2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Lexi needs mental help….

12 minutes ago, kwcsports said:

I feel so bad watching Lexi putt. If she putted half decent she would have 5 more wins and a few majors. I agree it's in her head. Her stroke on the short ones is worse than a 20 capper, I hope she gets it figured out. I like Lexi, the rest of her game is solid. 

Agree, she hits it better than anyone out there, if she could just become a better than average putter and fix her mental game she could be dominant.

• Like 3

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

21 minutes ago, woahnelly said:

Her putting stats are actually pretty good on the season .. she just seems to crumble when it matters most. 

Exactly, it’s only when she’s under pressure. The pitch into the 16th looked like a 20 hdcp. Before she hit the shot I said if she gets it up and down she will win. Once she bladed it I knew it was over… Then she hits a 15ft putt on 17 6ft past the hole. She just can’t control her nerves and hands under the heat. Then an uphill pretty straight 15 ft putt on 18 that’s a must make she leaves it almost a foot short. It’s not physical, it’s purely mental.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 4

It’s not just putting. It’s every touch shot. She has none. She’s got the yips for chipping and putting, so that's not good. Has she always had em? Tiger had them, but he worked it out mainly because he once had the greatest short game around, nerves applied, so he could revert back to what he already owned.

But if Thompson never had a great short game (question?), then she’s got a lot of work in front of her. And this is not even considering the mental/physical choking already going on.

Can say though, she has improved on taking divots the size of the painted dashed lines on the hwy. Now she needs to get to work on fixing her mechanics and negotiating her nerve. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ode said:

She gags under pressure.  Putting and short game.  That puts a LOT of pressure on the rest of her game.  It was a poor second on the par 5 leaving herself in a bad spot and it all unraveled.  Not sure what she did the hole before as I was flipping between tournaments.  Ahed be better off playing for birdie the old fashioned way.  Lagging it on the next hole.  She does that she wins.  The gagging won't stop until she makes better decisions and be more of a course manager under pressure.  Yes I'm saying it.  Lay up and lag it and she wins.

She missed a short on 14, but then made a 25 footer on 15 for birdie. That pitch shot looked like a 20 hdcp trying to lift scoop it…. It’s all mental.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ode said:

She gags under pressure.  Putting and short game.  That puts a LOT of pressure on the rest of her game.  It was a poor second on the par 5 leaving herself in a bad spot and it all unraveled.  Not sure what she did the hole before as I was flipping between tournaments.  She would've been better off playing for birdie the old fashioned way.  Lagging it on the next hole.  She does that she wins.  The gagging won't stop until she makes better decisions and be more of a course manager under pressure.  Yes I'm saying it.  Lay up and lag it and she wins.

I believe she birdied the hole that you missed! 15 footer an inch off the green. It was a recipe for the make, as the pressure is off and she’s not expected to sink an off the green putt. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OBbogey5 said:

It’s not just putting. It’s every touch shot. She has none. She’s got the yips for chipping and putting, so that's not good. Has she always had em? Tiger had them, but he worked it out mainly because he once had the greatest short game around, nerves applied, so he could revert back to what he already owned.

But if Thompson never had a great short game (question?), then she’s got a lot of work in front of her. And this is not even considering the mental/physical choking already going on.

Can say though, she has improved on taking divots the size of the painted dashed lines on the hwy. Now she needs to get to work on fixing her mechanics and negotiating her nerve. 

Agree she’s not even tour average inside 100 yds. If she was she would be dominant. She has more ball striking talent than anyone out there. Just the closer she gets to the green the more that advantage is lost. But when she gets into pressure she can’t control her nerves. It’s a shame, cause she so likable. I lived in S Fl and have met her several times as her best friend’s dad (J Green, also an LPGA player) was a good friend of mine. I hope she can get the help she needs to control her nerves. She’s only 27 so who knows how many tournaments and majors she could win.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ode said:

It was painful to watch!  Painful!

You can just see it, the thin 3wd into 16 then that scoop/lift jerky third shot that skulled over the green…. Then hitting a 15 footer 6 feet past on 17. She just can’t control her nerves. Hope she find a Bob Rotella type to give her the tools she needed to relax under pressure.

• Like 2

I don't care about her stats.  That's hindsight.  There will be another major that she will be in contention and stats won't matter.  What matters is the mental approach.  I don’t know if she has a mental coach, but if so, fire that person right now.  Fire that person not because they are the problem but because she needs a fresh approach.

i guarantee that all the shots she is gagging on the course to close out a win, she has hit all those shots perfect in practice.  It’s not skill at all.  I would bet in a casual game of closest to the hole chipping she can hold her own.  So it’s clearly mental.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, kwcsports said:

I think her putting set up is too rigid, looks like a robot. Just relax, line it up and use her normal stroke and roll it in. I hate her whole set up for putting. 

She so technical with her putting, but so natural when hitting full shots. It’s so easy to see and understand why she’s so good with one and not with the other.

1 hour ago, kwcsports said:

I think her putting set up is too rigid, looks like a robot. Just relax, line it up and use her normal stroke and roll it in. I hate her whole set up for putting. 

7 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

She so technical with her putting, but so natural when hitting full shots. It’s so easy to see and understand why she’s so good with one and not with the other.

Anecdotally that seems to be something of a common thread with handsier players that have lots of manipulations and/or body movements in their normal swings. They often need to do something to lock down their putting which pushes them in a more robotic direction, because otherwise they end up worse. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Unfortunately, Lexi's continued putting struggles are rooted in really bad mechanics in her stroke.  No amount of the Bob Rotella types or any other variation of telling her to get tougher, is going to change this.  You can't compete in majors as a top tier player, with that bad of a cut across putting stroke.

Change the grip, change the stroke.  Work with someone who has experience in doing this

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CasualLie said:

I don't care about her stats.  That's hindsight.  There will be another major that she will be in contention and stats won't matter.  What matters is the mental approach.  I don’t know if she has a mental coach, but if so, fire that person right now.  Fire that person not because they are the problem but because she needs a fresh approach.

i guarantee that all the shots she is gagging on the course to close out a win, she has hit all those shots perfect in practice.  It’s not skill at all.  I would bet in a casual game of closest to the hole chipping she can hold her own.  So it’s clearly mental.

She should hire bob rotella, right now and stick with hm. I guarantee he will calm her down on the greens, she is nervous as hell. Don't know why she is so nervous she has tons of money and titles.

She’s number 7 on tour in strokes gained putting and putted better than most at the kpmg. If we flipped her front 9 and back 9 scores we’d all be talking about what a gutsy charge she made.

It’s a heartbreaking loss for sure but she closed the gap by a lot in the last two days—definitely not a choke. 

All players have ugly short putts or other ugly shots every round unless they’re shooting a 65 or something. 

Go back and count the ugly shots in the last 36 holes. I bet Lexi had around the second fewest and Chun and around the least. That’s not a choke or a weak mind. 

If you were #7 on the LPGA putting would you go find a new coach?

Edited by Pym
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pym said:

She’s number 7 on tour in strokes gained putting and putted better than most at the kpmg. If we flipped her front 9 and back 9 scores we’d all be talking about what a gutsy charge she made.

It’s a heartbreaking loss for sure but she closed the gap by a lot in the last two days—definitely not a choke. 

All players have ugly short putts or other ugly shots every round unless they’re shooting a 65 or something. 

Go back and count the ugly shots in the last 36 holes. I bet Lexi had around the second fewest and Chun and around the least. That’s not a choke or a weak mind. 

Depends..

If it was almost anyone else , No..

Lexi has most potential to be #1, so YES for her..  Maybe not a coach, but more of sports psychologist.

• Like 4

That pitch shot she hit on 16th par 5 falling back on right leg and flipping the wrist under pressure and then thinning it long is right out of the WRX 4 handi handbook.🤣

• Haha 3

Ping G400 MAX 9 Kuro Kage Tini 60x

Titleist TSI2 18 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

Lexi as far as ball striking is as good as they come.  Should've been an easy walkin to victory with  that 2 shot lead with 3 holes left.  Absolute worst score on 16 was par.  Inexcusable 3 putt from about 12 feet distance.  It's nerves.  I've been a longtime fan of Lexi and it pains me to see her pull WRX 4 handi moves with victory in her grasp.  Mental collapse today and yes she has a history of doing this.  Golf Channel showed some of her missed short putts.  She litterally missed a putt less than a foot to win Tour Championship and become world #1 at one point.  And she had the US Open in her grasp last year at the Olympic as well as that 4 shot penalty that cost her the ANA for mis marking her ball.  

Edited by mosesgolf
  • Like 4

Ping G400 MAX 9 Kuro Kage Tini 60x

Titleist TSI2 18 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

42 minutes ago, Pym said:

You must have missed her back nine at the Meijer last week, it was almost identical as today. Multiple missed short putts, 3 putted a par 3, drove one in a pond. If she avoided all that, she would have been in the playoff.

Two weeks in a row she had victory in her grasp, she wasn't outplayed by her opponent's really, she couldn't make the short putts needed to win either event.

If that's not a choke or a mental issue what is it?

Before you say she's just a terrible putter, terrible putters don't have 3 second place finishes, a 4th, a 5th, a 6th, and 13th, 20th and 

38th in 9 events this year.