2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2022 KPMG Women's PGA Championship (Jun 23-26)

14 minutes ago, HankScorpio said:

Watching GC and they have Brooke on.  Good to hear her talk about her recent equipment changes and needing the time to adjust.  Didn't know her sister was her caddie 🤣

Yeah, seems it was more stressful then I assumed, but she describing exactly what I noticing.  I bet the shaft change was after the Chevron and before the Lotte, cause since her accuracy has been pretty on the mark.  I think the fact she's gaining some distance back is the swing sync but I also bet she had to slow her swing down a few MPH and she's now starting to bring it back up.

And I'm pretty sure you wrong about the sister caddie thing.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Yeah, seems it was more stressful then I assumed, but she describing exactly what I noticing.  I bet the shaft change was after the Chevron and before the Lotte, cause since her accuracy has been pretty on the mark.  I think the fact she's gaining some distance back is the swing sync but I also bet she had to slow her swing down a few MPH and she's now starting to bring it back up.

And I'm pretty sure you wrong about the sister caddie thing.

Absolutely, it must be such a big change from choking up on your club to holding it at the end.  I think she has figured it out now.  Just got to work on the putter.

Liked it when they showed some of the redesigned holes. The 10th hole going downhill can be trouble depending on where they place the pins.  And the 11th with the split fairways will be interesting to see what the strategy is.  The left side slopes to the right down toward the creek so I can see some balls going in there like the Southern Hills 18th.

Course look sin amazing shape though

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 18majors said:

The anticipated 2022 Nelly-Jin Young rivalry has never materialized for apparent reasons.  But this week a big stake is on the line.

Nelly will take over world #1 if she wins and Jin Young finishes worse than a solo second.

Where did you see this interesting stat?   Or did you just calculate it yourself?   Possible outcomes like that are normally in our KPMG Insight reports but it isn't this week.  So good on you if you calculated it.

Edited by Golf Dino

6 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Where did you see this interesting stat?   

She'll get 100 points and just the math of that many point and where Jin Young is now, it's sounds right.  This is Math just of the top of my head and depending on the divisor for them at the end, I'm not sure where Jin Young would have to finish but it sounds right to me.  @18majors math is usually correct so I think it's  right

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stooch said:

She'll get 100 points and just the math of that many point and where Jin Young is now, it's sounds right.  This is Math just of the top of my head and depending on the divisor for them at the end, I'm not sure where Jin Young would have to finish but it sounds right to me.  @18majors math is usually correct so I think it's  right

Where it gets tricky is with the two-year rolling calculations and the reduction of points near the beginning of that 2-year rolling period.  

It is a frustration with the Rolex Rankings as it could be more transparent.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Where it gets tricky is with the two-year rolling calculations and the reduction of points near the beginning of that 2-year rolling period.  

It is a frustration with the Rolex Rankings as it could be more transparent.  

After the Shoprite, I worry about the strokes gained stats.  On the broadcast they were making fun of Brit for using the range finder on the green for one of Brooke's putts (about 30+ ft).  Morgan chimed in it was for the SG-Data and Tom in his own cheek way implied "not all caddies as diligent as Brit" lol.   I'm sure all caddies with top players make sure to get the right stats for their players but caddies who miss lots of cuts "ah? 25 ft." lol

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stooch said:

After the Shoprite, I worry about the strokes gained stats.  On the broadcast they were making fun of Brit for using the range finder on the green for one of Brooke's putts (about 30+ ft).  Morgan chimed in it was for the SG-Data and Tom in his own cheek way implied "not all caddies as diligent as Brit" lol.   I'm sure all caddies with top players make sure to get the right stats for their players but caddies who miss lots of cuts "ah? 25 ft." lol

Red herring when it comes to the shortcomings of the Rolex Ranking system.    

But I do appreciate your point regarding some caddies just "eye-balling" it and its effect on the proximity to the hole stats.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Red herring when it comes to the shortcomings of the Rolex Ranking system.    

But I do appreciate your point regarding some caddies just "eye-balling" it and its effect on the proximity to the hole stats.

Sure, but I personally don't sweat the rankings.  The depreciation I don't think is that big of a factor and I'm more in line with the ranking being front load, I don't like seeing a player have a great year, then an average one and tumble like a rock when all the good events drop off, it's like that in tennis.  Bianca A. was injured and also took some time off at the start of the season and a former top 10 player in 2020 and US Open winner in 2019, need invites to get into events a couple months ago. 

But yes I get the frustration of not knowing the formula used, I feel the same way about algorithm that manipulate me on the internet lol

• Like 1

Watched Brooke's interview on the Golf Channel. Interesting to hear about her testing with Ping. I wasn't worried about her switching equipment, as that usually just takes time. My biggest worry was the rule change with the new driver length and how she grips the club. Seems like she's been able to overcome any difficulties and embracing the new rule.

On a completely unrelated note: Does anyone know if any of the ladies will be using the new Titleist driver this week?

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

On 6/20/2022 at 8:02 PM, Stooch said:

But for the winner I'm bouncing  back and forth between Hye-Jin Choi and Hannah Green.  I know last week I was Hye-Jin was getting tired I still think she is but this is it, she a break after this event.  And one of my favorite stat to predict an LPGA winner during the season is a sub-70 scoring it is uncanny at predicting LPGA winners and besides SYP 5 of the last 6 winners have been 1sr time  Major winners.  I like Hannah too cause she likes this event as a past champ and it should inspired good play and when Hannah is on she can keep up with anybody.

