How did you get into golf?

jordan2240

1989 my cousins, who were much older (my mother was an accident) came in town to visit for Christmas.  We had just moved on a golf course.  I was 9 years old.  The hole we lived on was a long par 5 with an island green.  I played the ladies tee which was 420ish with a 5 iron all the way down the fairway. Hit it on the island on my first attempt and took 3 putts for a 7 total.  I was hooked and quit all other sports almost immediately.  Still to this day I only play Golf, Golden Tee and shoot birds.  That's it. 😛   

• Like 2

Paradym TD 8° @ 9° | Paradym TD 15° | UW 19° | Honma TW747V 4-9 | Zipcore 47°/51°/55°/59° | Evnroll EV2 Armlock

Winter, early 1960's. 12 year old me being annoying around the house so Mother says "How about some time at the local YMCA for a few weeks"? Took group lessons with a bunch of other guys (either before or after pool time I can't remember)) then scraped balls into a net. Found out watching the King on the black & white was pretty exciting (except for Olympic in "66). Started hanging around local tracks with buddies to caddy and try to learn the game. Decades later and I'm still stumped but I keep coming back for more. 

• Like 2

senior year 95, my classmate asked me if  I wanted to work at a golf shop that was located across the street from his house. I said sure

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Early '70s and barely into double digit age, neighbor was cleaning out his garage and tossed some wood shafted irons on the discard pile.  Piqued my interest as we lived within 1/4 mile of two courses.  My two younger sisters and I went up to the closer of the two courses' putting green to check this game out.  The course owner came out to check on the kids with mismatched clubs and not a putter in sight.  He told us as long as we stayed out of the paying customers way, we were allowed to "practice".

I was hooked.  The other course had an executive par 3 that cost me $3 to play all day.  Ended up getting a cheap partial set of Northwesterns, taught myself to swing and eventually made varsity team (1975) at the high school.  I was working full time, so I got myself some Spalding Dot retail store clubs.  High falutin'!!

Made friends with the two brothers who humored us and owned Plumbrook Golf Course. I played there a bunch.  Their goodwill more than paid off for all parties.

• Like 4

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

22 minutes ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Early '70s and barely into double digit age, neighbor was cleaning out his garage and tossed some wood shafted irons on the discard pile.  Piqued my interest as we lived within 1/4 mile of two courses.  My two younger sisters and I went up to the closer of the two courses' putting green to check this game out.  The course owner came out to check on the kids with mismatched clubs and not a putter in sight.  He told us as long as we stayed out of the paying customers way, we were allowed to "practice".

I was hooked.  The other course had an executive par 3 that cost me $3 to play all day.  Ended up getting a cheap partial set of Northwesterns, taught myself to swing and eventually made varsity team (1975) at the high school.  I was working full time, so I got myself some Spalding Dot retail store clubs.  High falutin'!!

Made friends with the two brothers who humored us and owned Plumbrook Golf Course. I played there a bunch.  Their goodwill more than paid off for all parties.

I used to play a LOT at Plumbrook in the 80's and 90's, as well as tag along on pheasant hunts with my Dad across sch**nherr Rd before Strerling Township became Sterling Heights in 1968.

Edited by Esox

When I returned home from the Army at age 21, I found out my father had been playing every Wednesday with his friends at work the past 20 years.  I never remembered him talking about golf or seeing clubs laying around the house.  He was obsessed with Putt Putt though, and we always stopped whenever passing by one.

He gave me a garage sale set of Northwestern clubs and I started going with him 3-4 times a summer.  

It took about 4-5 years for the "obsession" to truly kick in.  I went from a handful of games a year, to a handful a month, to a handful a week.  I started practicing like crazy in an effort to beat him.  We started a weekly game and it became our thing.  Even after he retired years later and moved away, my golf craze was about improving to impress and beat him when we met up.  Usually it was a week in the spring , summer, and fall.  15-20 rounds a year to battle it out along with constant photos of scorecards to brag about.  Every vacation I took involved meeting him somewhere to golf.  Yes, the wives and kids were there too, but they were at the beach or resort when we snuck out. 

I even started recording and editing some of my rounds to send him along with commentary, lol.  

Covid took him from me last year and I just haven't found the desire to play like I used to.  My rounds were cut in half last year, and this season they've been sporadic at best.  I'm at a turning point in my life where I'm wondering if I was a true golfer or just used that as a bond between my Dad and I.  It doesn't help that I'm playing the worst I have in a very long time either.  

*edit- I'm still buying gear tho!!  

Edited by St Jimmy
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

1 hour ago, Esox said:

I used to play a LOT at Plumbrook in the 80's and 90's, as well as tag along on pheasant hunts with my Dad across sch**nherr Rd before Strerling Township became Sterling Heights in 1968.

Well, you remember Rammler GC as well then.  I caddied there a couple years when the creek flooded the course and carts were not allowed. We got to Sterling Hts in ‘69.

sch**nherr?

• Like 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

1 hour ago, Esox said:

Weird, the software keeps editing out the road name. German surnames are offensive?

It's doing the same thing to me. I tried using a completely benign word, that rhymes with tickly. Instead I had to use a word that really doesn't fit. Apparently Beavis and Butthead were the software developers.

Edited by rd1959
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, St Jimmy said:

Covid took him from me last year and I just haven't found the desire to play like I used to.

So sorry that happened.  My dad will turn 89 next month, and I've often wished he was a golfer.  I golf with a guy who is 91, and I'm sure the bond my dad and I could have developed on the course would have been incredible.

Edited by jordan2240
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Well, you remember Rammler GC as well then.  I caddied there a couple years when the creek flooded the course and carts were not allowed. We got to Sterling Hts in ‘69.

sch**nherr?

I play Rammler at least once a year, we have a work outing there. Rammler and Plumbrook are both pretty old courses. I think Plumbrook is almost 100 now? That creek is the Clinton River, gets salmon runs in the fall, steelhead, pike and walleye in the spring.

Edit, just looked it up. Rammler was founded in 1929. Plumbrook in 1927.

Edited by Esox
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Esox said:

I play Rammler at least once a year, we have a work outing there. Rammler and Plumbrook are both pretty old courses. I think Plumbrook is almost 100 now? That creek is the Clinton River, gets salmon runs in the fall, steelhead, pike and walleye in the spring.

Edit, just looked it up. Rammler was founded in 1929. Plumbrook in 1927.

Yeah, that one, the Clinton River.  lol  I remember the course pro was a retired tour pro named Max Evans.  He was old then, but a damn nice guy.  The owners at Plumbrook were Paul and Don Beaupre and they weren't very young either.  My indulgent treat after playing at Plumbrook was a burger and fries in the clubhouse diner.  Super crisp crinkle fries and a burger that I still remember to this day.  IIRC, it was about a $3 meal.

• Like 2

TM Spider GT-X putter

Lazy, hot summer morning.  12 years old.  Hanging in the street with Larry and Richard.  Richard mentioned how he played golf with his Dad the night before, for the first time.  

We were bored with no plans for the day.

An hour later, a Mom who can drive was recruited, and with Richard's pilfering of his Dad's clubs we're on the first tee at a par 3 course.  Larry and I were hooked.

I never played golf again with Richard.  But Larry and I went on to play in high school and college on the same teams.

• Like 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

8 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

I had a terrible stutter and he proceeded to give me a rash of crap about my age and was thrilled about getting the whole class laughing at me. It was humiliating. I did my best to never say a word for the next 4 years.

Good for you!  Can you imagine someone doing that today?  That PE teacher would be all over social media.

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

In the summer of 2000 the company I worked for at the time had a golf outing in a scramble format.  Back then I was totally clueless about golf and Tiger was the only golfer I heard about and didn't know what was meant by scramble.  I thought we were having scrambled eggs over over there.  

I cough a bad flu bug at the end of that day but got totally hooked at the time.  

• Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I wish I could say I was hooked immediately, but it was a much slower build for me. I remember it basically started with liking putt putt, then eventually finding a lynx 4 wood and 8 iron in our back porch, and I would hit those every once in awhile. Then Tiger happened and I went to one of his clinics and some first tee things. Eventually I got my dad's wilson k-28 blades and started playing sporadically. Filling out that set started me on my club ho ways, wedges from goodwill/garage sales. So many drivers, some from my dad, some from the $5 bin at my home course. I started out playing very infrequently, to once monthly, to once weekly, then getting a membership and playing as much as I can. Now I'm trying to find out ways to get my dad a new set of irons, without him finding out what's up and not spending a whole lot. 

• Like 2

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

Back in the early 60s a nine hole course was built in the small town in South Carolina where I lived. I took part in a clinic for kid's of the members. I learned the basics of the game and found I wasn't too bad of a player usually scoring in the mid eighties. I was mainly focused on football, basketball and track in high school but played golf occasionally between seasons. Once I was in college golf became more important and in the mid 70s it became my main hobby. I joined a club, got my handicap down to single digits and have been playing from 75 to 100 tounds a year ever since. I love the game and at the age of 72 I still  play three times a week.  I've moved up a set of tees (6900 to 6250 yds) and my index is 10.0. Like all players I'm hoping I can get that index down to a single digit this Summer. 

• Like 3