GD Tour AD HD. Very Positive Review

Judge Smails

31 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Thanks man. I have an aggressive transition. Maybe the XC would be worth a try? Tired of the TP going left and high. Of course, it’s a driver head and swing issue, but anything can help. 

So far the XC is the most 'wow' shaft I've played in quite a while. Several guys here swear by it over the Ventus and etc. Now, I can make ANY shaft go left. Come over the top and close the face and off she goes - but with the XC so far that has been pretty minimized with a flatter-lie driver. Now my miss is more of a push and push fade than a hook, using the XC. We'll see how the UB performs.

29 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

XC is definitely worth a try.  The trade off is that it's not as smooth as the UB. 

The XC is giving me a push/push fade as I mentioned above so I'm hoping the UB turns over ever so slightly more - not enough to bring my dreaded lefts and hook back - but enough to bring those back to the fairway rather than leaving the face so open. Lofting up +1 on my driver closes the face too much for me and the D setting give me a weird start line - so I'm hoping the UB profile over the XC gets me where I want.

I also have the IZ to test but tbh dont have high hopes for it. I dont see myself keeping a 'higher launch than my fairways' shaft in the driver but you never know until you try, I guess. Quite a few people surprisingly with the IZ in driver even at a high SS.

I am absolutely in love with the AD TP in my fairways right now so I'm kinda of chasing that in the driver.

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

26 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

So far the XC is the most 'wow' shaft I've played in quite a while. Several guys here swear by it over the Ventus and etc. Now, I can make ANY shaft go left. Come over the top and close the face and off she goes - but with the XC so far that has been pretty minimized with a flatter-lie driver. Now my miss is more of a push and push fade than a hook, using the XC. We'll see how the UB performs.

The XC is giving me a push/push fade as I mentioned above so I'm hoping the UB turns over ever so slightly more - not enough to bring my dreaded lefts and hook back - but enough to bring those back to the fairway rather than leaving the face so open. Lofting up +1 on my driver closes the face too much for me and the D setting give me a weird start line - so I'm hoping the UB profile over the XC gets me where I want.

I also have the IZ to test but tbh dont have high hopes for it. I dont see myself keeping a 'higher launch than my fairways' shaft in the driver but you never know until you try, I guess. Quite a few people surprisingly with the IZ in driver even at a high SS.

I am absolutely in love with the AD TP in my fairways right now so I'm kinda of chasing that in the driver.

Gotta ask… have you tried the TP in a driver? I keep getting professionally fit into the TP in my driver and keep trying to change. I must be a Wrxer! 

Edited by OspreyCI

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

36 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Gotta ask… have you tried the TP in a driver? I keep getting fit into the TP in my driver and keep trying to change. I just be a Wrxer! 

I have but with my old swing. It was about a year ago and my swing was very aggressive, bad tempo, bad wrist positions and mostly timing-based so a recipe for inconsistency. I hated the TP at that time. On a whim I picked one up for a fairway and fell in love with it after changing my swing this year in 2022. Flatter wrist, better tempo, shallow backswing, more stacked - the TP has been performing off the charts in my FWs.

...but I'm trying to avoid it in driver for other reasons;

1) I'm retarded and dont want ALL of my woods in the same shaft. For some reason it doesnt make sense to me mentally lol

2a) I still can get quick/aggressive - especially later in the round - as I turn on autopilot and focus less and softer profiles go crazy on me in the driver; two way miss, etc

2b) I try and bomb my driver more often than not, going back to me being an idiot, so something more stout and slightly lower launch generally helps even if the profile gives me a little low of launch and spin on a nice tempo swing

I will probably grab a TP AGAIN for my driver, eventually, when I find one for a good price under $150 or so and test it against whatever wins out from this batch.

