Raising arms in the backswing

Hoping for some recommendations here. I have been having an issue with raising arms/high hands in the backswing followed by a pull down move which leads to sliding. 

I know this is my issue, but I haven’t been able to eliminate it to this point. Can anyone help recommend drills or training aids to specifically address this fault? 

much appreciated. 

Edited by ScottHutch2

Driver: Titleist TSi3 - Ventus Black 6x

3 Wood:  Titleist TSi3 - Speeder Evo VII 757x

7 Wood: Titleist TSi2 - Speeder Evo VII 757x

4i: Srixon Zu85 - Modus 130s

Irons: Taylormade P770 5-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, MG3 54.13-58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Ten tour lined  

There’s a “why” and taking advice that doesn’t address the why will make your swing worse.

The answer could be as simple as swing needs to feel shorter…..but that would be bad advice if you’re lifting because no vertical hinge forces you to lift.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

3 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

There’s a “why” and taking advice that doesn’t address the why will make your swing worse.

The answer could be as simple as swing needs to feel shorter…..but that would be bad advice if you’re lifting because no vertical hinge forces you to lift.

So there could be different drills/fixes for the same fault based on why it’s happening, that makes sense. 

I will include some swing videos I took recently in the next post for context. 

Here are two videos of my swing. DTL and Face on. 

Caution: Only take advice from good instructors.

Disclaimer: I’m not an instructor.

I like your arm structure and hand path. What I do think might be bugging you is that you get into thoracic extension a bit early, so not fully loading the trail side and then getting upper center forward too soon. Makes it hard for your lead shoulder to go down and back and you’re closed at P6. 

So perhaps try feeling primary tilt into your transition. You won’t maintain it but the feeling will keep you from getting forward and extended before you really load up. From there you can get the left moving down and back and rotate open.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, johnrobison said:

What I do think might be bugging you is that you get into thoracic extension a bit early, so not fully loading the trail side and then getting upper center forward too soon.

Hello! Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it. 

Forgive my ignorance, but would you be able to give more insight into “thoracic extension”? Is that just extending the back in the backswing, so essentially standing up too early? And then by “upper center forward too soon” does that mean moving my upper body toward the target too early? 

apologies, I’m fairly new to golf having just picked it up in 2020 so I’m still learning the proper vernacular relating to swing mechanics 

Arms aren’t raising.

Your wrist hing is way too late and it’s throwing off your transition sequence…i.e. your right hip fires early.  

Trying to get the shaft and your left arm to a 90* angle around left arm parallel and your transition will improve 

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The right side stuff Monte mentioned was what stuck out to me:

ScottHutch2Back.gif.462a937166c8343415146bf98e76a665.gif

You're gaining good depth going back...

ScottHutch2Down.gif.ce4bae39aeb5b3782ddddacd5b10b584.gif

...but coming down your right side is really firing out towards the ball and crowding the space your hands are trying to go, forcing you to raise the handle. We can see the dot marking your hand position is being taken up completely by your right knee in the downswing. Your right side needs to be driving more towards your left down the target line and less out towards the ball. A lot of great stuff for only playing a couple years though!

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Kuro Kage 70XTS || Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR 7X 
Taylormade SIM V2 16.5* Kuro Kage Prototype 80TX || Taylormade M5 16.5* Diamana D+ LTD 80TX 
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Srixon ZX Utility 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB9.8 Tour Spec-X
Callaway X-Forged UT 22* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Arms aren’t raising.

Your wrist hing is way too late and it’s throwing off your transition sequence…i.e. your right hip fires early.  

Trying to get the shaft and your left arm to a 90* angle around left arm parallel and your transition will improve 

I can see it now that you point it out. Thanks a lot! I will work on that. 

1 hour ago, Valtiel said:

The right side stuff Monte mentioned was what stuck out to me:

ScottHutch2Back.gif.462a937166c8343415146bf98e76a665.gif

You're gaining good depth going back...

ScottHutch2Down.gif.ce4bae39aeb5b3782ddddacd5b10b584.gif

...but coming down your right side is really firing out towards the ball and crowding the space your hands are trying to go, forcing you to raise the handle. We can see the dot marking your hand position is being taken up completely by your right knee in the downswing. Your right side needs to be driving more towards your left down the target line and less out towards the ball. A lot of great stuff for only playing a couple years though!

Thanks a ton, I appreciate the feedback @Valtiel - that’s the sliding move I was referencing, I can definitely see that early right side firing and extending toward the ball. causes fat shots when my timing is off and I really feel like it’s holding me back from taking the next step. I will work on the backswing hinge as @MonteScheinblum mentions above and see what effects that has. Open to any and all other recommendations, but I definitely appreciate the detail you’ve both provided 

12 hours ago, ScottHutch2 said:

Hello! Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it. 

Forgive my ignorance, but would you be able to give more insight into “thoracic extension”? Is that just extending the back in the backswing, so essentially standing up too early? And then by “upper center forward too soon” does that mean moving my upper body toward the target too early? 

apologies, I’m fairly new to golf having just picked it up in 2020 so I’m still learning the proper vernacular relating to swing mechanics 

Exactly.

image.png.e777955ac297b48b36d2f14f66df125b.png

• Like 1

I’d be curious to see if the grip was not in the fingers enough

Stealth+ 10.5° Tensei 1K white tx 
SIM 2 Rocket 13.5º Tensei ck white tx 

3-AW P770 Project X LS 6.0

Vokey SM8 56.08°M grind Project X LS 6.0

Vokey SM8 60.08°M grind Project X LS 6.0

My Spider X

"I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmean

3 hours ago, johnrobison said:

Exactly.

image.png.e777955ac297b48b36d2f14f66df125b.png

This is helpful - thanks very much!

14 minutes ago, ScottHutch2 said:

This is helpful - thanks very much!

I would recommend you not entertain trying to do what that poster recommended.

You do a very good job of getting to your left/target side in the correct timeframe.  There are plenty of great videos out there showing pressure traces which validate your move.

Please don’t try to alter your move due to a still photo of a single player.  Wait for Monte or another world class instructor to comment on this before taking away a great element of your swing.

1 hour ago, SPIF said:

I would recommend you not entertain trying to do what that poster recommended.

You do a very good job of getting to your left/target side in the correct timeframe.  There are plenty of great videos out there showing pressure traces which validate your move.

Please don’t try to alter your move due to a still photo of a single player.  Wait for Monte or another world class instructor to comment on this before taking away a great element of your swing.

To be clear... I'm not suggesting that he isn't getting pressure into the lead side. I'm only commenting on the early and excessive thoracic extension. You can also see that P3-4 condition of Xander in many other good swings, not just from a single player. I agree that his pressures look good and I wouldn't propose to take that element away.

Posted (edited)

don’t  see any lateral shift at all.   OP just turns.    The lack Of a shift is a factor in his poor transition where his arms trail his hips - shift gives time for arms to move down before rotation takes over.  

lots of good examples.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDow8ZhD-pD/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_SXD4MFBJ7/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_WFsP2FW_q/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfYrN2olxYP/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdrXSq5FvQb/

need some shurn.   And get some lessons from a good instructor like monte.  Lots of  potential.

Edited by glk
  • Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

Laugh-a while you can, monkey boy.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

The plague of man is boasting of his knowledge - Montaigne.

On 6/30/2022 at 1:19 PM, ScottHutch2 said:

Hoping for some recommendations here. I have been having an issue with raising arms/high hands in the backswing followed by a pull down move which leads to sliding. 

I know this is my issue, but I haven’t been able to eliminate it to this point. Can anyone help recommend drills or training aids to specifically address this fault? 

much appreciated. 

sometimes raising the arms is fine.   I would post a vid here or better yet get a pros opinion.  

I recently got a biomechanical/swing-catalyst analysis where they measured the segments of my arms, legs etc and the pro explained why I have to keep my arms higher due to my build.  It also helps me generate more speed than a flat backswing.  

One size does not fit all.   

• Like 1

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

Posted (edited)

Your swing is money though!  Just some small refinements should get you where you want to be.

I have the same problem with the trail hip firing early, this problem may be easily resolved by simple “banking” of the trail foot in transition.  Or just thinking differently about how your feet pressure into the ground in the backswing - ground force reaction stuff.

Edited by thed0n
  • Like 1

Ping 410 LST *9 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 60R

Ping G *14.5, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *18, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Adams DHy Pro *21, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Honma Tw 747P 6-11, Vizard 85S

Vokey SM7 *52.08 F,  UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *56.14 F, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *60.12 D, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Ping Anser 2 Karsten TR, KBS CT Tour Black PVD

This right here is soo good.   I’ve actually had this lesson from my instructor (one of Dana’s friends).  It was good to see it again. Thanks for sharing, GLK.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

To the poster; found it!  Here’s a drill you can try.  When doing the drill try to make your first move the lifting of your arms so the club head starts outside the ball; that should minimize the high hands at the top and cause the wrists to hinge earlier.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CfRWWWxggte/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Edited by thed0n
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

There is so much good stuff going on 

8 hours ago, thed0n said:

This right here is soo good.   I’ve actually had this lesson from my instructor (one of Dana’s friends).  It was good to see it again. Thanks for sharing, GLK.  

THIS THIS THIS ⬆️⬆️⬆️.

I actually love the athletic flow of this swing and the way your arms move. You're really not far off. 

RN you have a slight reverse pivot and that makes you have to stay closed and slide to regain balance. This will mess with the bottom of your swing and cause pushes, hooks, thins, and fats. A slight lateral shift and rotation at the takeaway will help you get to your right side and help you turn a little more level at the start so you can get a bit more depth with your arms naturally. Don't try to do it artificially with your arms, do it dynamically. Anyway, the video will show you...

Edited by Scottbox
  • Like 2

Da Bag...

TM Stealth Plus 9*, Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0

TM Stealth Plus 15*, Project X Hzrdus Smoke Red 6.0 

TM Stealth Hybrid 19*, Project X Hzrdus Smoke Red 6.0 Hybrid

TM 2021 P790 5-PW, TT DGS 105 S

Vokey SM9 Wedgeworks 50/54/58, TT AMT Black S

Ping PVD Black Anser 2, 32"

11 hours ago, thed0n said:

To the poster; found it!  Here’s a drill you can try.  When doing the drill try to make your first move the lifting of your arms so the club head starts outside the ball; that should minimize the high hands at the top and cause the wrists to hinge earlier.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CfRWWWxggte/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Thank you so much, this is all very helpful and informative. I will be working on this all week and report back! 

3 hours ago, Scottbox said:

There is so much good stuff going on 

THIS THIS THIS ⬆️⬆️⬆️.

I actually love the athletic flow of this swing and the way your arms move. You're really not far off. 

RN you have a slight reverse pivot and that makes you have to stay closed and slide to regain balance. This will mess with the bottom of your swing and cause pushes, hooks, thins, and fats. A slight lateral shift and rotation at the takeaway will help you get to your right side and help you turn a little more level at the start so you can get a bit more depth with your arms naturally. Don't try to do it artificially with your arms, do it dynamically. Anyway, the video will show you...

I appreciate the compliments! Awesome to have some positive feedback and helpful tips from ppl here. The reverse pivot - staying closed - slide move describes exactly what I can feel in my swing. I will work on that initial lateral move in the takeaway and see how that effects my depth and transition. I really really appreciate the comments! 

• Like 1

I have trouble reconciling your front video to your dtl video , specifically the movement of your lower body and your foot work

As an example , in the DTL video  at 9:00 going down your trail heel is well off of the ground , almost on your trail toe . At the same point in the front video your trail heel is on  or close to being on the ground . 
During your lower downswing your trail knee is far more bent in the dtl video than the front video

5 hours ago, golfarb1 said:

I have trouble reconciling your front video to your dtl video , specifically the movement of your lower body and your foot work

As an example , in the DTL video  at 9:00 going down your trail heel is well off of the ground , almost on your trail toe . At the same point in the front video your trail heel is on  or close to being on the ground . 
During your lower downswing your trail knee is far more bent in the dtl video than the front video

It is two different swings, and that is something I have been working on. So probably just better technique in one swing than the other. The story of inconsistency