Travelling with clubs overseas amidst airport chaos

Good Morning All!

I am just about to finalize a trip to Scotland after labour day for 2 months and I have few question to bounce off the community!

As you are all aware of the crazy staff shortages of airport staff (Montreal, but I'm sure this is North American wide??)  especially the baggage staff. I am having stress in how to get my clubs and luggage to my destination without being lost. Any help or recent experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

1. Ship my clubs by fed ex (or any other service) directly to my destination. With or without heads?

2. If I decided to take a chance on putting them on the plane - do I take the heads off and put them in my checked luggage?

2a. This is also worrisome because stories of luggage being lost is also rampant

3. Put the club heads onto my carry on (I've read that it is a 50-50 with security allowing this). This way if my luggage is lost at least I'll have all my clubs.

4. Other options or opinions???

Thank you all in advance 🙂

10.5* Ping G430 Max, MCA Diamana BF 60g 

18* 5W Stealth 2+ Ti, MCA Kail'li red 70g

21* 7W Ping G430 Max, Oban Revenge 85g
22* & 26* HY Ping G430, MCA 80g Kai'li white

6-GW Mizuno JPX 923 HM, PX LZ 
54*S & 58*T Ping Glide 4.0, DG 120 
L.A.B. DF3, Accra X, Press Pistol 2 OR Ping Anser 2 Milled OR Mizuno M-Craft VI (Lamkin Deep Etch) 

Pro V1 or Z Star. GP TV 360 std. Titleist Players glove

Ping Hoofer Lite OR Ping Pioneer with Clicgear 3.5+

My clubs didn’t make it to Edinburgh with me three weeks ago. The guy in the group behind me also was without clubs upon arrival. It has been brutal through Newark per the Edinburgh airport. 

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

34 minutes ago, Stetson said:

My clubs didn’t make it to Edinburgh with me three weeks ago. The guy in the group behind me also was without clubs upon arrival. It has been brutal through Newark per the Edinburgh airport. 

sorry to hear 😞

L.A.B. DF3, Accra X, Press Pistol 2 OR Ping Anser 2 Milled OR Mizuno M-Craft VI (Lamkin Deep Etch) 

We were just discussing this recently in the "The 150th Open at St Andrews" thread.  I was part of a group trip to Scotland a few weeks ago.  Of the 36 golfers, one person's clubs (and suitcase) were lost completely and at least 3 others went back to EDI the morning after arrival to retrieve their delayed clubs - they chose to pick them up themselves rather than chance the delivery being too late for our 1st round.  I'm not sure about the case of the lost luggage, but I believe all the delayed clubs were on flights that connected through LHR.

No one reported any damage.  Personally, I use the "Stiff Arm" in my Club Glove bag and while I don't bother removing club heads, I do put covers on my irons (only time I use those covers) and then use my golf towels to wrap around and between everything.

As for shipping, a few people did do that for the return trip, though I did not.  I guess my advice would be to follow the shipper's rules on prohibited items.  Two people had their golf bags returned to the hotel because they left aerosol sunscreen in their golf bags.  At least one of them was using ShipSticks.

• Like 1

Paradym Ai Smoke TD 10.5* (@ 9.5*) / Ventus Blue TR 6S

TM SIM2 Max 3HL 16.5* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

Paradym 5W 18* / GD Tour AD HD 7X

Ping G425 5H 26* / Ventus Velocore Blue HB 8S

Callaway '21 Apex Pro 5-PW / Fujikura Axiom 125X

Callaway JAWS 52*/56*/60* / KBS $-Taper 130 "8i Spinner"

Argolf Pendragon XL (Broomstick)

Snell MTB Black

1 hour ago, Quebec Club Ho said:

Good Morning All!

I am just about to finalize a trip to Scotland after labour day for 2 months and I have few question to bounce off the community!

