Counting a Wiff

15 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

But I'll bet if someone had shown you the rule, even at an early age, you would have understood it! 😀

I still say "line of flight" is the most misused, made up faux golf standard for a golfers of all ages. 

I was told as a kid, by other kids, if I wasn't careful with my fishing hooks I'd get "lockjaw", lol - I'm sure my parents would have enjoyed that had it happed literally.  

Yeah, I had enough knowledge to know the stroke counted but lacked the understanding to not trust my single-digit friends. 🙂

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

16 hours ago, larrybud said:

The text on their rules websites aren't the same. Did you know that?

They are the same. Have to select "Full Rules" and not use the "Players Edition" to see them.
----------------------------------------------------------
Interpretations says this about a stroke: 

Stroke
Stroke/1 – Determining If a Stroke Was Made
If a player starts the downswing with a club intending to strike the ball, his or her action counts as a stroke when:

• The clubhead is deflected or stopped by an outside influence (such as the branch of a tree) whether or not the ball is struck.
  • The clubhead separates from the shaft during the downswing and the player continues the downswing with the shaft alone, whether or not the ball is struck with the shaft.
  • The clubhead separates from the shaft during the downswing and the player continues the downswing with the shaft alone, with the clubhead falling and striking the ball.

The player’s action does not count as a stroke in each of following situations:

• During the downswing, a player’s clubhead separates from the shaft. The player stops the downswing short of the ball, but the clubhead falls and strikes and moves the ball.
  • During the backswing, a player’s clubhead separates from the shaft. The player completes the downswing with the shaft but does not strike the ball.
  • A ball is lodged in a tree branch beyond the reach of a club. If the player moves the ball by striking a lower part of the branch instead of the ball, Rule 9.4 (Ball Lifted or Moved by Player) applies.

Going back to the OP... this was stated: "the club hit the limb on his backswing and he wiffed."  Simply hitting the tree in the backswing doesn't automatically remove the stroke, if they continued with some sort of downswing. Conversely, just having what appears to be a downswing doesn't automatically make it a stroke, either. Another player, or referee, etc... cannot make the determination for the player.

It would be up to the player to state his INTENT after the situation. Did the player continue with the swing with the intent to hit the ball (which counts as a stroke)? Or, did he miss on purpose on the downswing (to keep their balance, not break the club, etc...), which doesn't count as a stroke (definitions). What is said afterwards becomes important.  

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

7 hours ago, antip said:

Above, Larrybud suggested the USGA and R&A are signed up for different things. And quoting 10.1 said:

"The player must fairly strike at the ball with the head of the club such that there is only momentary contact between the club and the ball"

That implies that contact must be made.

My comments respond to this. 10.1 is about making a stroke (counting stroke) in a wrong/illegitimate way. And 10.1 does not mean a wiff is not a counting stroke.

I agree the bolded portion confuses things and could be taken to mean a whiff does not count as a stroke.  That "clarification" only muddies the water.

Sto Pro Veritate

17 hours ago, larrybud said:

Another example of needing clarification. What if the clubhead is NOT deflected or stopped by an outside influence and misses?

Side note: Why don't the R&A and USGA sites match in the text of their rules?

The OP asked for the rule showing it counts as a stroke in the case he described, and in that situation the club head DID strike the tree.

Sto Pro Veritate

10 hours ago, antip said:

Above, Larrybud suggested the USGA and R&A are signed up for different things. And quoting 10.1 said:

"The player must fairly strike at the ball with the head of the club such that there is only momentary contact between the club and the ball"

That implies that contact must be made.

My comments respond to this. 10.1 is about making a stroke (counting stroke) in a wrong/illegitimate way. And 10.1 does not mean a wiff is not a counting stroke.

I don't remember but did anybody actually say 10.1 "excused" a whiff ?

I don't agree with your "implication". It simply describes what a stroke is. Strike AT the ball. Nowhere does it say HIT the ball.

And while I agree it could've been stated a bit more clearly, there are far more complicated scenarios/descriptions in the ROG than this one.

