2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Minimalist bag members-carry a driver or is longest distance club something else?

Milfordlefty

Another thread talked about the lure of a minimalist bag. For members who have a minimalist bag (less than 10?), do you carry a driver?

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

I have a minimalist setup in addition to my full bag. I have a “2 wood” in the minimalist bag. After that I go 21* hybrid, 5, 7, 9 irons, 50*, 58* and a putter. 

Titleist TS2 10.5* set at 12.5*

~215g head weight 

Accra Tour Z X475 at 43”

• Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

10 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

I have a “2 wood”

Same here. I play a 12* driver (260), 20* hybrid (205), 6i (175), 8i (150), PW (125), SW, Putter. Depending on the course I may swap the SW for the LW.  

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

11 minutes ago, animalgolfs said:

Always carry a driver - especially at my distance 

I can bunt a driver better much better than forcing a fw

Yep ... necessity of the minimalist bag (for me) is a fairway finding bunt driver.

• Like 3

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I have have an SLDR mini driver at 12* to a 7 wood gaps nicely and I can shape the 7 wood for a variety of shots. 

TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Ventus Red 6X

TM SLDR S 14 | Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TS3 3 Hybrid | Ventus Black 10X

TM M2 7 wood | Ventus TR Red 8X 

Callaway Paradym 4 iron | Project X 6.5

Titleist TS2 5 Hybrid | Ventus Blue 9X 

Titleist T200 irons 6-PW | Project X 6.5

Artisan 52, 60 

Goodwood G7

Yeah, I carry a driver in my 7 club set up. I accept that most par 5s are gonna take 3 shots to get to, and that’s totally fine. Most golfers will gain more strokes back taking driver 7 times on all par 4s and 5s than they’ll lose for taking a 4 or 5 iron instead of a FW for the second shot on those two par 5s.

As a caveat, this is obviously a little course dependent. If you have a stupid long par 3 that can’t be reached with the longest iron in your bag, then it might change things slightly.

But generally, I’d mix driver with scoring clubs and mid irons that will get you through the specific par 3s and get you moving on par 5s. For me, I’d typically start with D, 4, 6, 8, PW (46*), (could also play odds) then 54 and putter, and make course specific tweaks from there. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, joelco said:

1.  With today's modern clubs, the driver is very arguably the easiest club to hit in the whole bag.

A month ago I would have disagreed with you BUT I was playing too low lofted of a driver. I went waaaay the other way and bought a 12* driver head and it is a joke how easy it is to hit. Yes, on a center strike it does not goes as far but my bad swings are almost indiscernible from a good swing now. I should just sell the old driver head now so that I don't try to go back to it in a few months...

• Like 1

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

You need to create your own sub-blog on minimalist (golf). Negotiate this with GolfWRX.

You all play minimalist, I play golf (14 clubs and all!)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

5 hours ago, vandyfan said:

A month ago I would have disagreed with you BUT I was playing too low lofted of a driver. I went waaaay the other way and bought a 12* driver head and it is a joke how easy it is to hit. Yes, on a center strike it does not goes as far but my bad swings are almost indiscernible from a good swing now. I should just sell the old driver head now so that I don't try to go back to it in a few months...

Funny you mention this, as I'm right there with you in terms of driver loft.  Driver has always been an issue for me, and I was playing an old one until I recently picked up a modern, adjustable driver.  I was under the impression from my SS that I needed a lower lofted driver to keep spin under control, so when I bought my new one I cranked it down to 9* and was not only struggling to get any height off of it, but also to keep it straight.  Was messing around with it recently and cranked it up to 11.5* just out of curiosity, and it's stayed there ever since.  My drives are longer and straighter than they've ever been.  I feel like I unlocked a cheat code.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

I was under the impression from my SS that I needed a lower lofted driver to keep spin under control,

I went and got fitted into the 9* driver a few years ago. I was coming from a 10.5 and the fitter, who is knowledgeable and competent, was all about getting me into a 9*. He said my spin wasn't optimized and I was leaving distance on the table (I was and still am swinging around 105-107 mph). Also, in the fitting, I was hitting driver after driver so I got grooved and was flushing the 9*. The problem is, that never happens on the golf course. I never hit 40 drivers in a row. That was kind of my cautionary tale from fitting. Beware getting fit into an "optimal" spin/launch window when you are very warm and very grooved with your swing. 

All that said, the 12* is not "optimal" from a trackman perspective but on the course I couldn't miss with it. The big challenge will be when I have a strong wind in my face. That is going to be brutal. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

3 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

I went and got fitted into the 9* driver a few years ago. I was coming from a 10.5 and the fitter, who is knowledgeable and competent, was all about getting me into a 9*. He said my spin wasn't optimized and I was leaving distance on the table (I was and still am swinging around 105-107 mph). Also, in the fitting, I was hitting driver after driver so I got grooved and was flushing the 9*. The problem is, that never happens on the golf course. I never hit 40 drivers in a row. That was kind of my cautionary tale from fitting. Beware getting fit into an "optimal" spin/launch window when you are very warm and very grooved with your swing. 

All that said, the 12* is not "optimal" from a trackman perspective but on the course I couldn't miss with it. The big challenge will be when I have a strong wind in my face. That is going to be brutal. 

Agree with the "getting grooved" fallacy on fitting. Have been suckered into several drivers in my time this way.

So you don't miss with a 12* - I am not knowledgeable enough to know why accuracy is better with a 12 vs 9?

• Like 1

I am learning so I usually play from the forward tees, unless playing back allows me to play a new club or takes a hazard out of play.

I've gotten pretty good at course management and approach shots, which is what an Executive golf course is really good for!

The greens are too small for pin hunting and the fairways are too narrow for driver. 

Last time I played a couple both hit their balls to the middle of my fairway and took quite some time to find their balls, as it was over a hill.

On 6/27/2022 at 7:03 AM, Milfordlefty said:

Another thread talked about the lure of a minimalist bag. For members who have a minimalist bag (less than 10?), do you carry a driver?

Yes.

Typically Driver, 24* hybrid, 7 thru PW, 54* wedge and a putter.  But I'll really only play this bag for 9 holes.  Only 18 holes if this bag was in the car and I'm getting 18 in late after work.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

3 hours ago, Deep Sunoji said:

I am curious - what tees you minimalists play from? What are your scores? How many holes?

Whatever the white tees are (could be anywhere from 5700-6200 around here). Not too different from my 13-club scores but I will never carry that bag...back issues.  Push cart only for the full bag.  I usually only carry the minimalist bag for 9 holes on early/late weekends, but I have carried it for full 18's before vs my buddies who had their full bags at my home course.  Still took their money.  😉

Edited by rondre3000

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

thanks everyone who answered. I suspect most replies would be yes to driver, regardless if minimal or full. While some tweak loft for accuracy, it appears with this small sampling, distance is still the higher priority off the tee (because if not, see more 3w/5w as the longest club, imo).

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

3 hours ago, Deep Sunoji said:

I am curious - what tees you minimalists play from? What are your scores? How many holes?

I'm old and broken down ... I average under 250 off the tee, so I usually stick to tees that put me right around 6,000 yards. I'm usually in the lower to mid 70s.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

4 hours ago, Deep Sunoji said:

I play 6600yds regularly with 9 clubs- my scores are almost identical vs full 14

Now anywhere above 6600yds- I need the full 14 to keep up with that length....and even then I don't carry a 3wd

• Like 1

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

On 6/27/2022 at 1:56 PM, vandyfan said:

I game a TS2 right now and when I tee it down lower, it's hard to miss a fairway. 

My normal setup is just based on frequently used clubs.  I carry a driver, 18 degree hybrid, 6-9i, pw, gw, 56, 60.  I have a 4 and 5i I usually just leave in the garage.  When I carry, I tend to leave the 60 at home too, for 9 total clubs.  I have wished I had the 60 when I don't though..

6 hours ago, bodmanza said:

So you don't miss with a 12* - I am not knowledgeable enough to know why accuracy is better with a 12 vs 9?

I can't speak to the exact physics but the ball flight is noticeably higher and is higher spin. I think it is akin to how you can get a 6 iron to curve more easily than a 9 iron. Basically the 12 degree gives me more backspin which keeps my ball in the air and, I think, makes it more resistant to side spin taking over. Also, I no longer have the super low low low spinning duck hooks because I have more launch angle or something. I also play the driver at 43.5" so it is basically a 460cc strong 3 wood. All those things help me hit the center a bit more and punish me less when I miss. 

Edited by vandyfan
  • Like 2

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

57 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

I can't speak to the exact physics but the ball flight is noticeably higher and is higher spin. I think it is akin to how you can get a 6 iron to curve more easily than a 9 iron. Basically the 12 degree gives me more backspin which keeps my ball in the air and, I think, makes it more resistant to side spin taking over. Also, I no longer have the super low low low spinning duck hooks because I have more launch angle or something. I also play the driver at 43.5" so it is basically a 460cc strong 3 wood. All those things help me hit the center a bit more and punish me less when I miss. 

Thanks for the explanation! I too often wonder if I would play better with a strong 3 wood rather than full length driver as well. 

Just now, bodmanza said:

Thanks for the explanation! I too often wonder if I would play better with a strong 3 wood rather than full length driver as well. 

Probably can't hurt to try. There are a ton of 12-14* drivers on the used sites from the mid 2010s that are $100-$150. It just can be hard to find a non senior or regular shaft in them. I am a big fan of the Cleveland Classic XL (has one of the deepest faces you have ever seen) from that era. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1