Correct my rant: double bagging caddies sucks, not fancy, worse than no caddie

Just on here looking for someone to enlighten me where and why I am wrong here. I am wrong all the time so looking for why this time. 

Courses that allow or encourage caddies to double bag make the day on the course worse for everyone. It is usually higher end public courses or private courses that have caddies. But a caddie double bagging is a low end and not enjoyable experience. This is not the caddie's fault per se.

When a caddie is double bagging he has to run around and help two golfers whose shots may be far apart.

It is harder for to chat with and develop even a basic relationship with your caddie when he is busy helping 2 guys. 

I feel bad for the guy lugging around 2 bags. I know it's his job but I dont want to see a guy struggling with 2 bags while I am out trying to have fun. The empath in me cannot ignore it. 

I realize caddies make more by double bagging. I would rather pay more a single bag caddie or not use caddies at all. 

Caddies double bagging is annoying, low end and makes the round less enjoyable. 

What am I missing? Is this is any way a good thing? Please give me a heads up before I go politely complain. 

When I got Pebble Beach off my bucket list last Labor Day there was a foursome behind us with two caddies double bagging and it was uncomfortable to watch. Thankfully they were behind us so I didn't have to see it in front of me all day otherwise all of my injuries would have flared up just watching that all day lol. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ssp said:

I agree - but assume I can pay for a personal 1 bag caddie?

some courses let you pay for a 1 bag caddie. Other courses will tell you they don't have enough caddies. 

On courses where they do give the option of single or double bagging, the pricing for a single bag is less ($100 for single bag, $150 to double bag) and so caddies get annoyed and don't want to single bag. Or you feel bad and end up paying $150 anyway. 

• Like 1

I don't think you will find anyone that prefers a double bag caddie except maybe the caddies as they can make more double bagging. 

I am pretty much done with caddies at this stage. I don't mind carrying my own bag (I do it 140 times per year). So I take caddie for the course knowledge etc. I have found the caddie lately the are in my groups are not all the knowledgable and sometimes lacking in golf etiquette. I think it just a function of the labour shortage. As such I don't bother getting caddie anymore and just make sure to grab a yardage book if I don't the course. 

• Like 4

My caddy today gave me a lot of "guess" yardages when he had a laser, and talked a lot when we were addressing the ball. Glad I had my laser, but I should not have had to even use it! Waste of money, I'll carry my own next time. And, we were in carts today, so he did not carry squat!

Edited by BEND OF THE RIVER GC

Titleist TSi 2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim 2 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 65S

Callaway Epic 3 Hybrid Steelfiber stiff shaft
Ping G410 4-UW/Ping Rapture 4-UW
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

Depends on the caddie and the players. A good caddie with two good players is usually not a problem. If one or both of the players is a hacker it becomes an issue.

Regarding the post above about not wanting to take even a single bagger, I just finished a trip walking 9 rounds in 6 days. (I'll soon be 70) . I took a caddie on the morning rounds of each of the three days we played 36 holes. Those three rounds were on hilly courses (Cruden Bay, Royal Dornoch and Brora). All three caddies were great, added to my enjoyment of the rounds and preserved my energy on a pretty ambitious itinerary. The only drawback is that I tend to play worse with my a caddie as I tend to put pressure on myself to play well in front of a stranger and it has the opposite effect. The caddies also helped my playing at partners read putts, provide lines ( important the first time on a link's) and find balls in the rough. They were a very positive experience.

• Like 1

The easy solution. Ask for a caddy and offer to pay double to not carry another bag. 

Caddies at our club are well taken care of in terms of pay. But most guys are not high school or college kids. The regulars are full time. The work is 7 months and irregular. There’s no benefits. I’m guessing a good one gets 7-8 loops a week. It just does not pay the bills if they are single bagging all the time.  

So I understand why anyone would want one to carry their bag only but it’s not realistic economically. The good ones are fine doubling.  If all caddies just carried one bag, then two things would happen. First caddies would be more expensive. Second, caddies would be worse because there wouldn’t be as many good one.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TexasTurf said:

Caddies are by far the scum of the earth. Kind panhandlers, in the moment. Let them be and enjoy your golf without them.

jesus dude…

@Creedo77 @OnTheBag you’ve got a fan!!

