Your best driver ever.

What was is it, and what happened to it ?
My favorite driver was a Callaway Bobby Jones deep face 9.5* with a red and white harrison shaft. I bought it for 50 dollars out of the used club bin at my local club, when I was 15. Straightest driver I ever had . The foam broke in the head and I sent it back to Callaway and they just replaced it with a brand new Big Bertha warbird. Great customer service ,but I just wanted the Jones back.

Mavrik  max 10.5 *  hzrdus t1100 2* adapter
Epic flash 3 wood Hzrdus yellow 85
3 iron PXG 0811 gen 2 0311X Mitsubishi 105 mmt 
4-PW Titleist t100s limited black px lz 
50 Taylormade hi toe px

54 Taylormade hi toe px
60 Taylormade hi toe px 

Toulon Austin garage 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow great question... I had my Callaway Warbird 10.5 that I loved, my Callaway Great Big Bertha 10, and my Callaway BB II 415 9*. I upgrade from the Warbird to the GBB, then got the BBII415, I stupidly got rid of the 415 early last summer..I still regret it :partytime2:. I got rid of it and got the TM Superquad, then got rid of that and got a Titleist 905T and now have a TM Burner. I lost an easy 30yds going from the BBII to the Superquad.. and have been stuck in the mud with ever since. Short drives with all the new technology ;)...

SiD

Pound-for-pound my best driver ever was an old Cobra Deep Face 9 degree with a 44" Sandvik Ti shaft in it. Unpainted at the bottom, blue at the top.

Still got it in the cupboard. It's almost 15 now.

Old Nike woods with blue shafts, Titleist 712Us and a bagful of 681s, two rusty old Vokeys, an Eye 2 L wedge and an Anser 2

my favorite driver ever was only a few years ago. i foolishly got rid of it and wish now i had kept it. it was a TM r510 9.5 with a mitsubishi rayon stiff shaft. it was that ion plated color. it was the first driver i didn't slice and actually hit straight majority of the time. one of my buddies, who is a far better golfer than i, was blown away by how well i hit that club compared to my old driver.

1785212142_CJPSignatureV2.png.8a958a3abbd6c7ef38ba6ca84d08fb97.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify

My favorite driver ever would be one of three. The are as follows:

Callaway GBB II 9.5 with YS7-don't really remember what I traded it for.

Nike SQ Max with Diamana BB 63S-sold it and went back to the 905R

Titleist 905R 9.5 with UST V2 66gr-still have this one

My WITB I have the 907D2 and I am still in the testing phase with it, so I am not completely sold on it.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

My Ping TiSi comes to mind...that thing was like cheating back in the day, hit some of my best drives ever with it. I need to demo a G10 to see if i can get some of that TiSi magic back. I think i replaced it with a TM 320...my driving hasn't been the same since.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 17.5*
Ping G410 Hybrid 21*
TaylorMade DHY 4i
Srixon ZX5 5i - AW

Titleist Vokey SM8 56* 60*
EVNROLL ER1.2 TourBlade

Vessel Lite Lux

I have to agree with the Hibore XL. So solid and long. I play the 9.5 and the ball flight is just perfect. Fit on red shaft stiff. One other driver I would love to exp with is the Cleveland Comp. If I could get a head only I would like to play around with diff shaft options.

Another driver I have to give props to however is the TM 425. My buddy has that driver and I love hitting it when I play a round with him. I can really get after that club. It feels like no matter how hard I swing it is always a good strike. Great feel. Feels like the ball explodes.

The longest driver I've ever hit- a buddy's Cleveland Launcher 400 9.5* with a stiff Fuji Vista Tour 70. It was tipped or something and weighted- either way it almost swung itself. I had swing out of my shoes to get anything out of it- but it sure worked great for the 2 rounds I used it. 3 of the 5 longest drives I've hit were with it- and another one of the longest was with a Launcher 330.

The best however is probably the Adams 460 Dual with a tipped R fles Fuji Vista Tour 60. It's definitely the straightest- haven't poked one in another fairway or out of bounds with it yet.

**ADDITION**

Due to a minor mishap, the Adams 460 Dual with a tipped R flex FujiVT60 is now out of action- busted shaft.

Hopefully, NO, not hopefully, I fully expect the next driver I pick up to be the best one! I might just reshaft the Adams with a shaft with higher kick- that Launcher 400 combo with FujiVT was a high spin head low spin shaft- the Adams is a low spin head low spin shaft and I just didn't get the distance I wanted out of it. The Adams will probably get a V2 or a ProLaunch Platinum.

Either way, I have $300 in credit at Golfsmith and hope to find a new Magic Driver there. First up in the search will be the Cleveland HiBore series. Another option is reshafting a Launcher 460 I have in the closet- it wasn't quite an updated Launcher 330 as I had hoped.

Good timing on the topic.

Had a 7.5 deg 975D w/x100 back in the day and traded it in. I've been Titleists ever since, have a 905R and just switched out the 65 nv with a V2 76, can't wait to hit it. I picked up a 8.5 deg 975D w/x100 from ebay last week ($6.95), I went to the range last night and I forgot how solid this club felt and how long it is. I'll probably put it the bag for the round this weekend.

Mine was a Cally FT-3 with V2 76X... loved that setup up. Great ball flight, great control and great distance...

Haven't hit the new setup yet (much outdoors) but am loving the feel of the new G10/Blueboard setup... Last year had the FT-5 with By You 70X and never really liked it... good distance but just never felt 'right'

My best driver is my X460 that I have now (now that I learned how to hit it).

Before that I had a TaylorMade 200 Steel with a Dynamic Gold stiff steel shaft in it, still have it as a backup.

Had a MacGregor VFoil in between those two, but I sold it to a buddy who was hitting a dented up Orlimar. The Mac was nice, but I still hit the 200 better.

8* big bertha with a stepless brunswick titanium shaft strong flex. i remember that thing being a telephone pole, and the feel took some getting used to. at the time i was having trouble ballooning the ball and missing left, and i could hit that thing with a low running cut without fail. most consitent club i've ever had, i don't think i ever hit left. and when it was dry, i hit balls that were just crazy, crazy long.

975D was great, too.

All through high school it was a classic 9* Cobra deep face w/ steel shaft. i loved this club at the time, a lot of it had to do because at the time i wanted to be Tiger. but i always knew where it was going, not the longest ever but very consistent.

After that i had a 8.5* R510tp X flex rombax.....GOD DAMN i loved this club. i could keep the ball flight nice and penetrating and it took off like a bullet. i loved the feel and sound...until the face cracked on me. i sent it to TM because they said they could replace it. i had no idea they were going to replace it with a r7 Draw....ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? how is that comparable. i gave it right back to the store towards a new purchase. i've since gone from a Macgregor MacTech which was solid but flew a little too high and spun too much. Now i have a Bridgestone j460r w/ V2 Profroce 76 stiff. still getting used to it but i like the launch and it goes very very far. but it doesn't leave me all weak in the knees...i may look into a new shaft once the winter is over.....stupid new england weather