As you are all aware of the crazy staff shortages of airport staff (Montreal, but I'm sure this is North American wide??)  especially the baggage staff. I am having stress in how to get my clubs and luggage to my destination without being lost. Any help or recent experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

1. Ship my clubs by fed ex (or any other service) directly to my destination. With or without heads?

2. If I decided to take a chance on putting them on the plane - do I take the heads off and put them in my checked luggage?

2a. This is also worrisome because stories of luggage being lost is also rampant

3. Put the club heads onto my carry on (I've read that it is a 50-50 with security allowing this). This way if my luggage is lost at least I'll have all my clubs.

4. Other options or opinions???

Thank you all in advance 🙂

The big thing is if you can get a direct flight to Scotland from either Canada or the US. The issue is connecting through London. Almost all of the issues with lost/late arriving bags are from layovers in London. DO NOT FLY VIA LONDON EVEN IF IT IS CHEAPER. I’ve flown to Ireland and Scotland many times, always via a direct flight from either Chicago, or JFK and never had an issue with my bags or clubs. If you can’t find a direct flight from Canada or the US I would use FedEx or Shipsticks to ship them. Don’t take the heads off, because at best you would maybe get them through security then have to have to hope the shafts arrived, then have to install them.  

P.S. I just checked and there are direct flights from Toronto to Edinburg. That will be your best and safest option.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 6/30/2022 at 12:48 PM, hammergolf said:

The big thing is if you can get a direct flight to Scotland from either Canada or the US. The issue is connecting through London. Almost all of the issues with lost/late arriving bags are from layovers in London. DO NOT FLY VIA LONDON EVEN IF IT IS CHEAPER. I’ve flown to Ireland and Scotland many times, always via a direct flight from either Chicago, or JFK and never had an issue with my bags or clubs. If you can’t find a direct flight from Canada or the US I would use FedEx or Shipsticks to ship them. Don’t take the heads off, because at best you would maybe get them through security then have to have to hope the shafts arrived, then have to install them.  

P.S. I just checked and there are direct flights from Toronto to Edinburg. That will be your best and safest option.

Can confirm. Heathrow is just a complete shambles right now. BA employees and ground crews are about to go on strike too so it's going to get worse. 

On the way to Scotland they lost my dad's bag. He was chatting with some other guys at the Edinburgh airport about it and of their group of 8, 5 people's bags didn't make the connection through Heathrow. 

The day I arrived there were piles and piles of golf bags that had come in on later flights and one guy processing them/in charge of arranging deliveries. 

Our local hotel said it's been like this for a while but getting steadily worse. 

On the way home my bag didn't make it; still waiting and hoping they show up soon...

• Sad 2

Thank you for sharing and confirming that I have to prepare differently.

I'm going to seriously look into ship sticks or Fed ex and have them ship my golf bag (heads off but in the bag and as much stuff I can put in there - rain suit, shoes, balls) and have them ship to my Air B/B / BB/ or the course (looking at international membership)

As for the checked baggage (I'm there for 6 weeks so just a carry-on may not be enough room) I guess I'll have to hope for the best. I can always buy clothing there, as long as I have my clubs life is good!

7 minutes ago, Quebec Club Ho said:

I'm going to seriously look into ship sticks or Fed ex and have them ship my golf bag (heads off but in the bag and as much stuff I can put in there - rain suit, shoes, balls) and have them ship to my Air B/B / BB/ or the course (looking at international membership)

As for the checked baggage (I'm there for 6 weeks so just a carry-on may not be enough room) I guess I'll have to hope for the best. I can always buy clothing there, as long as I have my clubs life is good!

You can ship regular luggage as well as your golf bag.I looked at Shipsticks with a quote of $479. But I’m going to just check mine with Aer Lingus since my flight is direct from Chicago to Dublin. That will only cost $120.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Quebec Club Ho said:

Just don’t connect via Heathrow. 

21 hours ago, ND2005 said:

Can confirm. Heathrow is just a complete shambles right now. BA employees and ground crews are about to go on strike too so it's going to get worse. 

On the way to Scotland they lost my dad's bag. He was chatting with some other guys at the Edinburgh airport about it and of their group of 8, 5 people's bags didn't make the connection through Heathrow. 

The day I arrived there were piles and piles of golf bags that had come in on later flights and one guy processing them/in charge of arranging deliveries. 

Our local hotel said it's been like this for a while but getting steadily worse. 

On the way home my bag didn't make it; still waiting and hoping they show up soon...

I am in this same boat as we leave at the end of next month and connect through LHR.  The bad thing is our connecting flight is less than 2 hours after we arrive so really doubting our stuff makes it no matter what seat class you book.  I am planning on using ship sticks and putting maybe half of my clothes on there as well in case my bag shows up late i still have stuff to wear.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjblake09 said:

I am in this same boat as we leave at the end of next month and connect through LHR.  The bad thing is our connecting flight is less than 2 hours after we arrive so really doubting our stuff makes it no matter what seat class you book.  I am planning on using ship sticks and putting maybe half of my clothes on there as well in case my bag shows up late i still have stuff to wear.  

Agreed I wish I had used Ship Sticks, I balked at the cost but in hindsight clearly would have been worth it. 

FWIW we were in business class and our bags had the priority stickers on them, I don't think they pay any attention to that at all - bags came out at random and plenty of others in business who were stuck like us. 

Been home for 4 days and still don't have my bag; it was supposed to arrive last night but spent another hour on the phone with BA today and lo and behold it is still in London. "should come today or tomorrow" was the best they could tell me. 

17 minutes ago, ND2005 said:

Agreed I wish I had used Ship Sticks, I balked at the cost but in hindsight clearly would have been worth it. 

FWIW we were in business class and our bags had the priority stickers on them, I don't think they pay any attention to that at all - bags came out at random and plenty of others in business who were stuck like us. 

Been home for 4 days and still don't have my bag; it was supposed to arrive last night but spent another hour on the phone with BA today and lo and behold it is still in London. "should come today or tomorrow" was the best they could tell me. 

Where did you guys leave from Stateside? 

1 minute ago, ND2005 said:

Houston -> Heathrow -> Edinburgh 

I really wish we had just booked United but the company we used for the trip has a relationship with BA and it was a significantly better price so we went with that. 

lesson learned. 

Yeah, I try to make sure I’m If getting a direct from a US airport to Ireland or Scotland. Although I’ve heard that Newark has been bad getting bags on flights lately. If you don’t mind, can I ask who you used and what the itinerary and cost was?

Just now, hammergolf said:

Yeah, I try to make sure I’m If getting a direct from a US airport to Ireland or Scotland. Although I’ve heard that Newark has been bad getting bags on flights lately. If you don’t mind, can I ask who you used and what the itinerary and cost was?

we used Perry golf 

3 nights Marine North Berwick

-Muirfield

-North Berwick West Links

3 nights Ness Walk (Inverness)

-Castle Stuart

-Royal Dornoch

3 nights Marine Troon

-Turnberry

-Prestwick

-Royal Troon

i actually don’t know the full cost bc it was a gift from my parents. But we had a full time driver so I am sure it was a ton. 

I picked most of the golf courses. I struggled with wanting to play more courses/doing some 36 hole days, but my dads getting into his 70s so decided to cap it at 7 rounds.

I picked up the caddie fees, driver gratuity, and as many dinners as I could convince my dad to let me 😭

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ND2005 said:

we used Perry golf 

3 nights Marine North Berwick

-Muirfield

-North Berwick West Links

3 nights Ness Walk (Inverness)

-Castle Stuart

-Royal Dornoch

3 nights Marine Troon

-Turnberry

-Prestwick

-Royal Troon

i actually don’t know the full cost bc it was a gift from my parents. But we had a full time driver so I am sure it was a ton. 

I picked most of the golf courses. I struggled with wanting to play more courses/doing some 36 hole days, but my dads getting into his 70s so decided to cap it at 7 rounds.