I'm really thinking its between the UB and XC tomorrow. Hoping for the UB because 'new and shiny' (and one of the LPGA players here uses the UB so thats cool) but would keep the XC if its honestly better regardless. The IZ is the dark horse, no idea why I'm testing it. @phizzy30 also said the IZ is a more stout TP in his previous posts even though its a higher launch product on GD 'chart' so who knows 

Edited by third-times-a-charm

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

8 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

XC is definitely anti-left.  UB will be a little easier to turn over.  I'm thinking it's because of the softer mid section.  IZ wasn't a good fit for me in driver as I already hit it high.  I think it's a really good fairway shaft though with the higher launch and manageable spin.  If I were to put it in my 3 metal I would loft down and tip it 1.5 to 2 inches though.  I think you will love the way the UB feels when you test it.  When I had mine, I let a bunch of my low cap buddies and a couple cousins try it out and they all loved the feel. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 6/28/2022 at 8:52 PM, mokedaddy said:

It’s the only driver shaft I’ve ever kept more than a year and it’s been solidly in the bag for the last two and half years.  It’s cured my hoing.

If it cured your hoing..... were you ever a ho?

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

I finally got this beauty on the course this week!

I played a friendly, but intense, match and the shaft held up great, even under pressure.  In a word it was consistent.  Trajectory was very consistent (high but flat) and it was just amazingly accurate.  I hit 11 of 16 fairways on a tight Donald Ross course, which is great for me.

One observation is that, for me, when I tried to over-swing my miss was a BIG block out to the right. However, if I kept my cool and made a nice smooth swing I found the middle of the fairway easily.  I can honestly say that on my good shots I've never been so consistently right smack in the middle of the fairway.  It was remarkable.

This shaft is a winner for me and I think any future ho'ing I do will involve other Graphite Design models.

If any one needs a TX Tensei Blue, White 1k, Orange 1k or Ventus TR 6x , PM me or see my BST thread : )  They are all on the chopping block based on my experience with the AD HD! 

• Like 3

Tsi3 10* Tensel 1k White 70x
Tsi2 16.5* Tour AD TP 8X;

Apex UW 19* Aldila Green 8x

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 iron

2019 T100 Tour issue 5-9 s400

SM9 46F, SM6 54s and 60s s400

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

• 4 months later...
On 6/29/2022 at 2:11 PM, dmeeksDC said:

I thought I liked more of a blueboard profile but through learning about GD shafts from experienced players like yourself, and trying many models, I have found I do well with a stable shaft that has a softer handle so it does not feel too stiff. (In Ventus, I am a fan of the Red.)

I have the XC in driver and the BB in a fairway and if I switched, would probably be for the UB. I like how the softer handle lets me feel the club shallowing at the top. Helps me to be patient with my shoulders/arms so they arrive on time, after my lower body, instead of the other way around. I can hit lots of shafts, but a shaft that helps my sequence puts the ball in the fairway more.

I find the XC easy to fade or draw and it is smoother by a smidge than the BB. GD shafts feel so smooth and yet solid, that’s my favorite thing about them. 

Old thread but been researching gd shafts for a perfect 3w. anyways. i too loveee soft handle profiles (XC, tensei white, diamana) but found butt soft profiles ovalling and shallowing too much.. causing the hands to unload the shaft rather than using body rotation. have you noticed it harder to hit high low spin draws after gaming XC/BB for a bit? 

Qi10 ls: ventus black 6x

- Fine tuning. 

4 hours ago, gbang15 said:

Old thread but been researching gd shafts for a perfect 3w. anyways. i too loveee soft handle profiles (XC, tensei white, diamana) but found butt soft profiles ovalling and shallowing too much.. causing the hands to unload the shaft rather than using body rotation. have you noticed it harder to hit high low spin draws after gaming XC/BB for a bit? 

I tried the HD for a bit but didn't gel with it in 3w. I like ventus black and KK XD in driver. Honestly can't figure out a 3w shaft option either. The KK XD really allows you to swing up aggressively but its not as good in 3w. I had a 5w with GDBB that was just okay but drew too much. 

