Dont trade in your old clubs

MtlJeff

I have pulled the 'ol Nickent 1 Hybrid out a time or two when the course was hard and fast.  I always hit it straight and it rolls forever.  I am sure a new driving iron may do the same, but that would take time, energy, and money.  Sometimes the old reliable needs to be put in play.  

Don't even get me started on putters...

• Like 2

I try to have 1 backup set and some miscellaneous clubs to swap out depending on conditions/shiggles. Operative word there is try. I have 2 backup drivers, my Cleveland VAS irons, a set of hybrids that my dad gave me, a 52° and 56°, and a backup putter. I don't really have any fairway woods, but some low lofted hybrids that could probably suffice.

Once I get my new Clevelands I'll probably sell the VAS, but I'll keep the 3 iron for my display board. 

• Like 2

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

On 6/23/2022 at 4:25 PM, BIG STU said:

LOL you guys are discovering what I have known for years and there in lies the problem. I never get rid of anything. I still have clubs I had 50 years ago. Never know when you may need something you hit 50 years ago. Recently I dragged out a Hogan "Special PI" that I played back in the 80s. One of the good things being old retired and do not play comps or keep a stipulated handicap any more  is the fact I can play what I darn well please regardless of what the USGA says. My wife is a saint as in she never says anything about my stuff even though I will admit it has gotten out of hand. Yep keep the old stuff you never know when you will have to back up and punt

The growing of the collection lets her know you are still alive?

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

The growing of the collection lets her know you are still alive?

I have quelled my hoeing habits some in the last 2 1/2 years since I got hurt. I have not been to any Goodwills , yard sales or the scrapyard I worked at since I got hurt. I had planned as part of my retirement to clean out the herd. I have sold and gave away some stuff but it is a drop in the bucket. I did purchase via FB one Wedge I had wanted and did a trade deal with a member on here where I actually traded him 3 drivers for one driver I had been wanting for years. It is a work in progress

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Simple, when the course I play doesn't take care of bunkers, we don't play them. Just take the ball out and chip from beside the bunker. Why should you be penalized for poor maintenance?

• Like 2

Ping G 10*- 44.5" Adjusted to 11*
Ping i3OS 4 thru UW
Cobra SS 5 wood

Cobra Speed LD 15* 3 Wood
Titleist Vokey 56* -SW
Ping Redwood- 34"
Callaway Supersoft

Great rule that I often quote from LB Floyd “Never, ever, ever get rid of a reliable fairway wood”

He may have used some other descriptors in that particular conversation that could offend those with delicate sensibilities 😂

Edited by Mitchell
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

I never sell my old wedges, but I will sell iron sets.  More often than not, when I change irons it's a "lateral move".  I usually don't go into something significantly different that the preceding set, so it usually doesn't make much sense to hold on to them once I'm comfortable/confident that the new set is staying in the bag.  After that, they're sold. 

3 hours ago, Mitchell said:

Great rule that I often quote from LB Floyd “Never, ever, ever get rid of a reliable fairway wood”

He may have used some other descriptors in that particular conversation that could offend those with delicate sensibilities 😂

3 woods and lob wedges LOL

I have 5-10 of each right now. It can lead to some "paralysis by analysis"....But i still like having them.

It's just so weird because i'd forgotten i even had the Eye2 wedge. But when i saw it among the collection i was like "perfect!"

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I bought a cheap Mavrik Max 7 iron to complete a ladies flex backup set with reasonably matched swing weights around C6

2004 BB 41" driver,  38" FT 4 hybrid, Diablo Edge 9, PW, SW, MD3 58/11, Odyssey Indianapolis putter.

Not a bad beginners set for someone who is short.

Edited by ShortGolfer

I should note that I am only a ho with putters.

I had an old OG Odyssey Rossie White Hot (approximately 32" and bent a little upright) that I kept going back to...over and over and over again. Sadly, at the start of this year, someone stole it out of my bag while I was in the clubhouse having a post-round meal. Came back out after supper....putter gone 😞

Edited by b.mattay
  • Sad 4

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

OP, I have 4 sets of irons in my garage (including my gamers).  Plus a set at my buddy's house in NJ, another set at my Dads in Jax FL, and another set at my sisters' in Boston.  

I have enough driver shafts in the garage that Club Champion told me to just bring my favorite six for a driver fitting.

And enough wedges to stream a "Vokey vs Mizuno vs multiple JDM" wedge shootout at just about any loft you desire.

And yet I still surf BST when I'm bored.  LMAO

Edited by hagimihale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

On 6/22/2022 at 8:13 PM, SteelieD said:

Got tired of skulling shots out of thin sand bunkers with concrete type hard pan under the sand that my course seems to favor. 🙄

Remembered a old very low bounce lob wedge in like new condition that I had in the garage. Problem solved. 

I live in the LA area so this tells me it's a California thing.  Courses down here have been implementing these concrete bunkers for the past 10 years now because they are cheaping out big time.  Back in the day, golf courses would put nice fluffy, white sand in bunkers which made them very playable.  You won't find those anymore unless you're at a private CC or a super high end course around here these days.  My 58* is actually a 60* bent 2* strong.  6* of bounce originally, but since it's been bent, it's now 4*.  I still hit them thin on occasion. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

2 hours ago, hagimihale said:

OP, I have 4 sets of irons in my garage (including my gamers).  Plus a set at my buddy's house in NJ, another set at my Dads in Jax FL, and another set at my sisters' in Boston.  

