2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Lexi needs mental help….

She should go meet Tiger and have some lessons about playing in stressful environments.  I would say Michele Wie experienced similar issues and much was based upon expectations that were set by others for he.

Tour AD XC 6S Callaway Smoke 3D 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

19 hours ago, nvr3putt said:

What about Se Ri Pak's dad? If I recall correctly, he made Se Ri sleep in cemeteries at night. 😬

Dead people can’t hurt you. My property butts up to a 159 year old cemetery. I walk my dog after midnight loads of times and nobody has jumped out and grabbed us yet 🤣 

• Haha 4

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

What about Se Ri Pak's dad? If I recall correctly, he made Se Ri sleep in cemeteries at night. 😬

Dead people can’t hurt you. My property butts up to a 159 year old cemetery. I walk my dog after midnight loads of times and nobody has jumped out and grabbed us yet  🤣 

@nvr3putt @bladehunter

This exchange has all the makings of a teen fantasy/horror show . . . the blonde heroine and star battling both demons, and her fear of demons by the most unorthodox practice of sleeping in cemeteries, countless hours of practice, the confiding in that special someone who just "gets them" and helps them bridge the challenge.  Perhaps throw in a villan or two and the the mean girl and were all set to go.  Where is Joss Whedon?    😂

Buffy.png.dabee203b565355aea163bf8c002a9a0.png

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

I think it’s person dependent. 

for me I’m very mechanically minded in general.  I want to know how things tick. Everything.  From my car to my home to my body to my mind. Even my animals body and mind etc. can’t really care for something if you don’t know the parts and how it works. 

studying the psychology and biology of the brain/body has been a godsend to me and my game.   You still need to experiment on yourself to see what clicks. But it sure does help speed up the process when you know things that are understood science or at least has a large consensus behind it.  

I guess some people may not be this way. If you drive a car and don’t know how it works , I don’t get that.  If you own a home and don’t know which way the ceiling joists run so that you can name the load bearing walls. I don’t get that.  So there maybe people who can’t click with the knowing of our wiring and workings.  I guess. I’m not sure how you just keep trying the same thing and expecting a new result though ? 

Wholeheartedly agree that each person is different. When I get thinking mechanics, beyond just simple adjustments, I lose the plot entirely. I get excessively micro focused on my hands, the clubface or feet or something rather than what I am actually trying to do: hit the back of the golf ball.

I have been playing since I was 5 years old (39 now) and most of my success comes when I am grooved to feel confident I can repeat whatever I am doing - often it is not overly pretty, but it is predictable. 

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Dead people can’t hurt you. My property butts up to a 159 year old cemetery. I walk my dog after midnight loads of times and nobody has jumped out and grabbed us yet 🤣 

'Yet' is the operative word.

Give it time🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Suggesting Lexi "needs mental help" implies she is mentally impaired and I very much doubt that is the case or she wouldn't be where she is now.  I expect she is mentally stronger than most of us when it comes to performing at the highest level in sport.

Could she benefit from expert coaching that helps further improve mental performance for elite athletes that perform under extremely stressful conditions?  Possibly, yes. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JK Ward said:

Lexi’s chipping has looked scoopy to me for some time now. Very uncommon look from a pro. 

Yeah, I can't recall every seeing another top ranked tour player, who has a weight shift into their back foot through impact.  Morgan Pressel pointed it out that she at times does it with the putter. 

She has got to where she is with raw talent and power

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

Yeah, I can't recall every seeing another top ranked tour player, who has a weight shift into their back foot through impact.  Morgan Pressel pointed it out that she at times does it with the putter. 

She has got to where she is with raw talent and power

Even more bizarre is that the weight ends up on the front side of her lead foot. And then she bounces a few times backwards.

WTF! Is she training to be a long drive champ?

I like her and would love to see her win more. But I'm afraid she has been scarred beyond repair. Wouldn't hurt for her to go see a sports psychologist or a different one if she has already been to one. 

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

2 hours ago, bodmanza said:

Wholeheartedly agree that each person is different. When I get thinking mechanics, beyond just simple adjustments, I lose the plot entirely. I get excessively micro focused on my hands, the clubface or feet or something rather than what I am actually trying to do: hit the back of the golf ball.

I have been playing since I was 5 years old (39 now) and most of my success comes when I am grooved to feel confident I can repeat whatever I am doing - often it is not overly pretty, but it is predictable. 

