. I actually prefer cast irons, but these are a tad more harsh/clicky than I prefer.

Chipping: 8i is not what I usually chip with, but I'm not bad with one. These don't fit my preferred profile if you will for chipping. Probably back to the feel thing, but I didn't like it.

Ball flight: not tolerant of an off tempo swing. Before anyone jumps in to say it, pretty much no club is, but that's not what I mean. With my gamers, I can hit a usual 75% effort swing and get a good result. Same with these. The difference is with the gamers, I can step on one and go 95% to get a few more yards and usually a hard draw. It's predictable. These .. no-go. When I tried to step on one, a short low fade every time. Again, first time out, but that's a tool I've got to have in the toolbox. Most likely a mishit although I couldn't tell where.

Speaking of the swing, maybe a function of the lie (feel free to chime in) but I found myself coming in steep and digging hard more than a few times. Yeah could just be my swing today, I'm not passing damnation here, but I can't remember the last time I did that with my Clevelands.

Overall, color me unimpressed. If I was at a demo day, these would go back in the bucket and I'd move along. Since that's not the case and I have a bit invested here, they will get another few tries. I will hold off on building the rest of the set for now though. May try the initial plan of the Rapid Tapers to see if it makes a difference, but I don't think the shaft is the problem. I have a set in the closet though so I may as well give them a go while I have the opportunity.

Could it be you’re striking them just a touch low on the face? That’s a miss I have and with these, you’ll get that harsh feel. Foot powder spray or impact stickers would let you know for sure. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spankapotamus redux said:

Looks:

The meh:

Dislikes:

You might try the KE4 Tour+, which is cast from softer 431 stainless.   I can't figure out why they decided to cast the Max with hard 17/4

• Like 3

Good points both @Colejand @Cwebb. I didn't think about the 17-4, but that's the common denominator of most irons I haven't cared for in the past. Surely thin strikes are a possibility on many strikes, I wasn't tuned in to that today but makes sense. Those obviously hit on the screws however still didn't feel the way I would like. Could be that they weren't quite on the screws...so I'll investigate impact closer next time out. If it turns out that's not the issue, I'll investigate the KE4+.

• Like 1

If anyone ends up wanting to part with theirs let me know and I would love to buy.  Looking for a set with shafts of ultra game improvements.  Just coming back to golf after a decade.  Swing speed in the mid 90s.  Located in Los Angeles.  The ke4 max seem ideal for someone like myself. Located in Los Angeles

Edited by LosAngeles_golfer
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, wjmfour1 said:

Wondering how these would blend with a TE Forged 5-PW set. Thought about adding the Max 4 and 5.  I would end up with 2 5 irons due to the weaker loft of the TE Forged. The Max lofts would be closer to essentially having a 3 and 4 iron.

If you decide you would like to let me know.  I purchased a 4 and 5 to blend with a set I had around here, but then I tried a different set of irons altogether that I'm really happy with so I have 2 new iron heads I don't really need now.  I'd give you a little deal on them.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, wjmfour1 said:

Wondering how these would blend with a TE Forged 5-PW set. Thought about adding the Max 4 and 5.  I would end up with 2 5 irons due to the weaker loft of the TE Forged. The Max lofts would be closer to essentially having a 3 and 4 iron.

Not very well, in my opinion.  Completely different head designs.  Usually if I'm going to combo set with different  AVCOG heights, it makes sense to go with the lower one in the longer irons.  The TE/DBM have about the lowest AVCOG that you will find in any iron design still available.

The TE/DBM is a design where if they fit you well, just go with them through your longest iron

Just a follow up after a couple months with the KE4 Max irons.

First of all, I have no desire to go back to my players clubs.

As I mentioned before, these do not look SGI at address.  The offset is minimal and well disguised. Although the top line is thicker than than my old irons, it is not chunky looking and not distracting at all.

Hits toward the toe are much more forgiving with little distance loss.  I assume the COG is moved toward the toe.

Distance is what surprised me.  Despite the stronger lofts, they do not play that much longer.  My theory is that although my new 5 iron is about the same loft as my old 4 iron, the design causes it to launch higher and probably with more spin.  The trajectory of the new 5 iron is very similar  to my old 5 iron.  I am about half a club longer and likely due to the lighter graphite shaft vs steel.  Seems they were designed to give a launch angle you would expect from a 7i or 5i rather than what you would expect from loft angle.  Lower COG? Higher launch shafts?

Have others found similar results going to stronger lofted GI irons?

I have found this an easier transition going from players to SGI than I expected.  