• Like 1

G425lst Ventus Blk 6x

AI Smoke TD 15

TM Rescue 16

MP20 HMB 4/3 Modus 120x

MP20 MB 5-P Modus 120x

T22 51S 55D T24 59V s400

Oworks 7s

5 hours ago, gbang15 said:

@gbang15 yes I have.  XC has given me a default cut, which is very playable.  But I've noticed that I have to work much harder to hit that high draw.

Regarding your quest for GD 3W shaft, check out the MJ.   I prefer the same shaft profiles you do.  Fell into an MJ 7S that I threw into my 4W (see sig).  It felt a bit soft at first, but I can't argue with the results.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

On 11/7/2022 at 6:35 AM, hagimihale said:

@gbang15 yes I have.  XC has given me a default cut, which is very playable.  But I've noticed that I have to work much harder to hit that high draw.

Regarding your quest for GD 3W shaft, check out the MJ.   I prefer the same shaft profiles you do.  Fell into an MJ 7S that I threw into my 4W (see sig).  It felt a bit soft at first, but I can't argue with the results.

Interesting, appreciate your feedback. I gamed the XC before transitioning into the ventus blk. Both were same low spin, similar launch and ball speed but felt i could sequence a draw swing better with ventus. XC feels so crisp at impact for a tour ad shaft, also looks sweet. 

friend of mine swore by MJ even gamed it to qualify for a double AA league overseas. He said he never felt so in control of the clubhead on the down swing but switched to a lower spinning shaft to squeeze out distance (didnt work too well for him). haven't heard any negative points on MJ... but on paper UB, TP, HD spark my interest for a tight draw shape that feels most similar to ventblack

• Like 1

- Fine tuning. 

On 11/9/2022 at 1:04 PM, gbang15 said:

Interesting, appreciate your feedback. I gamed the XC before transitioning into the ventus blk. Both were same low spin, similar launch and ball speed but felt i could sequence a draw swing better with ventus. XC feels so crisp at impact for a tour ad shaft, also looks sweet. 

friend of mine swore by MJ even gamed it to qualify for a double AA league overseas. He said he never felt so in control of the clubhead on the down swing but switched to a lower spinning shaft to squeeze out distance (didnt work too well for him). haven't heard any negative points on MJ... but on paper UB, TP, HD spark my interest for a tight draw shape that feels most similar to ventblack

I am the polar opposite. Went from a Ventus Black 6S tipped 3/4" that gave me good numbers on my GPS tracked drives, to STELLAR figures on my XC-6S also tipped 3/4". 2022, I am having the best driving numbers in 10+ years, feels like I am younger & great dispersion too. As my golfing mate says "Xtra Curry" 😁

Now. I do have a HD-6X in the wings but i feel that i am better off with my  magic formula of a stiff tipped 3/4" so looking to move that & invest in a new  HD-6S that I can tip

However, right now, not going to upset the combo of my Rogue ST Max & XC-6S

Never looked at Graphite Design till this year, always been a Fujikura fan boy but BY GOD, Graphite Design shafts are utterly 💯AMAZING 👏 for my swing

• Like 3

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

36 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

I am the polar opposite. Went from a Ventus Black 6S tipped 3/4" that gave me good numbers on my GPS tracked drives, to STELLAR figures on my XC-6S also tipped 3/4". 2022, I am having the best driving numbers in 10+ years, feels like I am younger & great dispersion too. As my golfing mate says "Xtra Curry" 😁

Now. I do have a HD-6X in the wings but i feel that i am better off with my  magic formula of a stiff tipped 3/4" so looking to move that & invest in a new  HD-6S that I can tip

However, right now, not going to upset the combo of my Rogue ST Max & XC-6S

Never looked at Graphite Design till this year, always been a Fujikura fan boy but BY GOD, Graphite Design shafts are utterly 💯AMAZING 👏 for my swing

I know how you feel!  something about bagging a graphite design gives me extra confidence.. always had my best rounds with them but been squeezing that extra distance out of envy of Rory haha. definitely will be placing a gd in my fairway metal. gd shafts give that precise feel and have the coolest graphics.. everyone knows you mean business on the tee box when they see those iconic tour ad rings 

• Like 1

- Fine tuning. 

On 11/9/2022 at 3:04 PM, gbang15 said:

The MJ has been my favorite from GD, as it's the closest to a Whiteboard they've made. I can't hang anything negative on the MJ or for any GD Tour AD shafts for that matter. They're the number 1 graphite shaft in Japan, for good reason. It doesn't hurt that they use the best available Mitsubishi Chemical materials in their shafts.

You just need to have a solid understanding of your swing and what you need. Or better yet, go to one of their fitters and have them fit you to the correct one for you.

In the past year I've tried the XC, IZ, and GP and loved the way they felt in my hands and they performed very well. They just couldn't knock my X'17 out of the bag. I may go back to a MJ for my 7WD though.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

9 minutes ago, nitram said:

The MJ has been my favorite from GD, as it's the closest to a Whiteboard they've made. I can't hang anything negative on the MJ or for any GD Tour AD shafts for that matter. They're the number 1 graphite shaft in Japan, for good reason. It doesn't hurt that they use the best available Mitsubishi Chemical materials in their shafts.

You just need to have a solid understanding of your swing and what you need. Or better yet, go to one of their fitters and have them fit you to the correct one for you.

In the past year I've tried the XC, IZ, and GP and loved the way they felt in my hands and they performed very well. They just couldn't knock my X'17 out of the bag. I may go back to a MJ for my 7WD though.

Fitting would be a great solution but they do not carry the tx flexes at most club champions around the California area. so I’m left with research and trial and error 😕 

I agree, understanding your swing to the tee is crucial but even so you never know the true results especially when tipping in fairway woods comes into play.  

I’m a fairly young buck who’s very fortunate to have the time to invest in my body. I was able to increase my speed from 173 ball speed avg to 179 avg on foresight while changing shot shape. But, that also meant an equipment update was needed for optimal dispersion 

looking at an mj 7tx in the bay for only $100... sounds like I might have to go for it. Either that or the tp. Either way it’s all in good fun! 

• Like 1

- Fine tuning. 

7 minutes ago, gbang15 said:

Fitting would be a great solution but they do not carry the tx flexes at most club champions around the California area. so I’m left with research and trial and error 😕 

I agree, understanding your swing to the tee is crucial but even so you never know the true results especially when tipping in fairway woods comes into play.  

I’m a fairly young buck who’s very fortunate to have the time to invest in my body. I was able to increase my speed from 173 ball speed avg to 179 avg on foresight while changing shot shape. But, that also meant an equipment update was needed for optimal dispersion 

looking at an mj 7tx in the bay for only $100... sounds like I might have to go for it. Either that or the tp. Either way it’s all in good fun! 

How far are you from Carlsbad? Or better yet, call Pro's Choice and they will tell you where someone has TX to try.

Edited by nitram

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

10 minutes ago, nitram said:

How far are you from Carlsbad? Or better yet, call Pro's Choice and they will tell you where someone has TX to try.

close to 2-3 hours including traffic. that’s a good idea.. , I haven’t thought of calling pros choice. I’ll definitely consider it !

- Fine tuning. 

• 6 months later...

Older thread, but I thought I would add my experience. I have been playing XC 6 TX for almost 2 years. The TX is just a slightly heavier shaft than the X and does not feel like an XS pole. I have been speed training and have seen more increase in ball speed with the 3 wood (Evenflow White 75 6.0) than with the driver. Today I went to my fitter and challenged him to see if we could go a little lighter and try to get that ball speed up along with getting my ball flight up as my average flight went from 90 to about 75 feet. 

First stop was to add 1* on the XC. It made a difference and brought the flight up with dispersion being center and right. Then we went with a UB and saw things tighten up with dispersion slightly left, center and right. Then he slipped in a HD 5 X. Holy cow, center, center, center with a slight draw left of center as the miss with ball flight window at 95 feet. Even after hitting 60 balls, I couldn't miss. Swing speed was up and ball speed was consistently 3 mph faster and about 10 yards of carry. Anyway, I pick it up tomorrow and will get it out on the course this weekend and report back. 