I have enough driver shafts in the garage that Club Champion told me just to bring my favorite six for a driver fitting.

And enough wedges to stream a "Vokey vs Mizuno vs multiple JDM" wedge shootout at just about any loft you desire.

And yet I still surf BST when I'm bored.  LMAO

You're lucky to have such a collection.  My wife gives me the evil eye if I start hoarding clubs/shafts.  Her rule is that once I buy a club/shaft, the old one must go.  😭

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Limit myself to keeping Drivers and putters. Everything else is a give away or for sale.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

3 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

You're lucky to have such a collection.  My wife gives me the evil eye if I start hoarding clubs/shafts.  Her rule is that once I buy a club/shaft, the old one must go.  😭

Not married. 🙂

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

Two seasons mostly on the sidelines I traded clubs more often than I played. Going into this year I decided to stick with one set and little to no backup.

Played two 9’s with the new permanent setup and shot consecutive 45s (not so great for me).

So I  traded everything but driver in last week, (no backup set) finally broke 40 for 9 (that’s what I play these days) and of course the driver cost me a couple strokes today. No backup.

There’s a lesson in there somewhere.

On 6/24/2022 at 1:18 PM, starrman77 said:

Simple, when the course I play doesn't take care of bunkers, we don't play them. Just take the ball out and chip from beside the bunker. Why should you be penalized for poor maintenance?

For the same reasons at our course our Mens Groups do not play the bunkers neither do they play  them in the Saturday shootout. IMHO they are not that bad and when I play my vintage and "practice" rounds I play out of them people that play here will not rake a trap. Fun for me and reminds me of my younger days playing the courses I grew up on. Now to give the management credit they have started rebuilding them some. Mainly for the World Am play in the fall and for a big national Junior Tournament in the spring. But like I told one of the owners 99% of the people who play here regularly will not play the traps anyhow

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

For the same reasons at our course our Mens Groups do not play the bunkers neither do they play  them in the Saturday shootout. IMHO they are not that bad and when I play my vintage and "practice" rounds I play out of them people that play here will not rake a trap. Fun for me and reminds me of my younger days playing the courses I grew up on. Now to give the management credit they have started rebuilding them some. Mainly for the World Am play in the fall and for a big national Junior Tournament in the spring. But like I told one of the owners 99% of the people who play here regularly will not play the traps anyhow

It’s always depended on who I am playing with how we go about crap bunkers - but I’m not ruining a club.

Many of the examples near me would be best served sodding them and give up sand. 

One did several years ago, upgraded everything including carts and raising rates. Their tee sheet is always full on weekends.

• Like 1

I have an ancient TM 200 ‘ridgie’ (for those who remember) 17° which will never be sold. It has a Rifle steel shaft and goes about as far as a modern 7 wood, but it’s just the right distance for my bag and I love the way it sets up.

I keep being tempted to put a decent shaft in it, but I don’t want to mess with the magic. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wayside said:

I have an ancient TM 200 ‘ridgie’ (for those who remember) 17° which will never be sold. It has a Rifle steel shaft and goes about as far as a modern 7 wood, but it’s just the right distance for my bag and I love the way it sets up.

I keep being tempted to put a decent shaft in it, but I don’t want to mess with the magic. 

I just remembered I changed my driver weights to heavy forward before yesterday’s round. (Because what if?) And of course it cost me. 

Sometimes you gotta accept good is good.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, tannyhoban said:

It’s always depended on who I am playing with how we go about crap bunkers - but I’m not ruining a club.

Many of the examples near me would be best served sodding them and give up sand. 

One did several years ago, upgraded everything including carts and raising rates. Their tee sheet is always full on weekends.

When my home course was built over 35 years ago it was a resort course. Then they built houses around it and it basically became a community local orentated course. Back in the day it had a lot of bunkers but since it became a community course a lot of the bunkers were redone to be grass bunkers as not to make the course so hard. But it is still not a easy course because as I pointed out yesterday the course has matured a lot and tres have grown up and blossomed out quite a bit. I pointed it out to my playing partners on #12 yesterday. One tree has gotten taller plus a water oak on the corner has blossomed out. Now days the hole is played entirely different than 20 years ago when I first moved here. It is actually more difficult for me now than then and I will admit I do not hit it as far either as I did 20 years ago but then again I have moved up 2 sets of tees too. Back in the day you cut cut the corner over the trees and over the creek and have a wedge in. In recent years I have only seen 2 players do it that way one was our fellow WRXer Cardoustie when he played with me here last year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wayside said:

Absolutely do not mess with it if it still hits good for you--- IMHO sometimes you catch lightning in a jar with certain combinations of a shaft and head and on top of that shafts even the same kind can vary too. Sounds like the absolute great combo for you

• Like 3

On 6/23/2022 at 12:27 PM, parorelse said:

I have pulled the 'ol Nickent 1 Hybrid out a time or two when the course was hard and fast.  I always hit it straight and it rolls forever.  I am sure a new driving iron may do the same, but that would take time, energy, and money.  Sometimes the old reliable needs to be put in play.  

Don't even get me started on putters...

I still carry two Nickent hybrids and nothing has even come close to throwing them out of the bag. One of these days I'll post a picture of them that will drive the OCD crowd crazy. Stickers still on the shafts and the shafts are different flex. I fear the day that I have to reshaft them because I have no ide what to replace them with lol.

• Like 1