I was thinking Hye Jin myself. But, got that feeling it might be a dark horse winner. I'll jinx someone tomorrow...😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Driving the ball won’t be that difficult this week and the rough isn’t too long right now. The green complexes are some of the most challenging I’ve seen and the slopes rival Augusta, though they’re not fast. The biggest thing is that because the course is so long, it will be very difficult to hit the right section of the greens. Unless they move there feed up, I wouldn’t be surprised if the par 3 2nd and par 4 15th end up being among the hardest holes in major history.

Edited by Yellow Jacket
  • Like 4

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

2 minutes ago, Yellow Jacket said:

Driving the ball won’t be that difficult this week and the rough isn’t too long right now. The green complexes are some of the most challenging I’ve seen and the slopes rival Augusta, though they’re not fast. The biggest thing is that because the course is so long, it will be very difficult to hit the right section of the greens. Unless they move there feed up, I wouldn’t be surprised if the par 3 2nd and par 4 15th end up being among the hardest holes in major history.

Greens that slope front to back are poor designs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Greens that slope front to back are poor designs.

I should have taken a picture from short of the green but here’s 15 zoomed in, the green on the right. The uphill 2nd shot doesn’t look that bad here but it is completely blind, likely from a downhill lie, to a 2 tier green where the back tier is lower than the front. Behind the green are narrow bunkers well below the level of the green, and beyond that is a hill down to the pond. Anything that lands on the green is likely to run over, so players will have to land the ball short of the green and chase it on, which is at least doable since the fairway slopes down to the green. However, if the pin is tucked on the right AND the tees are not moved way up, the hole will play close to a full stroke over par. 

UoYz2aq.jpg

• Like 4

716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

7 minutes ago, Yellow Jacket said:

I should have taken a picture from short of the green but here’s 15 zoomed in, the green on the right. The uphill 2nd shot doesn’t look that bad here but it is completely blind, likely from a downhill lie, to a 2 tier green where the back tier is lower than the front. Behind the green are narrow bunkers well below the level of the green, and beyond that is a hill down to the pond. Anything that lands on the green is likely to run over, so players will have to land the ball short of the green and chase it on, which is at least doable since the fairway slopes down to the green. However, if the pin is tucked on the right AND the tees are not moved way up, the hole will play close to a full stroke over par. 

UoYz2aq.jpg

Thanks for the pics.  I caddied two summers at Congressional 30 years ago.  I hardly recognize it today.  Far fewer trees than I remember.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Yellow Jacket said:

UoYz2aq.jpg

On 6/20/2022 at 7:04 PM, Yellow Jacket said:

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fgolf-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpga%2F7e%2F8b%2F1a58a7844098a4676dbb4f15ad5d%2Fkpmg-06-06-22-0233.JPG

2022 KPMG Women's PGA Championship

June 23-26, 2022

Congressional Country Club (Blue Course), Bethesda, MD

https://www.kpmgwomenspgachampionship.com/

Race to the CME Globe: 650 Points

Format: 72 holes

Purse: $4,500,000

Par: 72

History: This event began in 1955 and is one of the five majors on the LPGA Tour.

Yardage: 6,831

Korda added a glittering trophy to the family jewels, making her sixth victory the KMPG Women’s PGA Championship. In doing so, she reached No. 1 in the Rolex Rankings, the first American to do so since Stacy Lewis in 2014. Nelly Korda’s 19-under-par 269 was three strokes better than Lizette Salas.

TV Coverage (ET)

Thu/Fri: 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Golf Channel

Sat/Sun: 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. NBC

@Yellow Jacket thanks for the info & photos.
Is there a hole-by-hole course guide that you'd recommend for this tournament?

i found the tournament website has some hole-by-hole info

(here: https://www.kpmgwomenspgachampionship.com/congressional-country-club )

...albeit only a single "desktop wallpaper" style photo & an accompanying blurb (i.e. can't really see the hole layout etc ... Your descriptions = way more informative!)

I found the Spectators' Guide/ Mobile App = Does a better job w.r.t. course layout (albeit with some other quirks/compromises for the small screens of mobile devices)

Linked here: https://www.kpmgwomenspgachampionship.com/spectatorguide#mobileapp 
(download for iphone/iOS or Google Play)

..p/s: For time being, i'm using this video game course guide as a reference. (seems to align ok... e.g. Hole #15 = 440 yards; at timestamp ~37m45s)

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

So basically whoever is playing well and gets lucky all 4 days on 15 wins.  Very little skill playing a blind shot to a green that slopes away.  Especially from distance.  Mickey Mouse golf.

I don’t think it’s quite that bad but it will be very challenging if they don’t move up the tees. If you hit a fade and run it on links style, you’ll be fine. There will be some guesswork involved with picking a starting line, but players should have a decent idea of where they can land the ball to get it to feed based on their practice rounds.

716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

2 minutes ago, Yellow Jacket said:

I don’t think it’s quite that bad but it will be very challenging if they don’t move up the tees. If you hit a fade and run it on links style, you’ll be fine. There will be some guesswork involved with picking a starting line, but players should have a decent idea of where they can land the ball to get it to feed based on their practice rounds.

I bet Leona will play that hole well.