2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Travelling with clubs overseas amidst airport chaos

Just got back last Saturday.

ShipSticks got my clubs to my B&B in St Andrews in 5 days.  They were picked up from my B&B in North Berwick on Monday, and the AirTag in my bag says they've been sitting in Cincinnati for two days, expected arrival here in PDX is Monday.

For the return flight, I went EDI-LHR-SFO-PDX, and checked my luggage.  No issues at all, suitcase was waiting for me at SFO.

I saw several guys with golf bags checking them at EDI.  I think they've improved the situation, but I was glad I was using ShipSticks for the return flight.  Customs was a breeze both ways.

Be sure to allow for lots of time between flights (2 hours seems about right) and for arrival at your departure airport, especially if you can't check-in electronically and have to stand in line.  I flew British Air on the way back, and their app/online check-in was shiite.

Trip was beyond amazing, BTW.  Trip report coming soon

Edited by spud3
  • Like 2

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2022 at 11:07 AM, Quebec Club Ho said:

My trip is a go fellow WRXers!

@ sept 20 to @ oct 20.

Any updates on the carry on situation and any feedback from those who used Ship sticks (ship times)

I'll be leaving from Montreal - 99% transfer at Heathrow - and then on to Aberdeen. I believe that I will be picking up my baggage at Heathrow and then bringing it to my connecting flight. 

I'm leaving mid sept so I'm hoping the situation is better.

For my fellow Scots - if I go the way of ship sticks - would you rather have it shipped to the Airbnb (where I may be out and about and I don't know their policy of where to leave clubs when no one is home) or leave it at the golf club, if they accept delivery (I've requested to be an International member at Murcar golf links).

Update...I will be sending my clubs with Ship sticks. My airbnb host is nice enough to receive my clubs - so zero worries! I will also be bringing a carry on - again zero worries.

Sorry I won't be able to give anyone updates on the 'baggage situation' but I can give you the timeline the ship sticks delivery and anything else you may want to know. 🙂

10.5* Ping G430 Max, MCA Diamana BF 60g 

18* 5W Stealth 2+ Ti, MCA Kail'li red 70g

21* 7W Ping G430 Max, Oban Revenge 85g
22* & 26* HY Ping G430, MCA 80g Kai'li white

6-GW Mizuno JPX 923 HM, PX LZ 
54*S & 58*T Ping Glide 4.0, DG 120 
L.A.B. DF3, Accra X, Press Pistol 2 OR Ping Anser 2 Milled OR Mizuno M-Craft VI (Lamkin Deep Etch) 

Pro V1 or Z Star. GP TV 360 std. Titleist Players glove

Ping Hoofer Lite OR Ping Pioneer with Clicgear 3.5+

On 9/5/2022 at 9:48 PM, Quebec Club Ho said:

Update...I will be sending my clubs with Ship sticks. My airbnb host is nice enough to receive my clubs - so zero worries! I will also be bringing a carry on - again zero worries.

Sorry I won't be able to give anyone updates on the 'baggage situation' but I can give you the timeline the ship sticks delivery and anything else you may want to know. 🙂

Update...Ship sticks picked up my clubs on Sept 9th. They quoted pick up on the 9th in order for a 19th arrival. I arrive on the 21st so I didn't want to take any chances. Clubs arrived today. So only 4 days to ship. Perhaps cjblake09 was correct, however I wasn't going to take any chances. 

L.A.B. DF3, Accra X, Press Pistol 2 OR Ping Anser 2 Milled OR Mizuno M-Craft VI (Lamkin Deep Etch) 

Just returned from a USA to Troon area, then turnberry, then ferry to belfast and finally left out of dublin.  

My buddy and I went thru LHR on way to GLA.  Awful is an understatement. 

I shipsticks my golf clubs thankfully or I wouldnt have had anything.  

My buddy got his clothes but not his clubs.  I didn't get any bags delivered to me, ever, over 9 days.  My buddy got his clubs on day 4.  Every single person on my flight lost as least one bag.  Well over 50% of the bags put in our plane was not one of ours.  It is just a compounding problem.  