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 9:20 PM, Spankapotamus redux said:

Good points both @Colejand @Cwebb. I didn't think about the 17-4, but that's the common denominator of most irons I haven't cared for in the past. Surely thin strikes are a possibility on many strikes, I wasn't tuned in to that today but makes sense. Those obviously hit on the screws however still didn't feel the way I would like. Could be that they weren't quite on the screws...so I'll investigate impact closer next time out. If it turns out that's not the issue, I'll investigate the KE4+.

I find if my irons are too light, I will tend to thin the ball.  I don't know if this is true for others but worth considering.

29 minutes ago, CROUSE99 said:

I find if my irons are too light, I will tend to thin the ball.  I don't know if this is true for others but worth considering.

I got it all squared away, but forgot to update. Swapped out the MMT shafts for the Rapid Taper 95S and it's a different game. Better contact, no harsh/clicky feel, good distance. Finding the center of the face consistently. Maybe the MMT were just too light, which is surprising since the shaft in my other irons is even lighter than they are. Either way, I'm finishing up the rest of the set and hope to get them in play this weekend.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spankapotamus redux said:

I got it all squared away, but forgot to update. Swapped out the MMT shafts for the Rapid Taper 95S and it's a different game. Better contact, no harsh/clicky feel, good distance. Finding the center of the face consistently. Maybe the MMT were just too light, which is surprising since the shaft in my other irons is even lighter than they are. Either way, I'm finishing up the rest of the set and hope to get them in play this weekend.

Not surprised you like the Rapid Taper 95s. Those things have some zip in them. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

7 hours ago, Spankapotamus redux said:

There’s gonna be (I already have some) a rapid taper 105 and Spin 110 wedge shaft as well. If you’re looking for heavier options for your wedges. 

Edited by Colej

6 minutes ago, Colej said:

There’s gonna be (I already have some) a rapid taper 105 and Spin 110 wedge shaft as well. If you’re looking for heavier options for your wedges. 

I am very interested in the 105! The 75g version was the lightest shaft I ever tried and it held up very well and felt super. Not stable and like a pole, stable and explosive. The 105 is right in my preferred weight range. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 6:20 PM, mustang said:

DO IT.  Then tell me about it!   I have my mind set on TS-3 or TS-4...... then all these reviews...   

Ha Ha,

So I ordered a set 5-GW of the KE4 Max last night.  Will be installing a set of steelfiber i95 R soft stepped once.  Will be selling my TS1 4-GW heads.  The only issue I see at the moment is finding a wedge that fits between my 55 degree PMP and the 48 degree GW of the max.... or just replace the 55 with a 52 and 56 ?

Edited by Sparkey67
  • Like 1

Just a quick update:  I was able to get the 5-8 irons glued up Monday night and put them into play yesterday.  Only hit a punch with the 5 iron but it did exactly what I wanted and felt great off the face.

One 7 iron that felt great and two 8 irons.  The first out on the toe a bit that flew straight but only went about 127 yards and another 8 iron that I flushed.  Felt great off the face and traveled 139 yards to the back fringe of the green.

Tonight I'll glue up the 9 thru GW and then put the whole set in play Thursday night in position round of our league.  We are in 2nd, 5 pts out of first place.

Really liking how they swing, how they feel and how they look.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 12:23 PM, Klubster said:

Just a follow up after a couple months with the KE4 Max irons.

First of all, I have no desire to go back to my players clubs.

As I mentioned before, these do not look SGI at address.  The offset is minimal and well disguised. Although the top line is thicker than than my old irons, it is not chunky looking and not distracting at all.

Hits toward the toe are much more forgiving with little distance loss.  I assume the COG is moved toward the toe.

Distance is what surprised me.  Despite the stronger lofts, they do not play that much longer.  My theory is that although my new 5 iron is about the same loft as my old 4 iron, the design causes it to launch higher and probably with more spin.  The trajectory of the new 5 iron is very similar  to my old 5 iron.  I am about half a club longer and likely due to the lighter graphite shaft vs steel.  Seems they were designed to give a launch angle you would expect from a 7i or 5i rather than what you would expect from loft angle.  Lower COG? Higher launch shafts?

Have others found similar results going to stronger lofted GI irons?

I have found this an easier transition going from players to SGI than I expected.  

I actually found that to be the same with my Sim2 irons.  Thought I would get more distance......NOT.  Same distances with higher launch.  Don't mind that, just had to adjust expectations.  

That being said, and I know this is a KE4 Max thread, but my SIL purchased the STi2's 5-GW.  He got them -1/4 (he's 5'7" - 5'8").  I hit them and they feel REALLY nice.  Even though the lofts aren't as jacked as my Sim2's I hit them same distance even being shorter length.  The top line is almost as thin as a players club with a minimal offset.  they are SGI vs. UGI.  Has anyone built and used these as well?