Oh now I agree and I should clarify. 

i only think mechanics really in practice time. I work on figuring out the whys   off course . Same as the mental mechanics.  Implement them in everyday life situations then golf then golf under pressure.  But by the time it’s on course it’s never a really mechanical thought.  

in course I’m “ contact “ only player. I’m only seeing the back of the ball. When making a swing.  I may see flights or wind before I step in.  But I’m not sitting  there checking grip etc while over the ball.  Nope. It’s all reactionary then. The mental side has to become that too.  You will consciously begin to realize the negative self talk walking in the moment it happens.  You can get to where you recognize it , Tell it where to go ( with your own personal recipe ) and walk it out the back of your mind.  Takes seconds once you’re really committed.  And the more often you do it. The less times you have to consciously do It. It will start to happen without you being aware of it. That’s basically “ feel “ for the mental game.  When you Stop even realizing your brain is reacting to the fight or flight reflex.  The fight becomes the  default.  And your able to reboot automatically.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, EagleAteBirdie said:

Suggesting Lexi "needs mental help" implies she is mentally impaired and I very much doubt that is the case or she wouldn't be where she is now.  I expect she is mentally stronger than most of us when it comes to performing at the highest level in sport.

Could she benefit from expert coaching that helps further improve mental performance for elite athletes that perform under extremely stressful conditions?  Possibly, yes. 

That’s also mental help.  It’s always relative. 

the brain of the guy trying to make a 4 footer to win his club championship isn’t releasing any different reactions that the guy who has a 4 footer to win the us open.  The guy who has the putt to win the open will tell you his putt is harder.  But that’s in his context.  If you hooked them both up to monitors. They’d be reacting very much the same assuming desire to win is equal.    We must not act like these people on TV aren’t humans. They have no special powers.  Playing golf on TV isn’t in the top 25 most stressful occupations.  I think almost of ams do them selves a disservice by putting them up on a superhuman pedestal.  There’s no physical or mental reason why an amateur can’t be a better putter than the best players on earth.   

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

16 minutes ago, nvr3putt said:

Even more bizarre is that the weight ends up on the front side of her lead foot. And then she bounces a few times backwards.

WTF! Is she training to be a long drive champ?

I think what happened is that she was so talented and good at a very young age, that some obvious basic mechanics and technique "issues" were overlooked.

It's a tough spot to be in as a teacher and player of when to just leave it alone or attempt to force change. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

That’s also mental help.  It’s always relative. 

the brain of the guy trying to make a 4 footer to win his club championship isn’t releasing any different reactions that the guy who has a 4 footer to win the us open.  The guy who has the putt to win the open will tell you his putt is harder.  But that’s in his context.  If you hooked them both up to monitors. They’d be reacting very much the same assuming desire to win is equal.    We must not act like these people on TV aren’t humans. They have no special powers.  Playing golf on TV isn’t in the top 25 most stressful occupations.  I think almost of ams do them selves a disservice by putting them up on a superhuman pedestal.  There’s no physical or mental reason why an amateur can’t be a better putter than the best players on earth.   

No two brains will look the same on a monitor.  People just aren’t wired the same way.

edit:  there may be some similarities but we know very little about how the brain actually works.

Edited by mokedaddy

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

1 hour ago, mokedaddy said:

No two brains will look the same on a monitor.  People just aren’t wired the same way.

edit:  there may be some similarities but we know very little about how the brain actually works.

I suppose that’s more accurate.  But my point was not that everyone is the same , it was the opposite,  that they Could easily be the same or even the opposite tilted the opposite way …. And that being a pro golfer isn’t a marker for some “ secret reaction “ to pressure. The 4 handicaps brain may react better than the tour pro.  And that “ mental help “ can be sought by any human.  And it be an applicable term.  

people over estimate their mental ability and underestimate their own.  In my layman’s opinion.  I value yours. I’m not arguing.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

8 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I suppose that’s more accurate.  But my point was not that everyone is the same , it was the opposite,  that they Could easily be the same or even the opposite tilted the opposite way …. And that being a pro golfer isn’t a marker for some “ secret reaction “ to pressure. The 4 handicaps brain may react better than the tour pro.  And that “ mental help “ can be sought by any human.  And it be an applicable term.  

people over estimate their mental ability and underestimate their own.  In my layman’s opinion.  I value yours. I’m not arguing.  

Yeah I agree totally.  There is nothing inherently special about a pro that allows them to handle pressure or anything else different.  I was just adding that even two pros or two amateur could easily be more different than comparing a pro or amateur.  It all depends on the individual.

edit:  I also agree about the mental health aspect.  It’s the attitude of you only seek help if you are “impaired” is the largest driver of stigma and a huge reason many people do not seek help.

Edited by mokedaddy
  • Thanks 1

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

On 6/27/2022 at 1:57 PM, woahnelly said:

Lexi can do all the short game work practice for 12 hrs a day sinking 5 footers - none of that matters when the pressure is on the line. you can't replicate that environment when it's winning time.

