Nova Scotia / Maritime Golf

BallerNate

Hello my East Coast WRX friends! The Baller family and I will be moving to the Halifax area next week…can’t wait!

Excited to discover the new courses out there and get settled in!

Curious to get you guys’ thoughts on your favourite courses and some of the places I should have on the top of my list?

Everyone always talks about Cabot Cliffs and Cabot Links, but would be curious to know what your Top 5 courses are in Nova Scotia or around the Maritimes other than Cabot?

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

6 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Hello my East Coast WRX friends! The Baller family and I will be moving to the Halifax area next week…can’t wait!

Excited to discover the new courses out there and get settled in!

Curious to get you guys’ thoughts on your favourite courses and some of the places I should have on the top of my list?

Everyone always talks about Cabot Cliffs and Cabot Links, but would be curious to know what your Top 5 courses are in Nova Scotia or around the Maritimes other than Cabot?

I liked Brunello, Avon, Eagle Crest and Penn outside of the main 2 (Cabot & Highlands); 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, puttnforthe8 said:

I liked Brunello, Avon, Eagle Crest and Penn outside of the main 2 (Cabot & Highlands); 

Awesome, thanks!! Are you still in the Maritimes?

I’ve heard a lot about Brunello, and have played Penn Hills twice while visiting. Haven’t heard of Avon and Eagle Crest though. That’s Avon Valley in Falmouth and Eagle Crest in Centerville correct?

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 6/25/2022 at 2:24 PM, PEI_Golfer said:

Congrats on making the move out!

Thanks my man, very excited to finally get out East!! Move out day in Ontario was yesterday, and making the drive out now!

What have been your favourite courses in the Maritimes so far?

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/29/2022 at 10:23 PM, sratacik said:

A trip to PEI is definitely worth it tons of good courses there.

Crowbush had to remove over 1k trees after the hurricane.  Quite a bit down when I drive by Dundarave as well.  Bellevedre got hit hard as well and lost pretty well all their big, old trees around the clubhouse.  Courses here aren't going to look the same for a long time.

• Like 1

A Revolving Door

32 minutes ago, PEI_Golfer said:

Crowbush had to remove over 1k trees after the hurricane.  Quite a bit down when I drive by Dundarave as well.  Bellevedre got hit hard as well and lost pretty well all their big, old trees around the clubhouse.  Courses here aren't going to look the same for a long time.

Ugh hate to hear that. I have family on the island...it's such a beautiful spot hoping for a full recovery.

Avon and Ken Wo are 2 great courses in the Annapolis Valley. Truro is also a nice old style course, Northumberland in Pugwash was a favorite but got hit hard with the last big storm. They've lost over 700 trees. I play Brunello quite a bit as well as Grandview in Dartmouth and Penn Hills. I live very close to Glen Arbour but it's harder and more expensive to play there the last couple of years. Message me through here this coming summer, I'd love to play a round. 

• Like 1

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

On 6/23/2022 at 9:16 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

Eagle Crest over Ken-Wo? Interesting.

TSR 3 9.5° Tour AD XC 6 X
TSR 3 15° Tour AD DI 8 X

T-200 (3) Modus 3 125 X

T-100 (4-PW) Modus 3 125 X
SM9 (50°,55°,60°) Modus 3 125 S
Special Select - Newport 2
Pro V1X

WITB Pics

12 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Did not play it, so can't comment.

fair enough. If you ever get back, it's a must.

I grew up in the area so was just curious seeing Avon Valley and Eagle Crest on there

TSR 3 9.5° Tour AD XC 6 X
TSR 3 15° Tour AD DI 8 X

T-200 (3) Modus 3 125 X

T-100 (4-PW) Modus 3 125 X
SM9 (50°,55°,60°) Modus 3 125 S
Special Select - Newport 2
Pro V1X

WITB Pics

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2023 at 9:59 AM, Xavier_11 said:

Eagle Crest over Ken-Wo? Interesting.

I'd play Avon and Berwick over Ken Wo any day.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 1/2/2023 at 7:44 PM, PEI_Golfer said:

Don’t know how I missed all the messages on this thread.

Very sorry to hear about all the damage in PEI. I’ll be taking a Golf trip to the Island this year for sure.

Made a trip in the Fall last year, but was with the family and didn’t get to Golf unfortunately. Just driving by a couple of course though I could tell they were absolutely stunning!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 1/2/2023 at 8:35 PM, kwcsports said:

Avon and Ken Wo are 2 great courses in the Annapolis Valley. Truro is also a nice old style course, Northumberland in Pugwash was a favorite but got hit hard with the last big storm. They've lost over 700 trees. I play Brunello quite a bit as well as Grandview in Dartmouth and Penn Hills. I live very close to Glen Arbour but it's harder and more expensive to play there the last couple of years. Message me through here this coming summer, I'd love to play a round. 

On 1/2/2023 at 8:36 PM, kwcsports said:

Also, welcome to N.S.

Sorry for the slow reply, just seeing the messages from this thread now.

Thanks very much for the welcome! After moving in July we’re just starting to get settled in now.

I got to play all the courses on your list except Ken Wo, Northhumberland, and Truro.

Was supposed to play Ken Wo one day but had a very bad experience with them not honouring a GolfNow rate that my 3 buddies got, and they were very rude to me, so that has been my only bad Golf experience in the Maritimes so far.

Overall I’m absolutely loving the Golf scene here so far…spectacular courses with incredible natural environments, and course staff are much welcoming and friendly than the equivalent types of courses in Ontario.

Edited by BallerNate
  • Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

30 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Don’t know how I missed all the messages on this thread.

Very sorry to hear about all the damage in PEI. I’ll be taking a Golf trip to the Island this year for sure.

Made a trip in the Fall last year, but was with the family and didn’t get to Golf unfortunately. Just driving by a couple of course though I could tell they were absolutely stunning!

We will have a better idea once more eyes are out on the courses to see how much damage was done and trees removed.  I doubt any golf staff are on here as they don't post, at least in this section.

I was at Brudenell last weekend to hit in the sims, and looking out from the clubhouse, it didn't see that bad, but along the road in you can see a bunch came down along some of the Dundarave holes. 

• Like 1

A Revolving Door

On 2/21/2023 at 3:54 PM, Bad9 said:

I'd play Avon and Berwick over Ken Wo any day.

Avon is gorgeous…one of my favourite courses that I played last season!

Wish it was closer to Halifax, I’d probably get passes there.

Had a very bad experience with Ken Wo and probably won’t be playing there anytime soon.

All other courses I’ve dealt with in the Maritimes have been awesome to me and very welcoming though!

• Like 2

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

10 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

We will have a better idea once more eyes are out on the courses to see how much damage was done and trees removed.  I doubt any golf staff are on here as they don't post, at least in this section.

I was at Brudenell last weekend to hit in the sims, and looking out from the clubhouse, it didn't see that bad, but along the road in you can see a bunch came down along some of the Dundarave holes. 

Fingers crossed that the damage isn’t too bad.

Please keep us posted, will definitely be making a Golf trip to the Island for sure!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

7 hours ago, kwcsports said:

Ken Wo is a great course. Staff are not great in the shop sometimes for sure. One of the hardest last 3 hole stretches in the province IMO. Give them another chance, you'll enjoy the track.

Fair enough, I’ll give it a chance sometime this season hopefully.

For sure 1 bad apple can spoil the whole impression of a place, especially when it the first impression.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

• 2 months later...

Just a heads up for anyone that hasn't played there yet, Brunello is a massive construction zone currently.

Played there last week and was absolutely shocked that there wasn't any kind of warning sent out to pass holders and members, and there should've been discounted rates provided for this season as long as the construction is taking place!

Basically there's ongoing construction right next to about half the holes (including tractors and cranes), a ton of noise, and many of the holes have been altered in various ways. There are holes where parts of Fairways have been cut out, sections of rough are cut out, one hole was converted from a Par 5 to a Par 4 with a different Tee box, and there's another hole where the green was completely relocated to the right of the Fairway and 40 yards up.

All the construction taking place looks like they're trying to squeeze more houses into the community backing onto the Golf course. As far as course conditions go, it looks like they didn't do much to repair the course since the end of last season and there are a ton of divots covering the Fairways, and most of the Tee boxes are covered in sand.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

Just a heads up for anyone that hasn't played there yet, Brunello is a massive construction zone currently.

Played there last week and was absolutely shocked that there wasn't any kind of warning sent out to pass holders and members, and there should've been discounted rates provided for this season as long as the construction is taking place!

Basically there's ongoing construction right next to about half the holes (including tractors and cranes), a ton of noise, and many of the holes have been altered in various ways. There are holes where parts of Fairways have been cut out, sections of rough are cut out, one hole was converted from a Par 5 to a Par 4 with a different Tee box, and there's another hole where the green was completely relocated to the right of the Fairway and 40 yards up.

All the construction taking place looks like they're trying to squeeze more houses into the community backing onto the Golf course. As far as course conditions go, it looks like they didn't do much to repair the course since the end of last season and there are a ton of divots covering the Fairways, and most of the Tee boxes are covered in sand.

Geezus. I thought it was wildly over priced for its condition when I played there last June.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

1 hour ago, Bad9 said:

Geezus. I thought it was wildly over priced for its condition when I played there last June.

Well, if you thought it was overpriced last season than you’ll be absolutely floored this season.

It looks like construction is their priority and Golf is just an afterthought. But still charging premium prices on a very compromised and beaten up Golf course.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re making the Golfing experience so bad this year that they can use lost revenues as an excuse to shut the course down at the end of the year and use the land to build more homes.

Hope that’s not the case, but wouldn’t be surprised.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's very early in the season, but any updates on PEI course conditions or if the smoke from the dreadful mainland fires have hit badly? The latter doesn't seem to be the case, at least so far, looking at IQ Air. 

My wife and I  head to PEI on June 19. Four days golf, another 5 days sightseeing.  We have rounds booked at Eagles Glenn, Countryview, Fox Meadow and  Green Gables. From the flyovers at GolfPEI,  Countryview looks the least interesting to me, but my wife thinks it looks pretty and likes the wide fairways. And forced carries certainly aren't her thing.  I'll be doing all the sightseeing driving non golf days so I'm not keen either to beat myself up with tougher tracks like Crowbush on the golf days. 

We gather that bringing  lots of bug spray with Deet is a must in June.

Edited by myspinonit

Smoke is a non issue so far.  On my way home tonight, it was hazy out on the south shore, so it will likely be here tomorrow.  But with all the cooler weather and rain forecasted from Friday to Tuesday, I'd say it won't be anything.  Haven't heard anything about those tracks and conditions, it's been very dry here and we had well below average snow fall as well as rainfall for April and May.

Playing Anderson Creek Saturday, and friend says both Brudenell and Crowbush are fine, so I would imagine the rest are as well.  We didn't have a challenging winter (too much ice build up for prolong), but rain will be welcomed.

Edited by PEI_Golfer

A Revolving Door

11 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

Smoke is a non issue so far.  On my way home tonight, it was hazy out on the south shore, so it will likely be here tomorrow.  But with all the cooler weather and rain forecasted from Friday to Tuesday, I'd say it won't be anything.  Haven't heard anything about those tracks and conditions, it's been very dry here and we had well below average snow fall as well as rainfall for April and May.

Playing Anderson Creek Saturday, and friend says both Brudenell and Crowbush are fine, so I would imagine the rest are as well.  We didn't have a challenging winter (too much ice build up for prolong), but rain will be welcomed.

That's good news on all fronts. (No pun intended.)

I'm keeping an eye on the IQ Air ratings and Maritimes newscasts. Still, If the situation changes I would appreciate  a PM.  I have asthma and activity in smoke is definitely not a good idea for me.

By the by, in respect to your appreciated input in the other thread on courses to play we dropped Red Sands in favour of Eagles Glenn, right by our accommodation.  So it's now in order: Eagles Glenn, Countryview, Fox Meadow, Green Gables.