What I felt - XC is extremely stable with not too much kick to feel, UB had a more pronounced kick, but the HD was weirdly smooth and felt point and shoot with a mild kick. The miss was a slight draw, with some of the straightest ball flights I have ever seen. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

I have a 9TX I am going to build for a 41.5” Stealth Plus 5 wood. 

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

• 2 weeks later...

i play ad tp hd xc iz in driver got a gp to take out next week

i felt tp was best for me then xc hd iz launch and spun to much.

with hd i felt like i had to wait for it and if i released to early it would kick unpredictably sometime left sometime right.

tp and xc kept up. and when my tempo went they didn't punish me as much

• 2 months later...

Just to update this old thread. I am back in the HD 5x after an injury kept me away for 6 weeks. I have to say that ball speed is a very consistent measure of this on the launch monitor. On course, a smoother transition works well and I was able to play some of my biggest bombs I have ever hit on the front nine. As I get to the back 9, I got a case with of the quick lefts (with driver, 4w, even a dang 7 iron) but was able to straighten it out to hit a fabulous drive on 18. 

As someone stated above, the XC was my shaft for a long while and as heavy (for me) as I played it, 6TX vs now a 5X (7 grams), it was a little more anti-left than my experience yesterday on the back nine with HD. Because I started yanking everything left, I know it was my tendency to quick and handsy. but I felt that fault was probably encouraged by the XC. The HD is a get the path right and hit it, without feeling like I have to get my hands too overly involved to get it moving. The XC seems like it’s a little more work, but the smoothness is phenomenal.

Edited by TourSpoon
Sp
  • Like 2

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 7:09 AM, TourSpoon said:

Just to update this old thread. I am back in the HD 5x after an injury kept me away for 6 weeks. I have to say that ball speed is a very consistent measure of this on the launch monitor. On course, a smoother transition works well and I was able to play some of my biggest bombs I have ever hit on the front nine. As I get to the back 9, I got a case with of the quick lefts (with driver, 4w, even a dang 7 iron) but was able to straighten it out to hit a fabulous drive on 18. 

As someone stated above, the XC was my shaft for a long while and as heavy (for me) as I played it, 6TX vs now a 5X (7 grams), it was a little more anti-left than my experience yesterday on the back nine with HD. Because I started yanking everything left, I know it was my tendency to quick and handsy. but I felt that fault was probably encouraged by the XC. The HD is a get the path right and hit it, without feeling like I have to get my hands too overly involved to get it moving. The XC seems like it’s a little more work, but the smoothness is phenomenal.

I just asked this same question on the AD UB thread, but seeing as you’ve played the HD 5X, I’ll ask you too. 
I currently have an AD UB 6S untipped in my driver and it has been great for me. Im at 106-7ish mph with a relatively smooth transition. I now have an opportunity to get an HD 5X at a great price, and being unable to leave well enough alone, it has my attention. A certain shaft data website shows the stiffness and torque to be very similar between the two, and I’m hoping to get a similar feel and flight with a maybe a little more CHS out of the HD at 6g lighter. Any guess as to how they might compare? Thanks.

On 9/26/2023 at 7:10 PM, Left-of-left said:

I just asked this same question on the AD UB thread, but seeing as you’ve played the HD 5X, I’ll ask you too. 
I currently have an AD UB 6S untipped in my driver and it has been great for me. Im at 106-7ish mph with a relatively smooth transition. I now have an opportunity to get an HD 5X at a great price, and being unable to leave well enough alone, it has my attention. A certain shaft data website shows the stiffness and torque to be very similar between the two, and I’m hoping to get a similar feel and flight with a maybe a little more CHS out of the HD at 6g lighter. Any guess as to how they might compare? Thanks.

