2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

October Wisconsin Golf Trip

Shipwreck

4 hours ago, Phreddy said:

If you visit one of Mike Keiser's properties (Bandon, Sand Valley, Cabot) it is about the golf.  The food is good and the beer is cold, but first it is about the golf.  That is what he had in mind when he built them and that is the way he operates them.  Whether that is good or bad is up to you to decide, but every place has its vibe and that is theirs.

Yeah no doubt. Most of us won’t care, most of my group is prioritizing the golf. We just had 1 or 2 people to round out our group that don’t play more than a handful of times year and were looking to be involved in a guys trip. Those 2 saw the sandbox marketing (shoes off, group of 8 buddies, with a beer from a canoe, playing a short par 3) and gravitated to that more. They will be fine, but I was initially concerned the entire resort went dry or something and these guys would feel like I lied to them. 

2 hours ago, jwhite86 said:

I really enjoyed the pace of play not being ruined by a constant bev cart or people waiting at a bar for drinks on the course... but I'm not a big proponent of drinking on the course

100% on pace of play. It grinds my gears when it’s the group getting drinks every three holes or something and the entire group thinks they need huddle around the cart when the drinks are being made.

• Like 2

I was gonna look into Sand Valley but they close on the 16th of October. Maybe next year. 

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

• 3 weeks later...

Getting closer to finally coming out! Not that I expect the course conditions to change a whole lot in the next 3 weeks, does anyone have any insight as to current conditions at:

Straits Course

Blackwolf Run Courses

The Bull 

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I'd assume they are all in good conditions.  I was tempted to book a tee time at Blackwolf the 2nd to last weekend of October when greens fees drop to $170 but I put the clubs away last weekend and will likely keep them put away.   

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

24 minutes ago, bcc624 said:

Coming to Wisconsin and sand valley late on Wednesday night. Looks like cold weather and air  is pushing through for the weekend :(. Just my luck.

My cousin caddies at Sand Valley, I think it closes very soon, The caddies love it then, they can play for a few weeks when ever they want then

If you have a choice request Nic Behl, He has been there for a few years at least, I;m sure knows the course very very well.

Edited by Wham49
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

My cousin caddies at Sand Valley, I think it closes very soon, The caddies love it then, they can play for a few weeks when ever they want then

If you have a choice request Nic Behl, He has been there for a few years at least, I;m sure knows the course very very well.

SV closes on the 16th unfortunately. 

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

• 2 weeks later...

As a person with family all over NE OH, with airlines issues, rental car costs, and with clubs, I highly recommend driving.  There is some construction around O'Hare, but a couple options for driving routes.  Honestly, depending on where you are coming from, even with traffic, by the time you travel to CLE, check-in, fly, get bags, pick up car, and drive north, you will likely arrive after someone who drove.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home from my Wisconsin adventure and I honestly could not have had a better time. The weather was absolutely perfect for the whole weekend (Tuesday being the exception) with temps in the 60s-70s and even though it was windy, it made for an incredible trip. Unfortunately my Arizona golf game was ill prepared for what lie ahead as you will see from my scores (I am a 4.5hc for reference)

Friday I played The Bull, one of my favorite courses ever and it did not disappoint. Greens were 12s. Course was lush. A beautiful start to the trip. Shot 86 from the blues (6900 yards)

Saturday was Straits, my second time playing it. I carried my bag and paid the price for choosing the wrong shoes for that round. Got a nice blister on a few of my right toes but still was a beautiful day. Another 86 from the blues (7200 yards). We did an Irish replay after the round. Didn’t keep score for that one. 

Sunday was BWR Meadow Valleys. Wind was even worse than Straits. My drives were MAYBE going 210-220 when it was dead into. This was my worst round of golf of the trip and my worst round of the last year. Made par on 18 to shoot 96 from the blacks (7250 yards) 

Monday was BWR River. The only way to describe it is stunningly beautiful and incredibly challenging. Wind was steady but manageable. Hit some great shots. Hit some shots I’d rather not talk about. A smooth 87 from the blues (6900 yards). 

Final round was back at the Bull. It was cold. It was rainy off and on. It was perfect. Greens were a hair slower than Friday, so I’ll use that excuse for my terrible 89 after I tripled 16 and doubled 18. 

• Like 1

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Im happy your trip worked out.  Weather is a complete crap shoot for any trip and particularly dicey late fall in Wisconsin.

The Straits gets all the accolades and TV time, but for my money BWR is one of the most beautiful and challenging courses you can play.

• Like 2

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

You got some really nice weather, with the exception of yesterday.  Great pics

Having now played all the Kohler courses and The Bull, I will still say that the back 9 on the MV course is my favorite 9 hole stretch on all of those courses.

