Lack of Courtesy/Etiquette on Course

I'm all for growing the game and having new golfers on the course, but I am seeing more and more examples of blatant lack of courtesy/etiquette on the course.  

Last night I ran out to the course to play a few holes after dinner.  I stepped onto the first tee and was getting out balls, tees, etc., when a couple in a cart pulled into the fairway about 50 yards in front of the tee.  They both got out of the cart and threw down a couple of golf balls.  They looked back at me and clearly saw that I was on the tee.  Then they proceeded to hit 2 balls each before moving ahead about 50 yards to repeat the process.  This went on for 2 or 3 holes, at which point I skipped a few holes to get around them.  I wasn't in any kind of a hurry as I was just enjoying the evening and working on a few things, but this is one example of many that I have seen over the last few years.  

I probably sound like an old man yelling "Get off my yard", but general courtesy would be to waive someone through if you are holding them up. 

Just venting, I guess.

• Like 2

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Scotty Cameron  Del Mar - California 

Jones  Rover R Utility

Lack of etiquette sucks but i think we're too quick to think it's the "growing the game" element, like all of these are new golfers. There's a lot of guys who've been playing for a while who have terrible etiquette.

If anything it's kind of human nature when you're new at something, to be overly sensitive to rules and trying to fit in etc..

But bottom line bad etiquette sucks...

• Like 4

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

8 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Lack of etiquette sucks but i think we're too quick to think it's the "growing the game" element, like all of these are new golfers. There's a lot of guys who've been playing for a while who have terrible etiquette.

If anything it's kind of human nature when you're new at something, to be overly sensitive to rules and trying to fit in etc..

But bottom line bad etiquette sucks...

Good point.  I just assumed they were new.

• Like 1

Jones  Rover R Utility

There's some guys at my course that I've been stuck behind that have refused to let me play through and these aren't new golfers, just guys that don't let people play through. It's not as bad when I'm with a group but when I'm playing as a single it's rather annoying because not only does it hold me up but the groups behind me. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Tour AD DI 7X

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-GW

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

Just now, cbrwn425 said:

There's some guys at my course that I've been stuck behind that have refused to let me play through and these aren't new golfers, just guys that don't let people play through. It's not as bad when I'm with a group but when I'm playing as a single it's rather annoying because not only does it hold me up but the groups behind me. 

I play as a single and get that a lot.  However, I do expect to have to wait when playing as a single.  Most people play in groups and as a single, I expect less status.  Slow groups should still let faster ones play through, but I think a lot of groups look at a single and don't think that way.

Jones  Rover R Utility

2 minutes ago, alittleoverpar said:

I play as a single and get that a lot.  However, I do expect to have to wait when playing as a single.  Most people play in groups and as a single, I expect less status.  Slow groups should still let faster ones play through, but I think a lot of groups look at a single and don't think that way.

That's the problem, they don't view me as being faster than their foursome. I take my time, will work on something here and there to by some time, I'm never trying to rush them but they just aren't going to beat me when there's 4 of them. I'm know I'm bound to wait around because of this and that's ok, but when I'm pulling up to the tee box before your group has finished and there's no one in front of you, then let the single play through.

Cobra LTDx LS - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Tour AD DI 7X

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-GW

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

5 minutes ago, cbrwn425 said:

That's the problem, they don't view me as being faster than their foursome. I take my time, will work on something here and there to by some time, I'm never trying to rush them but they just aren't going to beat me when there's 4 of them. I'm know I'm bound to wait around because of this and that's ok, but when I'm pulling up to the tee box before your group has finished and there's no one in front of you, then let the single play through.

In my case I walk 95% of the time and everyone thinks they will be waiting on me because I am walking.  I can walk and play faster than 2 people in a cart and I will always be faster than 4, but because I am walking everyone assumes I will be slow.

• Like 3

Jones  Rover R Utility

I think letting someone play through always makes sense if there's room ahead. However if the course is stacked letting a single or twosome seems it will cause more delays down the line. 

As for etiquette of newer golfers, I've said this on other topics, but when I learned to play 15-20 years ago it was the people I was with on the course, experienced golfers who taught me things.  They also did it in a very positive manner, and wasn't a pick your ball up your slow, or don't stand there move away. It was akin to coaching explaining why so I can then apply that "lesson" to other situations.

I got paired with the trailing threesome in a traveling golf league this past weekend. If this has ever happened to you, you can stop reading now. 

But, for those of you who have somehow avoided this joyful experience - I'll tell you - golf league players are among the worst of the worst. I'll take a clueless beginner any day of the week. 

Some of these guys are out for golf. Some are out for socialization. Some are merely there because their friends forced them to be.

One guy in our group was on his bluetooth the entire round. A discussion about McDonald's distracted the group for 10 minutes in the 12th fairway. At this point, I'm still unsure the debate concerning whether ordering two cheeseburgers is roughly equivalent to getting a Quarter Pounder with cheese was ever settled. 

Yet, the league takes all play "very, very seriously." Strict ROG. Big money payouts on the line. 

Gotta play the tips - no matter how good you are. Gotta grind every putt - even if its for an 11. But, improving lies is apparently ok? Um...

But, whatever. I've struggled through work all week for my round of golf. I'm a good sport. I know I'm imposing. In the long run, playing through distractions is good for me.

So, I hold the flag. I wait for everyone to finish on the green. I'm walking, yet still go and help look for lost balls, etc. etc. etc.... The number of trees these guys hit, OMG. 

Yet, these dudes abandoned me on the green many times. When they were done, they were gone. Ugh.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

2 minutes ago, jholz said:

I got paired with the trailing threesome in a traveling golf league this past weekend. If this has ever happened to you, you can stop reading now. 

But, for those of you who have somehow avoided this joyful experience - I'll tell you - golf league players are among the worst of the worst. I'll take a clueless beginner any day of the week. 

Some of these guys are out for golf. Some are out for socialization. Some are merely there because their friends forced them to be.

One guy in our group was on his bluetooth the entire round. A discussion about McDonald's distracted the group for 10 minutes in the 12th fairway. At this point, I'm still unsure the debate concerning whether ordering two cheeseburgers is roughly equivalent to getting a Quarter Pounder with cheese was ever settled. 

Yet, the league takes all play "very, very seriously." Strict ROG. Big money payouts on the line. 

Gotta play the tips - no matter how good you are. Gotta grind every putt - even if its for an 11. But, improving lies is apparently ok? Um...

But, whatever. I've struggled through work all week for my round of golf. I'm a good sport. I know I'm imposing. In the long run, playing through distractions is good for me.

So, I hold the flag. I wait for everyone to finish on the green. I'm walking, yet still go and help look for lost balls, etc. etc. etc.... The number of trees these guys hit, OMG. 

Yet, these dudes abandoned me on the green many times. When they were done, they were gone. Ugh.

I love this.  I play with guys all the time that are sticklers on the rules, but roll their ball every time they set up.  

• Like 2

Jones  Rover R Utility

2 minutes ago, alittleoverpar said:

I love this.  I play with guys all the time that are sticklers on the rules, but roll their ball every time they set up.  

Yeah, it is ridiculous. The reasoning I always hear is something along the lines of:

"This golf course sucks. Tour guys don't have to deal with lies like this. Winter rules all year!"

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

5 minutes ago, jholz said:

I will help others look if I'm relatively close by and won't hold up play doing so. If they can't be bothered to at least make an effort to reciprocate, then I just "mind my business" the rest of the round. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'm tired of this "status" BS for singles.  I've heard it too many times.  "Oh, you're a single, you have no standing."

If the hole is open in front of you, let me play through.  Or even if there's an opening ahead of the group in front of you, let me friggin' play through.

I am not a 3rd class golf citizen.  I paid the same as you.

This is "rationalizing" ... they are rationalizing why it's OK to be rude to you and treat you, as you said, as a 3rd class citizen. Rationalization is actually a fascinating field of study in psychology and can lead to an explanation of a rabbit hole of societal ills.

• Like 2

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

37 minutes ago, tatertot said:

This is "rationalizing" ... they are rationalizing why it's OK to be rude to you and treat you, as you said, as a 3rd class citizen. Rationalization is actually a fascinating field of study in psychology and can lead to an explanation of a rabbit hole of societal ills.

Good observation.  So true Tater... most of us couldn't get through the travails of everyday life without rationalizing.  I'm damn near perfect and I do it at times. 😁

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'm tired of this "status" BS for singles.  I've heard it too many times.  "Oh, you're a single, you have no standing."

If the hole is open in front of you, let me play through.  Or even if there's an opening ahead of the group in front of you, let me friggin' play through.

I am not a 3rd class golf citizen.  I paid the same as you.

The bigger problem, at least where I am, is so many courses seem to no longer care about maintaining pace. Perhaps they're too cheap to pay a proper team of marshalls, or maybe they're too worried about customer service and are willing to sacrifice pace of play so they don't upset anyone by penalizing them? I'm not sure what it is, but the 4 hour round is seeming to head the way of the dodo bird.

I've been playing golf for damn near 40 years, and back in the day I remember most courses would have marshalls on duty at all times, sometimes multiple at the same time, and they would do their job. These days, I'm amazed if I see one marshall throughout an entire season.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS w/Tensei Orange // Callaway Epic Flash 3W w/GD Tour AD IZ-7 // Adams Idea Pro a12 w/UST VTS //

Callaway X Forged 2018 5-PW w/PX Catalyst 100 // Callaway JAWS MD5 50* 54* 58* & Full Toe 64* w/PX Catalyst 80 // Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

5 hours ago, alittleoverpar said:

I'm all for growing the game and having new golfers on the course, but I am seeing more and more examples of blatant lack of courtesy/etiquette on the course.  

