2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best grips for grip in wet conditions?

infinii

I sweat a lot and out here in Asia where it's +36C with humidity above 90% during the summers, I'm having grip problems. Currently playing with (new this season) Golf Pride MCC and getting slippage by the end of the round. I noticed that the bottom half (without cord) was more slippery than the top corded section. Is full cord the ideal grip in the rain?

What are the best grips for wet/moist conditions. Durability is also a consideration. Tried those Winn type grips many years ago and found that they wore out too quickly.

Titleist TRS4 9*

Titleist 917 f2 3w 16.5*

Callaway UW 21*

Mizuno MP4 4-P

Vokey SM9 50/56/60

L.A.B Direct Force 2.1

I have found the material is less critical than the grip being fairly new and quite clean.  If it remains supple you have a chance.  Once it begins to harden and/or becomes dirty/oily, you're out of luck.

FWIW, while this may seem counterintuitive, I've had best luck with Tour Velvet and little luck with MCC.

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

56 minutes ago, IC3BURGH said:

The absolute best grips in wet/humid are leather grips. I don’t care for the sticky feeling though. If you can get past that and the price, you can’t beat them. 

Doesn't leather get hard and slippery with age?

Titleist TRS4 9*

Titleist 917 f2 3w 16.5*

Callaway UW 21*

Mizuno MP4 4-P

Vokey SM9 50/56/60

L.A.B Direct Force 2.1

Leather if you’re looking for just a grip solution. My favorite is Best Grips microperf. But Gripmaster has solid choices as well and more prevalent in Asia. I’d look at a Swinger or Tour Wrap. Not familiar with some of the other leathers (kidd, etc) so read up on their website.

if you’re not keen on leather, as said above, rain gloves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, infinii said:

I sweat a lot and out here in Asia where it's +36C with humidity above 90% during the summers, I'm having grip problems. Currently playing with (new this season) Golf Pride MCC and getting slippage by the end of the round. I noticed that the bottom half (without cord) was more slippery than the top corded section. Is full cord the ideal grip in the rain?

What are the best grips for wet/moist conditions. Durability is also a consideration. Tried those Winn type grips many years ago and found that they wore out too quickly.

52 minutes ago, IC3BURGH said:

The absolute best grips in wet/humid are leather grips. I don’t care for the sticky feeling though. If you can get past that and the price, you can’t beat them. 

Agree with IC3, there is nothing that can compete with leather in damp conditions.  I've been using GripMaster Roo, Master (the large perforations), and Kidd grips.  They're all great, which you prefer depends on how much tack you want.

I'm starting to lean towards preferring the Masters a bit.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

6 minutes ago, infinii said:

Doesn't leather get hard and slippery with age?

The leather from 50 years ago, possibly, haven't heard that with the modern leather grips.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, 596 said:

The best grips for humidity are "rain gloves".  They are made to work when wet.  Sometimes its so humid here that at times I have to wear one on both hands.

Humid summer time combo is rain glove and cords. I tried leather grips, agree 100% they are amazing in the wet but the feel is not for everyone. 

I don't know is HIRSL is still in business, but they used so sell a glove with a very tacky leather palm. It was a great substitute for leather grips.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

1 minute ago, GooseHook said:

Humid summer time combo is rain glove and cords. I tried leather grips, agree 100% they are amazing in the wet but the feel is not for everyone. 

I don't know is HIRSL is still in business, but they used so sell a glove with a very tacky leather palm. It was a great substitute for leather grips.

I've tried a bunch of rain gloves.  My favorites are Mizuno.  Paired with Jumbo Max Tour large grips and I have no problems in Florida. With the JM grips a lot of times I play with no glove.  Only need the glove when it gets really humid this time of the year. 

2 hours ago, infinii said:

Gripmasters

obtainable  in Bangok

• Like 1

I have used Lamkin Crossline Cord Mid-size for 24 years now , never had an issue with sweat or traction. I play all over from Florida during the winter, humid New England summers, to Irish rain they are the best for me ! 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya Chrome 6TF5 

3 Wood: Tour Edge CBX 119 16.5 w/ PX Evenflow Blue 6.5

Hybrid: Fourteen Prototype 2 iron Bent to 20* w/ UST Mamiya Proto 125 X

Irons: Fourteen FH1000 4-PW 1*Strong/1*Up w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

GW: Fourteen RM12 - 50/10   w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

SW:  Fourteen RM12 – 54.5/10.5   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

LW:  Fourteen RM12 - 59/9   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

Putter: Odyssey 1W Milled / EVNROLL ER2 @ 34”,4* & 71* w/ Ionmic Mid Size

Ball: Taking Applications For Open Position !!! 

Leather grips for sure, but some models are more tacky than others. The Micro Perf is the tackiest Best Grips has. The classic Wrap is the tackiest Grip Master has. I have BG Micro Perfs, TGM Classic Wraps, TGM Classic Perf stitchback & TGM Roo stitchback. All are fantastic grips. If you install them with DS tape and solvent. MAKE SURE all solvent is removed from the outside of the grip with soap & water or they can become slick due to the oils in the solvent. I install all mine with blue painters tape, soap solution and air. Soap solution is 1 tsp dishwashing liquid in 1 L of water. Put in a general purpose spray bottle, shake well and lightly spray the tape RIGHT before putting the grip on. If you wait more than a minute, the tape will soften and let go. I have no slippage with this method.

BT 

• Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

On the flip side Winn Excel Wrap are the worst. When they get wet they soak up water like a sponge. On some occasions after getting soaked I was still squeezing water out of them the next day. I switched to Winn Dri-Tac, and they were much better. I now have JumboMax, and they don't absorb water at all, and aren't particularly slippery when wet. (I wonder if Jon Bon Jovi plays them?)

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

I wish Oakley would release grips made of Unobtainium for us high humidity players. That itty bitty nose pad hangs on to my sweaty-oily-August-in-the-Southeast US-face like glue.  And if it is tough enough for motocross grips (it’s original use) it can take just about whatever abuse we can throw at it.

I play Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4 grips and they work fine in light drizzles and obviously dry conditions.  However in heavier rains the best option for me is to put on a pair of rain gloves. Absolutely no slip.  Working from the premise that most rounds played are in dry conditions, why not get the best fitting/feeling grip and then when it does rain or your hands get very sweaty simply put on the rain gloves.  Simple fix.  

On 6/29/2022 at 8:22 AM, joeburger said:

Love Lamkin UTx. Will put on every single club from here til my death.

These are great in the rain and humidity. I have these on my wedges and woods, just waiting for my old z5's to wear out to do the rest of the set. I wish they still made the red UTX. I feel like it had more tack to it vs the grey UTX.

On 6/29/2022 at 8:22 AM, hurley999s said:

Leather if you’re looking for just a grip solution. My favorite is Best Grips microperf. But Gripmaster has solid choices as well and more prevalent in Asia. I’d look at a Swinger or Tour Wrap. Not familiar with some of the other leathers (kidd, etc) so read up on their website.

if you’re not keen on leather, as said above, rain gloves. 

I use Best Grips on my putters and during wet/hot humid rounds it is almost like there is pine tar on my grip. I love it as it allows me to grip the putter light. The grips from Best Grips don't wear out. They wear in. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 6:29 AM, NRJyzr said:

The leather from 50 years ago, possibly, haven't heard that with the modern leather grips.

I have sunday set of Spalding irons that date back to the 60s that I picked up at the thrift store. The original leather grips are still fairly tacky, totally playable in spite of the rubber end caps shrinking and coming unglued.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SOVAhack said:

I am an absolute junky for Pure DTX grips. Unbelievably grippy without shredding your hands. Very easy to get a very firm secure grip with these. First thing I do when I order a club is swap grip out for my DTX's.

https://www.puregrips.com/products/pure-dtx

+1 on the Pure DTX.. An outstanding wet weather grip and lasts forever!

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Scotty Cameron  Del Mar - California 

Jones  Rover R Utility

On 6/29/2022 at 9:36 PM, bvmagic said:

My hands sweat a lot as well living in FL.  I like the Iomic evolution grips, the extra texture added to the grip gives good traction that runs along the whole grip for both hands.  

This question pops up every once in awhile, and I don't think people understand what it's really like playing in parts of Asia like Thailand and Indonesia.  The best grips have cord, like a Lamkin UTX, or the Iomic Evolution or Sticky models that are urethane as rubber is pretty useless. Leather absorbs moisture and swells over time until it degrades at a rapid pace. The Iomic last longer than anything and work the best of everything I've tested.  It's why you see it on a lot of Asian Tour players' grips.

On a side note if you do make it down this way, don't bring anything made of synthetic fibres as it's murder on your skin. You'll break out in rashes from the heat and sweat, because it's literally like a sauna when you're outside.

• Like 3

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D2.5) 18GB, 8GF 45.5"

(testing) Diamana PD 60TX (D5) 18GB, 16GF 45.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i

T20 50.07, T24 54.08D, Callaway Jaws Raw 60.08C, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34"  Callaway Tour X

10 hours ago, aussieb said:

This question pops up every once in awhile, and I don't think people understand what it's really like playing in parts of Asia like Thailand and Indonesia.  The best grips have cord, like a Lamkin UTX, or the Iomic Evolution or Sticky models that are urethane as rubber is pretty useless. Leather absorbs moisture and swells over time until it degrades at a rapid pace. The Iomic last longer than anything and work the best of everything I've tested.  It's why you see it on a lot of Asian Tour players' grips.

On a side note if you do make it down this way, don't bring anything made of synthetic fibres as it's murder on your skin. You'll break out in rashes from the heat and sweat, because it'smntj literally like a sauna when you're outside.k

Just back from the Range 100 miles south of Bangkok .even for here its hot and humid.I bought some lamkin asian/ undersized and after 30 shots needed towel drying.me too!

On 6/30/2022 at 12:56 PM, kb7 said:

These are great in the rain and humidity. I have these on my wedges and woods, just waiting for my old z5's to wear out to do the rest of the set. I wish they still made the red UTX. I feel like it had more tack to it vs the grey UTX.

I use Best Grips on my putters and during wet/hot humid rounds it is almost like there is pine tar on my grip. I love it as it allows me to grip the putter light. The grips from Best Grips don't wear out. They wear in. 

Glad to hear someone else loves the UTx too. Feel like I don't see too many people with them. I still rock the blue UTx.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 2:45 PM, alittleoverpar said:

+1 on the Pure DTX.. An outstanding wet weather grip and lasts forever!

Also a DTX guy.  I've played some hot weather rounds without a glove, and never had a problem... love the traction and durability.  Cord might still be better for wet, then leather as best.  Rain gloves for sure.

For sweaty hands this also seems to work well:

Tite Grip II All-Sport Topical Antiperspirant Hand Lotion/Non-Slip Grip Enhancement https://a.co/d/3vxzX1H

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf