Does anyone else fancy themselves a minimalist but just can't make it happen in the real world?

bifftaco

I have spent the last 6 months selling off all my excess clubage- a few iron sets and about 30 random clubs from driver to wedge. Got down to my main set and about 5 clubs that held lasting memories of good shots, feelings, and confidence. They could jump right back into the main bag if  Ineeded a boost.

Felt good, since I fancy myself a minimalist and love the idea of a simple, classy carry bag with less than 12 clubs and nothing else. I was on my way.

Last night I bought a set of irons and another hybrid, online. I woke up feeling a sense of excited anticipation and dread at the same time. I already know they are not going to make me a better golfer and are just adding another level of complexity to my gear set up. Que up a few ranges sessions / rounds 'comparing' rather than 'practicing/playing'. Ugh.

I know my stash of clubs was trivial compared to some of you. Color me impressed, jealous, and appalled. But I was so close!

Edited by bifftaco
  • Like 1

I think you hit the key point on minimalism vs. equipment. I'm a minimalist and don't tend to own a lot of things or be especially in to objects, with the exception of things that I think will make me better.

When I first started in woodworking/carpentry 20 years ago I would buy or try any new tool I heard about to try and make myself 'better'. Started playing golf recently and am the same way, always on the lookout for something to make me a better player despite frustrating myself with the club pile I sometimes accumulate. As my competence increased my new tool acquisition slowed to nil and I suspect my golf equipment splurges will even themselves out as well once my skill level plateaus. The Golf Sidekick videos where he preaches the point of getting good with the clubs you carry and carrying less has helped, realizing practice and round time is finite I am trying hard to stick with one setup for awhile.

• Like 3

Nike Titanium Forged Driver

Louisville Golf 3 & 5 Woods

Ping Eye 2 green dot  3 iron to Sand Wedge

Ping Anser 

21 hours ago, MountainKing said:

You can - you just don't want to.

The last 6 months is proof I do want to! Only one putter purchased, and one promptly sold. Just a moment of weakness the other night....

A lot of good  points so far- single digit club selection, get good with what you have, and play more. Probably should put that on a post-it and hang it on my computer screen so I can see it before hitting the buy button.

I would go with 8 clubs or less as minimalist.

I often go out and play with 3 irons and a putter - 2, 7, PW, Putter.  My score is generally within 2 - 3 shots of when I play with a full bag.

I just stick a couple of balls in my pocket and grab the 4 clubs and go.  No bag, no towels, no accessories.  It gives you a sense of freedom.

• Like 2

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Scotty Cameron  Del Mar - California 

Jones  Rover R Utility

70, 80, 90, 105, 120, 135, 150, 165, 180, 195, 210, 225, 240. That's my gapping. If I wanted to use fewer clubs which distance(s) do I take out of the bag?

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

2 hours ago, Billfitz said:

70, 80, 90, 105, 120, 135, 150, 165, 180, 195, 210, 225, 240. That's my gapping. If I wanted to use fewer clubs which distance(s) do I take out of the bag?

80 and 210

TM Qi10 (9*) | Speeder Evolution IV 661 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (20*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM TP Soto CB

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

2 hours ago, Billfitz said:

It's more about hitting CLUBS multiple yardages & flights into greens. 

• Like 1

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

I learned to play last season with four irons and a putter.  While I know the stock yardages of the irons off the tee or flat fairway, the course is sufficiently hilly that I'm constantly adjusting the effective loft of the club based on the lie of the ball.

Today I played my 3rd nine hole round of the season.  I had one par 3, four bogies, and four blow up holes.  I consider it a success as I added in five clubs since last season.

Driver, 11 wood, 8 hybrid, and 58* lob wedge.  And a "new" putter.  Driver is a challenge is balls are easily lost if you hit it left or right, so I'm playing used yellow balls at $1 each.

The par was exactly how I diagrammed it.  Tee shot was a left of the tiny green to avoid trouble.  Just missed the pin with the lob wedge.  And a par saving putt!

I used the driver, FW, or hybrid instead of the 4I, so I carried ten clubs and played nine.

Edited by ShortGolfer

On 6/23/2022 at 4:19 PM, bifftaco said:

I have spent the last 6 months selling off all my excess clubage- a few iron sets and about 30 random clubs from driver to wedge. Got down to my main set and about 5 clubs that held lasting memories of good shots, feelings, and confidence. They could jump right back into the main bag if  Ineeded a boost.

Felt good, since I fancy myself a minimalist and love the idea of a simple, classy carry bag with less than 12 clubs and nothing else. I was on my way.

Last night I bought a set of irons and another hybrid, online. I woke up feeling a sense of excited anticipation and dread at the same time. I already know they are not going to make me a better golfer and are just adding another level of complexity to my gear set up. Que up a few ranges sessions / rounds 'comparing' rather than 'practicing/playing'. Ugh.

I know my stash of clubs was trivial compared to some of you. Color me impressed, jealous, and appalled. But I was so close!

Admitting is the first step. 

I go through stages.  I was at my best two years ago with a set of x-18 irons and forged+ wedges that just worked for me.  I should of stayed with them but haven't.

I blame wrx.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

3 hours ago, BagofToast said:

80 and 210

Nope. Just yesterday I was faced with a 100 yard downhill shot to a back sloping green. I knew the ball would roll all the way off the back of the green if I hit it even 90 yards. I used my 80 yard SW. It hit on the front fringe and as anticipated rolled to pin high. Other than less than 70 yards I don't hit partial shots. I'd rather carry a full bag.

• Confused 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

6 hours ago, Billfitz said:

Every other one is a good start.  You can execute a variety of shots with each club vs just hitting a specific number.

Edited by Tommy56

Half the clubs, twice the fun!

9 hours ago, Billfitz said:

Nope. Just yesterday I was faced with a 100 yard downhill shot to a back sloping green. I knew the ball would roll all the way off the back of the green if I hit it even 90 yards. I used my 80 yard SW. It hit on the front fringe and as anticipated rolled to pin high. Other than less than 70 yards I don't hit partial shots. I'd rather carry a full bag.

You asked ...

Part of the appeal is the ability to hit partial shots.  Loft down a bit, turn it over, float it in high with a little fade.  If you drop your 80 yd SW, you would just have to get a little more from your 70 or a little less from your 90.

What do you do for a 157 yd shot?

drn92

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, drn92 said:

You asked ...

Part of the appeal is the ability to hit partial shots.  Loft down a bit, turn it over, float it in high with a little fade.  If you drop your 80 yd SW, you would just have to get a little more from your 70 or a little less from your 90.

What do you do for a 157 yd shot?

drn92

Yep ... that's the appeal of minimalist golf. 14 is a random number of clubs because golfers packing bags with half clubs and everything else. And like drn92 said, you are already covering yardages you don't have. Minimalists just have bigger gaps.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

My last 4 rounds at 2 different courses were played with 10 clubs in the bag. I shot 82 all four rounds and discovered the difference for not making lower scores were chipping and putting. 

So, I think I'll practice my chipping and putting a lot more. But, I'm committed to 10 clubs

Driver, 4hyb, 6hyb, 7, 9, PW, GW, SW, LW, putter. 

I could probably take the GW or LW out. 

(And I have two bags of various clubs in the garage, plus 7 sets of irons [s55, iBlades and i210's] waiting like sentries to be called up, LOL)

My wife said the other day, "just be thankful that you can still be out there playing the game!"  I'm 72. 

Edited by Redpro
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Billfitz said:

You asked…

• Like 1

TM Qi10 (9*) | Speeder Evolution IV 661 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (20*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM TP Soto CB

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

I play early in the morning before work, 9 holes walking. I play a half bag, easier to carry and takes the minutiae out of decision making, you either have the longer or shorter club for each shot and you learn to make either work. I’ll often rotate longer clubs in and out if I want to experiment / practice / learn, such as 3,5,7 woods and hybrids. Try it, it made me a better player 

• Like 2

I'm kinda in the same boat. I blew through a ton of hardware last year and decided to sell it all and stick to my main bag with a few different clubs. Then a few weeks ago I ordered new 5 and 7 woods because why not? They seem really good, so at least that's nice. But I keep telling myself I'm not buying anything else until Haywood releases the woods. 

See if I make it 6 months.  🤣

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Well, there's a difference between being a collector of vintage or notable sticks vs. just adding for the sake of adding to your playing stuff. Remarkable how you state up fromt that you know most recent purchases won't really make you any better as a player. So sort out and pick the best and play away. Went down to 14 only years ago, only carry 10-12 tops, and IF I choose to add something new in the HOPE it actually works for me, something else has got to leave. I guess downsizing residence some years back got me started on the minimalist kick as well. More is not better, just more complicated and clutter. Play well and find something that works for you and stick with them.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 7:30 AM, MelloYello said:

Anytime one finds themselves excited about shopping, it's a signal They're not actually playing enough golf. 

If you play more, your interest will shift to golf and the equipment will become secondary. 

I play twice a week and hit the range one to two times a week.  My wife gets "concerned" if I go beyond this.  I still love shopping for equipment and forever will even if I play and/or practice more.  I must have a problem............

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2