So for me, the HD5X produced a consistent 1 mph club head increase over the UB6 with a 2-3 mph ball speed increase because the smash went up for whatever reason. Over the HD it was even greater and verified indoors with Trackman and outdoors with GC3.  

Reflecting back on my previous comments, I am realizing that the HD is a lot less work than the XC. I think my transition was getting out of sync because of the XC. With the HD I  just have to smooth it out there and resist the urge to throw my hands at it. The smoother my transition is the farther it goes and the better it translates into my wedge game. 

• Like 1

Not trying to hijack this thread as I do wave the UB in my Paradym X 3W and just waiting for a nice day to use it. I had the HD in a Rogue ST Max D and it was money for me.  My question is I'm also curious as to how does the GD AD IZ 4 (Lite) feel as I'm a senior golfer and want to use it in a Aerojet LS 10.5* 50th Anniversary Edition. Has anyone used such a lite shaft from Graphite Design especially in their driver

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

58 minutes ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Not trying to hijack this thread as I do wave the UB in my Paradym X 3W and just waiting for a nice day to use it. I had the HD in a Rogue ST Max D and it was money for me.  My question is I'm also curious as to how does the GD AD IZ 4 (Lite) feel as I'm a senior golfer and want to use it in a Aerojet LS 10.5* 50th Anniversary Edition. Has anyone used such a lite shaft from Graphite Design especially in their driver

The R2 flexes? My wife uses them and loves them.

Keep in mind with any of the 40 and 50g shafts with GD, they spin/launch "one level" more than their 60g+ counterparts. The stiffness ratings are approximately the same - relatively (softer overall, obviously) - but if the shaft was mid/mid-low it is now a high/mid launch/spin shaft.

Well, this should be fine as I’m picking up the Aerojet LS low spin low launch so that will help even things out. I’m hoping. Well I’m 68 and I would like to give a lighter senior shaft a go 

Edited by Tiptx1122

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

• 1 month later...

Bringing up this thread for some advice.

I ordered from Callaway pre-owned HD6s and they accidentally shipped me an HD5s.

My question is will they play that much different. I am fine with the 59 grams vs 66. My biggest concern is the torque rating goes up from 3.1 to 4.4.

They are going to ship me the HD6 and told me to just ship back whichever one I don't like.

However I preferred them to a home in USA where I will only be staying for 5 days so will not have a lot of time to really do a proper comparison of the 2.

So I am wondering if anyone has tried both and can comment on distance dispersion and spin differences between the 5 and 6.

10 hours ago, mitchdoc said:

I ordered from Callaway pre-owned HD6s and they accidentally shipped me an HD5s.

My question is will they play that much different. I am fine with the 59 grams vs 66. My biggest concern is the torque rating goes up from 3.1 to 4.4.

They are going to ship me the HD6 and told me to just ship back whichever one I don't like.

However I preferred them to a home in USA where I will only be staying for 5 days so will not have a lot of time to really do a proper comparison of the 2.

So I am wondering if anyone has tried both and can comment on distance dispersion and spin differences between the 5 and 6.

Really is up to your swing so can't say. Maybe if your SS is on the lower end of whatever range and you need more launch the 5 is better? If you wanted a 6 and play 60g-class shafts I would just put the 6 in. 

11 hours ago, mitchdoc said:

I went from a 6tx in the XC to a 5x in the HD and picked up 2 mph in clubhead speed and 3-4 mph in ball speed. The biggest difference in the weighting (and I know the XC is a different beast but I also had the Tensei Raw White X, Even Flow White 6.0 as well coming in at @67 grams) was that I had to get used to not over releasing the club. Now the swing is a normal release with increased speed. As to the spin and launch, I had to bump up my head to 10.5 in the HD to get the spin into the 2200-2400 window along with a 13-14 degree launch angle. This sounds backwards, but the 5x launched and spun lower than the heavier shafts given the same loft. I think once you get them side by side you should know fairly quickly what is what.