Breaking in new clubs

It takes me a few range and or launch monitor sessions before my first round of golf with new clubs. The range/launch monitor sessions are used to identify yardages, trajectories, and shot shapes. I usually spend 3-months to decide if the new clubs will replace old clubs. I use the Shot Scope V3 watch now so I can get shot data to confirm golf course performance.

"Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition.  Awards become corroded, friends gather no dust." -- Jesse Owens

14 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I’ve heard the best out there know after half a dozen swings.

I usually give it about 10-20 swings outdoors on the range.

This is me as well.  I am not a club ho, but have a large collection from over the past 50 years.  Also, I know exactly how I want my club to fit.  I'm not talking about "+1/2" and 1° flat."  I am talking about knowing the exact lie and length that suits my swing with each stick.  Knowing the difference between a Mizuno and a Ping standard stock makes a world of difference for instance.

Take these two iron sets below from roughly the same year (top is i200, bottom is MP-18 MMC).  If you apply the same standard to those sets, you end up with radically different adjustments.  

I know that I want my 7i at 37.75" and a 64° lie angle, etc...  So I'm 95% of the way home at time of selection.  The rest is swing weight, feel, shaft selection, and grip.  All of those I can determine within a dozen swings.

My $0.02 worth.

i200 specs.JPG

MP-18 MMC Specs.JPG

Edited by OnTheBag
  • Like 1

A few months minimum to really feel 100% dialed in. And I won't yank in less than a year. But I'm also the antithesis of a ho. I don't buy unless I know it will work and I expect to get 5 years minimum out of clubs, barring maybe wedges and putters. 

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

I got a set of ping g710 and after about a year and a half I went back to ping  iE1.

I think my the g710 forgave a bad round while the iE1 rewarded a good one.    

Stealth 10.5° @9° w/Ventus Velocore red 5s

Callaway 4+ steelhead XR tensi blue 65 S
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s 
Ping iE1 DG120 S300 4-UW

Cleveland RTX zipcore Raw 56°- 60º 

Mizuno D. Mills workshop lll  

For me it takes one round. Can I hit my windows when I need to hit shots? I can make anything work on the range or in the simulator..

• Like 1

Callaway TD 9* w/Autoflex sf505X
TM....Sim Ti 3 wood W/Hzrdus Smoke ts70-S

Callaway Heaven Wood W/Tensei White 75-S

Mizuno 223 4-PW w/Steelfiber-i95s

Callaway 57*PM Grind, Vokey 51* SM8

Scotty Big Sur Broomstick..46”
Ping L8 Bag
Titleist ProV1

48 minutes ago, OnTheBag said:

This is me as well.  I am not a club ho, but have a large collection from over the past 50 years.  Also, I know exactly how I want my club to fit.  I'm not talking about "+1/2" and 1° flat."  I am talking about knowing the exact lie and length that suits my swing with each stick.  Knowing the difference between a Mizuno and a Ping standard stock makes a world of difference for instance.

Take these two iron sets below from roughly the same year (top is i200, bottom is MP-18 MMC).  If you apply the same standard to those sets, you end up with radically different adjustments.  

I know that I want my 7i at 37.75" and a 64° lie angle, etc...  So I'm 95% of the way home at time of selection.  The rest is swing weight, feel, shaft selection, and grip.  All of those I can determine within a dozen swings.

My $0.02 worth.

i200 specs.JPG

MP-18 MMC Specs.JPG

I understand the point you are making in regards to lie and length being different between brands, but am I missing something here? It looks like Pings are .25" longer (which is basically a round error) and somewhere between .5* and 1* difference in lie for each iron.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OttoVonBizMarkie said:

I understand the point you are making in regards to lie and length being different between brands, but am I missing something here? It looks like Pings are .25" longer (which is basically a round error) and somewhere between .5* and 1* difference in lie for each iron.

That is correct.  So if you applied an across the board adjustment to all manufacturers, you could have lie angles and length that could vary by 1-2° and .5-1"

Those two are just examples I had handy, but the point is that all manufacturers use different standard stock measurements and you can't apply the same across the board adjustment to all.  Look at say Titleist 716 MB versus Srixon Z Forged (both high quality scratch level irons).  They are essentially the same standard length, but vary between 1°-1.75° standard lie angle different across the set.