You swing at the ball intending to hit it, it's a stroke.

And "momentary contact"  is clarified immediately in the same sentence in 10.1, describing what is not considered momentary contact. "and must not push, scrape or scoop the ball."

The visual of "push, scrape or scoop", to ME, once given any thought; clarifies it, at least in my mind.

"Momentary contact" - Club head, moving towards ball, strikes ball, ball leaves club face.

Nowhere (there) is a whiff described nor suggested.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

1 hour ago, nsxguy said:

It was right in the post by Larrybud which antip quoted and you yourself quoted. So let me quote it once more:

"That implies that contact must be made."

Now let's move on, this subject is done.

Edited by Mr. Bean

4 hours ago, Girevik said:

I agree the bolded portion confuses things and could be taken to mean a whiff does not count as a stroke.  That "clarification" only muddies the water.

Absolutely not.

Simply means if there is contact it must be momentary, no "scooping along the ground", etc.

Simply addresses the "how" of making the stroke.

Very clear use of the English language.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Absolutely not.

Simply means if there is contact it must be momentary, no "scooping along the ground", etc.

Exactly.

This is a perfect example of how two separate things regarding a stroke are described in the RoG. All one needs to do is to understand two separate things:

1) What constitutes a stroke, and

2) What kind of stroke is allowed / not allowed WHEN there is a contact with a club and a ball.

Very simple.

Edited by Mr. Bean
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Absolutely not.

I agree that's what it means, but I can also see how a reasonable person might read "such that there is momentarily contact with the ball" as meaning there must be contact for it to be considered a stroke.  I'm not disputing the intent, only that it could have been worded better.

Sto Pro Veritate

4 minutes ago, Girevik said:

I agree that's what it means, but I can also see how a reasonable person might read "such that there is momentarily contact with the ball" as meaning there must be contact for it to be considered a stroke.  I'm not disputing the intent, only that it could have been worded better.

It seems to me that you either do not read the posts here or do not understand what has been written in them.

You cannot take one piece of the Rules and expect it to cover everything. You simply MUST understand the relevance of EVERY Rule and Definition.

IMO the wording in 10.1 is explicitly clear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Bean said:

It was right in the post by Larrybud which antip quoted and you yourself quoted. So let me quote it once more:

"That implies that contact must be made."

Now let's move on, this subject is done.

funnypost.gif

Ahhhh, I'm thinking maybe because he didn't mention 10.1, and/or the fact did he didn't use the phrase "excused a whiff", might've been why I didn't remember somebody mentioning 10.1 or "excusing a whiff". :classic_rolleyes:

Moving on Cap'n,,,,,,,,,  patriot.gif

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Several examples of intention:

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 8* (draw, std) - GD ADXC 7x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - GD ADDI 7x

5 wood: Ping G30 18* - Diamana Blue 83x

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade 2014 TP MC (2* weak);  6-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

SW: Scratch 54* bent to 53* - Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 58* bent to 59* - Ctaper 130x

Putter: Modified Odyssey 7 w/ welded long slant

Man I love the rules forum.

I'm rarely going to enter the fray, but it's so entertaining to follow the discussion. Microcosm of society and all that.

You rules guys (you know who you are), thank you for taking the time and mental energy to dredge through the minutia. 

Always enlightening, always interesting. Keep doing what you do!

• Like 3

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

10 hours ago, nsxguy said:

I don't agree with your "implication". It simply describes what a stroke is. Strike AT the ball. Nowhere does it say HIT the ball.

And while I agree it could've been stated a bit more clearly, there are far more complicated scenarios/descriptions in the ROG than this one.

You swing at the ball intending to hit it, it's a stroke.

And "momentary contact"  is clarified immediately in the same sentence in 10.1, describing what is not considered momentary contact. "and must not push, scrape or scoop the ball."

The visual of "push, scrape or scoop", to ME, once given any thought; clarifies it, at least in my mind.

"Momentary contact" - Club head, moving towards ball, strikes ball, ball leaves club face.

Nowhere (there) is a whiff described nor suggested.

