2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

*Graphite Design Lovers Anonymous* Tour AD UB vs IZ vs XC and NOW vs TP! ...and HD....and VR

3 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Not saying they dont have lots of inventory, good items, or etc - they do. But if I call and ask something like that and it's just a flat "No. Okay, bye." on an item thats been sitting for 4 weeks and they dont even try...idk, again, CPO probably ruined my expectations for what I feel is a sizeable operation.

yeah I hear you. I come from customer service industries so always try to give my business to the ones who treat us (the consumer) correctly. Still may dip my toe since the price on the GD stuff is just too good

Edited by ChristopherMcDonald

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

2 minutes ago, ChristopherMcDonald said:

yeah I hear you. I come from customer service industries so always try to give my business to the ones who treat us (the consumer) correctly. Still may dip my toe since the price on the GD stuff is just too good

They said the 20% off from Sunday 'happens like once a month' so if you can wait it out there will be a better price apparently 😂

• Haha 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

1 minute ago, third-times-a-charm said:

They said the 20% off from Sunday 'happens like once a month' so if you can wait it out there will be a better price apparently 😂

the hunt is on LOL

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

On 10/27/2022 at 11:26 AM, ChristopherMcDonald said:

Also, is proclubs on ebay legit? They have some pretty attractive prices on some graphite design shafts, just want to ensure it's not too good to be true

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dkr=1&iconV2Request=true&_blrs=recall_filtering&_ssn=proclubs&store_name=proclubs&_oac=1&_nkw=8+stiff&store_cat=11940484

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334592248458?hash=item4de7408a8a:g:IP0AAOSw8AJjSG3e

I have purchased a ton of stuff from them. They are great to deal with...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

The Graphite Design Tour AD VR 6S shaft came in this week and I put a Cobra tip on it and changed the grip.  Went to the course yesterday and put it up against the Tour AD DI 6S in my Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 driver head.

I will confirm that the Tour AD VR is definitely a lower launching shaft than the Tour AD DI and it is also much easier to turn over and hit a draw with as well. A little too easy it turns out for me.

I had to change the settings on the loft sleeve to add loft and change my start line to get the trajectory and shape I am looking for.

Took the VR to the course for a round of golf and changed back to the DI after 4 holes.  The VR just wanted to go too much to the left for me on the course especially when I leaned into it a bit.  Would be great for someone trying to tame a slice.

Hoping that the IZ and MT shafts that will come in next week will be somewhere between the DI (which is right biased for me) and the VR.

Cobra LTDx LS 9 deg. @ -1 with Diamana ZF 60S

Tour Edge C723 13 deg. with Diamana Thump f75 S

Cobra LTDx 15 deg @ +1.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 70 S

Tour Edge E723 21 deg. with Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 deg 5 hybrid with Fujikura Fuel 85 S

Corey Paul Cavity Back 5-6 with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul Muscle Back 7-PW with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul 50, 54 with KBS Tour V Wedge 125g S

Corey Paul 58 with BGT ZNE 130g Stiff

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour

This is throwing it back a few years but does anyone have any experience with the purple ice shaft in a fairway?  I have an old 07 burner that I wanted to revive and see how it works for me and see if it can be a little better off the deck from the SIM TI I have that I love off the tee but haven’t been great hitting it into par 5s. I found a purple ice 83 x that will likely fit perfect into that for $25. wanted to see what I was getting into. I know it’s somewhat a cult classic shaft but that’s about it.  

8 hours ago, Hoyoymac said:

The Graphite Design Tour AD VR 6S shaft came in this week and I put a Cobra tip on it and changed the grip.  Went to the course yesterday and put it up against the Tour AD DI 6S in my Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 driver head.

I will confirm that the Tour AD VR is definitely a lower launching shaft than the Tour AD DI and it is also much easier to turn over and hit a draw with as well. A little too easy it turns out for me.

I had to change the settings on the loft sleeve to add loft and change my start line to get the trajectory and shape I am looking for.