Last night I ran out to the course to play a few holes after dinner.  I stepped onto the first tee and was getting out balls, tees, etc., when a couple in a cart pulled into the fairway about 50 yards in front of the tee.  They both got out of the cart and threw down a couple of golf balls.  They looked back at me and clearly saw that I was on the tee.  Then they proceeded to hit 2 balls each before moving ahead about 50 yards to repeat the process.  This went on for 2 or 3 holes, at which point I skipped a few holes to get around them.  I wasn't in any kind of a hurry as I was just enjoying the evening and working on a few things, but this is one example of many that I have seen over the last few years.  

I probably sound like an old man yelling "Get off my yard", but general courtesy would be to waive someone through if you are holding them up. 

Just venting, I guess.

I know a couple guys who would have yelled " Fore " and rifled a tee shot over their heads. Wouldn't have put up with that nonsense\ rudeness for one hole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

this topic goes along with my other issue, which is people NEVER FIXING THEIR FRIGGIN BALL MARKS.   smh

drives me crazy.   not letting a single play through, or not fixing ball marks, or not raking the sand, or not fixing divots in the fairway, or taking practice putts after your group finishes the hole even though im standing in the fairway right behind you...its all a symptom of the same thing and it really doesnt have anything to do with beginner golfers....it just all stems from people NOT GIVING A SH$$ and not having any concern about other players.   I am sure a small % is from people that just started the game and dont know any better but im willing to bet the vast majority are people that just dont care what the rest of us think.   They going to sit on their phones while we wait behind them....or they going to hack it out of the sand, on their 3rd try, and not bother to rake it..  or they going to finally hit a green, and not bother to fix the huge ball mark..... at this point, it is what it is.   They are the same knuckleheads that drive horribly and bump into you at the food store and never say excuse me.  Same people.....  OH well... 

venting is fun !! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ghostwedge said:

I know a couple guys who would have yelled " Fore " and rifled a tee shot over their heads. Wouldn't have put up with that nonsense\ rudeness for one hole.

haha.... i remember back in my younger days, plenty of arguments on the golf course over this kind of stuff.  Plenty of times that groups would hit up on the group in front.  1 time was an honest mistake that went unchallenged but the 2nd time resulted in that ball being teed up and hit back at them...or "accidentally" tossed into the woods...

muni golf was no joke back in the day.   haha

2 minutes ago, NPSpar4 said:

haha.... i remember back in my younger days, plenty of arguments on the golf course over this kind of stuff.  Plenty of times that groups would hit up on the group in front.  1 time was an honest mistake that went unchallenged but the 2nd time resulted in that ball being teed up and hit back at them...or "accidentally" tossed into the woods...

muni golf was no joke back in the day.   haha

Ya, I don't condone hitting into people but just based on the OP's scenario.

I'd think about it.... 😎

• Haha 1

I've been playing a long time, and yes, it's mostly the new "pandemic" players that have no concept of etiquette.  We all started slowly, took time to learn, and played with people who knew the rules.  Now they all buy a bunch of stuff and tee it up.  I've had several groups skip by me when I was putting and seemed confused or unfazed when I called them on it.  Along with a lot of other issues.

Played last week and the group behind kept hitting up on us.  We were waiting on a group in front of us, which I'm sure they could see, in fact they caught up to us waiting on the tee box and we were talking about how bunched up it was in front of us.  But they continued to hit up on us.

On the last hole they hit a ball that ran onto the 18th fringe while we were putting.  The guy drove up in his cart and said, "Had to hit one more close to you before you left, haha".  Odd.  Was obviously doing it on purpose but not to speed us up.  Just for the heck of it I guess?  People are weird.

12 hours ago, alittleoverpar said:

Just venting, I guess.

By any chance did they have a tee time and you just rode up on the first tee cutting them off?  I'm not saying this happened, just asking the question.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

In both of my golf leagues we have adopted a "rake and place" rule in the bunkers. They are completely ill-maintained by players now.  While you'd run across the occasional non-raked bunker pre-lockdowns, almost every bunker I see isn't raked if you play past noon on most days.

"Grow the game" sucks unless you're in the golf business.

• Like 1

I'd be hard pressed to make an argument that etiquette has not declined in the past 10 years. More and more there are too many people who can't seem to remain quiet when someone else is playing a shot... play music too loudly or just assume everyone in the group is okay with their playing it at all, walk in someones putting line, yell across the fairways to their buddies, zip up the middle of the fairway in front of players still playing from behind, have never heard of ready golf, never yell fore regardless of where their shot is going, are completely oblivious to anything other than themselves, etc, etc..... it's just much worse than it used to be.

Perhaps it's just a numbers game... so many more players = so many more hacks but I do find it to be disappointing.

Edited by Dpavs
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Gen-Xer's, Millennials and Pandemic Players...

Ah yes, the retirees that hit into me (after encouraging me to hit into the group in front of me, which I refused) last time I played were Gen X or Millennial.  The group I followed the time before that, also retirees, who had their entire foursome in every bunker and didn't rake any of them, were also Gen X and Millennial.

It must be great being 35 and retired, eh?

Straight up - jerks are gonna be jerks regardless of age or experience.  Now, why don't you go complain about young people eating avocados or something?

• Like 2

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new