You read it the way you want but if you think it can only be read in one possible way, then we part company. I read it in multiple ways as, in my experience, the diverse audience to this blog can read one set of words and come up with very diverse interpretations.  And I remain of the view that some may read it as justifying/suggesting a wiff is not a counting stroke. Which could have very significant implications even though the likelihood is not high. Hence my post, which I do not believe will lead to any fresh/new misunderstanding of the rules.

• Haha 1

I became "that guy" yesterday because I had to call a match play team on a whiff. Their low player on the hole was trying the old left handed, upside down club and on the second try (first was a whiff) put it to 4ft. It was an incredible shot. He drained the putt and said he was in for 4 because he didn't touch the ball on his first attempt... It's surprising to run into near single digit index players that don't know the rule.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus - 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 16.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 21* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8x  
Ping I20 (4 - GW) - KBS Tour 130 X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 56.14 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 60.10 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Scotty Phantom X 7  

Titleist Pro V1 Ball | NO1 50-PRO Grips | Nikon Coolshot Pro II Rangefinder

13 minutes ago, JJFWebster said:

I became "that guy" yesterday because I had to call a match play team on a whiff. Their low player on the hole was trying the old left handed, upside down club and on the second try (first was a whiff) put it to 4ft. It was an incredible shot. He drained the putt and said he was in for 4 because he didn't touch the ball on his first attempt... It's surprising to run into near single digit index players that don't know the rule.

Incredible!  Just ask if he was trying to hit it.  As above, any attempt to hit the ball is a stroke, hit or miss.  It's not complicated, but the integrity of some players could be in doubt!

Edited by rogolf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He agreed he had attempted the first stroke and accepted the 5. It won us the hole. There was very little small talk after that... $25 entry open match play which is basically for pride. 🤷

• Haha 1

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus - 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 16.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 21* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8x  
Ping I20 (4 - GW) - KBS Tour 130 X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 56.14 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 60.10 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Scotty Phantom X 7  

Titleist Pro V1 Ball | NO1 50-PRO Grips | Nikon Coolshot Pro II Rangefinder

4 hours ago, JJFWebster said:

That's an attractive idea, only count the attempts at the ball that you like.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Girevik said:

No reasonable person would read it that way, it is worded precisely and in context with the rest of the applicable rules for a reason.

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2022 at 12:44 AM, JJFWebster said:

If he had this in the bag he wouldn’t have that happen. 

https://clubproguy.com/products/xe747-punchout-club

😂

Agree with you…there is NO reason for confusion on this rule. I also think the official text should be cleaned up to minimize the confusion evident in this thread. 

• Haha 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

15 minutes ago, mshills said:

Agree with you…there is NO reason for confusion on this rule. I also think the official text should be cleaned up to minimize the confusion evident in this thread. 

I do not see any need for cleaning up as the confusion has been created in the brains of people who have not understood that there is a Rule and a Definition involved.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mshills said:

And "the confusion evident" in this thread could only be because of the official text, right? Those fiends went and put the correct information in places people didn't or couldn't find.

10 hours ago, mshills said:

If he had this in the bag he wouldn’t have that happen. 

https://clubproguy.com/products/xe747-punchout-club

😂

No, instead he would have been DQ'd for use of a non-conforming club!

Poor CPG - the USGA apparently won't budge on their ruling 🤪

• Haha 2

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

• 4 months later...

In the OP's question, he included the phrase "He attempted a swing". You don't need a Rule book to know if you tried to swing and you missed, that's a whiff and a whiff counts. It ain't a subtle question requiring deep Rules knowledge. Anyone who's played golf more than a handful of times knows a whiff counts. They may not like it but they know it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 2:39 PM, Girevik said:

This part of the definition of a stroke would fit the bill:

If a player starts the downswing with a club intending to strike the ball, his or her action counts as a stroke when:

• The clubhead is deflected or stopped by an outside influence (such as the branch of a tree) whether or not the ball is struck.

OP said the player hit the branch on his BACKSWING, not DOWNSWING, then missed the ball, so NOT a stroke IMHO.