MEMBER REVIEWS: Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons! See What Members Are Saying!

Love WRXers are doing the Forged Tec testings but I have to ask...

I wonder why Cobra is not promoting their 2022 Forged Tec & X more on social media? For instance, hardly anything on FTX, FT or even the new One Lengths (I think theres like only 1 YT). Some reviews have been great like Tour Spec (they were first) and some crap, like Club Champions.

IMO

Also, all my usual "go to" YouTube suspects (AskGolfNut, Michael Newton, Shiels) with detailed swing numbers are MIA. AskGolfNut does an AMAZING job to discuss toe and heel strikes that many YT testers do not. To be fair, TXG did the Forged Tec but the X was nowhere to be seen...

What gives?

@COBRA PUMA GOLF

Edited by SwingBlues

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Anyone experience crazy jumpers with any of these, more specifically the Forged Tec? Like random shots 20+ yards further than usual?... I always wonder about there being "too much tech"

Ping G425 LST 10.5* OG Hzrdus Black 6.5 70g

Exotics EX10 Beta TI 15* Hzrdus Black 6.5 80g 

Cobra Radspeed Tour 19* Aldila NV 2KXV green 85TX

Callaway Apex MB ‘18 / Apex Pro Dot 4-P DG TI X100

Cleveland RTX ZipCore Tour Rack Raw 50F, 56F, 60 FF DGTI S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Design No. 5  35"/71*/4*

Anyone experience crazy jumpers with any of these, more specifically the Forged Tec? Like random shots 20+ yards further than usual?... I always wonder about there being "too much tech"

On 6/24/2022 at 8:48 AM, Luds said:

I have the FT one Length. Actually noticing the opposite. Haven't had any wild flyers in 3 rounds so far.  I would catch one every now and then with my F9 OL. Crazy stuff like being 130 out, and hit the 9 iron yards over the whole green.  With the FT OL I have less overall distance compared to the F9s, but control is amazing.  Played one of my better rounds of the year yesterday. 87 and that was with 3 doubles. Those were the fault of my tee shots, and not the irons.  The irons helped me save a worse score on those holes. I love the control I have with them when I put a good swing on them.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pack7483 said:

I have the FT one Length. Actually noticing the opposite. Haven't had any wild flyers in 3 rounds so far.  I would catch one every now and then with my F9 OL. Crazy stuff like being 130 out, and hit the 9 iron yards over the whole green.  With the FT OL I have less overall distance compared to the F9s, but control is amazing.  Played one of my better rounds of the year yesterday. 87 and that was with 3 doubles. Those were the fault of my tee shots, and not the irons.  The irons helped me save a worse score on those holes. I love the control I have with them when I put a good swing on them.  

I wish I could tell you. I'm still waiting for mine -damn supply chain!

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

On 6/26/2022 at 9:55 AM, sailfishchris said:

I wish I could tell you. I'm still waiting for mine -damn supply chain!

Same. One day! 😉

• Haha 1

Driver: Titleist TSR2

Fairways: TaylorMade M1 (2017) Aldila Black; Cobra Baffler F6

Irons: Cobra KING Forged Tec Irons Steelfiber i110cw

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 54*; Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58*

Putter: Evnroll ER2 

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Played another 9 in my league last night and played great, thanks in big part to these irons. Had a longish approach shot out of the rough and managed to hold a 7 iron dead straight (again, no right leak) and hit the green and made par on the hardest hole on the course. I was worried the soles would not work with my steep swing but I find the wider sole is actually helping. Hit 2 clubs less on the very next hole (par 3) to 4 feet and made birdie. Stepped up on next hole and hit 6 iron instead of hybrid. I am consistently able to hit shorter irons into greens and my GIR continues to go way up. These irons are making a huge difference in my game. 

• Like 3

Just ordered a LTDX 4i one length, and the one length 60degree snake bite wedge to go with my FTOL.  Really liking these irons. Went out yesterday solo, and played 9. Hit 2 balls on every hole and just worked on working the ball.  Can do so much more with these irons than I could with my F9.  Definitely see them making me a better ball striker.  

• Like 2

Woo Hoo! Just got the news this morning ! My clubs will be here on Thursday! 

Thank you  @COBRA PUMA GOLF!

• Like 2

Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x

I have finally got over COVID and been able to get out an experience these irons on the range for a few sessions and two rounds.  

It is review time.

Looks

These are very good look irons in all facets.  Clean look from the top line and not overly big soles.  Coming from blades and players cavity backs, yes they are a bit larger top line but that is to be expected.  The look is very similar to a Taylor Made 790.

Feel

A very good feel when you catch them center of the club face.  Comparing to my TCB irons, the feel when hit well is very solid.  They are not quite as soft but still, when you hit them well you know it.  The forgiveness on mishits are still solid, while feeling a little more harsh.  Again, they are not going to be the feel of the players iron but they are close.  I tried from multiple different lies, trying to work the ball both ways, and they feel very nice and crisp.  Feel wise these pass the test on full shots but trying to flight the ball they did seem a litter clunkier, which was surprising to me.  

Distance

These irons are long.  I have always been known for a longer hitter but these put me into another level.  I am a full club longer, if not a little more, than my current irons.  This was not a surprise that they went longer but was not expecting this much more.  My current set up that I play is a 3 driving iron, 4 thru PW.  When playing this set, I would not need the 3 iron in the bag and would have to add a wedge to fill in the gaps.

Performance 

If you are looking for a straight ball, these are going to be the clubs for you.  As I mentioned earlier, I am not one that tries to move the ball a lot.  I am normally a straight shot or a baby draw, in which I was able to do very easily with these clubs.  The flighting of these is a little more difficult I found.  I hit a lot of punch and different trajectories playing the winds that I have to deal with in Colorado.  These do fly quite a bit higher than my current irons and when I tried to bring them down, they came to be about the same height as my current irons on full shots.  

Overall

Cobra has a real winner with these irons.  They have a great feel with the 5 times milling, good look and LONG!!!

That being said, for me personally, I will play them in the long irons but would need to have a Players Cavity Back for the shorter irons.

Thank you @COBRA PUMA GOLF for the opportunity to test these clubs.  You are class act and look forward to the future products you develop.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 8.25* | Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylor Made Stealth2+ 4W 15.75* | Ventus TR Blue 8 TX

Titleist TSR2 7W 20.25* | Ventus Blue 9 TX

Titleist T200 Utility 4i | Tensei 1K Black 95X

Titleist T150 (5-P) | Project X 6.0

Titleist SM9 Raw 52F/58T/62LBK | Project X 6.0

Taylor Made Spider Tour X Proto

Titleist Pro V1

Happy 4th of July! I got a pleasant surprise when my irons were delivered on Friday as I knew I was going to play on Sunday. Thank you once again to @GolfWRX and @COBRA PUMA GOLF for letting me review the irons as there were some supply chain issues with the shafts. I’ll provide a brief overview on my background along with initial impressions after one round of play.

Background:

I’m lucky to live in San Diego where I can play year round, but having 3 young kids doesn’t allow me to take advantage of it all of the time. However, I am able to play enough to try to keep my golf game in check. When I’m playing well, then my iron play usually allows me to score well so this is a good test to see how the irons perform against my current set. My current index is a 6.5.

Current Irons: TaylorMade RSi2 B Versions; Nippon Modus 120 Tours Stiff; 4-PW

I was playing with the RSi2 irons for a couple years and heard about the RSi B version irons through this forum which has less offset than the retail versions. I was checking out eBay one day back in 2017 and was able to be the winning bidder for a set of irons; it turned out to be @easyyy. Small world! I’ve switched out many drivers and putters, but I haven’t changed irons often (TaylorMade RAC LT and RSi2 irons are the main irons I’ve used over the years) because they are forgiving in terms of mishits while still maintaining a players look to them.

Irons being tested: Cobra Forged Tec; Steelfiber i110 cw Stiff; 4-G

My initial impression of looks, feel, and performance are below.

Looks:

Definitely nice looking irons. Compared to my current irons, the offset is similar to slightly less while the top line is slightly more as it gets into the 4-7 irons which surprised me. It probably has to do with the additional tech within the clubs, but I expected a comparable or thinner top line.

Feel/Sound:

I’m not sure if this is an apples to apples comparison since my current set is cast while these are forged. Cobra FT felt wonderful when hitting the sweet spot; more importantly, it’s not horrendous when there is a mishit;  my current set doesn’t feel the best, but it performs so it’s something that I’ve continued to use. I believe sound plays a big part in how something may feel and to me it is a muted sound, which I enjoyed.

Performance:

Keep in mind that this was 1 round; whether it was not warming up or getting used to a new set of irons, I didn’t put a solid iron swing on until the back 9 and no irons would’ve saved some of the shots. My best iron shot of the day was into a par 5 with my 4 iron which set me up for a wonderful look at eagle opportunity (I ended up with a birdie). 

• Distance: About the same; mishits might be more punishing (to be seen with more time)

• Dispersion/Forgiveness: Side to side, it appears to keep the ball in play; the one area I’ll continue to keep an eye out on is the forgiveness on mishits. I tend to miss low on the clubface as I’m more of a sweeper/picker rather than a digger when it comes to irons.

I will need more time with the irons to give a more through review of the Cobra FT irons. If I’m able to have the same level of forgiveness with a much better feeling and sounding set of irons, then I would gladly look to permanently switch over. 

• Like 3

Driver: Titleist TSR2

Fairways: TaylorMade M1 (2017) Aldila Black; Cobra Baffler F6

Irons: Cobra KING Forged Tec Irons Steelfiber i110cw

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 54*; Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58*

Putter: Evnroll ER2 

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Okay! I received my Cobra Forged Tec OL's on Thursday evening. I was able to get some range time in Friday evening and played nine holes this afternoon (SAT)

My impression of the clubs.

Looks- They are a player's club head.  The top line is a little thick but not more so than any other club head that isn't a blade. It is, in my opinion, nice to look down on- It isn't distracting. The same can be said of the soles.

Feel- to me feel is quite subjective so...... Center and even toe sided strikes felt nice. Heel sided strikes  were more penal feeling This also tied into distance for me. 

Distance / Ball Flight  The ball wants to go high, far and straight . I found on the range I was probably 10-15 yards longer for each club . I understand the lofts are somewhat strong but the ball is still dropping and stopping so I'm good with the extra distance LOL!

On Course- Clubs got positive reviews from friends I played with this afternoon as I was generally one club longer than they were LOL! These clubs are long.  

I took the liberty of hitting some shots from differing lies around the course.  Seeing how the clubs performed off different lies other than just short fairway lies. I was surprised at how 1) how the club performed out of the rough- it reminded me of my MP67's ...just sliced through the rough. 2) the ability to hold a green. I will eventually hit these with a monitor to understand my spin numbers, but, real world shots into greens just stopped within 2-5 feet of their pitch marks.  I account this to the height I was getting with 6-PW -just towering shots. 

I was happy with the accuracy of the clubs as far hitting into greens. I tried to hit middle of green on most shots and was within 15 feet on most shots of center. My first two I hit deep as I was not prepared for the extra distance I was getting. After adjusting for that I was confident on most shots 

Working Left / Right - High / Low - My normal shot is a slight cut / fade  if I get stuck on my back foot, out of laziness, it's a snap hook. That being said I found it difficult to hit anything but a straight shot with these clubs- with time I think i'll be able to work a cut. But, I'm not complaining about point and shoot!

Working different trajectories - I found moving the ball back in my stance (slightly) and additionally choking down on the club lowered my trajectories if I wanted to lower the flight of my shots  

Also, if I wanted to take some distance off a shot I just simply choked down an inch or two. A surprise to this was I did not lose much height off the shot.  

I'll try to add my thoughts about the 4-5 iron. Hint: I like them A LOT!

That's about it for now. I'll being playing again midweek 

If you have any questions. I'll be happy to try and answer them for you

Lastly, A big thank you to @GolfWRX  and @COBRA PUMA GOLFfor this opportunity 

Edited by sailfishchris
  • Like 4

Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy with work so haven't played  my FTOL lately. Made a change on them tonight. Switched out the Lamkin Sonar midsized grips I ordered them with for what I usually play, Golf Pride tour wrap 2G.  Headed out tomorrow for a guys weekend, and will be playing 18 on Friday and Saturday in Lake Lure, NC.  Looking forward to getting them back on the course!  This will also be my first round with my new 60 degree 1 length snake bite wedge.  

PXL_20220721_014259465.MP.jpg

PXL_20220721_014331243.MP.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/13/2022 at 4:08 PM, Pack7483 said:

I did. I just got home from vacation, and mine were delivered last Thursday. At the course now waiting to tee off. Excited to report back my thoughts. I ordered mine stiff with $taper lite, and sonar midsized grips. Will post my first round thoughts and some pictures later. 

am looking to order the 22 forged Tec. I’m confused by the stock shaft. It says kbs $ taper lite stiff is 115 grams. I do see it’s parallel tip but doesn’t it mean that it’s the one length shaft weight ? A normal taper kbs $ taper lite stiff is 105 grams per kbs. The seperate one length iron option with the 115 gram parallel tip.

A fitter at pga store didn’t think the stock stiff shat was 115 grams. 

Alright, it has been about three weeks. I was waiting for the "honeymoon" phase to end. I can't say it has, and don't foresee it coming. I am surprised(?) at how consistent they are- I know that is one of the hallmarks of the One Length set but, still.... As I said originally they play (for me) a club longer. Crazy part... On par 5's- laying up, I find I'm laying up closer and having shorter wedge shots into the green. Still using my traditional Vokey's and scoring birdies more consistently. 

I went with 4-PW -I was a little alarmed with the 4 iron at first with its lower trajectory off the turf. What I've come to realize is the 5i is my new 4i distance (and I get amazing height on the shots) and the 4i is the best kept secret for teeing up on tight driving holes. Even on a par 5 I can go 4i, 6i, 9i or less to reach a par 5.

Last, once I figure out how to work my new iPhone (analog guy in a digital world). I want to post photos of my club face impacts. I think I'm a decent ball striker but the One Length's make me look downright awesome LOL! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x

On 7/21/2022 at 8:26 PM, Suprand said:

am looking to order the 22 forged Tec. I’m confused by the stock shaft. It says kbs $ taper lite stiff is 115 grams. I do see it’s parallel tip but doesn’t it mean that it’s the one length shaft weight ? A normal taper kbs $ taper lite stiff is 105 grams per kbs. The seperate one length iron option with the 115 gram parallel tip.

A fitter at pga store didn’t think the stock stiff shat was 115 grams. 

I honestly don't know. It's weird because my F9 OL had 3 different shaft weights. My set of OL FT just have shaft bands that say S and the wedges say W. Not sure what the weights are. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am still playing them in the long irons.  Trying to decide what I am going to do about the short irons, possible King Tour combo in the future.

Titleist Pro V1

I am still playing mine and still seeing the performance benefits of fade correction and super distance. Unfortunately, my bad swing habits are starting to show back up, my GIRs are back down and my scores have plateaued. Doesn't help that I can't hit a fairway to save my life with my driver. 

I am going to play a 9 hole round this week with my old irons (DBMs) and see what happens. I think the TEC iron technology has made me lazy and overly reliant on the irons to hit good shots, instead of using them to amplify good technique. My plan is to shock my system into realizing that the TEC irons don't hit the shots I am looking for by themselves by using my old irons and then going right back, possibly with a grip change. 

I am still struggling with the the PW being so strong as this is typically the club i hit most often in a round. 

53 minutes ago, adam10 said:

I am still playing mine and still seeing the performance benefits of fade correction and super distance. Unfortunately, my bad swing habits are starting to show back up, my GIRs are back down and my scores have plateaued. Doesn't help that I can't hit a fairway to save my life with my driver. 

I am going to play a 9 hole round this week with my old irons (DBMs) and see what happens. I think the TEC iron technology has made me lazy and overly reliant on the irons to hit good shots, instead of using them to amplify good technique. My plan is to shock my system into realizing that the TEC irons don't hit the shots I am looking for by themselves by using my old irons and then going right back, possibly with a grip change. 

I am still struggling with the the PW being so strong as this is typically the club i hit most often in a round. 

Might mess with the lofts a little bit to dial in the PW.  I was having the same problem and took to the LM and bent until I was hitting the yardage I wanted.  I did not ask them to tell me what it is bent to but in the PW, I need it to be a distance that I know I am going to hit.  My short irons ended up coming back a degree and kept the long where they were at.  The PW I still do not know what it is though.

Titleist Pro V1

2 hours ago, adam10 said:

i can actually see myself keeping the 4-7 in the TEC and then maybe combo-ing them with my old TM irons so i can keep my TM PW (at 46*). The low irons are so good, i don't see myself going away from them.  

That is what I am doing with mine.  The long irons are money but need something a little more consistent in the shorter.  I hit one the other day that jumped 15 yards past what it should have.  Great set of clubs, just got to find the right combination. 

Titleist Pro V1

I took the OL's on vacation with me to the Jersey Shore and played A.C. (wife's co-worker is a member) last week in a hurricane (steady 25). Played, for me, reasonably well on a course I'd never seen.  I'm still liking the clubs a lot. Some people give the look of...... Oh! Hey Bryson! But, after 3-4 holes of steady fairways and greens - it changes to- Can I give them a swing? LOL!

I've come to accept the yardage gain. Like I said previously- it depends on my driver if it's a lay up on par 5's or if I'm going for them 2.  Par 3's, I'm definitely 1 club shorter which is for me a confidence booster even if it's because of a "jacked" loft 

Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x

On 8/22/2022 at 8:25 AM, adam10 said:

I have a set of MP-30's that I take out every now and then for just this reason. Only problem is I shot one of my best back to back rounds ever last weekend with them. This game is so strange sometimes. 

I just used my DBMs in a tournament this weekend and was missing my TECs. I played pretty poorly overall but was missing the comfort of the Cobras on more holes than not- so I guess my experiment worked. I think I'll just switch out the grips so they are all the same and stick with the TECs for the remainder of the season. If I do stick with these going forward, I'm definitely going to pick up the TEC GW so fill in the hole with my wedges. 

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Cobras new irons are going to make for a nice combo set.  
Now just need to find a way to get them lol

Titleist Pro V1