Of course, the subtle differences mean more to an aspiring low single or scratch player than they do a high handicapper.

Make sense?

Edited by OnTheBag

A handful of rounds maximum to validate. I don’t change clubs often. I had a set of Callaway XR for six years until I found an easier, longer and better looking set a few weeks ago. 

A couple of years ago a bought a set of G410 that I never trusted. I used them for two months before going back to my XRs. 

Driver, 3 wood, hybrid, putter, wedges for me, right away. Irons, maybe 3 range sessions and a round. I get used to things quickly for some reason.

• Like 1

Dr. Sim2 8° w/ RDX blue 60 6.5

3 Wood. Sim2 15° w/ RDX blue 70 6.5

Hybrid. Titleist 818H2 w/ Tensei 90x

4 to GW. Mizuno Pro 223 w/ dg120 x100

SW and Lw. 54° and 58° Milled grind raw w/ dg s200

Putter. Taylormade Ardmore 2, 33 inches

Putter. Odyssey OG 1ws, 33 inches

Ball. Taylormade TP5x

I can usually tell the first few hits of something will work or not. Sometimes it takes a few rounds, but if it doesn't feel right from the start, it likely won't be.

I was a huge ho during the pandemic but my bag has been mostly stable this year. I do like trying new stuff, but I'm really liking my bag right now. 

• Like 3

PXG 0211 with Hzrdus Black RDX 60

PXG 0211 5 and 7 wood 

Adams Pro DHY 3

Haywood MB irons 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

12 hours ago, adamwittman said:

Interesting topic. How long do you take to get accustomed to a new driver, woods, irons etc on the course for score. and how long do you give it before you yank them?

First of all, I never put a new club into my main bag until I'm sure it's a decent fit and will work - so I never have to yank it back out.   I can usually tell is something is ready or "right" for the main bag after one range session (usually doesn't take that many swings to tell).   If something doesn't work out, I may make some changes (usually face angle, head weight, shaft selection, etc..) and give it another chance at another range session.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 2

It's not going to the course until I'm accustomed to it.   When i switch clubs,  I usually work with my fitter to get my new clubs adjusted so they match my previous set as close as possible.I don't want guessing games when I'm out there. 

Taylormade Stealth+ 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade Stealth+ 3w Hzrdus Black

Callaway UW 19* Hzrdus Black

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

13 hours ago, adamwittman said:

Interesting topic. How long do you take to get accustomed to a new driver, woods, irons etc on the course for score. and how long do you give it before you yank them? If youre a club ho please say so. Im looking for honest answers from people who try to make this the set for years. 

Driver ho, but that's mostly because I like trying the new shiny.

It usually take me a few rounds in different conditions to get fully accustomed to how any new club plays. Different winds, lies, etc.

For irons / wedges I'll generally already have the gapping done so it's mostly about how it reacts out of the rough and from different lies. I'll usually stick with a set of irons for a few years but I actually switched from Z785s to the Staff CBs I'm playing now because I wasn't happy with how they played out of the rough. But even that took about a year for me to finally pull the trigger.

Mizuno ST-G 220 / STZ-220 : Ventus Blue 6S @ 45.5" or KBS TD Cat 3 @ 45.5"

Cobra Radpeed 3W : GD Tour AD TP8-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue 8HB-S

Srixon ZXU #2 : Nippon Modus 3 120-S

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54: Nippon Modus3 120/125 S 

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125 Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

As somebody who's unwrapped the plastic off the club on the first tee many a time, I'm the wrong person to ask. 🙂

• Haha 4

PING G400 Max 9*
Cleveland 18* Hy-Wood
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 48*

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 60*

PING Sigma 2 Tyne

7 minutes ago, mantan said:

As somebody who's unwrapped the plastic off the club on the first tee many a time, I'm the wrong person to ask. 🙂

If the OP is similar - you might be the perfect person to ask. 

Sometime the "fun" way and the "safe" way aren't always the same thing.    Everyone has to figure out what their own "best" way is going to be.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, denkea said:

The feel should be good for you immediately.  Determining distance changes may take a bit.  

Exactly! If the swing weight and balance are ok I'll give it a few swings. Otherwise, not interested in fighting it, at all.

The club should fit your swing and feels, not the other way around, if you know your game.

