Moderation Bias

I was directed here after I clicked on 'contact us' at the bottom of the page and wrote to the site. I'm hoping for a reasonable explanation from a staff member/someone in charge of things. Here goes.

I participate in the moderated 'LIV' topic. I've had many posts deleted. They simply vanish and there is no reason (though you will understand what I think they are based on this). Here is what I wrote in the email:

"I am extremely disappointed that my comments in the LIV topic were deleted. Posting truth should not need moderation. You have a mod state that personal statements are not allowed, but then moments later a poster states players participating in LIV are disgusting pigs.

Whenever I have mentioned the connection between Nicklaus, Trump, and the Saudis it gets erased. 

You need to vet your mods better. They need to leave their personal views at the door."

Pointing out the hypocrisy of other members seems to be tolerated dependent only on the bias of the mod(s). One member stated he could never support a nation with such human rights violations and warmongering as SA does. When I pointed out that the U.S. is just as guilty (and provided examples), that post is deleted. 

Again, looking for a reasonable response. Please do not reply that I involved politics and that is the reason. The whole topic is political, and the subjectivity being used by moderators is unfair.

• Like 1

The mods have final discretion of what is fair and not fair and controversial topics will have many diverse opinions. 

It is up to them to engage with each individual moderation action if they choose to go in depth about a particular action. Moderation is inherently biased because it involves interpretation of rules.   The mods are selected because of their representation of the community.  

It will never be perfect and it is subjective.  If one disagrees with the moderation, then there are other platforms to discuss this on. 

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

You must be a lawyer.

Your definition of subjectivity by moderators is quite vast, I see, and it is proven by not just the example I gave above, but subsequent posts in that topic.

"It is up to them to engage with each individual moderation action if they choose to go in depth about a particular action". In depth?!? That seems to be your fancy way of saying that mods here have free reign and can delete at will. How democratic!

I did not ask for perfection. I asked for a reasonable explanation why posts were deleted. You are providing the company line, euphemisms, and basically telling me (and everyone else), if you don't like it, leave. 

You need to have accountability.

• Like 1

The LIV Series walks such a fine line and I do not envy the mods for having to deal with it. Ultimately this is a golfing forum and the discussion should revolve around the golfing aspect of it and not the backing of the LIV series. 

Yes, they are ultimately connected, however in the end the golf needs to be the focus of the topic. Inviting discussion on the backing of the league and comparing nations can only lead down the path which will lead to deleted posts, locked threads and heavier moderation which none of care to have to deal with, including I would imagine the moderation team. 

• Like 2

On 6/3/2022 at 1:23 AM, donnygolf said:

You must be a lawyer.

Your definition of subjectivity by moderators is quite vast, I see, and it is proven by not just the example I gave above, but subsequent posts in that topic.

"It is up to them to engage with each individual moderation action if they choose to go in depth about a particular action". In depth?!? That seems to be your fancy way of saying that mods here have free reign and can delete at will. How democratic!

I did not ask for perfection. I asked for a reasonable explanation why posts were deleted. You are providing the company line, euphemisms, and basically telling me (and everyone else), if you don't like it, leave. 

You need to have accountability.

Accountability works both ways and discretion is 100% up to the mods. The fact that we have found.a way for these threads to exist and be moderated is quite an achievement. 

• Like 4

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
BST AD Help

"Accountability works both ways".

This sounds as if I wrote things that were clearly out of bounds. That is certainly not true by looking at 'discretion' used concerning subsequent posts in the topic. 

Which is why i started this.

The 'disgusting pigs' statement just minutes after a mod wrote there about personal attacks is a prime example (again) of that 100% discretion you speak of. 

I also don't agree with your assessment that allowing topics is an achievement. That's the site!

• Like 1

We agree to disagree and as stated, the mods have 100% discretion as you have the discretion to participate or not and be penalized if the mods believe you violated the rules or instigating conduct detrimental to the board. Freedom of speech is moderated here. You can agree or disagree but it’s 100% up to them to make board moderation decisions. 

BST AD Help

Probably yes for scrutiny. 

This topic like that is set to post approve based upon the subject. If you were on probation of any kind, you would have been warned. 

BST AD Help

Thanks for the quick reply.

On the scrutiny part, it reveals the mods do have bias. The posts should be not be judged by who wrote them, but the content. There is no way 500+ posts past muster-some similar to what I wrote-  but mine need more review.

As far as probation, even if my posts are soon removed from purgatory, if they are revealed in the chronological order (meaning 500+ posts ago), the two people that I responded to will never see them.

Per the rules, the mods have the ultimate discretion to moderate the board. There is bias in every moderation decision and past behavior warrants more scrutiny. 

As for when post go lives. You can @ people or quote them and they will be notified. Whether they chose to put you on ignore or not is also up to them. 

BST AD Help

2 hours ago, donnygolf said:

Thanks for the quick reply.

On the scrutiny part, it reveals the mods do have bias. The posts should be not be judged by who wrote them, but the content. There is no way 500+ posts past muster-some similar to what I wrote-  but mine need more review.

As far as probation, even if my posts are soon removed from purgatory, if they are revealed in the chronological order (meaning 500+ posts ago), the two people that I responded to will never see them.

Same thing happened to me. No explanation from the mod, just threats. 

6 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Same thing happened to me. No explanation from the mod, just threats. 

The warning sent to you said no politics. Pretty clear warning. 

BST AD Help