I picked up the caddie fees, driver gratuity, and as many dinners as I could convince my dad to let me 😭

What was your favorite course you played?

53 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

What was your favorite course you played?

Dornoch and Muirfield are pretty much a tie 

Castle Stuart was gorgeous but felt like an “American” course dropped onto the Scottish waterside

Troon was a little blander than I expected. 

Prestwick and North Berwick were both tons of fun and loved the history. 

Turnberry was a disaster of an experience and I barely remember the course. 

18 minutes ago, ND2005 said:

Dornoch and Muirfield are pretty much a tie 

Castle Stuart was gorgeous but felt like an “American” course dropped onto the Scottish waterside

Troon was a little blander than I expected. 

Prestwick and North Berwick were both tons of fun and loved the history. 

Turnberry was a disaster of an experience and I barely remember the course. 

Wow, what happened at Turnberry? I’ve been wanting to get back there to see the changes that were made since I played it last. 

11 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Wow, what happened at Turnberry? I’ve been wanting to get back there to see the changes that were made since I played it last. 

I posted about it on another thread but basically my caddie showed up late and drunk. 

Fired him on the fourth hole. 

my dad’s caddie wasn’t much better, spent most of the round bragging about how he was a +2 and was generally obnoxious. It was our worst weather round of the trip and he more or less encouraged us to quit at 9 rather than keep going since he clearly didn’t want to be there. 

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, smoky25 said:

Heading to Scotland in a week to play some golf and watch the Saturday round of the Open.  ATL-Boston-Edinburgh round trip.  Was going to do ShipSticks but would have had to ship them July 1st to guarantee their arrival.  So I'll lug them through and keep my fingers crossed.  At least I'm avoiding Heathrow.

As long as they make it to Boston fine you should be good. However, wouldn’t hurt when you arrive in Boston to verify with someone at the counter your clubs arrived and will make it onto the EDI flight. Another good idea I read was putting Apple air tags in your bags so you can track them yourself.

Another option if you have enough time with your connection is when you check in for your flight from ATL- Boston ask them to only check your clubs through to Boston. Then pick them up at baggage claim in Boston and then check them in Boston to EDI.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

Some good ideas here.

I am leaving for Ireland in 20 days with plans to fly into Dublin direct from Chicago. My direct flight into Chicago has a 90 minute layover (same airline).

Will I be okay checking my clubs on my flight to Chicago (from PDX)? Is it too much to expect the clubs to make it on a direct from Chicago to Dublin?

If not, how far in advance should I give my clubs to Shipsticks?

FYI, I always use a Stiff Arm. My buddy who has an Autoflex does not and has had two shafts break when travelling.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

1 hour ago, njlam said:

Some good ideas here.

I am leaving for Ireland in 20 days with plans to fly into Dublin direct from Chicago. My direct flight into Chicago has a 90 minute layover (same airline).

Will I be okay checking my clubs on my flight to Chicago (from PDX)? Is it too much to expect the clubs to make it on a direct from Chicago to Dublin?

If not, how far in advance should I give my clubs to Shipsticks?

FYI, I always use a Stiff Arm. My buddy who has an Autoflex does not and has had two shafts break when travelling.

I assume you’re flying United or American from Chi-Dub? With 90 min layover should be plenty of time to get your bags transferred. Since it’s the same airline you should be fine. Definitely take all the heads off your clubs that can be removed and put them in the headcover. Have a GREAT trip, I’m heading over in October..

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 5:43 PM, ND2005 said:

Well crap on the preferred seating!  Nice list of courses played btw.  We are playing some of the same but starting in EDI and working our way north to INV.

Headed to Scotland from DFW in 3 weeks.  I'm going to go ahead and use Shipsticks.  Don't want to risk it, as I'm transferring in LHR.  American Airlines cancelled/re-routed all of their Scotland routes through LHR a few months ago.  Prior to that, you could transfer in PHL and fly straight into EDI.

• Like 1