Volunteering, and the LIV tour... (*** TOPIC MODERATED ***)

manku

14 hours ago, manku said:

FWIW, it appears that volunteering for LIV events is "free"...but you don't even get a shirt, just a bib and hat! (at least for Bedminster event).  And the LIV events don't appear to be connected to any charity.

This is what you get for volunteering at the LIV Portland event. The best perk is you get a round at Pumpkin Ridge if you work fulfill three shifts. 

-A weekly credential and commemorative lanyard for the event

-Complimentary food and beverages on the days you volunteer

-Volunteer Bib that you will wear over your own clothing while on duty. You will receive your bib before each shift when you check-in at Volunteer HQ

-Volunteer tote bag

-Volunteer headwear (baseball hat, visor, or sun hat)

-Complimentary parking 

-Incentives based on how many volunteer shifts you fulfill

Volunteer Gifts

As a thank you for your time and commitment for being a tournament volunteer, you will receive a gift after the tournament.

-All volunteers that fulfill at least one shift will receive a tournament logoed golf towel

-All volunteers that fulfill three shifts will also receive a round of golf on the Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club (Ghost Course). 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, bvmagic said:

I always thought it was weird that volunteers have to pay to work an event.  If someone is willing to work full day shifts at an event, the least they can do is cover your food / clothing.  

When I volunteered at the 2014 Ryder Cup we had to pay however, the reasoning was that we got a lot of kit and worked a half day shift (although in the end I worked none - long story) but the main reason we were given was that at the 2010 Ryder Cup, they had a lot of guys volunteer who turned up at the start of the week got their grounds passes and kit and were then never seen again at least in a volunteering sense. From that perspective I can understand.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

In my town, we have had a smaller PGAT event that transitioned into a Champions event. Most of the volunteers were members of local groups (Lions Clubs, Rotary, etc). The tournament organizer, as opposed to the PGAT, would donate money to the groups or their causes. The volunteers did as a contribution to their organizations and for a sense of community pride.  Not sure how the Saudis are setting up their events. However, they obviously have the cash and I don’t see why they don’t pay the “volunteers” .

21 hours ago, bvmagic said:

I always thought it was weird that volunteers have to pay to work an event.  If someone is willing to work full day shifts at an event, the least they can do is cover your food / clothing.  

Most such events are run the same way so it is not unique to the PGA Tour. You get to pay for your logoed clothing and other things provided to you at the event, plus of course you get to attend. It may be discounted and at or below cost, but the payment is a way to reinforce commitment to taking part and doing the job that you signed up for. Nothing unusual there.

Is there any information how the course setup will be at Pumpkin Ridge?  I have played Ghost Creek several times and really like that course.  I have never been fortunate enough to play Witch Hollow but have seen it on TV when the US Amateur and Ladies US Open were played there.  It will be interesting to see how the golfers do with the course.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

50 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

You are correct about it's 501(c)(6) status, but that is not how the PGA Tour, or the Media involved with the PGA Tour, is portrayed. 

That's what makes it such a good scam.

"The Tour only made direct charitable contributions of $42.7 million in 2018, which is a paltry 3% of their $1.47 billion in revenue. While the Tour publicly takes credit for $190 million in charity, that inflated number reflects the total given by the tour and the local non-profits that put on the tournaments."

https://www.realclearmarkets.com/articles/2021/12/22/lets_stop_pretending_that_the_pga_tour_is_a_charity_808930.html

Are financial statements available for the tour? What are their expenses? Where does the 1.47B in revenue go? Are those "upset" about the tour finances also upset about general corporate tax rates? Expanded pass throughs?  To be fair, the tour does facilitate a lot of tax revenue. Golfers making millions pay a lot of taxes.

And the point some keep going on about wrt to Saudi oil is pretty silly...paying for gasoline is not voluntary for 99% of us.  Supporting a golf tour is.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

When I volunteered at the 2014 Ryder Cup we had to pay however, the reasoning was that we got a lot of kit and worked a half day shift (although in the end I worked none - long story) but the main reason we were given was that at the 2010 Ryder Cup, they had a lot of guys volunteer who turned up at the start of the week got their grounds passes and kit and were then never seen again at least in a volunteering sense. From that perspective I can understand.

I'm volunteering at the Women's PGA Championship this week. I had to pay $130 plus taxes and fees to volunteer, but we got a Nike hat that's probably about $30, a Nike polo that had a $65 tag, and a Nike jacket that I think had a tag of around $85? We've already had no shows and people cancel after picking up their gear and access badge, so I can definitely see it being a problem when you have up to 2,000 volunteers for an event. We get meal and water bottle vouchers--personally I'd like to see unlimited vouchers here since food and water costs the event almost nothing.

