MEMBER REVIEWS: Cleveland Launcher XL Driver! See What Members Are Saying!

1 hour ago, JDTex said:

Very interesting note about the standard length on these drivers being long. I don't think I could get used to that head shape though. It is so elongated and then with the graphics on top too....

The graphics honestly aren’t noticeable after you hit maybe 3 balls. They’re understated when compared with a lot of other drivers out there. The matte finish helps with that too. 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 9:13 PM, JDTex said:

Very interesting note about the standard length on these drivers being long. I don't think I could get used to that head shape though. It is so elongated and then with the graphics on top too....

It’s a beast. I will credit them for giving us something “different” to try out. All the other drivers I’ve tried are generally just the same thing one after another with slight tweaks. This one is at least very much different. I wish they could have somehow made it sound like the SIM2 driver. That would be quite a combo…massive distance with better acoustics.

One range session in with the cut down shaft and I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. Solid ball flight, misses were less exaggerated, feels like the flight is a little lower BUT that honestly may have just been my swing today. Need to get it out on the course, I played 18 today in a scramble but it was on a par 3 exec course so the driver stayed in the car.

I continue to be amazed at what putting this driver into "accuracy" length has done. Finding the center of the face is so much easier, and flight is very consistent. I caught one high toe this morning and the ball went very high and a bit short but still extremely straight. 

I'm not entirely thrilled with the sound of this driver, coming from a very muted Callaway it's a noticeable difference in volume and tone, but if I hit them in the fairway, I can gladly overlook the sound. 

• Like 2

Today was not a good day with the Launcher XL. I hit a number of short wipey fades that were almost slices with it, losing 2 balls to the woods on the front 9. No matter what I did I couldn't seem to get the ball to launch straight. Things were good on the range beforehand, but the course was a different story. Could have just been me & my swing to be fair. But I haven't had this bad of a day driving since some lessons last season. I'll give it another go this weekend and see how things work out.

I’ve had this driver all summer. When I bought it, it was at 9*, I faded it for months, I was so frustrated with it and not knowing what was going on, I got online and looked at Cleveland’s specs and read that the 9* was slightly open face, I changed it to 11* slightly closed and it was like night and day change. I have a slow/moderate swing tempo. I 100% feel like this club is geared for slow to moderate swing speed players. The slower I swing this driver, the better the contact, the better the accuracy and it goes longer. I’ve always had a little natural draw and it’s there with this driver. I don’t really miss it right or left, UNLESS, I swing out of my shoes and it snaps left OR my body is out in front and the ball has nowhere else to go but right, and both of these examples would be on me not the club. So I swing easy and it’s a fairway finder for sure!

I really like to try different clubs every year and I’ll probably get rid of it as my wife says I can’t keep them around but this is one I’d like to save.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jsmcdon said:

I’ve had this driver all summer. When I bought it, it was at 9*, I faded it for months, I was so frustrated with it and not knowing what was going on, I got online and looked at Cleveland’s specs and read that the 9* was slightly open face, I changed it to 11* slightly closed and it was like night and day change. I have a slow/moderate swing tempo. I 100% feel like this club is geared for slow to moderate swing speed players. The slower I swing this driver, the better the contact, the better the accuracy and it goes longer. I’ve always had a little natural draw and it’s there with this driver. I don’t really miss it right or left, UNLESS, I swing out of my shoes and it snaps left OR my body is out in front and the ball has nowhere else to go but right, and both of these examples would be on me not the club. So I swing easy and it’s a fairway finder for sure!

I really like to try different clubs every year and I’ll probably get rid of it as my wife says I can’t keep them around but this is one I’d like to save.

I also set mine to 11* and noticed a straighter flight. I may even bump it up to 12* at one point on the range to see how that goes.

One thing I've found about this driver is that it is REALLY sensitive to ball position. I've had drivers that you can have the ball a little higher/lower or further back/front in your stance and it doesn't make a world of difference, Callaway drivers in particular in my personal experience are like that, the flight may be lower/higher but not too bad side to side. The Launcher XL tends to go well right if the ball is any further back than off my front heel, the more forward I have the ball the straighter the flight, even with the shaft cut down to the Accuracy build.

The sound is starting to grow on me, when I catch one in the middle it's a much thicker, solid sound vs catching one on the toe or heel. Even more motivation to hit it well!

10/14 fairways hit today with the Launcher XL. 2 of the misses were just off the fairway and easily playable. The adjustment period took a little longer than I would have liked but now that I’ve got things dialed in I’m very confident with it on the tee. I haven’t adjusted the loft up to 12* like I was considering given how good it’s been lately. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Update: The massive case of the rights has returned with the Launcher XL. Took it out to the range a few times to try and get it straightened out to no avail. Put the Mavrik Max back in the bag for a round of 9 and hit every fairway easily. Could definitely be my 15 hdcp swing but any confidence I had with the Launcher XL is temporarily away on leave. We'll see how things shake out going forward.

Thanks everyone for your continuing contributions to this thread. It has been interesting to read about all of your experiences with the Launcher XL. Our experiences have obviously differed, but there are some common themes.

First, let me say that I am still keeping the Launcher XL in the bag. Overall, I've seen a smidge more distance, on average, over the course of the season.

Although I would agree that the Launcher XL is a bit looser than my previous driver. My misses are more "all over the place" - rather than a consistent miss. But, those misses remain reasonable. So, it may have the ability to miss both ways, but I'm certainly not putting it in the next fairway. Even when I miss, it's generally by just a few feet. 

I am coming to the conclusion that I will probably lop .75 inches off the shaft this winter - to get it to my preferred 44" playing length. Over the past few rounds, I've found that choking up a bit has increased my control.

So, my thinking is that the the Launcher XL head is a good one. Very serviceable for a serious player. Match it with a shaft that works well for you, and it will perform.

Those of you interested in a serious steal should keep your eyes on ebay for cheap Launcher XL heads over the next several years. Maybe it will become an underground cult favorite.

Who knows?

• Like 2

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hey Everyone, just wanted to resurrect this thread...

Zombie Rising from the Grave Poster by Diane Diederich - Fine Art America

As many of you might know...I'm still playing this driver and love it!

It's a classic "sleeper" out there on the market right now.

If you are looking for a solid, affordable driver head - I'd say buy it. Throw a shaft in it that you like, and this thing will perform. No nonsense.

The simple lesson is...you don't have to spend $600+ to get a good driver out on the course. Budget options exist.

• Like 2

or
or
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

• 4 months later...
On 6/23/2023 at 4:22 PM, jholz said:

Hey Everyone, just wanted to resurrect this thread...

Zombie Rising from the Grave Poster by Diane Diederich - Fine Art America

As many of you might know...I'm still playing this driver and love it!

It's a classic "sleeper" out there on the market right now.

If you are looking for a solid, affordable driver head - I'd say buy it. Throw a shaft in it that you like, and this thing will perform. No nonsense.

The simple lesson is...you don't have to spend $600+ to get a good driver out on the course. Budget options exist.

A great head ... I would say it's almost Ping G400 max contender. Mine has has GD HD. Very stable and long. Have you compared to newer drivers?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nicpamchoulman said:

A great head ... I would say it's almost Ping G400 max contender. Mine has has GD HD. Very stable and long. Have you compared to newer drivers?

Holy crap? Another user? I was convinced I was the only one.

Can't see any reason to stray... It's as good as anything else out there currently.

I can't say much about the 400 Max in comparison - but similar design and application philosophy (something you can hit the crap out of and get generally straight results).

I'd honestly love to compare it against a ZX7... 

At the end of the day, the Cleveland it isn't "techy." It might not be sexy. But it does hit the ball good.

Throw in a quality shaft (Vanquish 5x for me) and you aren't giving anything up against any of the other OEM offerings.

Such a sleeper.

or
or