• Like 2

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil 95

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

11 minutes ago, Phreddy said:

Im happy your trip worked out.  Weather is a complete crap shoot for any trip and particularly dicey late fall in Wisconsin.

The Straits gets all the accolades and TV time, but for my money BWR is one of the most beautiful and challenging courses you can play.

Yeah I feel the same way about the Straits. We only played it because the 3 guys that came out with me had it as a bucket list course and that’s where it sits for me. Not something I’d want to play with any sort of regularity. 

7 minutes ago, jwhite86 said:

You got some really nice weather, with the exception of yesterday.  Great pics

Having now played all the Kohler courses and The Bull, I will still say that the back 9 on the MV course is my favorite 9 hole stretch on all of those courses.

That back 9 is a beast!!! 18 is such a great finishing hole. And don’t get me started on number 15. From the back tees to the pin it was 217 with wind dead into. All of us hit driver. 2 were on the green and the other two were off to the right. IMHO you can’t beat The Bull for the price. It may not have the prestige of BWR or WS but conditions, views and difficulty are there. 

• Like 1

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Great picks.   I was in the area on Friday and swung into the Blackwolf pro shop and took some pics from the back deck.   Looked gorgeous out there as your pics can attest.   I'm surprised you played some of the back tees.   When I go to those places I like to usually tee it up between 6600-6800 yards and make it slightly more enjoyable.  Glad it worked out and you had fun. 

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

7 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

Yeah I feel the same way about the Straits. We only played it because the 3 guys that came out with me had it as a bucket list course and that’s where it sits for me. Not something I’d want to play with any sort of regularity. 

That back 9 is a beast!!! 18 is such a great finishing hole. And don’t get me started on number 15. From the back tees to the pin it was 217 with wind dead into. All of us hit driver. 2 were on the green and the other two were off to the right. IMHO you can’t beat The Bull for the price. It may not have the prestige of BWR or WS but conditions, views and difficulty are there. 

I try to play the original Blackwolf course in late fall and will play one from the tips on that hole (front nine on that layout)🙃.....I think front hole location is the hardest,but🤔, a beast from the tips! I'll typically play the greens out there which is ~6400 and plenty challenging for me!

Milwaukee Country Club is usually rated as one of, if not, the best course in the state.  I'm not sure that is true, although I would say it has the best group of par 3's I'v played as a group, the conditioning is excellent plus and the view from the 10th tee is spectacular.  It was and is the blue blood club in Milwaukee.  You could not play it as a non-member unless your were the accompanied guest of a member.  Period.  You could, once or twice a year win an on-line auction for The First Tee or the Evan's Scholarship programs to play as a 3 some with a member.

I have heard that next year you can play as an unaccompanied guest for $400 plus caddie.  I am not sure what other restrictions might apply, and it may be limited to out-of-state club referrals.  I think the idea is to take advantage of the Kohler, SV & Erin Hills loop that is driving a lot of summer golf tourism.

I might be full of it, but that is what I have heard.  It would be a seismic change in policy.

https://www.golfcoursegurus.com/reviews/milwaukee-country-club/

Phred

Edited by Phreddy

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

8 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

That and #5 are my two favorite holes, I'd give the nod to #16, love that hole, so pretty and a nice  short/ish par 4 that demands a solid tee ball.  It looks so tight off the tee but there is room.  Conservative is the play.  I hit 3w or 3h and hope the pin is up front!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ode said:

That and #5 are my two favorite holes, I'd give the nod to #16, love that hole, so pretty and a nice  short/ish par 4 that demands a solid tee ball.  It looks so tight off the tee but there is room.  Conservative is the play.  I hit 3w or 3h and hope the pin is up front!

16 is a great hole. I took 3w on my first drive and cold topped it. Reloaded and almost went through the fairway. Pin was front right and I was blocked out by the trees on the right so I had to lay up. Didn’t convert the up and down. 

#5 is a beautiful golf hole. Really demands 2 good shots to get to the green. I’m honestly surprised at how inexpensive the membership is for The Bull 

• Like 1

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

6 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

16 is a great hole. I took 3w on my first drive and cold topped it. Reloaded and almost went through the fairway. Pin was front right and I was blocked out by the trees on the right so I had to lay up. Didn’t convert the up and down. 

#5 is a beautiful golf hole. Really demands 2 good shots to get to the green. I’m honestly surprised at how inexpensive the membership is for The Bull 

Yes those big pines are typically what I try to be on the left side of or draw my tee ball off of.  Been there, done that with being blocked out, as well as in that green side bunker as a result of having to aim left on the approach.

• Like 1