2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best rangefinder out right now?

On 6/17/2022 at 11:01 AM, CasualLie said:

Overall, I agree with many, the Nikons are very good.  Leupold has become a joke.  For that price I expect it to last many years, but you will be lucky to get 18 months before the readout starts fading and edges of your view get all wonky.

For midrange and portability if you like to walk, I have been having a great experience with the Golf Buddy Aim L10.  It's fast and small; 2+ years later works as good as the first day.

I did give Blue Tees a try; it's pretty low quality.  I have bought some golf products over the years that turned out to be duds and usually they find themselves in a box or given away.  The Blue Tees product was so bad, I actually took the time to return it!  It was so slow.  

Just curious on the Blue Tees.  Was it the current Series 3?   I judt bought one—thought I lost it—found it—and think it’s of very high quality.   Magen and I mean maybe a millisecond slower than my Bushnell.   But really a non factor.  Especially for the piece difference.  The optics quality and sturdiness of it are top grade IMO

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

1 minute ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Just curious on the Blue Tees.  Was it the current Series 3?   I judt bought one—thought I lost it—found it—and think it’s of very high quality.   Magen and I mean maybe a millisecond slower than my Bushnell.   But really a non factor.  Especially for the piece difference.  The optics quality and sturdiness of it are top grade IMO

Not sure on series, it was last year.  Perhaps they improved... That's good for customers.

35 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

Not sure on series, it was last year.  Perhaps they improved... That's good for customers.

I was skeptical as I had heard similar to what you said.  But I got a good price in a brand new one so decided to give it w try. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

So had my first round with the Bushnell Tour V5 Shift and I must say it did everything well. Was able to pick up yardages quickly and consistently. Really helped me be confident in the club I was hitting for approach shots, which is really the primary goal of acquiring a RF for me. I will say that the red jolt feature didn't always work to indicate that I had hit my intended target with the laser. Not sure if that was from user error by me or I need to read up about using it correctly with the right settings. It did miss one target with the ocean in the background - not sure if that was a one off thing or if the water made it difficult to pick up the flag. Looking forward to getting more use out of it and am happy with it for the one round that I have used it. Also, did notice why everyone is saying the Nikon series RF's are great with the stabilization feature. Didn't realize how shaky you can get while shooting the target. Won't be doing surgery anytime soon. Used the magnet as well to keep out the hwole round as I walked with my golf clubs being the surface it attached to. Didn't seem at any time that it was going to fall off with it setup this way. Anyway, happy so far and will continue to use and update if anything changes.

• Like 2

Interested to see PP Nx10 reviews. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I love my leupold GX-3i. Been using if for years with no issues at all. The only thing I wish it had was a built in magnet, but I purchased a Stripe Bird magnetic strap and I'm happy. You can find some cheaper ones to get your foot in the door... Nikon cool shot is a great value.

I also use the free version Swing U app along with my laser when I play new courses to get yardages to spots I can't laser and a birds eye view of the hole. 

I can do without GPS, but I will NEVER be able to go without my laser.

Edited by LUMA
  • Like 1

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

Maybe for a different thread or I should just search, but what is everyone’s perspective on GPS watch versus laser rangefinder pluses / minuses?

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

6 hours ago, mshills said:

Maybe for a different thread or I should just search, but what is everyone’s perspective on GPS watch versus laser rangefinder pluses / minuses?

The GPS is great for front, middle and back of greens to figure out must carry or avoiding trouble quickly.  I still want a range finder though as I really can’t tell if the pin is back or middle most times.  With my game I could get by just fine with the gps app on my watch, but will pull out my laser to compare center of green GPS to actual flag.  Some GPS apps have distances to the hazard and to clear.  On an unfamiliar course that is nice.

12 hours ago, mshills said:

Laser gives you exact distance. Helps me fire directly at pins. I absolutely cannot live without a laser on approach shots. 

GPS let’s me see where I should land shots on courses I have never played. I know where I need to hit at and what the distance looks like. I only use GPS when I don’t know where to hit it off the tee for the most part

Example: If you have never been here, you cannot see any water. You would just fire at that tree line and end up wet without a birds eye view and gps distance. This game is a game of inches, even in the fairway.

C6C80F8F-55D6-4EE3-A0E2-8BC2061AE518.png.cb1c635c5f3d7d2ba63d6db88f446fbe.png

Edited by LUMA
  • Like 1

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

I am simply not that precise any more. When my handicap was low it would have been different. All I really need these days is front / mid / back, and of course hazard carry…so a rangefinder is a cool accessory but really not necessary. 

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

So far I've used 3 and all work superb. I'll list out the main pros for each:

Bushnell Tour V5 Shift - Best feedback (vibration) and magnet is STRONG

Nikon Coolshot PRO Stabilized - Fastest lock on pin and focus

Voice Caddie CL2 - Aesthetically best look and premium feel

I say you can't go wrong with any of them.

Just look for the best deal!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, izzabear said:

So far I've used 3 and all work superb. I'll list out the main pros for each:

Bushnell Tour V5 Shift - Best feedback (vibration) and magnet is STRONG

Nikon Coolshot PRO Stabilized - Fastest lock on pin and focus

Voice Caddie CL2 - Aesthetically best look and premium feel

I say you can't go wrong with any of them.

Just look for the best deal!

Thanks. The CL2 Costco sells for a good price but hadn’t seen any reviews of yet.  Was wondering about it.  

58 minutes ago, izzabear said:

Same. I figured I take a chance since Costco has a great return policy. I say give it a go!

Does it have red or black display? I prefer red in all lighting conditions 

On 6/24/2022 at 9:44 AM, Minarets said:

Interested to see PP Nx10 reviews. 

Just bought one. We'll see

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

Took delivery of the Cobalt Q-6 recently and had an opportunity to use this past weekend. I'm impressed. Easy to use, great optics and clarity reading numbers, and- most importantly- instant lock-on to flags, no issues with interference from trees, etc., behind the flags. If one starts scanning behind the flag- at a group of trees, for example- the Cobalt will signal both audibly and visually when the flagstick (or other nearer object) has been detected.

Only drawback is there isn't a "cart magnet" built in and its design is such that "traditional" magnetic straps (like the nice leather one I have) won't fit. That said, I used a thin magnetic velcro type strap I'd picked from Amazon a year ago and it fits well onto the front end of the Cobalt and I haven't had any issues two rounds into my usage.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, minhjn said:

Just bought one. We'll see

Yup. Please review once it lands. 

I actually just decided to upgrade my Leupold GX-3i3. After playing around with some at Edwin Watts yesterday, I found a Bushnell Pro XE that marked $100 off so I paid $449. I couldn’t pass that up. It was returned by a guy who bought two of them for a tournament and returned one. Never used.

Anyways, living in Florida, we get crazy weather swings hourly so the elements feature is amazing. This thing no joke will read a spot at 165 and due to temp and humidity, it plays at 155. That’s a game changer. I’ve shot flags with other finders, pured it from 150 and come up 10 yards short on the regular. This will be huge and will help me learn more about how weather affects my shots in the real world.

Edited by LUMA

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

I bought a Caddytek from Costco for $129. I’ve used it for 2 rounds and can say that it’s fast and accurate. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 Ventus Blue TR
Taylormade SIM 2 Ti 3W

Taylormade Sim 2 5W
Ping G410 4 Hybrid
PXG 0311T Gen 4 5-GW, Steelfiber i95 
PXG Gen 2 Sugar Daddy 54
Titleist SM9 58T
Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport

50 minutes ago, izzabear said:

LED is all red so it's super clear to read

Im Trying to decide between it and NX10.  May buy one of the other this weekend. 

As much as I want the ambient red led display, I think the magnet outweighs any other for me.  Gonna order an NX10 to see 

On 6/13/2022 at 12:20 PM, mikewohlwend said:

Glad I decided to read this about all the options.  I currently have a Precision Pro NX7 Pro and over the last 2 weeks and over 200 holes, I am done with it.  I contacted PP about it not picking up a flag and was offered a 30% of discount on a new one.  I don't have many options since it's 3 years old and only has a 2 year warranty.

I am looking at the following just need to try them in person:

Bushnell Pro XE

Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

Nikon Pro Shot II

Blue Tees S3 Max

I also have the PP NX7. Last week display just quit working. Been in contact via email with PP to see what my options are.  I’ve provided serial number and that I bought directly from them. I can not get a straight answer about my options.   So I am in process of finding a different rangefinder. 

Driver-Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3Wood -Cobra F8 Irons-Srixon ZX7 3-PW Wedges-Haywood Putter-Seemore M1W Ball-Snell MTBX, Vice Pro Plus

1 hour ago, Dukefan1 said:

I also have the PP NX7. Last week display just quit working. Been in contact via email with PP to see what my options are.  I’ve provided serial number and that I bought directly from them. I can not get a straight answer about my options.   So I am in process of finding a different rangefinder. 

Really? How long ago did you buy from them? Their customer service has always been good with me.  My nx9 stopped working and I messaged them and they asked for my serial number and they sent me a replacement and a box with a return label for my bad one.  They have always never been more than 2 days on replacement batteries for me.  

i should say, mine was still under warranty.  Not sure where you would go for some one to offer up a replacement outside of warranty?  Read the bushnell horror stories about customer service.   

Edited by Minarets

On 6/25/2022 at 5:11 AM, mshills said:

... Prolly many threads on this but my winter playing pard is a high index golfer and is thrilled to be on a green with any shot so he has a GPS that works well enough for him. He says anything within 10 yds is good enough and I have found that is generally the margin of error but sometimes more compared to my range finder. Especially since the greens are large and it isn't always easy to know if the pin is really front/middle/back. I need exact yardages to know what full or partial iron to hit and when I am on I can usually be within a few yards for distance although of course direction is what it is, so a 10-15yd GPS error would be a disaster for my scoring. 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Bought the NX10. Let’s hope it does feel premium.  That would be worth the cost, imo. 

5 hours ago, Minarets said:

Bought the NX10. Let’s hope it does feel premium.  That would be worth the cost, imo. 

I bought a pro XE the year they came out maybe 2019? I loved it but I better for that price. The slope switch broke after a little over a year. I treated it like a piece of glass never tossed it on the grass or dropped it either. Bushnell wouldn't fix it and instead offered me $50 discount to buy a brand new one.  I might have been able to hassle with them but I didn't want to take the time and continued to use it without slope.

A buddy dropped it on the path a few months ago and which was it's first real drop and poof it's a fridge magnet now.

Even though I'm not good enough to have it matter (as some people have pointed out) I'm like a rangefinder crack addict and with minimal research ordered the nx10. 

I had a 3 day tournament starting the following day so I borrowed an NX9 from my club pro and honestly it was a tough transition. Sure it works, but just felt super cheap and the optics were bad. Needless to say I was having buyers remorse for the nx10 but once it came I was very surprised. 

If I did I blind test I would never believe the NX9 and NX10 came from the same company.

The feel and build are super quality. It has a nice heft to it without being a brick like the Bushnell PRO XE.

The optics are great as well. Sure they aren't as quality as the $550 Bushnell but they are definitely better than all the other bargain brands. 

The magnet is not nearly as strong as the Bushnell bite but it will definitely not fall off. Also it might just be me but the magnet was so strong on the Bushnell I almost dropped it often grabbing it too quick and it sticking to the cart for dear life. 

I play in Wednesday leagues that go to until dark and I do not miss the red lit display either. I can see this one fine.

Outside of performance this think looks great and the interchangeable face plates are awesome. Most won't care about this but the wrxers like me who customize everything from headcover to golf tees will enjoy it. I just went from a custom club logo during my rival match between neighbor club to American flag for 4th of July and my partners were all loving it and looking into buying their own.

Sorry for the rant but you will love the NX10. It is very rare in today's market that a golf product over performs enough to surprise me so I felt  I owed them some love. Lastly I have read they have good customer support but fingers crossed I never have to find out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1