• Haha 1

Ping G410 LST 9º | Fujikura Ventus Black 7TX

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist U500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Sik DW | BGT Stability Tour

Personally, I'd rather take a single, but there aren't enough caddies anywhere right now, save for the big resorts and the top of the line clubs. If I'm going out with a single digit or a player, I'm perfectly happy going out with one bag.

That said, I'd rather double for two 20-index players than go out with a 20 in the morning and go out with another 20 in the afternoon. You can't help players who don't want to listen, and bad players seldom listen to the caddie. I'd rather make the same money for half the mileage.

• Like 3

Caddie here and taker of caddies. 

Double bagging is worth it because it’s twice the money for about 1.5 times the amount of work. It does take most of the fun out of a loop and becomes more like work than an enjoyable round of golf. 

I think most would prefer a single but not everyone. I actually had my most enjoyable caddie experience with a shared caddie. 

If you have a double for a round…. have some patience, take an extra club around the greens, be willing to rake a bunker and enjoy being out on the golf course. If you do those things it will work better for both you and the caddie. If you really don’t want a double then talk to the caddie master and agree to pay double for a single bag. I know all caddie would be happy to do that. 

At large resorts doubling becomes standard due to number of candies. Pinehurst and Bandon don’t have enough caddies for everyone to have a single. A lot good caddies wouldn’t be happy at a place where one bag is standard because it wouldn’t be enough money for that to be their only job. 

Edited by StudentGolfer4
  • Like 3

This has come up before, but IMO it's a fundamental misalignment of expectations. We see guys with caddies on Tour and expect that's what you "get" in the player:caddie relationship. Guys who rarely play with caddies are disappointed when this is not the reality of caddie golf. But it's not. I play most of my rounds with double-bagging caddies...and vastly prefer it to a single bag.

In my experience, when a group of four has two caddies carrying double, the caddies do a good job 'doing the work' so that the players can focus on spending time with each other. Everybody is doing their thing, making the round work. IMO when you have a single bag caddie, you've got this guy who is your shadow hanging off you for four hours. I do not enjoy it at all.

My preference would be double bags --> carry my own with a forecaddie --> single bag.

• Like 1

I love the single caddie experience. Not exactly like the pros... we do more chit chat about the history of the course and about them and less club selection discourse. It's probably the first time I've used that caddie and he/she doesn't know my game. I do allow a caddie to read my putts. I have been known to share my flask with them, pre- Covid.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 2

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

16 hours ago, vallygolf said:

Im sure caddies would prefer a livable wage on a single loop.  I cant imagine they would prefer to double bag.  They do it out of necessity.  I think the sentiment is correct though.  Every experience I have had with a double loop has been inferior to my single loop outings from a service standpoint.

I am not sure what all drove the double bagging. Places I have been at, it has more been a lack of caddies than trying to get them more money. Funny thing is talking to a few caddies (by no means an exhaustive sample size), some were double bagging 18 and stopped doing 36 very often. Same money, shorter day. End result still a caddie shortage. 

57 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

Places I have been at, it has more been a lack of caddies than trying to get them more money.

A caddie at Pebble Beach, on average, makes $70,227 a year.

On 6/19/2022 at 2:31 PM, memberguest said:

Just on here looking for someone to enlighten me where and why I am wrong here. I am wrong all the time so looking for why this time. 

Courses that allow or encourage caddies to double bag make the day on the course worse for everyone. It is usually higher end public courses or private courses that have caddies. But a caddie double bagging is a low end and not enjoyable experience. This is not the caddie's fault per se.

When a caddie is double bagging he has to run around and help two golfers whose shots may be far apart.

It is harder for to chat with and develop even a basic relationship with your caddie when he is busy helping 2 guys. 

I feel bad for the guy lugging around 2 bags. I know it's his job but I dont want to see a guy struggling with 2 bags while I am out trying to have fun. The empath in me cannot ignore it. 

I realize caddies make more by double bagging. I would rather pay more a single bag caddie or not use caddies at all. 

Caddies double bagging is annoying, low end and makes the round less enjoyable. 

What am I missing? Is this is any way a good thing? Please give me a heads up before I go politely complain. 

A friend and I played a resort course once, with a double caddie.  I'm a 5 index, he was closer to 17 or 18.  I essentially never saw the caddie, he'd be on the other side of the fairway helping Steve look for his ball in the rough.  He'd walk with Steve first because of his shorter drives.  Then he'd walk across the fairway and give me the club I requested and then head back over to tend to Steve.  And Steve needed a lot more help around and on the greens.  Either go "full caddie" or no caddie at all.  That's my 2 cents. (4 cents for inflation)

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

A caddie at Pebble Beach, on average, makes $70,227 a year.

A friend and I played a resort course once, with a double caddie.  I'm a 5 index, he was closer to 17 or 18.  I essentially never saw the caddie, he'd be on the other side of the fairway helping Steve look for his ball in the rough.  He'd walk with Steve first because of his shorter drives.  Then he'd walk across the fairway and give me the club I requested and then head back over to tend to Steve.  And Steve needed a lot more help around and on the greens.  Either go "full caddie" or no caddie at all.  That's my 2 cents. (4 cents for inflation)

70k in Carmel/Monterey isn’t going far. I’m sure many of their caddies are retired or have families but if they’re single 70k is essentially a non livable wage without a multi hour commute or/and several roommates. 

I think some of us here are also comparing resort courses to traditional country clubs. A lot of members will take a caddie or even the same caddie 3 times a week and they have for the past 20 years. This is done so they have someone to carry their bag and bounce golf ideas off of. They don’t want someone to walk side by side for 18 holes. As someone else said, a lot of people think a caddie will provide the same experience they see on TV. With a single caddie you spend 4 hours with them, for better or worse. With 2 double caddies it’s a bit more like hanging out with your buddies. 

If you don’t want a double you don’t have to have one. I’m sure they are out there but I’ve yet to hear of a course that required a caddie and refuses to give someone a double. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TexasTurf said:

Caddies are by far the scum of the earth. Kind panhandlers, in the moment. Let them be and enjoy your golf without them.

comments like this prompted the phrase rather be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

btw, I know a few caddies. One making $8k/month cash working 5-6days a week

anyone complaining about double bagging hasn’t had a good caddie - or has ridiculous expectations. 

• Like 3

Ping I525 6-UW 2.0 Cushin

PING Glide 4.0 56*e10

G410 21*&25* AltaCB
G410 17* Air Speeder Plus
G410 14* Alta CB

G400 10.5 HOF Tour Light 50

Ping Sigma OSLO

Snell MTB Black

4 hours ago, pingfool said:

anyone complaining about double bagging hasn’t had a good caddie - or has ridiculous expectations. 

I caddied as a kid but was too skinny to carry double.  As an adult I'm spoiled... all my caddie experiences have been of the single-carry variety.  When I first experienced a double caddie it was less than satisfactory.  The guy did an admirable job but it just wasn't for me.  

I'll stick to single caddies.  They're focused only on you and your game.  And they're always there when you need 'em.

On 6/20/2022 at 10:25 PM, rooski said:

I caddied at Bandon for 8 years through high school and college...

Did you know the caddie "Uni-Bomber"? 

He carried for me two days at Bandon.  On the first day at Bandon Dunes I hit a brand new Titleist 8 feet into an eco-sensitive area.  It was in plain sight but he wouldn't let me go in to get it.  Said he'd be fired if he did.  That was fine... I understood.  Though I'm sure the caddie-less guys behind me quickly scooped up that shiny, once-used ball.

The next day I played Pacific Dunes, same caddie.  Only 7 golfers went out on the course that day and only one finished.  Wind was blowing hard, rain coming down sideways.  We got to the 15th tee and the Uni-Bomber said, "Why don't we just walk in?"  I told him to give me the bag and I'd carry it.  We finished... with him still carrying.  He was a funny guy and likeable enough.  I tipped him $100 in addition to the caddie fee.  It was the Christmas season.

• Like 1