2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Travelling with clubs overseas amidst airport chaos

Just put Air Tags on my golf bag, my golf case, my luggage and my knapsack....will know in real time how screwed I am....

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

4 minutes ago, njlam said:

Just put Air Tags on my golf bag, my golf case, my luggage and my knapsack....will know in real time how screwed I am....

Hope all goes well. 🤞

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Suggestion. If your gear does turn up delayed, ask the people where you are staying as they often can supply you the gear you need. They can also help you push tee times, etc.

August, 2014. Flight leaving Philly was delayed resulting in a connector thru Heathrow. All 8 bags delayed and we had to use rentals on our first round at Turnberry.

Zero issues with clubs on my flight from CVG to Kauai (July, 2022).

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

On 6/30/2022 at 11:57 AM, Quebec Club Ho said:

Good Morning All!

I am just about to finalize a trip to Scotland after labour day for 2 months and I have few question to bounce off the community!

As you are all aware of the crazy staff shortages of airport staff (Montreal, but I'm sure this is North American wide??)  especially the baggage staff. I am having stress in how to get my clubs and luggage to my destination without being lost. Any help or recent experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

1. Ship my clubs by fed ex (or any other service) directly to my destination. With or without heads?

2. If I decided to take a chance on putting them on the plane - do I take the heads off and put them in my checked luggage?

2a. This is also worrisome because stories of luggage being lost is also rampant

3. Put the club heads onto my carry on (I've read that it is a 50-50 with security allowing this). This way if my luggage is lost at least I'll have all my clubs.

4. Other options or opinions???

Thank you all in advance 🙂

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgKQjsrqKCB/

I'm just praying that the mess is cleared by the time I need to fly back (Aug 20), because I fly out of EDI through LHR....

Checking into using ShipSticks for the return, but having a hard time finding a DHL pickup place in East Lothian.  I'm in an AirBnB for lodging, and the property owner doesn't live there, so no way to have them picked up from the lodging. 

Wondering right now if I contact an actual hotel nearby and ask if they can serve as the pickup point....

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I think shipsticks also works with the golf pro shops….I know Bandon works this way.

• Like 1

Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400

10 hours ago, spud3 said:

I'm just praying that the mess is cleared by the time I need to fly back (Aug 20), because I fly out of EDI through LHR....

Checking into using ShipSticks for the return, but having a hard time finding a DHL pickup place in East Lothian.  I'm in an AirBnB for lodging, and the property owner doesn't live there, so no way to have them picked up from the lodging. 

Wondering right now if I contact an actual hotel nearby and ask if they can serve as the pickup point....

Any of the popular courses or hotels should be able to help you with that.

My friend arrived in Dublin via Heathrow on Saturday, he still doesn’t have his clubs…no hope in sight…

9 hours ago, spud3 said:

Any updates on the situation?

Have things improved, or at least has the logjam been cleared from LHR and EDI?

Being there a few weeks ago, no way they are clearing up the hundreds of golf bags and thousands of pieces of luggage I saw in a week or two. They will be digging out for months and with no additional labor it can't possibly improve. Sadly, I'd say it is less than 20% of travelling with clubs now and them making it through Heathrow or Edinburgh. Prepare to rent and call courses quick if you find out yours aren't going to make it. Most courses we played were down to their last few rental sets based on the issues. 

I'm using ShipSticks for the clubs trip to St Andrews.  Was going back and forth about trying to bring them back with me, but my return flight starts in EDI and connects in LHR before the big leap to SFO.  Thinking I'll just use ShipSticks for the return as well.  I'd rather have the certain 5-7 day wait knowing they will make it home.

Traveling internationally, it's a crap shoot whether your clubs show up or disappear and later sold.  Greater chance of loss with multiple layovers and flight changes.  It is different for pros as most of them travel on private charter.  Two guys playing the Senior Open did so with strange clubs as their clubs never showed up.  Make sure you have a backup set at home.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I just got back from the UK, and had no issues. The biggest problem was simply waiting for luggage in US airports. I would definitely say if you're not using shipsticks to get air tags for your luggage. I flew back into Pittsburgh and they had thought they had left my clubs in Atlanta, but once I showed them it was there, they had someone go get it. Well worth the peace of mind knowing where your stuff is and if they are indeed left somewhere, you can accelerate the process of tracking them down and getting them to you. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OhioLUFC said:

I just got back from the UK, and had no issues. The biggest problem was simply waiting for luggage in US airports. I would definitely say if you're not using shipsticks to get air tags for your luggage. I flew back into Pittsburgh and they had thought they had left my clubs in Atlanta, but once I showed them it was there, they had someone go get it. Well worth the peace of mind knowing where your stuff is and if they are indeed left somewhere, you can accelerate the process of tracking them down and getting them to you. 

Did you check (golf) bags through Heathrow?

Just returned from Ireland where two of my 8 playing partners had their clubs lost by the airlines (1 via Manchester, the other via Heathrow)and didn't have their clubs for the duration of the trip.

Both guys are back in the state and still don't have their clubs. They had to rent clubs at each of our 7 destinations and it was expensive with limited choices. Very disappointing for a very expensive, once in a lifetime trip.

Business idea: There should be well stocked golf club rental stores at the major airports in Dublin, Heathrow, Edinburgh, etc. The major equipment manufacturers could be well represented and the best part is, the cost of the rental could be borne by the airlines/airports.

If the clubs offered were good enough, I might leave my sticks at home if I could reserve a set with my specs in advance....

Someone should run with this....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njlam said:

Just returned from Ireland where two of my 8 playing partners had their clubs lost by the airlines (1 via Manchester, the other via Heathrow)and didn't have their clubs for the duration of the trip.

Both guys are back in the state and still don't have their clubs. They had to rent clubs at each of our 7 destinations and it was expensive with limited choices. Very disappointing for a very expensive, once in a lifetime trip.

Business idea: There should be well stocked golf club rental stores at the major airports in Dublin, Heathrow, Edinburgh, etc. The major equipment manufacturers could be well represented and the best part is, the cost of the rental could be borne by the airlines/airports.

If the clubs offered were good enough, I might leave my sticks at home if I could reserve a set with my specs in advance....

I don’t know about the quality/variety of the clubs offered but this service exists already. My buddie just did it - clubs were waiting for him at the first course and they picked them up from his departure hotel. 

5 hours ago, ND2005 said:

I don’t know about the quality/variety of the clubs offered but this service exists already. My buddie just did it - clubs were waiting for him at the first course and they picked them up from his departure hotel. 

Pls let me know the name of the service if you have it.

11 hours ago, njlam said:

VERY good idea…

On 8/4/2022 at 10:20 PM, fundustrial said:

Well my golf clubs were picked up in New York on Tuesday and delivered to Edinburgh today - very quick turnaround. Expensive but I guess worth it! 

I guess when you think about what you would pay for checked bags each way, then rental clubs at each course if they didn’t arrive it’s probably a wash money wise.

The two guys from our Ireland trip (late July) are still without their clubs...

So glad I am using shipsticks both ways. Clubs already arrived and waiting for my Saturday arrival in St A. 
Had to switch my accommodations in N Berwick to a hotel that would allow a pickup, but reading these last couple comments confirms it is worth the trouble. 
Starting Saturday, it’s seven days of golf…

• Like 2

13 hours ago, njlam said:

The two guys from our Ireland trip (late July) are still without their clubs...

Crazy…. I’m sure the airlines have been super helpful and paying for his rental clubs for two weeks right??? 🤦‍♂️ I would be LIVID if that was me.

• 2 weeks later...

My trip is a go fellow WRXers!

@ sept 20 to @ oct 20.

Any updates on the carry on situation and any feedback from those who used Ship sticks (ship times)

I'll be leaving from Montreal - 99% transfer at Heathrow - and then on to Aberdeen. I believe that I will be picking up my baggage at Heathrow and then bringing it to my connecting flight. 

I'm leaving mid sept so I'm hoping the situation is better.

For my fellow Scots - if I go the way of ship sticks - would you rather have it shipped to the Airbnb (where I may be out and about and I don't know their policy of where to leave clubs when no one is home) or leave it at the golf club, if they accept delivery (I've requested to be an International member at Murcar golf links).

10.5* Ping G430 Max, MCA Diamana BF 60g 

18* 5W Stealth 2+ Ti, MCA Kail'li red 70g

21* 7W Ping G430 Max, Oban Revenge 85g
22* & 26* HY Ping G430, MCA 80g Kai'li white

6-GW Mizuno JPX 923 HM, PX LZ 
54*S & 58*T Ping Glide 4.0, DG 120 
L.A.B. DF3, Accra X, Press Pistol 2 OR Ping Anser 2 Milled OR Mizuno M-Craft VI (Lamkin Deep Etch) 

Pro V1 or Z Star. GP TV 360 std. Titleist Players glove

Ping Hoofer Lite OR Ping Pioneer with Clicgear 3.5+