The rest of the guys went thru another hub and all were fine (8 of us).  

My advice, never going thru LHR again.  Caddies all said this is a yearly problem, worsened the last 2-3 years.  They all say stay away from anything that connects thru LHR.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, DustinJP said:

Anyone have a recent experience with DUB? 

Lots of unfortunate events connecting through LHR, but having not heard/read anything about DUB I am cautiously optimistic about checking my clubs (with AirTags) since my only connection is stateside through BOS.

Thanks!

I’m heading over there in a couple weeks. I posted a thread a few weeks about but haven’t heard anything bad. I went last year during the Covid times and had no issues at all. I’m hoping for the same this time. Heathrow has always been a fiasco with connecting flights but it’s worse than ever now. I don’t think Dublin has the same issues though.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Just got back from a trip to Shannon (we connected through LHR).  Four sets of clubs: 

-3 of us shipped through shipsticks (all bags dropped off at the same time)

-1 checked golf bag through airline

One of the shipsticks bags and the one checked bag made it on time.  The other two shipsticks bags arrived 7 days late due to 'delays in customs'.  Those guys had to rent clubs everyday.

Every clubhouse we visited told us many golfers have had similar issues as of late with Shipsticks.

Wonder if there were things in the delayed bags that were not supposed to be in there?  SS goes to great lengths to describe what should not be in the shipped bag.

Having said that, the form-letter list of things that SS has you print out and include with the documentation for Customs was not very accurate for what was in my bag.  I expected to have to include a detailed list of the contents, and even asked the SS rep about it, and was told to just include the printouts they provide, nothing more or less.

I wonder if the Customs folks actually check to see what's in the bag, or maybe do random checks of some bags against what is listed in the documentation.

Did SS cover the rental costs?

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

• 1 month later...

Final update from me.

My clubs were picked up on October 19 and returned home Oct 25 (one day ahead of schedule). The bag was barely 'searched' if at all. The way it was packed was exactly how it was when I opened it. There was zero delays - I didn't try to 'smuggle' anything in my bag - perhaps as discussed earlier by someone that the reason for their delay was that they put stuff that was not supposed to be there? I would 100% do this again for my trip next summer. It cost a mini fortune but the peace of mind is worth it - for me.

Sorry if this part doesn't belong in this section but I thought it may go with my travels:

So I was an International member at Murcar for the month and it was better than I could have imagined. The members and staff were so welcoming, friendly and accepting. Every member I meet and played with was awesome company. The members had zero pretentiousness, or attitude. Friendly and open can best describe them. This view my be a little skewed but it is my opinion. I played the big two courses in the area - Cruden Bay and Royal Aberdeen and I would take Murcar over both of them. Royal Aberdeen shares the same piece of land so the layout, scenery, and contours are exactly the same. RA is more spacious so there is a tad less danger on all your shots. Murcar is much tighter and more danger on almost every shot. Finally, the vibe of RA is one. of 'thank you for visiting, now be on your way. To enter the clubhouse and use the toilets on the course you need a code (that comes with paying for your green fee). But, it is their club so they can do as they please. Cruden bay is a very beautiful course but I find it is overrated. Upon arrival the scene is beautiful from the clubhouse. Near the turn where you climb up the hill and get a view of the sea is again very beautiful. But aside from a couple of holes, the rest of the holes are only OK. I found the course to be very spacious but not as difficult as RA or Murcar. Just look at the slope ( I play to an 11 so I don't look at the course rating) and those numbers don't lie.

If Murcar advertised like Cruden or was anointed  a 'Royal' like our neighbour, it would't be the 'hidden' gem but rather a must play.

My opinion only, please don't come at me.

Hammergolf - I'd love to have you over next summer! 

Just for the record, I have flown to the UK 4 times with my sticks (on direct flights) and had no issues. I fly domestic 2-3 weeks out each month except Nov & Dec and have been doing so for over 15 yrs. I go through a travel bag each year. So I have some experience with flying my clubs. Here are some tips that will save the day:

1. Get to the airport early! TSA has to remove everything from your bag for security check. You want your bag checked no less than 2 hrs before scheduled departure.