Edited by wantacigar
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, wantacigar said:

I actually found that to be the same with my Sim2 irons.  Thought I would get more distance......NOT.  Same distances with higher launch.  Don't mind that, just had to adjust expectations.  

That being said, and I know this is a KE4 Max thread, but my SIL purchased the STi2's 5-GW.  He got them -1/4 (he's 5'7" - 5'8").  I hit them and they feel REALLY nice.  Even though the lofts aren't as jacked as my Sim2's I hit them same distance even being shorter length.  The top line is almost as thin as a players club with a minimal offset.  they are SGI vs. UGI.  Has anyone built and used these as well?

Both are really solid heads. It just depends on your needs as the soles and bounces are very different. If you take a really heavy divot and hit down and through, go with the Ke4 max. If you are more of a picker with very light ground contact go with the STi2. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kyfra said:

Absolutely loving these irons. Point and shoot. Was playing 7-G, but added the 6 and dropped a hybrid. Hitting the 6 so well I just ordered the 4 and 5.

Yeah, I am only playing the 4 iron, but point and shoot is a great way to describe it. Not getting any click at all either. Indeed, excellent feel off the face, very satisfying. But what is most impressive is it is easy to hit this club well, and even on a mishit it flies like I hit it well. 

• Like 1

All put together and tidied up. Played a few rounds with these so far, and while I'm still adjusting to them, I quite like them. I think a good bit of my issue with these initially was too many thin strikes likely due to flipping. Still working on getting rid of that. Really nice looking clubs to boot.

IMG_20220828_121649-01.jpeg

IMG_20220828_121707-01.jpeg

• Like 3

Chiming in to say I'm really enjoying these so far (4-GW, Rapport Blue, R Flex). Can't say I've got much to compare these against, aside from some 20 year old Callaway X14 clubs. I did have a fitting after some GolfTEC lessons, and their recommendation was to go for the Callaway Rogue Max OST in stock graphite shafts, but I couldn't justify the cost. These are doing just as well for me for half the price. Was similarly tempted by the STi2 but figured I'd go with slightly more forgiveness.

Taking them for a spin on Monday at Goat Hill (Oceanside, CA) and looking forward to it!

2 hours ago, Lantrino said:

Chiming in to say I'm really enjoying these so far (4-GW, Rapport Blue, R Flex). Can't say I've got much to compare these against, aside from some 20 year old Callaway X14 clubs. I did have a fitting after some GolfTEC lessons, and their recommendation was to go for the Callaway Rogue Max OST in stock graphite shafts, but I couldn't justify the cost. These are doing just as well for me for half the price. Was similarly tempted by the STi2 but figured I'd go with slightly more forgiveness.

Taking them for a spin on Monday at Goat Hill (Oceanside, CA) and looking forward to it!

Congrats. I think they are outstanding. Have not tried the STI2 but the KE4 MAX 4 iron already has proven to be reliable and accommodating to even a reasonably good swing. Would like to hear more about the Rapport Blue iron shafts and how they’re playing. 

Edited by dmeeksDC

38 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Congrats. I think they are outstanding. Have not tried the STI2 but the KE4 MAX 4 iron already has proven to be reliable and accommodating to even a reasonably good swing. Would like to hear more about the Rapport Blue iron shafts and how they’re playing. 

Wish I had a more informed opinion on the shafts for you. All I can say is the combo is working beautifully for me. Someone mentioned earlier in this (or one of the other Maltby threads), that they feel like point-and-shoot clubs and I'm inclined to agree.

E: I also got the KE4 3H (Rapport shaft) and the Max Milled (True Temper shaft) SW from them. Zero complaints. They've made a fan out of me for sure.

Edited by Lantrino
Extra info

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2022 at 10:40 AM, Sparkey67 said:

Just a quick update:  I was able to get the 5-8 irons glued up Monday night and put them into play yesterday.  Only hit a punch with the 5 iron but it did exactly what I wanted and felt great off the face.

One 7 iron that felt great and two 8 irons.  The first out on the toe a bit that flew straight but only went about 127 yards and another 8 iron that I flushed.  Felt great off the face and traveled 139 yards to the back fringe of the green.

Tonight I'll glue up the 9 thru GW and then put the whole set in play Thursday night in position round of our league.  We are in 2nd, 5 pts out of first place.

Really liking how they swing, how they feel and how they look.  

Another update:

I really like the irons and how they look at address.  But my second time out I struggled with my swing and I think it was the switch to steelfiber i95's.  It was like I was lost in my back swing.  Not sure if it was just a one off or the 25 gram drop in shaft weight that mixing me up.  Might have to go back to my KBS steel shafts.