Took the VR to the course for a round of golf and changed back to the DI after 4 holes.  The VR just wanted to go too much to the left for me on the course especially when I leaned into it a bit.  Would be great for someone trying to tame a slice.

Hoping that the IZ and MT shafts that will come in next week will be somewhere between the DI (which is right biased for me) and the VR.

Funny how all that works because the VR is supposed to be fairly high launch compared to the DI. I'm warming up to the VR I have in a 5-6 wood right now but still not loving it off the deck - but off the tee it's fantastic.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

1 minute ago, larciel said:

Ayone try Tour AD with no tipping? All the shafts I ordered CQ with no tipping and it feels like too wobbly. I haven't hit a ball yet so I'll know more once I hit the range.

I play my driver shafts untipped mostly. I tried tipped .25" in an XC and TP and there was no difference between untipped. No wobbly feel for me but it could be due to the tip stiffness in the shaft - the CQ is supposed to be a softer tip for high launch correct?

38 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Funny how all that works because the VR is supposed to be fairly high launch compared to the DI.

I'll preface this to say that neither the DI nor the VR work well for me.  But I recall that VR launched lower for me, and was more likely to turn over than DI was...

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

33 minutes ago, hawksnest said:

I am new to the world of Graphite Design. I am currently playing an AD UB 6s in my TSR driver. It has been the best driver shaft I have played. Currently looking to upgrade my 3 wood shaft to Graphite Design. For those of you playing  the UB what are you playing in your 3 wood and why? Thanks.

UB on my 3w. 

3 hours ago, hawksnest said:

I am new to the world of Graphite Design. I am currently playing an AD UB 6s in my TSR driver. It has been the best driver shaft I have played. Currently looking to upgrade my 3 wood shaft to Graphite Design. For those of you playing  the UB what are you playing in your 3 wood and why? Thanks.

The TP and HD would be good ones to try - or just another UB 

• Like 1

I had a DI 6s in a TSR3 head and it worked well.  I was looking for more options and tried a TSR2 head with the DI and I was not very impressed.  I plugged the TSR2 head into a UB 6s and it just came to life.  I am sticking with the TSR2 and UB combo for driver.  3 wood and 5 wood I am very happy with the DI 7s and DI 8s.  

On 10/23/2022 at 8:44 PM, mokedaddy said:

The vr 8 is a special fairway shaft.  If you stick with the hd, tp, and vr that is the same setup I’ve used for the last couple years.

I'm gonna quote you again here because as I do more testing and get more comfortable with this combo I think we've found the 'holy trinity of graphite design shafts' 😂

HD 6 > TP 7 > VR 8

This is such a nice combo and all 3 pair perfectly with each other.

• Like 1

Tried the Tour AD IZ 6S yesterday. Tipped 1/2”.

Prior to my round I took it out for a test run and was encouraged.  Definitely seemed like a tighter DI to me.  Was getting very straight shots, not as fade biased as the DI and a bit lower trajectory than the DI.

The wind kicked up during my round and I didn’t play very well but was encouraged enough to give the IZ another go.  Might have to wait a few days due to the approaching Tropical Storm Nicole to pass.

Also received the Tour AD MT shaft but haven’t taken the Callaway tip off and replaced it with a Cobra tip yet.

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS 9 deg. @ -1 with Diamana ZF 60S

Tour Edge C723 13 deg. with Diamana Thump f75 S

Cobra LTDx 15 deg @ +1.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 70 S

Tour Edge E723 21 deg. with Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 deg 5 hybrid with Fujikura Fuel 85 S

Corey Paul Cavity Back 5-6 with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul Muscle Back 7-PW with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul 50, 54 with KBS Tour V Wedge 125g S

Corey Paul 58 with BGT ZNE 130g Stiff

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour

10 minutes ago, Hoyoymac said:

Tried the Tour AD IZ 6S yesterday. Tipped 1/2”.

Prior to my round I took it out for a test run and was encouraged.  Definitely seemed like a tighter DI to me.  Was getting very straight shots, not as fade biased as the DI and a bit lower trajectory than the DI.

The wind kicked up during my round and I didn’t play very well but was encouraged enough to give the IZ another go.  Might have to wait a few days due to the approaching Tropical Storm Nicole to pass.

Also received the Tour AD MT shaft but haven’t taken the Callaway tip off and replaced it with a Cobra tip yet.

I had an MT a long time ago but it was over-tipped for my liking. I think it was like 1.5" in a 3 wood where I usually only tip the recommended .5" so I didnt give it much of a chance. Was supposedly fairly popular when it came out in 2014-ish

6 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I had an MT a long time ago but it was over-tipped for my liking. I think it was like 1.5" in a 3 wood where I usually only tip the recommended .5" so I didnt give it much of a chance. Was supposedly fairly popular when it came out in 2014-ish

I have bunch of TP, IZ driver shafts un-tipped. Should I tip 0.5" to get MF suggested performance?

19 minutes ago, larciel said:

I have bunch of TP, IZ driver shafts un-tipped. Should I tip 0.5" to get MF suggested performance?

No tipping driver, .5" 3 wood, and 1" for 5 wood + is the manufac. recommendation for GD shafts

• Like 1

The mt is somewhat unique in the gd line because it is pretty stiff in the middle.  I had it in my 3 wood prior to the tp and liked it off the tee but personally had trouble elevating it enough off the deck.  Plenty of distance not quite the stopping power I was looking for.

Edited by mokedaddy

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

1 minute ago, larciel said:

Then i hate it even more that TM and titleist tip 0.5" by default. 

Ya I dont buy TM shaft pulls because I never want to chance them being tipped some stupid amount for driver for no reason.

On 11/4/2022 at 8:35 AM, Duffman57 said:

This is throwing it back a few years but does anyone have any experience with the purple ice shaft in a fairway?  I have an old 07 burner that I wanted to revive and see how it works for me and see if it can be a little better off the deck from the SIM TI I have that I love off the tee but haven’t been great hitting it into par 5s. I found a purple ice 83 x that will likely fit perfect into that for $25. wanted to see what I was getting into. I know it’s somewhat a cult classic shaft but that’s about it.  

Been playing the Purple Ice 85g shaft in my hybrid for years. Like it so much, I made sure to purchase a few extra as backups. Broke one a while back after 10+ years but the 2nd one is still going strong. It's to the point that I don't even try anything else.

Also playing the VR6 in the driver, and DI 7 in the 3 wood. 

Edited by Swooshdaddy

1 hour ago, mokedaddy said:

The mt is somewhat unique in the gd line because it is pretty stiff in the middle. 

The DJ (circa 2011) was when GD started adding some stiffness in the mid.  MT, MJ and GT all have a "bump" somewhere between 18-22" from the tip of the shaft.  Technically the BB and XC also have it, but instead of a "bump" where you can see the profile rising again, the profile just levels off in that area before stiffening towards the tip.  The bump is most visible in the MT and MJ.

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

Just threw a bb7s in the 5w and to go full retro, a ys7+ in a mint GBB heaven wood I got for $90 locally here in SWFL … I’ve turned her down to 19* … nice 

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

1 minute ago, cardoustie said:

Just threw a bb7s in the 5w and to go full retro, a ys7+ in a mint GBB heaven wood I got for $90 locally here in SWFL … I’ve turned her down to 19* … nice 

19* 6 wood is my new fav club 

Glad to see others with similar shaft “problems”

• Like 1

EvnRoll ER9

I’m also testing an iz5x in my g400 3w, feel is pretty good

EvnRoll ER9

1 hour ago, hagimihale said:

The DJ (circa 2011) was when GD started adding some stiffness in the mid.  MT, MJ and GT all have a "bump" somewhere between 18-22" from the tip of the shaft.  Technically the BB and XC also have it, but instead of a "bump" where you can see the profile rising again, the profile just levels off in that area before stiffening towards the tip.  The bump is most visible in the MT and MJ.

I feel it more in the mt because the tip is stiffer.  And the mj is softer in both the handle and tip so while there is a bump it’s more because of that than a stiff middle in my opinion.  And the dj i would say is stiffer closer to the handle than the mid.

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black