2. Get direct flights if possible. If you HAVE to connect, make sure there you have 2 hrs minimum for the connection.

3. Get a Bag Boy Backbone. It is the most bad *ss club protector there is. I went through 3 of the Club Glove stiff arms before I got mine. It has lasted longer than all of them.

4. If you want to lock your club cover, get a TSA lock. They are recognized worldwide.

5. Pack your range finder, golf watch and any other small valuable accessory you have in your carryon. They disappear easily!

6. Remove the driver head. I play my driver at 46" and it barely fits in my travel case. Removing the head makes it 3w length and I haven't had any issues.

7. Don't skimp on the travel case. I use a soft case because they are easier to deal with when renting a car, but a hard case gives better protection. I line my soft case with 2" foam from a twin bed pad. I make slits in one side with a knife so it will curve to fit the case better. It gives great protection for short money.

BT

• Like 2

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

45 minutes ago, Ri_Redneck said:

Just for the record, I have flown to the UK 4 times with my sticks (on direct flights) and had no issues. I fly domestic 2-3 weeks out each month except Nov & Dec and have been doing so for over 15 yrs. I go through a travel bag each year. So I have some experience with flying my clubs. Here are some tips that will save the day:

1. Get to the airport early! TSA has to remove everything from your bag for security check. You want your bag checked no less than 2 hrs before scheduled departure.

2. Get direct flights if possible. If you HAVE to connect, make sure there you have 2 hrs minimum for the connection.

3. Get a Bag Boy Backbone. It is the most bad *ss club protector there is. I went through 3 of the Club Glove stiff arms before I got mine. It has lasted longer than all of them.

4. If you want to lock your club cover, get a TSA lock. They are recognized worldwide.

5. Pack your range finder, golf watch and any other small valuable accessory you have in your carryon. They disappear easily!

6. Remove the driver head. I play my driver at 46" and it barely fits in my travel case. Removing the head makes it 3w length and I haven't had any issues.

7. Don't skimp on the travel case. I use a soft case because they are easier to deal with when renting a car, but a hard case gives better protection. I line my soft case with 2" foam from a twin bed pad. I make slits in one side with a knife so it will curve to fit the case better. It gives great protection for short money.

BT

That is great info.

As for point 1. If they remove everything, you are at the mercy of the staff member to put it all back the same way you pack it. Could be he/she just shoves it back without care and renders your packing and backbone useless? I wrap driver, FW and hybrid shafts and tie them together, and wrap the irons and putter together. And then wrap all the clubs together. Also wrap the body of the bag in bubble wrap - odds the TSA person puts it back the same way?

Just got back from Ireland. Flew direct from Chicago to Dublin on Aer Lingus and had no issues with my bags. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

11 hours ago, Quebec Club Ho said:

That is great info.

As for point 1. If they remove everything, you are at the mercy of the staff member to put it all back the same way you pack it. Could be he/she just shoves it back without care and renders your packing and backbone useless? I wrap driver, FW and hybrid shafts and tie them together, and wrap the irons and putter together. And then wrap all the clubs together. Also wrap the body of the bag in bubble wrap - odds the TSA person puts it back the same way?

The Backbone only comes out and then back in. I've never had them collapse it (not sure they even know how). The length stays the same, so it doesn't matter which slot they put it in. It protects no matter what because it's always longer then the longest club/shaft. And, yes, I have to resort my clubs almost every time I travel, which is a slight pain. The bag is always placed back inside the foam, the strap secured and the case zipped and locked as it was when they got it. There isn't really any other way to get it in here.

IMHO, wrapping the shafts (depending on what's used and how it's done) COULD make them difficult to put back in. I know with TSA, the easier they are to take out and put back, the better they do it! I would avoid bubble wrap cause it's a PITA to get back on after removal (if taped). I opted for the foam outer layer because it covers the inside of the travel cover (protecting everything) and opens up easily to remove the bag. It's also easy to put the bag back in and wraps the bag up when the travel cover is zipped back up.

BT

• Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize