Augusta National golf club - 2023

PracticeSwinger

• 4 months later...

So - 545ish?

It’ll be interesting to see what they did to the corner of the dogleg, and who gets an invitation as well.

Thanks for update.

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

A friend of mine got to play Augusta this past week in some sort of corporate event.  Very jealous.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

12 hours ago, GoTime said:

played last week, looking great and some dramatic changes

I had to cancel my tee time. I had some executive orders to make at the White House. 

• Haha 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

23 hours ago, Cali_Stinger77 said:

Where does this friend work??

He is a recognizable corporate CEO.  I don't think he would want his name or company involved in this thread.  He is a great guy, very successful but in knowing him, I have directly seen what a boys club these upper echelon's are.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)

5 minutes ago, Mob said:

He is a recognizable corporate CEO.  I don't think he would want his name or company involved in this thread.  He is a great guy, very successful but in knowing him, I have directly seen what a boys club these upper echelon's are.

Good for him! I By chance how often does Augusta host corporate events? I assume only companies which have a relationship w the Masters are allowed (IBM, AT&T, etc)

Just now, Cali_Stinger77 said:

Good for him! I By chance how often does Augusta host corporate events? I assume only companies which have a relationship w the Masters are allowed (IBM, AT&T, etc)

I'm not sure how any of it works.  I don't even know how many people were there.  They stayed in the cabins on property.   I don't really ask specifics, as these clubs, particularly Augusta, don't really want any of this information out there.  He was invited by another well known CEO who is a member.  He has had a good golfing year, as he also played in a member-guest event at Cypress Point this year.

What I have learned is that there is a group of top level Fortune 100 CEO's who love golf and collect memberships like baseball cards.  They all get each other into these clubs, so they all belong to anywhere from 2-10 of the top 20 clubs in the country.  A very different world.  

• Like 1

LEFT HANDED

Mixed emotions about this rebuild. Feels like putting an enormous efforts on a small bruise when there is a nasty gash just nearby. 13 aint exactly the hole that is the dullest on the back nine as it is. Few people can remember memorable shots on 14, 17 and 18 save putts that could be made on any course and those holes have nothing of the beauty of the 13th. 

still, those holes do not really suffer from the length increases of the top pros. 14 and 17 will require precise approaches to get easy putts and the tee shot on 18 is not so much about length. 13 is admittedly a hole that requires lenght for the top pros to produce an optimal arena for Patrons and TV watcher experience.. I do look forward to see how the 13th tee shot will come out in coming masters tornament, 

still, its a drag that the roars enhanced by course design ends at the 16th green.

Edited by Hankshank
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hankshank said:

Mixed emotions about this rebuild. Feels like putting an enormous efforts on a small bruise when there is a nasty gash just nearby. 13 aint exactly the hole that is the dullest on the back nine as it is. Few people can remember memorable shots on 14, 17 and 18 save putts that could be made on any course and those holes have nothing of the beauty of the 13th. 

still, those holes do not really suffer from the length increases of the top pros. 14 and 17 will require precise approaches to get easy putts and the tee shot on 18 is not so much about length. 13 is admittedly a hole that requires lenght for the top pros to produce an optimal arena for Patrons and TV watcher experience.. I do look forward to see how the 13th tee shot will come out in coming masters tornament, 

still, its a drag that the roars enhanced by course design ends at the 16th green.

…but just envision on Sunday, the leader has to hit driver out to the corner and then have to make a go-no-go decision with a 5-wood in his hand. That would much more dramatic than easy 3-wood off the tee with a 6-iron in to the green.

• Like 4

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM9 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

39 minutes ago, mat562 said:

The only worry I have with the new tee is that it potentially takes the straight tee shot that goes through the fairway into the pine straw out of play, and removes the requirement to shape the ball from the tee to fit into the driving area. Like the bunkers on 18 which went from being real hazards to effectively being out of play when the tess were pushed right back, it may actually make the tee shot easier - even if it takes a driver to get to the corner instead of a 3-wood.

we'll see ... might be they're still missing wide right into the straw ... i don't think driver was always the choice of club once the ball got longer ... but it could be more shots in the fairway, so more decisions to be made over a harder shot ... 