BITD (before fitting was readily available to non-pros) we were stuck with what came out of the box sans cutting the shaft, bending L & L a few degrees, and adding weight with lead tape. We were forced to "make the club work for you". Nowadays, we simply don't have to go that route.

Edited by nitram
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9*                        MCA Diamana X17 60X

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 3WD                         MCA Diamana X17 70X

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 5WD                         MCA Diamana ZF  80TX  or

Bridgestone J33 AirMuscle 19*                 Velyx Rome Wildeye 988X
MIURA TC-201   4-6                                  MCA MMT-105TX

MIURA MB-101   7-P                                  MCA MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Prototype  50, 55, 60                MCA MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Guerin Rife Circle R 400 Mid-Mallet Tour Issue

51 minutes ago, denkea said:

The feel should be good for you immediately.  Determining distance changes may take a bit.  

I'm on board with this.  Got my new ZX7s out of the plastic and hit the range on the way home that day.  They felt and worked just as good off grass as the mat and I knew that in 5 shots.  I hit them all to see how the distances were.  My PW and GW were shorter than my old set and I didn't really get a good idea by how much but they went in the bag permanently right then and played a round the next day.

When you know you know. 

some warm up swings in the practice range and then Hit the course. 

9 holes I know. If you need more than that, they are not the right fit for your swing.

I never decide on a set of clubs from a launch monitor, but I have full access to a GC Quad. 

I dont care what I shoot in those 9 homes b/c obviously distance and such will need dialed in. I am more concerned about flight path. Launch window. Spin characteristics - is the ball bouncing forward on the green, spinning back. Feel of the club. 

Most importantly - what is my miss. 

Don’t try to force it. If you have to adjust your swing for the clubs, it isn’t a match. 

Edited by T_Golf_23
  • Like 3

I've pulled clubs/shafts outta the bag in under a month and have clubs in my bag that have been with me for over 10 years.  I always have to have a launch monitor in order to verify numbers.  Feel is also important too. 

TM Stealth Plus+ 9* w/Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60TX

TM SIM ti 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16*  w/Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

When I think of the clubs I've had in the bag the longest over the years, I knew immediately it was a good fit. First range session or first round.  I've never 'learned to love' a club that didn't start out great.

It's not like a Hallmark movie where things got off to a rocky start. Then I kinda learned I like their little quirks. And before I knew it, I was proposing to that out-of-town big city city reporter who was visiting her old small town on assignment and never thought she'd end up with simple guy trying to save his grandpa's farm....but love happened.

• Like 2

PING G400 Max 9*
Cleveland 18* Hy-Wood
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 48*

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 60*

PING Sigma 2 Tyne

This will sound crazy but i usually know after a few swings but i give it at least 3 or 4 rounds for the benefit. Putter i know right away. Wedges also right away. 

Mostly all clubs i know very fast what im looking for in looks feel and performance. When you find the perfect clubs you get along with and then try something new... if its not a similar or better feel and result you just know.. no need to try and adjust to a club that dont work for you when their are clubs that fit and work right off the bat.

I normally adapt to woods fairly quickly, within a game or two. Same with putters.

Wedges and irons normally take me 6-7 rounds to be comfortable with distances although I took to my current g410s immediately.

Taylormade Sim Max Evenflow Blue
Titleist tsi2 16.5 Tensei blue
Titleist ts3 hybrid 21 with hzrdus smoke
Ping G410 4-UW
Vokey SM8 56°/14° and SM7 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron t22 Newport
Titleist Pro V1/Pro v1x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

23 hours ago, wfwp said:

It takes me a few range and or launch monitor sessions before my first round of golf with new clubs. The range/launch monitor sessions are used to identify yardages, trajectories, and shot shapes. I usually spend 3-months to decide if the new clubs will replace old clubs. I use the Shot Scope V3 watch now so I can get shot data to confirm golf course performance.

Unless you are a complete club ho, which granted would be like most of wrx posting  here, why would you be buying clubs if you’re not sure they’re better than the old? You spend, depending on location, 25% o 50% of a season using clubs that might not be as good as what they replaced?

Callaway Epic Speed 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6S

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23* Tensei Blue

New Level PF-2 5-PW DG105 S300

PXG 0311 50* DG Elevate Tour/Callaway Jaws MD5 56* & 60* DGS200

Cameron Newport w/flow neck by LaMont or…Cameron Phantom X 11.5..or Betti Inovai 6.0 spud