I’m kind of being repetitive on my earlier take here and I do think there’s something to performing under pressure but golf, like 3 point make percent in basketball or batting average, is such a game averages over time that I think the “choke” take is way overdone. (If a player grounds out in the bottom of the 9th calling it a ‘choke’ is just way too easy and if the coach hopes to win by getting their player mental help for the next time that situation comes up I feel sorry for their fans.) Pros make about 50% of putts from 8 feet and that percent drops precipitously from beyond 8 feet. So statistically the “choke” takes are like saying she choked for flipping heads instead of tales. 

I think there’s no way Lexi and her team are goring back and trying to figure out how to perform at 100% perfection on the last 3 holes of a golf course. They’re trying to figure out how to increase overall performance by a few percent over 72 holes. They know that expecting perfection over a few particularly holes is a recipe for mental self abuse. 

I’m with the ‘rework the entire game’ takes. I’m obviously not a pro but watching Thompson next to players like Thitikul, Hataoka, Minjee Lee, Hannah Green, I would say Thompson  is the grittiest of all of them just to get into those positions to win. Totally my opinion but their full swings, short game and putting are downright insane compared to Thompson. She’s a great athlete but sometimes I think it’s pretty amazing she even keeps up with them at all. I think Thompson has performed beyond her talent level. 

(I do agree professional mental health support is very helpful for almost anyone in high pressure situations.) 

Edited by Pym
Mental health
  • Like 3

On 6/27/2022 at 11:52 AM, Abh159 said:

The true question is... If you had to choose between Lexi or Will Z to make a 3 footer to save your life, do you go with cremation or a traditional burial? 🤣

Considering Will Z is perfect on the season from 3’ and in I’ll take Will. And make sure my will is updated first.🤣

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

On 7/3/2022 at 11:40 AM, Pym said:

I’m kind of being repetitive on my earlier take here and I do think there’s something to performing under pressure but golf, like 3 point make percent in basketball or batting average, is such a game averages over time that I think the “choke” take is way overdone. (If a player grounds out in the bottom of the 9th calling it a ‘choke’ is just way too easy and if the coach hopes to win by getting their player mental help for the next time that situation comes up I feel sorry for their fans.) Pros make about 50% of putts from 8 feet and that percent drops precipitously from beyond 8 feet. So statistically the “choke” takes are like saying she choked for flipping heads instead of tales. 

I think there’s no way Lexi and her team are goring back and trying to figure out how to perform at 100% perfection on the last 3 holes of a golf course. They’re trying to figure out how to increase overall performance by a few percent over 72 holes. They know that expecting perfection over a few particularly holes is a recipe for mental self abuse. 

I’m with the ‘rework the entire game’ takes. I’m obviously not a pro but watching Thompson next to players like Thitikul, Hataoka, Minjee Lee, Hannah Green, I would say Thompson  is the grittiest of all of them just to get into those positions to win. Totally my opinion but their full swings, short game and putting are downright insane compared to Thompson. She’s a great athlete but sometimes I think it’s pretty amazing she even keeps up with them at all. I think Thompson has performed beyond her talent level. 

(I do agree professional mental health support is very helpful for almost anyone in high pressure situations.) 

True. But to make the analogy same. Say this batter is .297with runners in scoring position for innings 1-8.   But in the 9th he has a 10 at bat strike out streak with runners on.  And he’s not been on base with no runners on.    That’s what golf is doing to Lexi.  

and that’s also one of those stat groups that golf doesn’t have.  I mean I guess it could be compiled. But I’m not aware of a putt make percent or a 3 putt percent for putts attempted on the back 9 of the final round while in the lead or within 2 shots of it.    I’d bet anything it falls off dramatically.   That’s mentally giving up.  Otherwise called a choke.  

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

16 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

True. But to make the analogy same. Say this batter is 2.97 with runners in scoring position for innings 1-8.   But in the 9th he has a 10 at bat strike out streak with runners on.  And he’s not been on base with no runners on.    That’s what golf is doing to Lexi.  

and that’s also one of those stat groups that golf doesn’t have.  I mean I guess it could be compiled. But I’m not aware of a putt make percent or a 3 putt percent for putts attempted on the back 9 of the final round while in the lead or within 2 shots of it.    I’d bet anything it falls off dramatically.   That’s mentally giving up.  Otherwise called a choke.  

Not only that, but he's talking about 8ft putts. She's missing from 5ft in and missing badly. When the stroke completely changes, it's a choke. She doesn't make that yippy stroke 63 holes of a tournament,  putting or chipping/pitching 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

True. But to make the analogy same. Say this batter is 2.97 with runners in scoring position for innings 1-8.   But in the 9th he has a 10 at bat strike out streak with runners on.  And he’s not been on base with no runners on.    That’s what golf is doing to Lexi.  

I’d call it mentally trying too hard….not giving up.  Same ugly at the worst times results but opposite reasoning.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar