Volunteering, and the LIV tour... (*** TOPIC MODERATED ***)

manku

• GwrxMod changed the title to Volunteering, and the LIV tour... (*** TOPIC MODERATED ***)
1 minute ago, Llortamaisey said:

Nothing has changed for the PGA. They have always been scummy. The charity thing was just a tax avoidance scheme by the PGA to make more money. Very little went to charity, especially when you compare it to how much the executives at the PGA Tour make. Real charities have execs that make very little money while the vast majority of their profits go to charity.

Now that the gig is up, the PGA will have have to turn to alternative tax avoidance schemes like the NFL and MLB did when they gave up their charity tax status. Don’t worry about them, they’re not going to start cutting their own grass. 

You're exactly right and this is why they've been slow to respond.  The answer is to completely change the way they've done business since their inception.  No other sport is set up as a charity and if they PGA is going to compete they would need scrap that and contract their employees.  Part of that is rather than getting a bunch of volunteers to work the tournaments you hire people for the week.  

You're worth what the market is willing to pay you. I don't believe the players getting paid by LIV is a true market; it's buying credibility and accepting massive losses.  But they chose golf because they saw a vulnerable entity due to an antiquated business model that would not be able to quickly adapt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bvmagic said:

I always thought it was weird that volunteers have to pay to work an event.  If someone is willing to work full day shifts at an event, the least they can do is cover your food / clothing.  

I have run some committees for Champions and PGAT and we experimented with covering cost of uniforms one year and had a terrible no show rate. People were signing up and using uni as free entrance or getting a couple nice shirts and a windbreaker for free. There are ways to prob do it with reimbursements but that would lositically be a lot more intensive. Right now we have a title sponsor giving paid time off to volunteer and the no show rate is awful and the attitude they have is I don't want to work a full shift - i'll watch golf awhile. I don't like it we charge but its more than a monetary issue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, tatertot said:

Every time you fill up your car with $5.00+ gas, a little goes to the LIV golfer's pocket ... so you're doing your part.

Got rid of both ICE cars in the last twelve months and now only drive electric!  

No gas for me.  At least not directly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bvmagic said:

I always thought it was weird that volunteers have to pay to work an event.  If someone is willing to work full day shifts at an event, the least they can do is cover your food / clothing.  

This was one of the reasons I quit volunteering at The Players.   Ever increasing costs and decreasing benefits year after year

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Llortamaisey said:

Real charities have execs that make very little money while the vast majority of their profits go to charity.

I used to golf with the top execs from the United Way.   They were VERY HIGHLY paid.   They also never missed attending a Super Bowl.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, manku said:

I volunteer every year at Riviera (also at the USGA events there and LACC).  I've signed up for the US Open next year too, despite it's obscene price tag.

I've always been conflicted about paying to work an event where everyone else is making money...but I have a good time, am on a great committee, it's right by my kids school or 10 minutes from home, and enjoy the week.  FWIW, it appears that volunteering for LIV events is "free"...but you don't even get a shirt, just a bib and hat! (at least for Bedminster event).  And the LIV events don't appear to be connected to any charity.

But now that many of the PGA players have shown their true colors (it's all about the Benjamins, baby!), I'm not so sure I want to participate in the future.  Rumors about increasing prize pools is great for players/caddies/agents, but irrelevant to me.  It's almost like they're giving the $25 million CEO a raise, while doing nothing for the rank and file workers.   What else is new, right?

This may be the tipping point for me where I stop volunteering...I can't be the only one?

I volunteered one time, in 2008 for the PGA Championship in Michigan. I live a couple of hours away and found out that there were Oakland Hills members in the area that couldn't get assignments. So in that respect, it was a bit of a perk. I received a nice hat and several shirts in the deal, plus food and drink vouchers. I was also able to buy a nice jacket with the PGA logo which I still have, but unfortunately no longer fits. I've had people tell me I was stupid for doing it, for the money reason, but it was a experience of a lifetime.

Would I do it again, probably not...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

This is entirely inaccurate, most companies will give rank and file workers a 1-2% raise, a 100$ gift card to Amazon, or a company BBQ with a max of 2 hamburgers per person after giving the CEO a 25M bonus

And the progressive companies will give their employees a free t shirt for spirit day

• Haha 1

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Fuji Ventus Blue 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Bridgestone Tour B XS

6 minutes ago, khalespace said:

2.3% of US oil consumption comes from Saudi Arabia. It's not as much as you think.

That's still almost 1 million barrels A DAY ... and OPEC is the group dictating prices.

Edited by tatertot

Driver: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5*

4I: Cleveland Launcher UHX, 20*
5I-GW: Titleist 718 AP1, 24*-48*
SW: Ping Glide 2.0 ES, 56*

LW: TaylorMade Tour Preferred ATV, 60*
Putter: Flanigan Designed By 35"
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag: Ping Mascot

3 hours ago, manku said:

Got rid of both ICE cars in the last twelve months and now only drive electric!  

No gas for me.  At least not directly.

Best thing I saw was a Tesla in my area that had a license plate that said "Coal Pwred".   I can appreciate the recognition that their "green" efforts still come from some type of fossil fuel and in this case, one that isn't considered "green".

With that said, I've contemplated an EV for the wife so we have at least 1 vehicle that has the flexibility of long transit and another that is on the grid.  Play the energy game...at some point, you'd think gas prices will go down likely when more EV's and hybrids are on the road and reduce the overall demand for gas.  

Edited by Skaffa77
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, MUNIGRIT said:

Links? More than one please.

I'm sure others have good sources, but I used to work in the shipment of crude oil and had to learn the joys of well price vs WTI/Brent, crack spreads, etc.

For your question...EIA has a lot of great data available to the public...this one is crude oil imports by country of origin.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_ep00_im0_mbbl_a.htm

This isn't a complete picture as it's just the crude oil imports.  You'd likely have to match up against annual crude oil consumption/demand to get a clear picture of how much of OPEC/Saudi Arabia's crude oil the US uses.

Edited by Skaffa77
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Golfer4Life said:

I'll be that guy waving at you while you wait for some EV charger or road assistance, 😆 

EV's don't do anything for the environment and they can't even figure out yet how to dispose of those batteries.

I think the more interesting thing is that there isn't enough raw materials (actual lithium mines) for batteries to support the expected demand.   I'm curious to see what happens to EV pricing as core raw material prices continue to go up and bottlenecks in supply are experienced.

• Like 3

Just now, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

The global market will always determine the price, no matter how much is sourced in North America, since it's a global commodity. 

The difference is that OPEC can source their oil so much easier and cheaper than most other global sources.  So when OPEC reduces their production, it almost instantly increases the price.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skaffa77 said:

I think the more interesting thing is that there isn't enough raw materials (actual lithium mines) for batteries to support the expected demand.   I'm curious to see what happens to EV pricing as core raw material prices continue to go up and bottlenecks in supply 

And everyone in the United States can afford a 60k vehicle.

🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”