Underrated Junior Golf Tour, anyone with any info

Scores are not being reported to JGS.

There must be a reason for this. The yardage they are  playing is too short, or they pick up at double par, or other rules of golf are not being followed.

I agree with a previous comment about how this tour is not doing these kids any favors. Because they are playing the Underrated Tour, these kids are not playing the tournaments they should be playing to post scores. 

In trying to help, this tour is instead hurting these kids.

They were assembled to play, based on race. Spots were not earned because of score and not need based.

A kid we know who is playing, is being told they are the Best of the Best and they were hand selected because of their game. 

They are being told, this is the path to College and upward. 

Everyone, including College coaches, knows what this tour is.  Major fail for these kids! 

Concept of helping Junior golfers is fantastic. But this is not the way. 

Underrated is rated a major FAIL! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, John119 said:

Scores are not being reported to JGS.

There must be a reason for this. The yardage they are  playing is too short, or they pick up at double par, or other rules of golf are not being followed.

I agree with a previous comment about how this tour is not doing these kids any favors. Because they are playing the Underrated Tour, these kids are not playing the tournaments they should be playing to post scores. 

In trying to help, this tour is instead hurting these kids.

They were assembled to play, based on race. Spots were not earned because of score and not need based.

A kid we know who is playing, is being told they are the Best of the Best and they were hand selected because of their game. 

They are being told, this is the path to College and upward. 

Everyone, including College coaches, knows what this tour is.  Major fail for these kids! 

Concept of helping Junior golfers is fantastic. But this is not the way. 

Underrated is rated a major FAIL! 

I didn't realize they didn't go into JGS.  

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Seems like most of you bashing under-rated don't have a kid playing in it.  I know a boy and 2 girls playing and they obviously love it.  Should they be playing IMG instead? Maybe, but good for the kids and parents out there.  I'm still unclear how kids are actually chosen though.  I heard there were some open qualifiers to play, but as mentioned above spots were very limited and a majority of the players were literally hand picked. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, kekoa said:

Seems like most of you bashing under-rated don't have a kid playing in it.  I know a boy and 2 girls playing and they obviously love it.  Should they be playing IMG instead? Maybe, but good for the kids and parents out there.  I'm still unclear how kids are actually chosen though.  I heard there were some open qualifiers to play, but as mentioned above spots were very limited and a majority of the players were literally hand picked. 

If there's one thing I've learned since starting junior golf is that parents just need to stay in their lane.  Quit worrying about what other people are doing, don't get your panties in a bunch when a dad says their 11 year old girl hits driver 290 and stop thinking that your kids path should match anyone else's.  

Edited by leezer99
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

7 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

If there's one thing I've learned since starting junior golf is that parents just need to stay in their lane.  Quite worrying about what other people are doing, don't get your panties in a bunch when a dad says their 11 year old girl hits driver 290 and stop thinking that your kids path should match anyone else's.  

Noted.  thank you!!!

10 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

If there's one thing I've learned since starting junior golf is that parents just need to stay in their lane.  Quite worrying about what other people are doing, don't get your panties in a bunch when a dad says their 11 year old girl hits driver 290 and stop thinking that your kids path should match anyone else's.  

Complete and udder BS.  If your 11 year old daughter isn't carrying it 290 they are being left behind.  Need to get on the weight train.Bench Press Sport GIF by The World's Strongest Man

• Haha 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to give my two cents on this topic.   

Yes the regional tournaments are not being reports to JGS as an official ranked tournament.  This was a major drawback for us. We could only play in one tournament out the four regionals due to schedule conflict.   We played the last one in Tampa at the copperhead course.  My daughter had to place top 3 to get into the championship which she accomplished to get last spot. She is going to San Francisco!!! 😁  The championship should be a red carpet type of event for the players so they are super excited.  

The tournament is in it's first year so they are learning and adjusting.  I'm sure they will make some changes for next year.  

The tournament is giving the kids a great experience... pro tour like....with cool signage all around, dinner events, key note speakers, and great courses.   Overall we are very impressed with the tour and all the kids are having a great time bonding with each other and making memories.  

Picsart_22-08-12_08-49-41-712.png

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 5:52 PM, jkpgolf said:

After reading more about this. I think it's horrible!! A lot of these kids do not need a Completely Free Tournament including travel and all expenses. They were chosen not because of need or talent or being deserving of this in any way. They were chosen because of their race. Horrible!  They are being handed AJGA stars because of race. It's offensive to all. Curry is of course welcome to a tour and to pay for it all for anyone he wants but the AJGA should not condone this as only certain people can get access to the stars they are handing out. This is bad for junior golf! 

Sure they will be given the stars (few of them) and they will get to the AJ and not be able to compete.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well just an update.  The championship was held at TPC Harding Park.  It was a great event and Steph Curry and his crew did an amazing job.    Some celebs came out to support also. 

Cool story you guys would appreciate.  Collin Morikawa is on 16 green where he eagled on 2020 PGA championship. Bella finished with par.  Scotty (her HS coach) and I are geeking out since we could get Bella and Collin in a pic on 16 at TPC harding .    We ask Collin and he was good..then bella is coming off green and we asked Bella to take a pic..Collin goes "yes would love to do that if your ready.  But it's ok if you don't want to right now. We can do it later. I will be here all night".  Bella goes "Thank you, will catch up with you tonight".  Scotty and I were like 😲 😳 😲 😲 Collin that night told me.... she is a player. That is what real players do. They are focused on their game.    👀.  Very cool story and proud my daughter was in tournament mode even though it wasn't.  🤣

IMG_20220831_223326_731.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 7:08 AM, rpawly said:

Sure they will be given the stars (few of them) and they will get to the AJ and not be able to compete.

Not true.  I see a lot of the players on this tour being able to compete in AJGA.   I know for sure my girl can compete (and has got 5th and 2nd place at AJGA tourneys)  however I'm not chasing stars all over.  She does more invitationals.   I would say that ALL the players that made the championship are very good players and competitors.  

Edited by rflores2323
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 7/1/2022 at 9:47 AM, leezer99 said:

As other have said, the concept is good but the lack of transparency on who gets in & who’s getting paid invites questions on this tour.
I noticed one player on the leaderboard is a white scholarship kid who already committed to a power 5 golf schools - not sure how that’s underrated. Also, Lucky Cruz was already quite visible on social media & tournament exemptions & played at Notah Begay - certainly not underrated. 

2 hours ago, golferdad8 said:

As other have said, the concept is good but the lack of transparency on who gets in & who’s getting paid invites questions on this tour.
I noticed one player on the leaderboard is a white scholarship kid who already committed to a power 5 golf schools - not sure how that’s underrated. Also, Lucky Cruz was already quite visible on social media & tournament exemptions & played at Notah Begay - certainly not underrated. 

Even if there was transparency you'd still be judging them so what's the big deal? They're just kids playing golf. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MahalNeneng said:

Its a great tour if you have been banned from your state pga events and have limited playing ipportunities. 

Under rated

notah begay

mack champ

etc

Sounds like there's a story behind this reply. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mrshinsa said:

Never played with the kid or met the parent, but we've heard rumors.  Golf community is small indeed

Sadly this is not that uncommon common at the junior level, and they don’t realize the future negative consequences get bigger & bigger. You’re right that everyone talks but sometime out of local area coaches don’t do their homework. 

There was a top AJGA golfer & Harvard commit who often cheated, and another coach after senior year, sent some videos to Harvard & sadly nobody has heard from the player since (not even other colleges). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, golferdad8 said:

Sadly this is not that uncommon common at the junior level, and they don’t realize the future negative consequences get bigger & bigger. You’re right that everyone talks but sometime out of local area coaches don’t do their homework. 

There was a top AJGA golfer & Harvard commit who often cheated, and another coach after senior year, sent some videos to Harvard & sadly nobody has heard from the player since (not even other colleges). 

Unfortunately, I know colleges that will overlook cheating. 

• Sad 1

I am not really sure why anyone is so upset about this. What an amazing opportunity for these kids to meet successful mentors, travel with a group of other kids and get to play all over the country. Who cares if they are getting AJGA points, or aren't getting JGS rankings, or missing other events, or who qualified or how they get into UR. 

First year finished, and like all tours will probably continue to evolve but will provide other outlets in golf for some kids. Personally I would love to see my daughter end up in something like this. Give her a chance to travel like a pro, meet amazing people and create some potential great and fun experiences in golf around competitive play. 

Where's the problem in that? 

Not every kid is going to be a number one recruit or has to win serious events. Someone has to come in 25th and someone has to be the 6th player on a lower ranked D2 team. Thats fine...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bizzle80 said:

I am not really sure why anyone is so upset about this. What an amazing opportunity for these kids to meet successful mentors, travel with a group of other kids and get to play all over the country. Who cares if they are getting AJGA points, or aren't getting JGS rankings, or missing other events, or who qualified or how they get into UR. 

First year finished, and like all tours will probably continue to evolve but will provide other outlets in golf for some kids. Personally I would love to see my daughter end up in something like this. Give her a chance to travel like a pro, meet amazing people and create some potential great and fun experiences in golf around competitive play. 

Where's the problem in that? 

Not every kid is going to be a number one recruit or has to win serious events. Someone has to come in 25th and someone has to be the 6th player on a lower ranked D2 team. Thats fine...

D1 or bust, no? 🙂

Just kidding. 

Edited by Medson