Did I get fake grips - Calling Lamkin experts

hwwong

Check out the pictures.  Top/Left are what I've gotten the last two orderder (one from PGA SS and one from Value Golf).  The bottom is the most recent from Grips 4 Less.  Different smell, different label, different sized font, way less cord.  Did I get fakes?  Or does Lamkin just have that much variability in manufacturing?  I emailed Lamkin as well but have not heard back yet

.IMG_7556.jpg.edb9d4847d5b50d7b6acf439a0b9ef6e.jpg

IMG_7557.jpg.f743f7f0a4f030d550920f14d9c5226d.jpg

IMG_7558.jpg.5a23aa8d464e7627212e8d7bc5d6a537.jpg

IMG_7559.jpg.088eeac880f802107b924a7b263f2f16.jpg

Callaway TD LS 9 - Accra TZ Five M5 

Titleist TSi3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 TX

Mizuno Pro 223 $ Taper HT 130x

Vokey SM7 50, 55 KBS 610 125x

Vokey SM7 60 KBS Hi Rev 2.0 135x

TP Mills Dale/TP Mills Nellie

Pro V1

It's so hard to know for sure.  Large companies like Lamkin may have various manufacturing locations for the same product, and each will have slight (hopefully insignificant) differences.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

25 minutes ago, Nessism said:

It's so hard to know for sure.  Large companies like Lamkin may have various manufacturing locations for the same product, and each will have slight (hopefully insignificant) differences.

Yea, I would be ok with some slight/insignificant differences.  I know some Golf Pride BCTs are heavier in cord than others.  But these seem a bit much.  I may just end up returning and reordering from a known source.  I guess we'll see what Lamkin says..if they even respond.

Pro V1

This is going to sound strange, but the easiest way to tell if they are counterfeit is the smell. If they smell Iike rubber chances are they are legit. If they smell like gasoline or chemicals they are probably fake. We used to get people trying to trade fake SC putters all the time a the grip smell was a dead giveaway 

• Like 3

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ +1 Flat setting Grafalloy Pro Lite HL Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Ping Alta CB Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Raw reg
PXG Gen 3 0311XP 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Reg

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Grips4Less is legit. They would not sell fake stuff.

Yes there is variability in manufacturing of cord grips.

Yes there are two different label types, one is older and one is newer. Older ones had the paper label behind the cellophane and newer is the white printed label IIRC.

• Like 3

🔹🔹🔹 DSTC + AD TP 6 / MAVRIK MaxTC 15°+1 + AD TP 7 / MAVRIK SZTC 20° + AD TP 8 / TW-X + LINQ M40X Black 100 / TR20P + Modus3 105 / MD5 Forged / Detour 2 Mod

14 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

This is going to sound strange, but the easiest way to tell if they are counterfeit is the smell. If they smell Iike rubber chances are they are legit. If they smell like gasoline or chemicals they are probably fake. We used to get people trying to trade fake SC putters all the time a the grip smell was a dead giveaway 

Hmm the chemical-ly smell was the first thing I noticed when opening the package…. And the reason I went and started comparing. 

8 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Yes there are two different label types, one is older and one is newer. Older ones had the paper label behind the cellophane and newer is the white printed label IIRC.

But almost everything is different.. if it was just the label wouldn’t be an issue. Cross hatching different size, different color white, different cordage, different font size, different smell, different label. Surely that can’t be acceptable from a manufacturing standpoint…

Pro V1

1 minute ago, hwwong said:

Hmm the chemical-ly smell was the first thing I noticed when opening the package…. And the reason I went and started comparing. 

But almost done get everything is different.. if it was just the label wouldn’t be an issue. Cross hatching different size, different color white, different cordage, different font size, different smell, different label. Surely that can’t be acceptable from a manufacturing standpoint…

The smell is the giveaway. Not saying they knowingly sold fakes, but based on the pics and the smell something isn’t right. I have one of my good friends who is in the business, and he’s got returns from people that he knows are fake. Just one of the many scams people run. They buy legit grips from one company, then buy fakes online. Then send the fakes to the legit company and get a refund….

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ +1 Flat setting Grafalloy Pro Lite HL Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Ping Alta CB Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Raw reg
PXG Gen 3 0311XP 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Reg

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Different year, different label, different paint. Those are legit. Same labels that were on the ones I bought for my brother at my local shop a few weeks back

• Like 1

COBRA LTDX LS 9* MATRIX MARU RED 70 TX 
COBRA FLY Z + 14.5* EVENFLOW BLACK 75 X                                                                             WILSON M5 TOUR 17* ALDILA ROGUE STIFF.                                           TITLEIST U510 3 ALDILA PHENOM 100 stiff.                                    

OICHI CUSTOM GROUND BLANKS 5-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                    CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 54* MMT 125 Stiff.                                        CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 58* MMT 125 Stiff.                                         NATIONAL CUSTOM NICOLL BLADE SNELL MTB-X

I am not sure on that one, but I purchased some "legit" multi compounds in that old school navy color from eBay, which I couldn't find anywhere else. As soon as I received them, I knew it wasn't right. They just felt far different vs all the others I had used.

I buy my grips in person now.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist 2021 T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

21 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I think it’s actually from the different locations they come out of. I used to use the Lamkin Master’s grips. I wanna say they actually come out of two different counties.  I have seen the paper and the cellophane alternate over the course of a few years, and that was few years ago. 

TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
TM M5 14* Rocket w/ BB S+ 70  
Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
Kyoei 52/58 Personal Grinds w/ DG S400s
Odyssey MXM 1W

Make like Archimedes. Put them in a frying pan filled with enough water to cover them. Measure how much the water level rises when the grip is placed in the pan with one versus the other. If they're significantly different so is the material that they're made of.

Saying 'Eureka!' is optional.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

I ordered some Golf Pride MCC Align grips from eBay and I specifically avoided the sellers who were selling a set of 13 for way less than half retail. The ones I got looked legit but were a little off in smell. I installed them and used them for a year, and TBH I couldn't tell the difference. They were probably knock-offs but I'm kinda a knock-off golfer so it didn't matter.

• Like 1

Ping G410 Tour AD DI6S

Ping G425 Tensi Orange

Ping G30 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange

Ping G425 5-SW, UST Recoil ES F4S

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

7 hours ago, Billfitz said:

Make like Archimedes. Put them in a frying pan filled with enough water to cover them. Measure how much the water level rises when the grip is placed in the pan with one versus the other. If they're significantly different so is the material that they're made of.

Saying 'Eureka!' is optional.

Is this legit? Haha 

• Haha 1

Pro V1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, CWT33 said:

The ones you are questioning are legit. 

I hoarded Lamkin players cords straight from a Lamkin dealer local shop - they all had that paper tag. And huge variances between cord / color / feel. 

B82DC408-8309-4687-BFB6-A2A32E6503F2.jpeg

Hmm ok this makes me feel better about it

Edited by hwwong

Pro V1

1 hour ago, hwwong said:

Is this legit?

Really? I can't recall exactly when I first read about Archimedes discovering the principle of displacement but I'm sure it was no later than sixth grade. 😉

https://www.livescience.com/58839-archimedes-principle.html

Callaway Supersoft

3 minutes ago, Billfitz said:

Really? I can't recall exactly when I first read about Archimedes discovering the principle of displacement but I'm sure it was no later than sixth grade. 😉

https://www.livescience.com/58839-archimedes-principle.html

Oh no doubts on displacement but i meant in the context of golf grips.  

Pro V1

Displacement works with any solid object.

• Like 1

Callaway Supersoft

15 minutes ago, Billfitz said:

Displacement works with any solid object.

Isn't displacement a measure of volume? Not sure how that would determine what material what the grip is made out given that the real one and the fake one are both made to the same or close to the same measurements.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 12°/Graman UL440 r flex,Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5w/Xcaliber RT5 r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby TSW 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

8 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

Isn't displacement a measure of volume? Not sure how that would determine what material what the grip is made out given that the real one and the fake one are both made to the same or close to the same measurements.

I was willing to try it if I didn't get any good answers from Lamkin.  But I was thinking putting grips in water would have more to do with buoyancy/density of different rubber compounds or something.  

Pro V1

15 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

It is volume, yes.

You can use it to measure mass with water in some applications because of the 1g/ml density but it gets complicated doing that with any other medium.

Edited by Bubbtubbs

21 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

You would weigh both grips. If they were very different then you already have your answer. If not then you'd use displacement to verify they're made of material with the same density. In the original version of the tale Archimedes was tasked with finding out if the king's crown was solid gold or gold plated base metal.  Most base metals, like copper, have a mass less than gold, so they'd have more volume to realize the same weight, and would displace more water than an equal weight of gold.

• Like 1

Callaway Supersoft

6 hours ago, Billfitz said:

You would weigh both grips. If they were very different then you already have your answer. If not then you'd use displacement to verify they're made of material with the same density. In the original version of the tale Archimedes was tasked with finding out if the king's crown was solid gold or gold plated base metal.  Most base metals, like copper, have a mass less than gold, so they'd have more volume to realize the same weight, and would displace more water than an equal weight of gold.

Weights are the same, both sets I got almost all between 50-52g

Pro V1

Can confirm they look legit to me. I just got my irons built by Callaway with the same grips, and they look identical to the bottom photo, versus my old Mizuno’s with about year old cord look more like your top photo.  

I remember vividly thinking the Z looked much wider and brighter on the new Callaways than the last set of grips, so yeah, just the result of a different plant or material since last run most likely. Which makes sense as not too long ago, these grips were holding up many club builds for Ping and others. Sounds like the different look is the solution to those supply chain woes.

Edited by SilenceX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SilenceX said:

Can confirm they look legit to me. I just got my irons built by Callaway with the same grips, and they look identical to the bottom photo, versus my old Mizuno’s with about year old cord look more like your top photo.  

I remember vividly thinking the Z looked much wider and brighter on the new Callaways than the last set of grips, so yeah, just the result of a different plant or material since last run most likely. Which makes sense as not too long ago, these grips were holding up many club builds for Ping and others. Sounds like the different look is the solution to those supply chain woes.

Thanks for replying. Sucks the new grips aren’t nearly as corded.  Hopefully I’ll stick with my irons long enough to not need new grips!

Pro V1