#13 at previous 510 yardage
4F254EF4-82CD-4D0D-9E1C-EFC4F9056D10.jpeg.1e57c4af3cd4afdd9810bd3c25b32406.jpeg

Online someone mentioned 545 yards as the new yardage. And it looks like they could go back quite a bit more in the future if needed. Here are 2 measurements from around where the new tee would be. 300 puts you at the corner with an open shot. If you can hit longer, you will need to have it working right to left. I assume carrying the trees on the left is no longer possible(?) In the past, this area of the corner had a pretty severe slope putting the ball well above your feet (for a rightie), and led to most guys laying up from this distance (235 to center). Other photos of the construction showed adjustments made to this specific area of the dogleg. After all, this hole - and 15 - have been a big part of the “drama” with it’s heroic design - a risk/reward second shot. It’s a tricky shot as it can mean aiming at trouble - the creek right of the green - which breaks Jack’s admonition to not aim at trouble. Therefore many have speculated a less severe slope was needed to entice the player to “go for it.” We shall see.

2D0B674D-08AA-4B31-BC55-FBAC571BBF70.jpeg.3b6b336cef5ba36ea74806cde16f91bc.jpegBAB1508F-0170-49F0-9268-75B33A985D35.jpeg.3f7c7dbeb490b3e5018dcfd6f4fa7abf.jpeg

• Like 2

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

one of the interesting shots of jack's '86 win - and anyone who has not watched that final round 100 times really should get on it - is his 2nd into the 13th ... he pulled his drive (think it was a 3 wood, and he had to have pulled it) and was only several yards from the creek, though an almost perfectly flat lie ... 1:10 mark or so ... the hole was only 465 at the time, so maybe the yardage they added after tiger (or whenever) made it more difficult to get that close to the creek, but you have to think jack did not want to be that close ... 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cali_Stinger77 said:

It was time to add some length to 13. 3 wood 6 iron is not how that par 5 was meant to be played

Are you saying MacKenzie created the hole with an intent to dissuade the use of 3 wood and 6 iron?   

If so, how do you know?

All this time I thought the player could choose what clubs to play.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

All this time I thought the player could choose what clubs to play.  

Eleanor Iselin thought the same. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

On 6/23/2022 at 9:06 AM, Shilgy said:

I thought I read they were taking it to 530 from 510….not 560.  With the slope they’re hitting into at 560 at least half the field would be forced to lay up.  The old guys would have to hit a tee shot…chip up to the corner….lay up….on in 4.

What is wrong with that?  Seems like the razor's edge you want to force a decision.  You will have a group of players right in the middle where going for it is possible but a gamble.  Any absolute play is not ideal in my mind whether it is an absolute no-brainer to lay up or to go for it.

On 6/25/2022 at 10:23 PM, baitdragger said:

Would Love to see ANGC annual seed bill

also would be a cool tv show on the under turf airway system

You don't talk about Fight Club.

On 11/26/2022 at 8:17 PM, Mob said:

I'm not sure how any of it works.  I don't even know how many people were there.  They stayed in the cabins on property.   I don't really ask specifics, as these clubs, particularly Augusta, don't really want any of this information out there.  He was invited by another well known CEO who is a member.  He has had a good golfing year, as he also played in a member-guest event at Cypress Point this year.

What I have learned is that there is a group of top level Fortune 100 CEO's who love golf and collect memberships like baseball cards.  They all get each other into these clubs, so they all belong to anywhere from 2-10 of the top 20 clubs in the country.  A very different world.  

You don't talk about Fight Club.

12 hours ago, MUNIGRIT said:

I love a good 3 shot par 5. Makes for some very conservative boring golf.

See first comment.  

Zach Johnson won the thing playing them all that way.

I got no problem with a guy going for it in two and ending up in a bunker or wrong side of the green and scrambling a bit for birdie or par.  And no problem with a guy hitting a 70 yard shot to five feet for birdie.  Guys playing within their own games and what the course allows them to do.  (I should add I also have no problem with a guy going for it in two and making eagle when he executes and the guy laying up making seven when he makes a mess.)

• Like 2

Meh again.  I’ve made my feelings known on page one. Another of the most exciting holes, along with 15,  in golf reduced to a three shotter for most. 

Just like no one , other than maybe some WRX fanatics here, can recall any memorable shot of Zach Johnson’s journey through Augusta’s par fives on his winning year, there are none of the spine tingling, wave-like roars of the crowd on Sunday for a par. Even a birdie on 13 or 15 seems just a little anticlimactic.  

You’ll never hear a “better than most” call for a perfect layup to wedge distance. 

(might be a good thing)😀

Edited by Duct Tape

• PracticeSwinger changed the title to Augusta National golf club - 2023