• Like 2

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

14 minutes ago, Yellow Jacket said:

I'm volunteering at the Women's PGA Championship this week. I had to pay $130 plus taxes and fees to volunteer, but we got a Nike hat that's probably about $30, a Nike polo that had a $65 tag, and a Nike jacket that I think had a tag of around $85? We've already had no shows and people cancel after picking up their gear and access badge, so I can definitely see it being a problem when you have up to 2,000 volunteers for an event. We get meal and water bottle vouchers--personally I'd like to see unlimited vouchers here since food and water costs the event almost nothing.

They could possibly charge the fee up front, but then reimburse volunteers based on how many hours they put in.  Have a tiered system where put in a minimum of say X amount of hours you get partial refund, then if you work the full schedule you are assigned you get full refund.  So that way you are covering for your no show's that take the gear and leave but still reward the volunteers that put in their time.  I understand that will take a lot more work to track, but there should be solutions to reward the volunteers that put in their full time versus the ones that don't show up at all.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, imakaveli said:

Making volunteers pay is pathetic.

They buy a uniform so it's not quite as pathetic as it seems.  If they paid positions traditionally worked by volunteers they'd either have to increase revenue (how) or take money from somewhere else.  That would leave the money hungry players with less money for themselves.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

They buy a uniform so it's not quite as pathetic as it seems.  If they paid positions traditionally worked by volunteers they'd either have to increase revenue (how) or take money from somewhere else.  That would leave the money hungry players with less money for themselves.

It doesn't make sense to pay volunteers as it's just for a week, and many only work a day or two. Also having them pay with perks helps guarantee they show up, would paying decrease the number of no shows?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

C'mon the cost to provide a polo or two and a hat for volunteers is nothing.  They aren't paying anywhere close to retail prices for the apparel and they are getting people to work who don't expect a paycheck, covering their uniform for the week is the least they could do.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tacklingdummy said:

This is what you get for volunteering at the LIV Portland event. The best perk is you get a round at Pumpkin Ridge if you work fulfill three shifts. 

-Volunteer Bib that you will wear over your own clothing while on duty. You will receive your bib before each shift when you check-in at Volunteer HQ

-Volunteer tote bag

-Complimentary parking 

Volunteer Gifts

As a thank you for your time and commitment for being a tournament volunteer, you will receive a gift after the tournament.

-All volunteers that fulfill at least one shift will receive a tournament logoed golf towel

-All volunteers that fulfill three shifts will also receive a round of golf on the Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club (Ghost Course). 

I wonder what the gift is at the end? $$ Gas Card $$ ?

• Haha 2

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

1 hour ago, Yellow Jacket said:

Is the Nike gear is blood money?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT

1 hour ago, Yellow Jacket said:

I had to pay $130 plus taxes and fees to volunteer, but we got a Nike hat that's probably about $30, a Nike polo that had a $65 tag, and a Nike jacket that I think had a tag of around $85?

that's great.  but did you want any of that stuff?

making volunteers pay, and then offsetting that with "hey here's some clothes" just seems crappy

• Like 4

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

5 minutes ago, ChipStrokes said:

making volunteers pay, and then offsetting that with "hey here's some clothes" just seems crappy

I think that might be called “growing the game”

• Like 1

Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT

1 hour ago, bcjim said:

Are financial statements available for the tour? What are their expenses? Where does the 1.47B in revenue go? Are those "upset" about the tour finances also upset about general corporate tax rates? Expanded pass throughs?  To be fair, the tour does facilitate a lot of tax revenue. Golfers making millions pay a lot of taxes.

And the point some keep going on about wrt to Saudi oil is pretty silly...paying for gasoline is not voluntary for 99% of us.  Supporting a golf tour is.

I don't think you know what "voluntary" means.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ChipStrokes said:

No one's forcing them to pay. Obviously a lot of people are willing to do so, if that wasn't the case then they'd have to figure out a different way.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tacklingdummy said:

-Volunteer tote bag

-Complimentary parking 

Volunteer Gifts

Any idea where I can find similar information on the Chicago event?

3 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Ya lol, seems like there’s plenty of folks happy to do it. 

Id like to “volunteer” and do security, take care of the bababooeys.  

I do it for free and bring my own crew and roam the grounds like

🤣

DBC1313C-B272-41A0-B1C9-C9BED00B8CF4.jpeg

Some friends of mine volunteered every year at the Deuts.....err.....Dell playoff event when it was at TPC Boston (RIP). They loved it because they knew the guy giving out the assignments and usually they got a nice one, like doing the Shotlink tracking on #16. And I liked it because they would give me their free passes to go to the tournament on Th/Fr. 😆

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jdl said:

Some friends of mine volunteered every year at the Deuts.....err.....Dell playoff event when it was at TPC Boston (RIP). They loved it because they knew the guy giving out the assignments and usually they got a nice one, like doing the Shotlink tracking on #16. And I liked it because they would give me their free passes to go to the tournament on Th/Fr. 😆

Nice! Ya I can see how people would be into doing this type of thing. 

I think @TiScape does Shotlink for an event. He seems to really enjoy.  Right TiS?

• Like 1